ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern

Agree with you Corey but still would like to see Northwestern keep this game close. After all Northwestern is Chicago's team!

I am rooting for Northwestern but feel it’s going to be a tough road. Then again it depends on which OSU team shows up tonight.

If tOSU wants to be in the playoff they have to stop getting steamrolled by middling teams. IMO they eliminated the B1G from the playoff when they beat UM.

Agree.

We have the best win but the worst loss.

We can beat anyone but you can’t play like we did at PU and expect a break from the committee.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Agree.

We have the best win but the worst loss.

We can beat anyone but you can’t play like we did at PU and expect a break from the committee.

Oklahoma already won. In my opinion it won’t matter if Bama loses they will still be in the top 4. Now Clemson loses that would shake things up.

The SEC Invitational is what they should call it. IMO the playoffs started today. Lose your conference championship and you should be done.

Reactions: UlbKA91
If you can lose in your championship game and still get into the playoffs over another 1 loss team who won theirs then why even play the game?

ND didn’t lose today. They will get in the playoffs and get theirs.

If you can lose in your championship game and still get into the playoffs over another 1 loss team who won theirs then why even play the game?

ND didn’t lose today. They will get in the playoffs and get theirs.

So if Bama didn’t play today and stayed 12-0 then they are in? Why in the world would they even play a championship game? Stupid analogy my friend you don’t make sense. Bama if the lose they lose to the #4 team not an unrated crap team in Purdue.

So if Bama didn’t play today and stayed 12-0 then they are in? Why in the world would they even play a championship game? Stupid analogy my friend you don’t make sense. Bama if the lose they lose to the #4 team not an unrated crap team in Purdue.
Your assumption is wrong. I’m not arguing for us. Oklahoma should get in over Bama. They won their conference championship and Bama didn’t. For all intents and purposes the playoffs started today for OSU, Oklahoma, and UGA. Why not for Bama?

I never once argued for OSU on this board or any other. But I do think our resume outside of PU is better than Oklahoma’s and ND’s. You just can’t discount that game.

Your assumption is wrong. I’m not arguing for us. Oklahoma should get in over Bama. They won their conference championship and Bama didn’t. For all intents and purposes the playoffs started today for OSU, Oklahoma, and UGA. Why not for Bama?

I never once argued for OSU on this board or any other. But I do think our resume outside of PU is better than Oklahoma’s and ND’s. You just can’t discount that game.

So I ask again how do you let a team in that plays one less game? Bama was undefeated as is ND. Wait Bama plays one more game against a #4 team but ND sits on their A#s and gets to play in the playoffs? Why? Just saying something not right.

From what I am reading in the fake news. Thorson is playing at a high level these past few games. Seems like Prokie may have spoken too soon or is it just fake news?

Will see. This is definitely Thorson’s biggest game of his career.
Go Wildcats!

So I ask again how do you let a team in that plays one less game? Bama was undefeated as is ND. Wait Bama plays one more game against a #4 team but ND sits on their A#s and gets to play in the playoffs? Why? Just saying something not right.

The real question is who the committee thinks the best 4 teams are. They have a history of picking teams (Ohio State 2016 and Alabama 2017) that didn't even play in their conference championship game, so I don't think that argument holds much water.

If the argument is ND is not one of the best 4 teams, that's a different story (and I might agree) - but it should have nothing to do with who's playing in the conference championship games. I wish it did.

I would like to see an 8 team playoff where all 5 power 5 conference champs get in, plus 3 at-large selections.

The real question is who the committee thinks the best 4 teams are. They have a history of picking teams (Ohio State 2016 and Alabama 2017) that didn't even play in their conference championship game, so I don't think that argument holds much water.

If the argument is ND is not one of the best 4 teams, that's a different story (and I might agree) - but it should have nothing to do with who's playing in the conference championship games. I wish it did.

I would like to see an 8 team playoff where all 5 power 5 conference champs get in, plus 3 at-large selections.

I am with you Cap. You either do that or take the conference championships out of the equation.

Lol
Then if that’s the case ND should be disqualified since they don’t play in a conference championship.

Notre Dame is a conference of one. And all the other conferences have agreed with this. Irish enjoying cheeseburgers today, and they deserve it.

Why does the SEC play only 8 conference games? Something's not right. Think an "extra game" might shake up the SEC standings somehow or shape how it's viewed over a full season? ND ever played a FCS team? Nope. ND played 2 Big 10 teams, 2 Pac 12 teams, 1 SEC, 1 Mac, Navy, and 5 ACC teams. Won 'em all.

Reactions: FalconPadre
Notre Dame is a conference of one. And all the other conferences have agreed with this. Irish enjoying cheeseburgers today, and they deserve it.
Along with Liberty, New Mexico State, UMASS, BYU, and Army

Why does the SEC play only 8 conference games? Something's not right. Think an "extra game" might shake up the SEC standings somehow or shape how it's viewed over a full season? ND ever played a FCS team? Nope. ND played 2 Big 10 teams, 2 Pac 12 teams, 1 SEC, 1 Mac, Navy, and 5 ACC teams. Won 'em all.

Not a fan of ND but am impressed with the year they have going. It should be interesting to see how they stack up with Bama, Clemson and whoever else gets in.

Yeah I was shaking my head about that call. Didn’t they need like 11 yards?
Yeah 11 or 12, against a base D from a punt formation with the running back acting as the QB. Can't think of a worse idea.

I heard a rumor that Fitzgerald is on the list of possible replacements for McCarthy in Green Bay. If offered the position does he make the jump and what happens to Northwestern if he does.

Seen that also on somewhere on facebook. I for one hope he doesn't take the position if offered as he is doing a great job at Northwestern. Also letting McCarthy go in Green Bay is a travesty. The guy is a good coach and deserved better. Wonder if there wasn't some other underlying issues there?

Reactions: FalconPadre
Seen that also on somewhere on facebook. I for one hope he doesn't take the position if offered as he is doing a great job at Northwestern. Also letting McCarthy go in Green Bay is a travesty. The guy is a good coach and deserved better. Wonder if there wasn't some other underlying issues there?
Rumor is he and Rodgers didn't see eye to eye on offensive game plans

Reactions: Gene K.
Northwestern wins because of its culture not talent. I have spend much time at their practice and meeting sessions. Am also personal friends with a few coaches. It is a very positive place.

I am old enough to remember when Michigan did not even bring a punter to the away games with NU. Great school and outstanding football program.

Reactions: Gene K. and wm4
Let's understand something about the playoff. It isn't about putting the best four teams in. It never was. It is about money. That is why Notre Dame is in. No one is going to tell me they are the 3rd best team in the country and expect me to believe it. I was almost surprised OSU didn't leapfrog Oklahoma. Would have solidified my money theory even more. And Oklahoma isn't the 4th best team either. We will all see how weak their defense is when the play Alabama.

As for Expansion of the playoffs, it's coming. But it will be a while yet. I personally don't like the idea and want it to stay the way it is. But eventually, money will dictate the expansion. By expanding, you can get all major conferences in. That will be the ultimate goal.

Reactions: Gene K.
Northwestern wins because of its culture not talent. I have spend much time at their practice and meeting sessions. Am also personal friends with a few coaches. It is a very positive place.

I am old enough to remember when Michigan did not even bring a punter to the away games with NU. Great school and outstanding football program.
This year Northwestern won because they had a schedule that was a bakery store. Luck carried them past Nebraska, and playing in the second division of BIG helped. It would be a huge mistake for the Packers to hire Fitzgerald, who has a golden horseshoe in the college ranks. Culture? I guess you could call it that.

ADVERTISEMENT