ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing to Say?

LTHSALUM76

Aug 27, 2014
I am surprised no one has talked about the Georgia, Alabama game tonight for all the marbles. I am picking Alabama to win another national title.

For me, no Big "Ten" or Upper Midwest representation nor alma mater of my undergrad or grad school, so no emotional involvement here. Story lines not grabbing me, including the Saban assistant business. Surely enough commercials to post during the game, however!

Don’t care how much ESPN wants me to believe it, this is not good football

Lake,

I enjoy your Insight on a lot of topics. Can you tell me why this isn't good football?

Lake,

I enjoy your Insight on a lot of topics. Can you tell me why this isn't good football?

Georgia is impressive offensively Alabama defense is good not Alabama good.

Alabama’s offense is offensive.

Don’t care what ESPN tells me but jalen Hurts is a running back imitating a Qb.

Good players for sure - good overall teams not so much.

Georgia is impressive offensively Alabama defense is good not Alabama good.

Alabama’s offense is offensive.

Don’t care what ESPN tells me but jalen Hurts is a running back imitating a Qb.

Good players for sure - good overall teams not so much.

Agree with this sentiment. I wouldn't be surprised if Jalen Hurts is not the starting QB next year. Big Bulldog fan thanks to HW. Go Dawgs!

Lake,

Who would you like to have seen play in the game? I look on the field and I see speed, size, great coaching and amazing athleticism.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Lake,

Who would you like to have seen play in the game? I look on the field and I see speed, size, great coaching and amazing athleticism.
It took Georgia all of 2 possessions to realize all they had to do was spy Hurts, and that he was unable to throw the ball downfield. Saban is gonna look like a genius for going with the lefty in the 2nd half, when in all reality, it was Bamas only realistic chance to move the ball

Lake,

Still had an issue with. Team that couldn’t win its own conference playing in the playoff.

People rant and rave about the power of the Sec but once you get past the top three it want a very good year at all for the league.

Despite two losses Ohio st should have been given the fourth spot. The Iowa loss was the reason of course but I didn’t come away impressed with this Bama team. They got in on what they have done in the past vs what they did this year.

When your best regular season win was vs Mississippi st who a week later lost to a brutally bad Mississippi team that’s not much of a schedule.

Amazing game with true freshmen coming up big on large stage. Congrats to Bama - Roll Tide. Saban tying the Bear for NC wins is a huge accomplishment. People might not like him, but he is flat out a good football coach.

I don’t ever believe in one person winning or losing a game but you could make a case to me about Saban last night. When he went with the Freshmen to start the second half I thought he was a bit desperate, he proved me wrong. One of the best halftime adjustments I’ve ever seen and in the biggest game of the year.

Still had an issue with. Team that couldn’t win its own conference playing in the playoff.

People rant and rave about the power of the Sec but once you get past the top three it want a very good year at all for the league.

Despite two losses Ohio st should have been given the fourth spot. The Iowa loss was the reason of course but I didn’t come away impressed with this Bama team. They got in on what they have done in the past vs what they did this year.

When your best regular season win was vs Mississippi st who a week later lost to a brutally bad Mississippi team that’s not much of a schedule.
Sounds like someone is jealous here. But there may be some people who would agree with you. Like the people of Clemson. I guarantee they wanted Ohio State instead of Alabama in that first game of the tournament. I don't feel like OSU would have beaten Clemson and Alabama dominated that game. Remember, they scored 24 points against a team that had 4 D-Linemen who will probably be drafted each in the first two rounds.

Things just fell in place against the B1G. If Wisconsin had beaten Ohio State for the B1G championship they would have been in the playoff, no doubt. I believe Alabama was ranked ahead of Wisconsin before they lost to OSU. Alabama didn't play in the last week but lost to Auburn in the SEC title game the week before. So, with the Wisconsin loss they couldn't leap-frog Alabama. I think Ohio State was too far down the ladder to get to the top 4 at the time too.

I thought OSU might go to the tournament for winning the B1G, but apparently there were those who felt Alabama is a better team. And isn't that what we want? The best four teams? I might have agreed with you if Alabama had lost to Clemson. But they didn't. Your statement of Ohio State being "given" the birth says a lot. I feel like the four teams in the playoff earned the berth.

If you weren't impressed with Alabama that is your opinion. But they beat two damned good teams to win it all didn't they? That in itself is impressive. You said it wasn't good football in another post. That is your personal feelings getting in the way of your objectivity. This was very good football and the Georgia, Oklahoma game and Alabama, Georgia game were both excellent games. Name me a team that was better than the four that participated in the playoff.

Finally, you say Alabama got in mostly because of their past and not because of the present. Well, someone knew something because 'Bama won it all. Presently they are the NCAA champions.

Finally, you say Alabama got in mostly because of their past and not because of the present. Well, someone knew something because 'Bama won it all. Presently they are the NCAA champions.

Agree with all but this as they didn't "earn" the spot. This whole thing is a sham until they take the winners of the power 5 and 3 at large bids and make it 8 teams.

Felt bad for the Parrish kid, was getting beat the entire night and Georgia gave him very little safety help.. on that last play he almost gave up, threw his arms up..

Agree with all but this as they didn't "earn" the spot. This whole thing is a sham until they take the winners of the power 5 and 3 at large bids and make it 8 teams.

Hard to take the winners of the power 5 every year. Sometimes a team that may have lost 3 games but win their conference would get in. Are they one of the best 8? I don't think so.

I do hope they go to 8 teams. Then losing a game late doesn't kill your chances to get in. And it would create more meaningful games to watch come November.

Hard to take the winners of the power 5 every year. Sometimes a team that may have lost 3 games but win their conference would get in. Are they one of the best 8? I don't think so.

I do hope they go to 8 teams. Then losing a game late doesn't kill your chances to get in. And it would create more meaningful games to watch come November.
But then we have the "9th best" team in the country complaining about not getting in. It goes on, and on, and on.

OK here we go. Let's water it down so more teams can get a participation trophy. Sorry, but the 8th ranked team doesn't belong in a tournament. Neither does 5,6 or 7 in my mind. Four is good...no more.

But then we have the "9th best" team in the country complaining about not getting in. It goes on, and on, and on.
Exactly. Where do you stop? What the hell! Let's just put the top 20 teams in. Four is good.

OK here we go. Let's water it down so more teams can get a participation trophy. Sorry, but the 8th ranked team doesn't belong in a tournament. Neither does 5,6 or 7 in my mind. Four is good...no more.

So IHSA should do the same??? Each class has 4 teams?

Tempted to go on a rant, but won't...not sure what some of you guys on here know about football, but bottom line, Bama and Georgia very good teams, great game, Saban a great coach and Kirby will win one or two as well! Roll Tide!

Do you know what I see as being ridiculous here? Just a few short years ago there were those who were complaining that the NCAA had no football playoffs and the rankings didn't mean anything and Alabama was always ranked high, blah, blah, blah. Well, you got your playoff. What has happened? Alabama has played in the last three championship games and won two. You still think they don't belong?

The B1G has had their chances. Ohio State won the first one in 2015. Since then, the B1G hasn't scored a single point as Alabama drilled Michigan state 38-0 in 2016 and Clemson smoked Ohio State 31-0 last year. It's not like they haven't been there.

But here is the irony. When we talk HS football and a private school beats a public school, some of the public people say the system isn't fair...recruiting, etc., etc. So, some of the private school guys say, "stop trying to change the rules and get better." OK fine. No doubt, some of the same guys will say this is a "sham" or the rules need to be changed. Well, I guess I have to say, stop trying to change the rules and get better. Yes?

Felt bad for the Parrish kid, was getting beat the entire night and Georgia gave him very little safety help.. on that last play he almost gave up, threw his arms up..
Gotta wonder why Parrish did not carry the route into the endzone or at least collide it. Even if he had the short underneath zone, no receiving threat was appearing there. The closest target was the #3 receiver from the strong side who looked bracketed by 2 other defenders in the medium depth middle area. Why drop into a space with no receiving threat there?

May I vent on the broadcasting?
  • Too often I forget to turn the volume way down when Herbstreit is doing the color. So many of his "observations" have no foundation in reality that he just fills in the time with blatherings about whatever pops into his mind of fantasy. His exaggeration and hyperbole are insufferable as everything and everyone is "among the top in the country."
  • By this time of the year, I am so done with the eye candy sideline "reporters" and their lazy post-game interview questions. Fill in the blank: "Describe how you felt when ................." This tired inquiry is the best that can be presented to the viewers? Click!
Thanks ... that feels better.

If the playoffs expanded to 8 no Non Power 5 team would get in.Btw 98 Tulane would have killed Tennessee

Reactions: USD24

Maybe old age is getting to you.

1. Who said shite about a participation trophy?
2. The team that won didn't even win their conference, so wtf?

Tempted to go on a rant, but won't...not sure what some of you guys on here know about football, but bottom line, Bama and Georgia very good teams, great game, Saban a great coach and Kirby will win one or two as well! Roll Tide!

Thanks?

Exactly.

As consumers of football, of course we'd like to see the playoff go to 8 or even 16 teams. It'd give us more games to watch, maybe some close ones, and more fan bases would be involved. However, you don't need more than 4 teams to determine the champion.

The playoff format is still young, and there have been blowout semifinal games more often than not (this year was an exception). There is no compelling reason to go to 8 teams to determine a champion.

The one brick that would have to move in order to create justification for expansion to 8 or even 16, is getting rid of the conference championship games (and making all conferences play 9 conference games...looking at you, SEC). Then you'd have a legit reason to bring say both Ohio State and Wisconsin into the mix, because they hadn't played each other. Conferences cherish their championship games though, and make a lot of money off them. They also serve as defacto playoff games right now. I just don't see all the P5 conferences agreeing to give those up, for the good of an 8 team playoff....yet.

Iowa

And gave up 55 points to an Iowa team that went 6-6.

Newt, Ohio State got the benefit of the doubt in '14 and got in and won the whole thing. Alabama did the same this year. It happens and probably evens out over time.

I think we are at the threshold of 8 teams. For every argument any one makes there is a counter. People say Iowa for Ohio State - I say Mercer.

Alabama proved it should be there. Will never know if Ohio State could have done just as well.

This needs to go to an 8-team playoff sooner rather than later.

Maybe old age is getting to you.

1. Who said shite about a participation trophy?
2. The team that won didn't even win their conference, so wtf?
You are a funny guy. Show me a guy here who isn't getting older and I'll show you a guy who is dead. I like the idea of getting older more than the alternative...yes?

1. It was me who mentioned the participation trophy because that is what it becomes when more teams are let into the tournament.

2. The best team won. Isn't that what you want? Of course it is. The four best teams were in, whether you like it or not. I don't think Ohio State was good enough to participate. But, more importantly, those who make the decisions as to who will enter the tournament didn't think so either.

It's not about who won their conference. If that was true where was the PAC 12 conference winner? Oh yeah, they lost more than 1 game. From your definition that winner should have been in. It's about the best four teams. Ohio State lost 2 games. Every team that came into the tournament lost 1 game. This was the most fair and objective way to fill the tournament. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the system is flawed.

I guarantee if the roles were reversed and "Bama was held out and won their conference and Ohio state was in and didn't win theirs, we wouldn't hear a peep out of you. Don't let your emotions get in the way of being objective.

I think we are at the threshold of 8 teams. For every argument any one makes there is a counter. People say Iowa for Ohio State - I say Mercer.

Alabama proved it should be there. Will never know if Ohio State could have done just as well.

This needs to go to an 8-team playoff sooner rather than later.
I respect your opinion. I just disagree. Four is enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT