ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern

I have no dog in this fight, but I found this comparison interesting. Here's a comparison of Jr. year stats for Thorson and another Big 10 QB from a while back:

QB A 1998: 12 games, 61.9% completion, 2,427 yards, 7.5 yrds/att, 14 TDs, 10 Ints, Rating 133.1. Team finished 10-3, 12th in AP poll. QB measured 6'4" 211

Thorson 2017: 13 games, 60.4%, 2,844, 6.6, 15, 12, 121.3. Team finished 10-3, 17th in AP Poll. QB measured 6'4" 226

I have no dog in this fight, but I found this comparison interesting. Here's a comparison of Jr. year stats for Thorson and another Big 10 QB from a while back:

QB A 1998: 12 games, 61.9% completion, 2,427 yards, 7.5 yrds/att, 14 TDs, 10 Ints, Rating 133.1. Team finished 10-3, 12th in AP poll. QB measured 6'4" 211

Thorson 2017: 13 games, 60.4%, 2,844, 6.6, 15, 12, 121.3. Team finished 10-3, 17th in AP Poll. QB measured 6'4" 226

Those are correct... where did he rank in pic 6

Looks like Thorson had 2 pic 6's last year. One against Wisconsin for 36 yards and one against Purdue for 49 yards.

And looks like QB A has no pic 6's his Jr. year.

Last edited:
Looks like Thorson had 2 pic 6's last year. One against Wisconsin for 36 yards and one against Purdue for 49 yards.
At the end of the day... did his performance EVER warrant at least a look into someone else???

Kind of a yes or no

At the end of the day... did his performance EVER warrant at least a look into someone else???

Kind of a yes or no

I don't know I can answer that as I didn't see him play, just going off of numbers. They went 10-3, won their last 8 games in a row, won a bowl game and their only real clunker was getting clobbered at Duke in week 2. Something was working.

Perhaps Notre Dame last year was a comparison. They went 10-3, but Wimbush only completed 49.5% of his passes and had a very similar QB rating to Thorson (121.4). He was pulled often in favor of Ian Book. Kelly stuck w/ Wimbush through October, but finally went to Book more often in November when ND's season hit the skids. Book did a great job in their bowl game against LSU.

Reactions: PRokie
I know Alviti was close at times in a competition basis with Thorson, but from what I have heard, as time went on it wasn’t close at all....Alviti was often injured....great talent who played a great three quarters in the bowl game. I will always feel bad for the guy. I thought he we be the second coming of Dan Persa. Injuries suck!

Reactions: PRokie

This is fantatsic. Great find.

Yes it did... even the KoolAid boys were wondering how bad Clayton had to play to at least warrant a look.

Bottom line is we will never know now!
As I recall this thread started because Paddy was getting crushed on 4th and people were wondering what was going on with Clayton the Great.

Clayton owns McCall

Curious, wonder if Alviti ever consider transferring to play immediately somewhere else for his 5th year?

He MIGHT...MIGHT...be best they now, however if there is even a question mark, you will not see a backup. They can’t afford to look like bad decision makers even while their Golden Parachute drops.

They TOTALLY screwed Matt Alviti.

If these bozos did not have the academics of Northwestern backing them up as a school, they couldn’t recruit a bunch of Dems to a Trump hat burning rally.

And there it is.

I can only tell you that the character Northwestern exemplified handling LWE Superstar QB Tommy Fuessel will NEVER allow me to speak poorly about Northwestern University. His health concerns were / are epic.

Last edited:
He’s sitting at a blistering day with avg of 8 yds per completion and ONLY 2 int’s!

His season avg per completion is right at 6.
His career td to int did not fare well today!

When is reality going to set in.

CLAYTON SUCKS.

He’s sitting at a blistering day with avg of 8 yds per completion and ONLY 2 int’s!

CLAYTON SUCKS.

You seem very unbiased. He did lead his team to a road win against a ranked team. One of those picks went right through his teammates hands, hit his helmet and was a gift for MSU

CLAYTON SUCKS.
I wasn’t going to post anything congratulatory about the NU win because I figured this would just incite you again with your personal problem with Thorsen, but...
Did you watch the game?
If you did, you would have known that both interceptions were tipped. The first one was behind the receiver, so you can give Thorsen some credit. The second one hit the receiver in the face after going through his hands, short of running out there and putting the ball in the receivers hands I’m not sure what more he could have done.
Also, on this day when you determined Thorsen sucked, they beat Michigan State with 8 rushing yards.

Soooo... Thorson was the NU offense yesterday. Singlehandedly carried the team.

Also heard Kirk Herbstreet call him an awesome QB.

Again, he doesn't suck...

Reactions: Seyton
The Illini would have loved to have Thorson the last 4 years. Don’t know if he is going to cut it in the NFL but above average in the Big 10.
Actually, Illini did to Bailey what @PRokie is complaining about with Alviti. Kid from Rochester was their golden boy and nothing was going to change that.

Reactions: Gene K. and WIU78
After watching the HBO documentary "Student Athlete" earlier this week, Teddy Greenstein reviewed it. The following quote caught my eye relating to the ongoing discussion of Matt Aviti's career at Northwestern:

"At Northwestern, a scholarship is valued at $75,000 per year, not including a host of intangibles such as sports medicine and athletic training. That’s a good value whether you’re NFL hopeful Clayton Thorson or Matt Alviti, who played sparingly in five seasons but was savvy enough to stay and earn a graduate degree."
https://pilotonline.com/sports/coll...cle_3ecc3533-a628-5a21-87a3-beef773cac0a.html

I understand that Matt earned a masters from Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management. I am sure that Matt was disappointed in the trajectory of his football career at Northwestern. What can't be taken away from him are the degrees, friends and business relationships he made as a result of attending Northwestern.

Actually, Illini did to Bailey what @PRokie is complaining about with Alviti. Kid from Rochester was their golden boy and nothing was going to change that.

Sabin didn’t play favorites with his (2) Star QBs. Hurts was benched in Championship game for Tua.
Then the QB battle started to see who would be the starter this year. Tua wins out but Hurts is still with the team and getting playing time. The master seems to know how to handle these situations.

Reactions: Gene K. and PRokie
Gentlemen,
No question as I have stated before, NU academically stands on its own heads above the rest. If not for the school itself, these two buffoons couldn’t recruit a fly to a shit show. Clayton cannot play bad enough to get pulled. Period, and history has proven this.

Don’t give me the “Clayton got them to a bowl game” business when JJ had more to do with that than he did.

This link is for rankings based solely on total yards:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/id/5/big-ten-conference

When you are third overall in attempts, your total yardage will be in the top 10. Respectable?

Please take a moment and decipher where he ranks in each of their respective columns.

I’m looking for stats of his attempts past 20 yds, and completions

Let’s rekindle this at the end of the year, I’ll not say a word about Matthew, and we can have a discussion based strictly on Clayton’s body of work.

Gentlemen,
No question as I have stated before, NU academically stands on its own heads above the rest. If not for the school itself, these two buffoons couldn’t recruit a fly to a shit show. Clayton cannot play bad enough to get pulled. Period, and history has proven this.

Don’t give me the “Clayton got them to a bowl game” business when JJ had more to do with that than he did.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/id/5/big-ten-conference

When you are third overall in attempts, your total yardage will be in the top 10. Respectable?

Please take a moment and decipher where he ranks in each of their respective columns.

Let’s rekindle this at the end of the year, I’ll not say a word about Matthew, and we can have a discussion based strictly on Clayton’s body of work.

Hard to believe he is ranked higher than Trace Mcsorley? Am I looking at this right or is this just in passing yards?

Gentlemen,

Do you think he has had the cadre of Wide Receiver talent that you see at those other schools?
Strictly in total passing YARDAGE.

Receivers! Yes that’s it!

Shall we pull up his attempts beyond 20 yds and those results?

Please tell me which nfl QB has a td to int ratio even close to his?

let’s wait til the end of the year and see what his body of work suggests.

Glad he isn’t bitter or nothing.

Not really... but I’m not a blind coolaid drinking fool either.

Trust me, I wish he really was as great as you boys seem to think. Then there is no debate at all!

Trust me, I wish he really was as great as you boys seem to think. Then there is no debate at all!

No one has said he is great just that he is better then the other QBs NU has. Their is a big difference in those two things.

No one has said he is great just that he is better then the other QBs NU has. Their is a big difference in those two things.
Correction Clown, it has been suggested he is a future NFL draftee, and that his stellar performances in the past have never warranted even a look at anyone else.

After the Wisconsin debacle last year it became painfully apparent he could never play bad enough to get pulled.

Just like Penn St. posted on their website last year:
“Put pressure on him and he will cave like he always does”

He may be the best they have now, but we will never know if he was the best they’ve had as long as he’s been there

Correction Clown, it has been suggested he is a future NFL draftee, and that his stellar performances in the past have never warranted even a look at anyone else.

After the Wisconsin debacle last year it became painfully apparent he could never play bad enough to get pulled.

Just like Penn St. posted on their website last year:
“Put pressure on him and he will cave like he always does”

He may be the best they have now, but we will never know if he was the best they’ve had as long as he’s been there

Well he is an NFL prospect because the NFL recruiting services say he is not this board. Also as I stated before Thorson split time early in his career but out played the other two QBs and won the job. This thread is actually full of pretty level headed realistic posters with the exception of one person.

Yeah, nobody has said he's the second coming (and some of us, myself included, graduated from Wheaton North).

My parents (and I used to) live next to the O'Toole's of Reilly O'Toole fame. I've heard all kinds of stories from Mike and Jenny but nothing I'd put on a message board other than he just really enjoyed his time at Illinois above and beyond anything else.

The problem you're running into is that you hate Thorsen because he plays and played instead of Alviti, but that anger/hate is grossly misplaced. Thorsen doesn't hold a gun to the coaxhing staff's heads. It their fault - not his.

The second problem you run into is you hate Thorsen on a personal level. That's kind of off the reservation.

The worst thing you're doing is you're risking becoming an unintended proxy for the Alvitis and are risking their reputations based on your over the top criticisms of Thorsen. Don't take offense, but your posts don't reflect well and I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few people are finding themselves thinking Alviti's kind of a jerk based on nothing more than YOU. That's not what you want is it?

Hey, this is all is just my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're directly or indirectly hurting Matt Alviti's reputation - unbeknownst to him and his family.

He has won more games than any other QB in NU history without being surrounded by the top recruits the teams he routinely beats are loaded with. Keep being bitter.

I stand corrected on the Kool-Aid! Thank you!

There’s no hate here whatsoever for the kid! Never has and never will be. I’ve never met him nor would I even remotely comment in any way about him as a person, teammate, husband, or a son.

For the record, I’ve MENTIONED NOTHING PERSONAL NOR HAVE I SUGGESTED ANYTHING THATS NOT IDENTIFIABLE BY BLACK AND WHITE NUMBERS OR FILM BASED STRICTLY ON PERFORMANCES!!!! This is about football on the field, And the decision making jags at NU.

So piss off Seyton. If you think my being pissed about a kid getting the shaft and saying so reflects on the kid... well, that alone speaks volumes. Might you be in purple? This is MY opinion. PERIOD.

If I have represented otherwise I sincerely apologize to anyone I may have offended including Clayton himself. There’s no question in my mind he is in fact doing the very best he can.

My issue is with the Buffoon Mitch McCall, and the the other car salesman Fitz.

I can assure you, having been on this board for almost 10 years, I can certainly without question whatsoever suggest that many of the people on this board as well as people on this thread, had they seen and heard what I have over the last 5 years, they would be as vocal and pissed about it as I have been. Sometimes you see and hear and think to yourself “ this can’t be”, but it is.

Should we replay the Wisconsin debacle?

I see you Fellas are all in for Chicago’s Big10 team.
Enjoy the ride this year, it’s going to be a long one!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT