ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern

I stand corrected on the Kool-Aid! Thank you!

There’s no hate here whatsoever for the kid! Never has and never will be. I’ve never met him nor would I even remotely comment in any way about him as a person, teammate, husband, or a son.

For the record, I’ve MENTIONED NOTHING PERSONAL NOR HAVE I SUGGESTED ANYTHING THATS NOT IDENTIFIABLE BY BLACK AND WHITE NUMBERS OR FILM BASED STRICTLY ON PERFORMANCES!!!! This is about football on the field, And the decision making jags at NU.

So piss off Seyton. If you think my being pissed about a kid getting the shaft and saying so reflects on the kid... well, that alone speaks volumes. Might you be in purple? This is MY opinion. PERIOD.

If I have represented otherwise I sincerely apologize to anyone I may have offended including Clayton himself. There’s no question in my mind he is in fact doing the very best he can.

My issue is with the Buffoon Mitch McCall, and the the other car salesman Fitz.

I can assure you, having been on this board for almost 10 years, I can certainly without question whatsoever suggest that many of the people on this board as well as people on this thread, had they seen and heard what I have over the last 5 years, they would be as vocal and pissed about it as I have been. Sometimes you see and hear and think to yourself “ this can’t be”, but it is.

Should we replay the Wisconsin debacle?

I see you Fellas are all in for Chicago’s Big10 team.
Enjoy the ride this year, it’s going to be a long one!

I was just pointing something out for your consideration, that's all.

I stand corrected on the Kool-Aid! Thank you!

There’s no hate here whatsoever for the kid! Never has and never will be. I’ve never met him nor would I even remotely comment in any way about him as a person, teammate, husband, or a son.

For the record, I’ve MENTIONED NOTHING PERSONAL NOR HAVE I SUGGESTED ANYTHING THATS NOT IDENTIFIABLE BY BLACK AND WHITE NUMBERS OR FILM BASED STRICTLY ON PERFORMANCES!!!! This is about football on the field, And the decision making jags at NU.

So piss off Seyton. If you think my being pissed about a kid getting the shaft and saying so reflects on the kid... well, that alone speaks volumes. Might you be in purple? This is MY opinion. PERIOD.

If I have represented otherwise I sincerely apologize to anyone I may have offended including Clayton himself. There’s no question in my mind he is in fact doing the very best he can.

My issue is with the Buffoon Mitch McCall, and the the other car salesman Fitz.

I can assure you, having been on this board for almost 10 years, I can certainly without question whatsoever suggest that many of the people on this board as well as people on this thread, had they seen and heard what I have over the last 5 years, they would be as vocal and pissed about it as I have been. Sometimes you see and hear and think to yourself “ this can’t be”, but it is.

Should we replay the Wisconsin debacle?

I see you Fellas are all in for Chicago’s Big10 team.
Enjoy the ride this year, it’s going to be a long one!

I don't have a dog in this fight either, but when you call a kid a "PUTZ" and state that "he SUCKS", that sounds pretty personal to me. I know if that was my son, I would be really disappointed that someone would feel the need to come on a high school football board and say that about my kid. That's fine that you think Alviti got the shaft at NU, but your anger about that is the primary thing that comes through in your posts. It's obvious you don't think much of Clayton as a QB, but clearly you are in the minority on that opinion. All you need to do is google Clayton's name as an NFL prospect and you will get many different opinions contrary to yours. You're not mentioned as a potential high NFL draft choice (or a late round NFL draft choice for that matter) if you "SUCK" or are a "PUTZ"

Reactions: Bwm57
You're not mentioned as a potential high NFL draft choice (or a late round NFL draft choice for that matter) if you "SUCK" or are a "PUTZ"

I’m steering clear of the Northwestern coaches and QB discussions as I have no clue about any of that. I root for Northwestern primarily for 3 reasons:
1. They keep a very high acadmemic standard and will only be flexible to a point and that is admirable considering it hurts their competitiveness and limits their pool of kids to pick from.
2. A lot of local kids on the team in any given year and I like to watch kids I saw in high school play on Saturday’s
3 my brother went there.

All that said - I beleive you can be a Putz and Suck and still be a potential NFL draft choice. I give you..... Ryan Leaf as Example A. (And to get the thread resurrected - example B can be Cutler).

All that said - I beleive you can be a Putz and Suck and still be a potential NFL draft choice. I give you..... Ryan Leaf as Example A. (And to get the thread resurrected - example B can be Cutler).

Can't argue about Ryan Leaf, but that was only determined after he was drafted, not before. He was seen as having a lot of talent coming out of college. As for Cutler, I'm going to pass on that one.

Regardless of draft prospect, as a collegiate QB he hasn't sucked either.
Epic I respectfully disagree.

If the exact same stats were listed for a QB at most other top 25 ncaa programs or the nfl, They would be calling for change.

In either case... this horse is dead, and we will never know.

Let's look at this objectively. There are 5 power conferences and let's compare the other 4 most similarly rated QB's to Thorson. (I'm using the 2018 QB rating at ESPN.com to identify the other QB's).

B1G 10 - Thorson, 124.7 rating. Team is 2-3, no call for QB change
ACC - Wake Forest QB, 124.3 rating. Team is 3-3, no call for QB change
SEC - LSU QB, 125.4 rating. Team is 5-1, no call for QB change
Big 12 - KSU QB, 123.2 rating. Team is 2-4 and head coach wanted QB change. Back up got some reps in games 4 and 5, but did not play game 6.
Pac 12 - USC QB, 127.4 rating. Team is 3-2, no call for QB change.

The worst team in this bunch is Kansas State and yes, the head coach threatened a QB change. Looks like things have settled down and he starter remains in place. That's 1 out of 5 power conferences where a similarly rated QB might have been changed out. Might.

By any objective measure, Thorson is not being treated any differently than how other similar QB's are being treated in the highest level of college football. Sure there's stuff that goes on behind the scenes and no two situations are the same, but the NU coaches are not outliers in how they play Thorson and support his productivity.

Let's look at this objectively. There are 5 power conferences and let's compare the other 4 most similarly rated QB's to Thorson. (I'm using the 2018 QB rating at ESPN.com to identify the other QB's).

B1G 10 - Thorson, 124.7 rating. Team is 2-3, no call for QB change
ACC - Wake Forest QB, 124.3 rating. Team is 3-3, no call for QB change
SEC - LSU QB, 125.4 rating. Team is 5-1, no call for QB change
Big 12 - KSU QB, 123.2 rating. Team is 2-4 and head coach wanted QB change. Back up got some reps in games 4 and 5, but did not play game 6.
Pac 12 - USC QB, 127.4 rating. Team is 3-2, no call for QB change.

The worst team in this bunch is Kansas State and yes, the head coach threatened a QB change. Looks like things have settled down and he starter remains in place. That's 1 out of 5 power conferences where a similarly rated QB might have been changed out. Might.

By any objective measure, Thorson is not being treated any differently than how other similar QB's are being treated in the highest level of college football. Sure there's stuff that goes on behind the scenes and no two situations are the same, but the NU coaches are not outliers in how they play Thorson and support his productivity.

Fair point on rating alone.

Alas... another defining game!!!

A 68.4 rating today with 3 tds and two ints against the worst team in the Big 10

Keep the Kool-Aid flowing boys, you’ve stood behind a true “winner”!!!!

A 68.4 rating today with 3 tds and two ints against the worst team in the Big 10

Whoa not quite the worst team in the big ten. Champaign and Piscataway say hello

Yet they won again with 35 yards rushing.
You are embarrassing the Alviti family.

Actually PRokie, let me ask you how many of these games have you actually seen in person this year?
Last year?
The two years before that?
Just curious, if you are you talking about what it is you saw,
Or just repeating what it was you heard?
(Credit Jefferson Starship)

Does anyone else find this guy's obsession with Matt Alviti very creepy?

I’m not sure why you are still allowed on here?
The attacks on a college kid because you are buthurt is very sad but I hope it makes you feel big.

I’m not sure why you are still allowed on here?
The attacks on a college kid because you are buthurt is very sad but I hope it makes you feel big.
Folks...there is nothing to see here. Nebraska had to invent ways to give Northwestern this game. To think this is a good team in Evanston that is being discussed is ridiculous. The midwest attitude of viewing Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and Notre Dame, and believing you are watching quality NCAA football is at best delusional.

Folks...there is nothing to see here. Nebraska had to invent ways to give Northwestern this game. To think this is a good team in Evanston that is being discussed is ridiculous. The midwest attitude of viewing Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and Notre Dame, and believing you are watching quality NCAA football is at best delusional.

Huh?
What does your response have to do with what I posted?

Find me a truly elite team this year in college football?

Before you say Alabama, I would say Lincoln Way East has played a tougher schedule.

Find me a truly elite team this year in college football?

Before you say Alabama, I would say Lincoln Way East has played a tougher schedule.
Newt...I said good not elite. Choosing to argue QB ratings of a below average program against a winless Nebraska team ? I agree that it is abusive to the athletes involved in the discussion but realistically the Coaching staff in Evanston is searching at best for answers and having made the $ investments to the program could not have come at a worse time for them.

Newt...I said good not elite. Choosing to argue QB ratings of a below average program against a winless Nebraska team ? I agree that it is abusive to the athletes involved in the discussion but realistically the Coaching staff in Evanston is searching at best for answers and having made the $ investments to the program could not have come at a worse time for them.

Then you must have missed the kid whose transferring in from Clemson to play QB next fall.

Hard to argue the job Fitz has done there.

Who said they are good?

I was at the game yesterday. NW should not of won that game but Thorson simply made some throws into windows where receivers were not open at times to make the plays when NW needed them. What was more amazing was the fact he threw it 60+ times and the offensive line didn’t have a single holding penalty.

You're talking about Northwestern? Are you bashing NU the same way the other guy is bashing Thorson? Ha.

NU is 90-68 under Fitz, and 3-5 in bowl games. If that's "searching for answers", I'll take more of that please. Nothing about that is "below average" either. Is the Big 10 West the gauntlet? Heck no, nobody's saying it is. NU doesn't belong in the same conversation as OSU/PSU/ND, but they hold their own quite well. Compared to their true peers, such as Duke and Stanford, they do just fine. And good for them for having made significant investments in their football program, it's great to see.

Reactions: Gene K. and Seyton
You're talking about Northwestern? Are you bashing NU the same way the other guy is bashing Thorson? Ha.

NU is 90-68 under Fitz, and 3-5 in bowl games. If that's "searching for answers", I'll take more of that please. Nothing about that is "below average" either. Is the Big 10 West the gauntlet? Heck no, nobody's saying it is. NU doesn't belong in the same conversation as OSU/PSU/ND, but they hold their own quite well. Compared to their true peers, such as Duke and Stanford, they do just fine. And good for them for having made significant investments in their football program, it's great to see.

Sorry I wouldn’t put NU in the same category as Stanford.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

Are we talking football or an SAT score? I am bashing only the comparing of yesterday’s performance against a winless team, with no rudder, Nebraska, and using the QB rating as a ha, ha moment vs. PRookie.Thorson was the only positive for Northwestern yesterday. If you were in Nebraska listening to that end of the broadcast you may have heard the lack of penalty calls in the game differently. How about the rush game for Northwestern? How about the defense and total yards in that game until the last drive in regulation? This game was a gift with a Big Red bow for Fitz. I am not at all a negative Northwestern guy...just keep it real in your hype.

Facts aren’t hype. NU is not a below average program by any measure. I’m not an NU supporter at all, and sure Big Red may have gifted the game to NU (I didnt watch, I was down in Champaign, but that’s another story). NU wins some strange games (like yesterday) and they lose some goofy ones as well (Akron). They do that every year it seems.

I don’t at all consider them a top 25 team but I give them high marks for hanging with a rapidly rising Michigan team a few weeks ago, and also beating MSU, who just beat PSU.

Reactions: Gene K.
Are we talking football or an SAT score? I am bashing only the comparing of yesterday’s performance against a winless team, with no rudder, Nebraska, and using the QB rating as a ha, ha moment vs. PRookie.Thorson was the only positive for Northwestern yesterday. If you were in Nebraska listening to that end of the broadcast you may have heard the lack of penalty calls in the game differently. How about the rush game for Northwestern? How about the defense and total yards in that game until the last drive in regulation? This game was a gift with a Big Red bow for Fitz. I am not at all a negative Northwestern guy...just keep it real in your hype.
What hype?

Reactions: Seyton

I remember the hapless NU teams that wouldnt win any games and be O for. They have come a long ways and are competitive and make Bowl games and occasionally have a really good team. That is huge.

In terms of football success the last 10 years or so - they are nowhere close to Stanford in my opinion.

Reactions: Gene K.
I remember the hapless NU teams that wouldnt win any games and be O for. They have come a long ways and are competitive and make Bowl games and occasionally have a really good team. That is huge.

In terms of football success the last 10 years or so - they are nowhere close to Stanford in my opinion.

Stanford definitely above NU in terms of performance, no debating that. I said they "hold their own" against their peers.

I grabbed the records for the last 5 full years for their peers. For kicks I threw in ND as well.

Stanford, 50-18
ND, 41-23
Duke, 38-27
NU, 37-26

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
But, NU does currently hold a one game winning streak against Stanford!!
Actually, they have played seven times with Stanford winning three, NU winning twice and two ties.
They play the first game in 2019 at Stanford.

What the hell is going on here??

Nobody said neither Thorsen nor Northwestern are anything particularly special. There are false arguments being made and it's made this thread crazy go nuts.

The pro scouts say what they say and the QB rating is what it is. Not our fault.

All we need is that Herscher guy to blow things wide open...

Let me just say this. I was rooting for Ohio State to beat Michigan last week and it happened. This week I am rooting for Northwestern to beat Ohio State. Why? Because if they do, it will guarantee the B1G won't send a team to the final playoff.

I doubt Georgia will beat Alabama and that loss, if they lose, will knock them out of the playoff. But if Georgia does win, Alabama may not slide past the 4th spot. I believe Oklahoma has a better chance to win against Texas this week than Georgia has over the 'Tide. Pitt is not beating Clemson and Notre Dame is idle.

So, I view it this way. If Georgia loses and Oklahoma wins, they should take the 4 spot and Ohio State remains at number 5, even if they do win. But you never know. OSU will lobby hard for that 4 spot if they and Oklahoma both win.

I think he just said he didn’t believe that was an elite team in college football this year.

I think he just said he didn’t believe that was an elite team in college football this year.

Regardless of schedule, I would say Alabama is an elite team this year. In the games they have played against decent competition (A&M, LSU, Miss State), they have been completely dominant. We will see what happens with the Georgia game tomorrow, but Bama certainly pass the eye test of an elite team .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT