ADVERTISEMENT

Off Season Q: Greatest IHSA Football Player You've Seen

RB-Justin Jackson-GBN (Put up 300+ yards on teams that hadn't given up 100 up that that point)
Brodner-GBW
Allstott-JC
Dergo, I never got to see him, but I hear he was great.
Tumilty-NC
Geoff Shine-Deerfield
Bobby Sanders-Mt. Carmel

QB-Beujter WWS (60 TD's in 1 season)
Zak Kustok
Tim Lavery-NC
Tim Brylka-WWS
Kent Graham-WN
Mike McGrew-Mt. Carmel
Cory Paus-LW

WR-Schweigardt WWS(25 TD's in 1 season)
Randle El-Thornton

TE-Kellen Winslow-ESL
Tony Moeaki-WWS

RB-Justin Jackson-GBN (Put up 300+ yards on teams that hadn't given up 100 up that that point)
Brodner-GBW
Allstott-JC
Tumilty-NC
Geoff Shine-Deerfield
Bobby Sanders-Mt. Carmel

Zak Kustok
Tim Lavery-NC
Tim Brylka-WWS
Kent Graham-WN
Mike McGrew-Mt. Carmel
Cory Paus-LW

Randle El-Thornton

TE-Kellen Winslow-ESL
Tony Moeaki-WWS
Loved Bobby Sanders, was going to put him over Dorham on my list but Dorham tore it up for 2 years and part of his Sophomore year

Brodner-GBW
Allstott-JC
Tumilty-NC
Geoff Shine-Deerfield
Bobby Sanders-Mt. Carmel

Zak Kustok
Tim Lavery-NC
Tim Brylka-WWS
Kent Graham-WN
Mike McGrew-Mt. Carmel
Cory Paus-LW

Randle El-Thornton

TE-Kellen Winslow-ESL
Tony Moeaki-WWS
This is a good list

Limited to High School career and personal observation limits my list.

RB Wade Weyer - Billy Merek - Jahwon Akwi - John Byrne
LB John Foley - Simeon Rice - Mark Zavagnin
OL Dennis Lick
DL Matt Conrath - Darius Fleming
WR Tony Simmons - Ahmad Merritt
Punter Ryan Donahue
QB McNabb

Limited to High School career and personal observation limits my list.

RB Wade Weyer - Billy Merek - Jahwon Akwi - John Byrne
LB John Foley - Simeon Rice - Mark Zavagnin
OL Dennis Lick
DL Matt Conrath - Darius Fleming
WR Tony Simmons - Ahmad Merritt
Punter Ryan Donahue
QB McNabb
Wade Weyer was a great running back. IHSA grand idea of putting SR and MC against each other in the first round cut his playoff run short or more would remember him

Dick Butkus - CVS High School

I give you credit for admitting that you are old enough to have seen him play in HS. (Just Kidding)

I go pretty far back myself but not that far back. I think the best IHSA LB I actually saw play was Brad Quaast. He went on to IA. and some consider him the greatest LB to ever play there. But because of injuries he didn't go pro.

LB John Foley

tom:

John Foley was the finest football player I ever saw play. He was a virtually unstoppable when playing in the backfield and predator on defense. Tragic his injuries limited playing time after he arrived at Notre Dame. If I recall, one injury was to his neck and another recurring injury hampered him throughout college. After seeing this monster play at Saint Rita, I was convinced his future included greatness at ND and a career in the NFL. I am fairly confident he is living and working in the Chicago area now.

Although he did not play in Illinois, I saw Tommy Maddox in 1989 during a visit to Dallas. A superior passer, he played only two years at UCLA before making the monumental error of declaring early for the draft. Completely underdeveloped for the NFL after only two years in college, Maddox held a clipboard for several years before re-emerging with the Steelers about 15 years ago. He never achieved the potential I saw in 1989. He was brilliant.

tom:

John Foley was the finest football player I ever saw play. He was a virtually unstoppable when playing in the backfield and predator on defense. Tragic his injuries limited playing time after he arrived at Notre Dame. If I recall, one injury was to his neck and another recurring injury hampered him throughout college. After seeing this monster play at Saint Rita, I was convinced his future included greatness at ND and a career in the NFL. I am fairly confident he is living and working in the Chicago area now.

Although he did not play in Illinois, I saw Tommy Maddox in 1989 during a visit to Dallas. A superior passer, he played only two years at UCLA before making the monumental error of declaring early for the draft. Completely underdeveloped for the NFL after only two years in college, Maddox held a clipboard for several years before re-emerging with the Steelers about 15 years ago. He never achieved the potential I saw in 1989. He was brilliant.
Foley getting hurt was a blessing in disguise. I read a great article about how he was a below average student at SR because he was 100% football 24/7. I believe he may have been ineligible his freshman year at ND. Either way he dove into his studies at ND, took advantage of the education and degree from ND and is a very successful businessman in Chicago now.

Foley getting hurt was a blessing in disguise. I read a great article about how he was a below average student at SR because he was 100% football 24/7. I believe he may have been ineligible his freshman year at ND. Either way he dove into his studies at ND, took advantage of the education and degree from ND and is a very successful businessman in Chicago now.
This may be the story you are referring to, Mr. Foley's story should be required reading for incoming football recruits;

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/...cle_b82545a4-363f-11e4-bbce-0017a43b2370.html

Reactions: McCaravan
tom:

Thanks guys. Named USA High School Defensive Player of the Year. In the 1987 game vs Alabama Brent Musburger said John was a future Lombardi Award winner. But he got hurt. He had six months of grueling daily workouts to rehabilitate the severely damaged nerve linking his brain to his right arm. That ended football for John. John's done well since graduating from ND. Last I heard he was an investment banker in Memphis.

Reactions: bronco man
I remember seeing the video of him and Rockhurst that season and damn...
@USD24
If memory serves me correctly, JC (despite losing most off the '01 team) hung in there with them until mid 4th Q. Was 14-9 and he turned a 4th and 6-8 or so screen pass made something out nothing got a first down that kinda clinched it.

Seen live: flozell Adams and it isn’t close
Seen on tv: brian cox
Played against: Kenny carrington

Lee Lafayette (great name as well)
Mike Alstott (man among boys)
Simeon Rice (another man among boys and late bloomer).

Reactions: Bowie50
Dick Butkus - CVS High School
Unstoppable at fullback. Not being able to go in the CPL title game back then was front page Trib news. Would have beaten both Taft and Carmel.. He was that good. Quags may me the only one who knows what I'm talking about

Reactions: Quags57
If you give me 1 person in my generation it's Justin Jackson. If it's not 6 am on the east coast I would think of more.

Lot's of great players mentioned. Limiting it to someone I have seen in person, Riley Lees from Libertyville.

Reactions: mmca
Riley Lees Libertyville, I believe the first to ever pass for 2,000 yards and rush for 2,000 yards in a season.
Mark Carlson Deerfield QB 1975
Awfully glad to see someone remember Mark Carlson. Just an incredible athlete!

Reactions: mmca
Thanks guys. Named USA High School Defensive Player of the Year. In the 1987 game vs Alabama Brent Musburger said John was a future Lombardi Award winner. But he got hurt. He had six months of grueling daily workouts to rehabilitate the severely damaged nerve linking his brain to his right arm. That ended football for John. John's done well since graduating from ND. Last I heard he was an investment banker in Memphis.

As a SR guy, I wanted Foley to star at ND very badly. But to be honest, I don't think he was ever going to start at LB at ND. Wes Pritchett, Mike Stonebraker, and Ned Bolcar were all ahead of Foley on the depth chart in 87 and 88. Foley was moved to DT for the final game against Miami in 87 and also for the bowl game against Texas AM. Ironically, he took away playing time from Brother Rick graduate Gorman. It would have been interesting to see how Foley did on the DL. Presumably, he would have put on 20-30 pounds of muscle. Or maybe played a role similar to that of Frank Stams.

If he didn't get hurt, I still believe Foley would have found a way to be a major contributor at ND. And what a tough SOB. The play that ended his career was a KO return against A&M right before the half. He doesn't even go down to the ground and ran off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT