ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing to Say?

Newt:
I am not this big SEC fan or a B1G hater or fan or a fan of any other conference for that matter. That has allowed me to remain objective on this whole thing. I like college football, but whoever wins, wins. I just want to see good games and good talent.

I can remember watching the Ohio State, Wisconsin conference championship game. I was thinking way back then, if Ohio State wins this game, then maybe no B1G team gets into the tournament. You know as well as I do, the timing of losses can play a huge part in the rankings.

The lone Alabama loss came before the lone Wisconsin loss. If you remember, there was a lot of shifting going on with the top four teams. There is no doubt in my mind if Wisconsin wins that game against OSU they are in and Alabama is out and deservedly so. But wasn't Wisconsin ranked below Alabama before that game they played that last week? If so, I don't know how they could move ahead of Alabama after losing. If my memory is right, it seemed as if OSU was too far down with too many teams in-between to move up to number 4 so quickly too.

All the things that could have fallen in place to keep the B1G out, happened. No matter how this is done, there will always be someone complaining. They will not please everyone and that really shouldn't be their goal. The best four teams should go no matter what. I'll say the same thing next year no matter what happens.

OK here we go. Let's water it down so more teams can get a participation trophy. Sorry, but the 8th ranked team doesn't belong in a tournament. Neither does 5,6 or 7 in my mind. Four is good...no more.

Do you like NCAA March Madness? Not watering down the field by the top 8 teams earning the right to play for a championship.

What about the NFL playoffs? Watered down? I think not.

Basketball and Football are completely different...You aren't playing 2 football games 2 days apart or 4 games in 10 days. The NFL is all about parity and look how that works out. The current system works for now, but the move to the 5 Power Conf Champs getting into the play-off and 3 at large teams makes sense. It puts much more credence on winning your conference and makes the Conf Championship a defacto playoff game. There will always be something else to complain about (strength of conference or division etc) but this just seems logical... for now.

Basketball and Football are completely different...You aren't playing 2 football games 2 days apart or 4 games in 10 days. The NFL is all about parity and look how that works out. The current system works for now, but the move to the 5 Power Conf Champs getting into the play-off and 3 at large teams makes sense. It puts much more credence on winning your conference and makes the Conf Championship a defacto playoff game. There will always be something else to complain about (strength of conference or division etc) but this just seems logical... for now.

Ok... So all power 5 champs get in? What happens when a Pac 12 team that has lost three times and is ranked 22 in the nation beats a USC and wins the PAC 12.

Then you have a 2nd ranked Ohio St that is undefeated but loses to a 2 loss 16th ranked team in the big 10 championship game.

So now we have two teams outside of the top 10 getting in??? Doesn't make sense that those two programs are the best of the best. But they won their conference championship so they deserve to be there??

If you are the conf champ you are the champ! I said 3 at large bids, real simple don't lose the big game! Just like in the NFL lose and go home or in NCAA, etc.

Reactions: mchsalumni
1. It was me who mentioned the participation trophy because that is what it becomes when more teams are let into the tournament.

So you obviously don't understand the concept of a participation trophy, which is baffling to me since you reference it multiple times. Have someone born post-1940 explain it to you.

And as for OSU vs. Alabama, I couldn't care less which scenario. 4 wasn't enough. I have -0- dogs in this fight as my college didn't and still doesn't have football. And if you feel I am defending the B1G, you are sadly mistaken, as I would lean toward SEC football being stronger.

No matter how this is done, there will always be someone complaining. They will not please everyone and that really shouldn't be their goal. The best four teams should go no matter what. I'll say the same thing next year no matter what happens.

There might be someone complaining, but 5 champs plus 3 at large makes it equitable. Maybe we should make all playoffs in all sports at all levels 4 teams since you think it's the perfect scenario?

What bothers me about going to either an 8 or 16 team playoff, is that we are forgetting that the players are also students. Maybe not all, but there are a considerable number of the players that are serious students and it seems that including more teams in the playoffs would extend the championship game well into January.
As it is the season starts in early August and for most FBS teams,(78 teams go to bowls) ends in late December. That is a lot of football.

What bothers me about going to either an 8 or 16 team playoff, is that we are forgetting that the players are also students. Maybe not all, but there are a considerable number of the players that are serious students and it seems that including more teams in the playoffs would extend the championship game well into January.
As it is the season starts in early August and for most FBS teams,(78 teams go to bowls) ends in late December. That is a lot of football.

I guess the 1-AA, D 2 and D 3 kids aren't students??? I hate when I hear that as an excuse. NCAA basketball lids miss more class then football. Baseball misses more than both. You never hear that excuse for them though.

Poor kids!!!! Travel on Friday and play on Sat.... Come on man... In my best Cris Carter voice....

Reactions: mchsalumni
Four is enough. With eight, you're likely to have two or three schools with two losses each. Unacceptable. Sorry.

Also, the tourney would drag on too long. I haven't seen the ratings, but last night's game didn't generate the hoopla I expected.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76

It's one extra game for 2 teams. Not exactly a big extension, and most schools aren't in 2nd semester yet.

Four is enough. With eight, you're likely to have two or three schools with two losses each. Unacceptable. Sorry.

Also, the tourney would drag on too long. I haven't seen the ratings, but last night's game didn't generate the hoopla I expected.
Excellent post and I agree 100%. We do have far too many bowl games as well. They should just keep the major ones and get rid of most of them. Who watches all the bowl games anyway? It gets tiring to see two sub par teams playing in a small half full stadium.

Excellent post and I agree 100%. We do have far too many bowl games as well. They should just keep the major ones and get rid of most of them. Who watches all the bowl games anyway? It gets tiring to see two sub par teams playing in a small half full stadium.

This isn't about the other bowl games. I don't disagree that there are a ton of bowl games. I don't watch all of them, but it is nice to watch football. Regardless if it's for the National Championship or a random game in Sept. Still great to watch football. Plus, what do the other bowl games hurt anyway?

A few good things about them

1). Great experiences for the kids. Remember, it's all about the kids. Not our like or dislike of the bowl games.

2). More practice time for the teams. Gives coaches a chance to get kids who haven't seen the field much more reps.

3). More football to watch. How excited are you all about the next 7 months of OTA's, NBA, NHL and the next 2 months of NCAA hoops(excluding March Madness)?

If you are the conf champ you are the champ! I said 3 at large bids, real simple don't lose the big game! Just like in the NFL lose and go home or in NCAA, etc.
This is where we disagree and it is exactly what is wrong with the NFL playoffs. As far as the NFL is concerned, just because a team wins their division isn't always a reason to put them in the playoffs and to give them a round one home game to boot. I think that is wrong.

Go back to the 2010 season. The Seattle Seahawks won their division with a terrible 7-9 record. Not only were they given a playoff berth, they got a home game in round one. Meanwhile the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ended up 10-6 and didn't get into the playoffs. A team with a .439 winning pct. gets in but a team with a .625 winning pct. doesn't? That is a disgrace. If a team can't win more games than they lose, they don't belong in the post season, period.

Almost every year there is a team with more wins than a division winner that doesn't make the playoffs. That is wrong. I have been saying for years, the NFL should do it like the NBA does or did. Not sure if they do it anymore. But their idea was to take the top 8 records from each conference and put them in the post season. If one division sends six teams and the other sends two, too bad. The NHL had it right too, but then they went to the stupid current format.

This isn't about the other bowl games. I don't disagree that there are a ton of bowl games. I don't watch all of them, but it is nice to watch football. Regardless if it's for the National Championship or a random game in Sept. Still great to watch football. Plus, what do the other bowl games hurt anyway?

A few good things about them

1). Great experiences for the kids. Remember, it's all about the kids. Not our like or dislike of the bowl games.

2). More practice time for the teams. Gives coaches a chance to get kids who haven't seen the field much more reps.

3). More football to watch. How excited are you all about the next 7 months of OTA's, NBA, NHL and the next 2 months of NCAA hoops(excluding March Madness)?
And more teams getting participation trophies. It is overdone.But that is my opinion and you have yours. That is the good thing about this board. Everyone has an opinion.

The ratings were huge. ESPN is very happy.

And more teams getting participation trophies. It is overdone.But that is my opinion and you have yours. That is the good thing about this board. Everyone has an opinion.

How would more teams be getting trophies? Still only have one champion

These games would just replace the bowl system.

Top 16 teams currently play 9 games, with a 16 team bracket there would be 15 games. Extra 6 games to an entire season going to kill anyone?

Participation trophy??? Hahaha. That's a joke. I don't believe in them and never will.

Is the Perp Bowl a participation trophy?

I guess when the IHSA does the 3rd place game for their sports, that's a participation trophy as well???

Participation trophy??? Hahaha. That's a joke. I don't believe in them and never will.

Is the Perp Bowl a participation trophy?

I guess when the IHSA does the 3rd place game for their sports, that's a participation trophy as well???
Very good. Yes, it is a joke. Thank you.

Agree with all but this as they didn't "earn" the spot. This whole thing is a sham until they take the winners of the power 5 and 3 at large bids and make it 8 teams.

Valid point however Bama would have still won. Pac 12 was horrible and Ohio State didn't show up last year against Clemson. I don't know if I will call it a sham however I do agree that there are several arguments that were valid pre playoffs this year.

Valid point however Bama would have still won. Pac 12 was horrible and Ohio State didn't show up last year against Clemson. I don't know if I will call it a sham however I do agree that there are several arguments that were valid pre playoffs this year.
You will never please everyone. First, some of these people wanted a playoff because SEC teams were finishing 1st in the polls too often and they didn't think that was fair and ESPN sucks, and, and, and.... That was a good enough idea. So, a playoff was created and these people said, "now we'll see who wins all of these championships." But oops, the SEC has put a team in the championship game every year and won 2 out of 4 championships. Now their cry is to add more teams because "now we will see who wins all the championships."

Just like the publics complaining about the privates winning too many state championships and it wasn't fair, and, and, and.... So, a multiplier was added. But oops, MC goes out there and wins 8A and messes everything up again!! How dare they? Now some of them want to separate from the privates among other things.

It's a game of "play my way or I am taking my ball and going home." And "if you win with my rules, then I am changing them."

Whether they realize it or not, their goal is to create parity. All parity does in the end is to lower all boats in an attempt to make outcomes equal and that's wrong.

You will never please everyone. First, some of these people wanted a playoff because SEC teams were finishing 1st in the polls too often and they didn't think that was fair and ESPN sucks, and, and, and.... That was a good enough idea. So, a playoff was created and these people said, "now we'll see who wins all of these championships." But oops, the SEC has put a team in the championship game every year and won 2 out of 4 championships. Now their cry is to add more teams because "now we will see who wins all the championships."

Just like the publics complaining about the privates winning too many state championships and it wasn't fair, and, and, and.... So, a multiplier was added. But oops, MC goes out there and wins 8A and messes everything up again!! How dare they? Now some of them want to separate from the privates among other things.

It's a game of "play my way or I am taking my ball and going home." And "if you win with my rules, then I am changing them."

Whether they realize it or not, their goal is to create parity. All parity does in the end is to lower all boats in an attempt to make outcomes equal and that's wrong.

The goal shouldn't be to please everyone however, things should be a little more concrete to eliminate the perception of bias. I personally think they got it right for top 4 teams Jan 1st versus top 4 teams at the time of selection. If the playoffs started a week or two after the selection day, Bama would not have performed as well as they did in January. Before injuries, they were the best team in college football which showed at the end. I personally liked Penn State over both Ohio State and Wisconsin but that is just an opinion. Hurts and JT are one in the same which is why I don't think Ohio State was a top 4 team. The best thing that happen to OSU was JT getting injured in 2014

Reactions: LTHSALUM76

Not sure if trolling or just lacking any common sense? This has nothing to do with SEC dominance in the BCS era. The SEC could win the next 10 and it would matter nothing to me. Combine this with your lack of understanding what parity means is actually creating wrinkles on my forehead as I type.

Not sure if trolling or just lacking any common sense? This has nothing to do with SEC dominance in the BCS era. The SEC could win the next 10 and it would matter nothing to me. Combine this with your lack of understanding what parity means is actually creating wrinkles on my forehead as I type.
Let me ask you a question because I'd like to know the answer. Why is it people like you feel compelled to get personal and attempt to throw insults out at those who disagree with you? Your attempted insults don't bother me. I am just curious as to why guys like you show anger when discussing a subject.

I see this all the time on this board and it's puzzling to me. It is the same guys all the time too. Someone disagrees and the insults come out and the other person's intelligence is questioned. Just because they disagree and have an opinion of their own. Does this give you some sense of superiority? Or is it because you are a paying member which, you think, gives you the right to say anything you want to anyone? What makes you think you are more intelligent than anyone on this board?

It is a big mistake to underestimate the intelligence of others while overestimating your own intelligence.

I said in another post that I participate in here, but when the conversation turns personal and the insults come out I lose interest.

Again, your insults don't bother me. I just shake my head and laugh. I haven't been here very long and there have been times when thought about becoming a paying member because I like the info. But this is exactly why I don't and I would guess it may be why others don't either.

If it makes you feel better carry on. I just don't see the sense in it. We aren't curing cancer here.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
Let me ask you a question because I'd like to know the answer. Why is it people like you feel compelled to get personal and attempt to throw insults out at those who disagree with you? Your attempted insults don't bother me. I am just curious as to why guys like you show anger when discussing a subject.

I see this all the time on this board and it's puzzling to me. It is the same guys all the time too. Someone disagrees and the insults come out and the other person's intelligence is questioned. Just because they disagree and have an opinion of their own. Does this give you some sense of superiority? Or is it because you are a paying member which, you think, gives you the right to say anything you want to anyone? What makes you think you are more intelligent than anyone on this board?

It is a big mistake to underestimate the intelligence of others while overestimating your own intelligence.

I said in another post that I participate in here, but when the conversation turns personal and the insults come out I lose interest.

Again, your insults don't bother me. I just shake my head and laugh. I haven't been here very long and there have been times when thought about becoming a paying member because I like the info. But this is exactly why I don't and I would guess it may be why others don't either.

If it makes you feel better carry on. I just don't see the sense in it. We aren't curing cancer here.

Ok, no more insults. Can you please explain to me what parity means to you?

Reactions: Bowie50
Ok, no more insults. Can you please explain to me what parity means to you?
Interesting question. First you wonder if I lack common sense, then you say I have a lack of understanding of what parity means. Then you top it off by asking me what parity means to me.

You do realize this is a subjective question, correct? So, my meaning of parity and yours could be different with no one being right or wrong, right? I rest my case.

You do realize this is a subjective question, correct? So, my meaning of parity and yours could be different with no one being right or wrong, right? I rest my case.

It's actually not subjective, there is a definition of parity. It just seems like you are applying a different definition.

It's actually not subjective, there is a definition of parity. It just seems like you are applying a different definition.
Yes there is a definition. But you didn't ask me what the definition is. You asked me what MY definition is. Yes, that is a subjective question.

But, I am not going to waste any more time on such a fruitless debate. I'd prefer to end things here before it heads toward the sewer, as so many other debates have on this board. Let's just say we don't agree and leave it at that.

No sense in burning bridges because it's likely we'll agree on something else in the near future. Have a good week end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT