ADVERTISEMENT

No Cutler...

Cutler was a good signing for the Cubs. With Cutler nobody cares about the Bears and everybody cares about the Cubs in October. Yes, I said the Cubs, the team that usually starts their season in April and is mathematically eliminated by the end of May. Great marketing move for the Cubs.

Steve Bartman, you gotta go to a playoff game! The Edgy board will pay for your ticket, just don't try to catch any baseballs.
Ok?????????

Signing Cutler hurt them in signing draft picks? Huh????

I said I wasn't defending him and that he doesn't matter because he won't be part of the next playoff team.

Okay let me spell it out for you. Because they wasted so much money on Cutler they wouldn't have much money to pay future draft picks, especially any high round draft picks. As for Cutler not being part of the next playoff team. I didn't know he was part of any playoff team. O wait you mean the one game where he left with that mystery injury.
Lol

Okay let me spell it out for you. Because they wasted so much money on Cutler they wouldn't have much money to pay future draft picks, especially any high round draft picks. As for Cutler not being part of the next playoff team. I didn't know he was part of any playoff team. O wait you mean the one game where he left with that mystery injury.
Lol

Lol
I'll spell it out for you. Signing Cutler had ZERO do do with any draft pick signings or those said picks 2nd contracts....
Show me otherwise... I'll be waiting.

Last edited:
Which draft picks did the Bears not sign? I don't remember that.

Warning to the Cutler haters.... If he keeps playing like this, he's the QB in 2016 too. There are between 20 and 25 capable NFL QB's on the planet, and he's one of them. He's not anywhere near the top of the list, and he doesn't get the most out of his talent, but he's a legit NFL QB. We all had a good look at the alternative last week... poor Jimmy... and he was the top HS player in the country, left college early, and was a 2nd round pick.

Jared Goff and Connor Cook are far more likely to look like Clausen than Luck or Rodgers in a few years...

Warning to the Cutler haters.... If he keeps playing like this, he's the QB in 2016 too. There are between 20 and 25 capable NFL QB's on the planet, and he's one of them. He's not anywhere near the top of the list, and he doesn't get the most out of his talent, but he's a legit NFL QB. We all had a good look at the alternative last week... poor Jimmy... and he was the top HS player in the country, left college early, and was a 2nd round pick.

Jared Goff and Connor Cook are far more likely to look like Clausen than Luck or Rodgers in a few years...
Well said... Very said.

"Because they wasted so much money on Cutler they wouldn't have much money to pay future draft picks, especially any high round draft picks. "

Explain in detail, examples?

1st round QBs are more hit than miss: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...0-best-1st-round-qbs-decade-article-1.2192893

Exactly..

Good article, and I think it helps prove my point more than anything. They rank the top 10 QB's of the 27 drafted in the first round from 2005 to 2014. 8 is Tannehill... 9 is RG3... Yikes!

Here is the top ten from the article, followed by my half-hearted ranking of the remaining 17. Their record this season as the starting QB is in parenthesis.

1. Aaron Rodgers (4-0)
2. Andrew Luck (1-2)
3. Joe Flacco (1-3)
4. Cam Newton (4-0)
5. Matt Ryan (4-0)
6. Matt Stafford (0-3)
7. Jay Cutler (1-2)
8. Ryan Tannehill (1-3)
9. Robert Griffin III
10. Alex Smith (1-3)
Sam Bradford (1-3)
Mark Sanchez
Jason Campbell
Teddy Bridgewater (2-2)
Blake Bortles (1-3)
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert
Brandon Weedon (0-2)
EJ Manuel
Johnny Manziel (1-0)
Tim Tebow
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn
Jake Locker
Jamarcus Russell

22-26 overall. This list in its entirety does not scream "more hit than miss" to me.

With all that being said, it's not like I'm rooting for the Bears to roller coaster their way to a 7-9 season. I'd much rather finish 3-13 and have a shot at drafting an elite player. I just don't see an elite QB in this class. Are we waiting for Josh Rosen in '18? This might be our only chance to draft high, because John Fox's track record shows we will likely improve next season and beyond.

The popular sentiment I've heard several times this fall is that the next quarterback to start a playoff game for the Bears is probably in college… that's fine. Considering how difficult it is to get a great QB, the next Bears great QB might be in grammar school right now, if he or she even born at all. 2-1 odds the next QB to start a playoff game for Bears is the same guy who started the last one... Jay Cutler.

Don't look now, but the worst contract in football at one time is quickly becoming a bargain… Jay only counts 17 million against the cap next year, which will rank 15th in the league among QBs. Drew Brees will be a 30 million cap hit... Joe Flacco 28.5, Eli 24.5, and Big Ben 23.5.

Or we can turn the reins over to Jimmy Clausen!!!!

Reactions: brickben
Okay
Your intelligent! Glad your not running the organization or any organization.

The signing of Cutler has clearly been a disaster. So has the draft.

But let's not confuse facts with fiction. The way the draft works is that their is a pool of money in the salary cap specifically reserved for draft picks. Now that the first round picks are slotted mad have been for the last four years - existing contracts, new free agent contracts and contract extensions have nothing to do with what teams spend on draft picks.

Carry on

The signing of Cutler has clearly been a disaster. So has the draft.

But let's not confuse facts with fiction. The way the draft works is that their is a pool of money in the salary cap specifically reserved for draft picks. Now that the first round picks are slotted mad have been for the last four years - existing contracts, new free agent contracts and contract extensions have nothing to do with what teams spend on draft picks.

Carry on
Don't ruin the false narrative...

Good article, and I think it helps prove my point more than anything. They rank the top 10 QB's of the 27 drafted in the first round from 2005 to 2014. 8 is Tannehill... 9 is RG3... Yikes!

Here is the top ten from the article, followed by my half-hearted ranking of the remaining 17. Their record this season as the starting QB is in parenthesis.

1. Aaron Rodgers (4-0)
2. Andrew Luck (1-2)
3. Joe Flacco (1-3)
4. Cam Newton (4-0)
5. Matt Ryan (4-0)
6. Matt Stafford (0-3)
7. Jay Cutler (1-2)
8. Ryan Tannehill (1-3)
9. Robert Griffin III
10. Alex Smith (1-3)
Sam Bradford (1-3)
Mark Sanchez
Jason Campbell
Teddy Bridgewater (2-2)
Blake Bortles (1-3)
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert
Brandon Weedon (0-2)
EJ Manuel
Johnny Manziel (1-0)
Tim Tebow
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn
Jake Locker
Jamarcus Russell

22-26 overall. This list in its entirety does not scream "more hit than miss" to me.

With all that being said, it's not like I'm rooting for the Bears to roller coaster their way to a 7-9 season. I'd much rather finish 3-13 and have a shot at drafting an elite player. I just don't see an elite QB in this class. Are we waiting for Josh Rosen in '18? This might be our only chance to draft high, because John Fox's track record shows we will likely improve next season and beyond.

The popular sentiment I've heard several times this fall is that the next quarterback to start a playoff game for the Bears is probably in college… that's fine. Considering how difficult it is to get a great QB, the next Bears great QB might be in grammar school right now, if he or she even born at all. 2-1 odds the next QB to start a playoff game for Bears is the same guy who started the last one... Jay Cutler.

Don't look now, but the worst contract in football at one time is quickly becoming a bargain… Jay only counts 17 million against the cap next year, which will rank 15th in the league among QBs. Drew Brees will be a 30 million cap hit... Joe Flacco 28.5, Eli 24.5, and Big Ben 23.5.

Or we can turn the reins over to Jimmy Clausen!!!!

If Cutler is our QB next year (which looks to be likely scenario), he'll be our QB for another 2-3 years after that. After next year, Cutler's contract will be a bargain since it was front-end loaded over 1st three years. Like it or not, Cutler likely to be our QB for next several years based on financial reality.

I think you could do worse. Look at the week he was out. Get Jeffery back and it will make a big difference.

For those of us who don't like Cutler, like myself there is an answer. I know it's hard but just take that next step and drive a little farther north and root for the Packers.

By the time the Rogers era is over, the rest of Chicago will figure out Cutler sucks and needs to go. Then you can become a Bear fan again.

Reactions: hornetnation7
For those of us who don't like Cutler, like myself there is an answer. I know it's hard but just take that next step and drive a little farther north and root for the Packers.

By the time the Rogers era is over, the rest of Chicago will figure out Cutler sucks and needs to go. Then you can become a Bear fan again.

Lol
Now that is funny. The sad thing is your
right it may take that long for a few Bears fans to figure it out.

I think you could do worse. Look at the week he was out. Get Jeffery back and it will make a big difference.

My problem is more with the contract. I agree we could do a lot worse. But for the money we are spending, I expect a much better QB. I read an article in Forbes that ranked Cutler's contract as the worst in the NFL. Not so much for the amount, but more for structure.

I will bet almost no one here knows who the highest paid QB in the NFL last season was. Ready for it. The great Colin Kaepernick. The 49ers are 9-12 at this point since then.

If any QB is overpaid and overrated it's Kaepernick. The league has adjusted to this guy. On top of that, their defense (although it played well yesterday) has been decimated. Kaepernick is also the dumbest QB in the league. I mean, he is just not that intelligent.

I realize that doesn't mean much to us but if you consider he is paid more than Cutler and so is Romo this is how things are with some teams. Four of the top seven as far as pay goes have never won a Super Bowl.

The average annual pay for the life of Cutler's contract places him 12th on the list with Rodgers at the top. Interesting article here.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

I will bet almost no one here knows who the highest paid QB in the NFL last season was. Ready for it. The great Colin Kaepernick. The 49ers are 9-12 at this point since then.

If any QB is overpaid and overrated it's Kaepernick. The league has adjusted to this guy. On top of that, their defense (although it played well yesterday) has been decimated. Kaepernick is also the dumbest QB in the league. I mean, he is just not that intelligent.

I realize that doesn't mean much to us but if you consider he is paid more than Cutler and so is Romo this is how things are with some teams. Four of the top seven as far as pay goes have never won a Super Bowl.

The average annual pay for the life of Cutler's contract places him 12th on the list with Rodgers at the top. Interesting article here.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Technically you are correct. However, if you look under the hood a bit you will see that unlike Kaepernick's contract, Cutler's is all guarnateed money. While Kaepernick's contract is filled with de-escalators (performance incentives that reduce the amount of contract if not met). If he doesn’t reach certain personal and team-wide incentives, his average salary decreases a great deal. Among these incentives are Super Bowl appearances, Pro Bowl nods and All-Pro honors—hard-to-meet incentives to say the least. So, given the 2 QBs relative performance, Cutler's contract is much worse for the Bears than Kaepernick's contract is for the 49ers.

Interesting article in Forbes spells some of this out, and why they consider Cutler's contract the worst in the NFL:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2015/06/09/is-jay-cutlers-contract-the-worst-in-the-nfl/

Hornet:

Thirty percent of Cutler's contract is guaranteed money NOT 100%. True, Kaepernick's contract has 11.4% guaranteed money. Annually for the life of each contract Kaepernick will make slightly more per year, provided it works out. If they both stay with their organizations they will be free agents in 2021. I don't think either will be on their respective teams by then.

Cutler's contract may be the worst according to Forbes. That is their opinion. I am not totally disagreeing with you on this. I just gave a different perspective. People say the Bears won't win a championship with Cutler at the helm. That may be true. But SF won't win one either with Kaepernick. Fact is, their defense and guys like Frank Gore and great receivers got them to that Super Bowl far more than Kaepernick.

But you make very good points and Kaepernick will have to "perform" more than Cutler to earn his money. In that respect you are correct.

Last edited:
You guys want Fales and Tebow instead of Cutler? Wow....

You guys want Fales and Tebow instead of Cutler? Wow....
Yes they do. It makes you realize you are debating guys who simply aren't thinking clearly or logically. I have asked them repeatedly to name me a QB who can come here and win with that defense and I have gotten no answer. SIU has asked repeatedly who the Bears have missed out on in the draft because of Cutler's contract and again...crickets.

If I could ever root for the Packers, I'd be pissed as hell that they have had 25 years of Farve and Rodgers and only 2 Super Bowl wins to show for it..

I love it when the Cutler haters go into their cocoon when he plays well.

I was at the game Sunday in Kansas City. Sat in the corner of the end zone 13 rows up where the Bears scored both of their TDs. I have a good friend who is a Chiefs season ticket holder.

Cutler was solid. Two TD drives in the 4th quarter in the last 3:11 to win it. A few bad throws... a few dropped passes. The first TD throw to Wilson was outstanding. No one could have thrown that pass better. Ever since he came back he has played well.

The defense did an outstanding job in the second half shutting out the Chiefs and blocking a field goal in the third quarter that turned the game around in my opinion. That didn't get as much play in the media and should have because it was big. The three and out they threw at KC late in the 4th which set up the winning drive was also outstanding.

There were a TON of Bears fans there. I would say easily 10,000+. I think the place holds around 80,000. Anyway, it was loud when they scored both TDs. My buddy from KC said it was the largest visiting team crowd he had ever seen. Lots of happy Bears fans leaving. It's funny how all of a sudden I and the rest of us had 10,000 friends instantly as we all left high-fiving each other.

Great experience and great game. Cutler played very well.

The Bears are a well coached team this year. What they have done so far with inferior talet is pretty remarkable. They have solid gameplans and are able to adjust when needed. Sounds simple but that wasn't happening with Dr. Death. Oh and that Cutler guys been pretty damn good of late. A chance to be .500 heading into the bye.

The Bears are a well coached team this year. What they have done so far with inferior talet is pretty remarkable. They have solid gameplans and are able to adjust when needed. Sounds simple but that wasn't happening with Dr. Death. Oh and that Cutler guys been pretty damn good of late. A chance to be .500 heading into the bye.

Agreed, big improvement in coaching. Also a few players here and there on defensive side of ball (particularly D-line). And yes, Cutler did play well along with a few other bright spots on offense. However, he has to hold on to ball when sacked. That would go a long way to reducing his turnovers. Hopefully, we can keep it going against the 0-5 Lions this week.

Agreed, big improvement in coaching. Also a few players here and there on defensive side of ball (particularly D-line). And yes, Cutler did play well along with a few other bright spots on offense. However, he has to hold on to ball when sacked. That would go a long way to reducing his turnovers. Hopefully, we can keep it going against the 0-5 Lions this week.

I cannot argue he needs better ball security when sacked/pressured. I will say that fumble in Q1 was tough, that guy was on him in a split second. But overall that is a wart in his game, no doubt.

I love it when the Cutler haters go into their cocoon when he plays well.

I was at the game Sunday in Kansas City. Sat in the corner of the end zone 13 rows up where the Bears scored both of their TDs. I have a good friend who is a Chiefs season ticket holder.

Cutler was solid. Two TD drives in the 4th quarter in the last 3:11 to win it. A few bad throws... a few dropped passes. The first TD throw to Wilson was outstanding. No one could have thrown that pass better. Ever since he came back he has played well.

The defense did an outstanding job in the second half shutting out the Chiefs and blocking a field goal in the third quarter that turned the game around in my opinion. That didn't get as much play in the media and should have because it was big. The three and out they threw at KC late in the 4th which set up the winning drive was also outstanding.

There were a TON of Bears fans there. I would say easily 10,000+. I think the place holds around 80,000. Anyway, it was loud when they scored both TDs. My buddy from KC said it was the largest visiting team crowd he had ever seen. Lots of happy Bears fans leaving. It's funny how all of a sudden I and the rest of us had 10,000 friends instantly as we all left high-fiving each other.

Great experience and great game. Cutler played very well.

Dr. We're not hiding its just not worth debating. Glad you had a good time and the Bears won. Cutler had a good game big whoop. Let's see how he does the rest of the season. I am not changing my stance. He will revert back to his sorry self. I think most Bears fans will agree he is a head case that is very inconsistent. Yes I know it's not all the QB's fault! Let's see how it all plays out this year since it hasn't gone well the past 2 years.

Corey:

I am not coming here over hyping this and acting like the Super Bowl is the next stop. BUT, this is a different team than I was watching a few weeks ago. There is some progress and that's good. Realistically, the Bears can go 8-8 this year. That would obviously be an improvement but the attitude change is the most important thing. There were articles to that effect on the papers Monday.

The defense is playing better and a good defense always gives you a chance to win. Once we get a couple receivers back and the offense continues to get better you will see a pretty good team. Champions? No, but a team moving in the right direction. The last two years, especially, set this team back. But that is behind us.

Yes I did have a very good time in KC, but I always do. One of the funniest things at the game was when it ended there were several Chiefs fans chanting: "Let's go Royals!"

Corey:

I am not coming here over hyping this and acting like the Super Bowl is the next stop. BUT, this is a different team than I was watching a few weeks ago. There is some progress and that's good. Realistically, the Bears can go 8-8 this year. That would obviously be an improvement but the attitude change is the most important thing. There were articles to that effect on the papers Monday.

The defense is playing better and a good defense always gives you a chance to win. Once we get a couple receivers back and the offense continues to get better you will see a pretty good team. Champions? No, but a team moving in the right direction. The last two years, especially, set this team back. But that is behind us.

Yes I did have a very good time in KC, but I always do. One of the funniest things at the game was when it ended there were several Chiefs fans chanting: "Let's go Royals!"

Lol
Yeah I am sure there are some unhappy KC fans. Hey I am having fun watching the Cubs!

Let's put it this way. If your a true Bears fan you know the organization does
Corey:

I think you had better answer him....

I'm still interested to know how the Cutler contract prevented signing future draft picks, especially high round ones.

Let's see
We know the Bears and its owners. You think paying Cutler all that money is not going to make them think twice about spending money? Your kidding right. It has nothing to do with the salary cap and everything to do with the owners and what they are willing to spend. Let me tell you a story about a guy I happened to run into while on vacation. Mike alstott. Yes one of our beloved JCA Alum. I asked him why he didn't play for the Bears being from Chicagoland. Let's put this way. He said it's wasn't because the fans. You read between the lines.
By the way he won a Super Bowl that year with TB. Great guy!

Let's put it this way. If your a true Bears fan you know the organization does

Let's see
We know the Bears and its owners. You think paying Cutler all that money is not going to make them think twice about spending money? Your kidding right. It has nothing to do with the salary cap and everything to do with the owners and what they are willing to spend. Let me tell you a story about a guy I happened to run into while on vacation. Mike alstott. Yes one of our beloved JCA Alum. I asked him why he didn't play for the Bears being from Chicagoland. Let's put this way. He said it's wasn't because the fans. You read between the lines.
By the way he won a Super Bowl that year with TB. Great guy!

You basically cannot be cheap in the NFL these days. You have to spend 89% of the salary cap over the 2013 to 2016 seasons. Granted the penalty for not spending 89% is just forking over the money to the NFLPA after 2016. The "Bears owners are cheap" narrative is false these days, maybe it wasn't years ago but this is 2015. They are not, they've spend $ on FA, big money. The Bears owners want to win contrary to stupid narratives out there. They have just been so awful at getting the right people in place. Looks like the coaches are in place, only time will tell with FO.

The cheap owners ate some big money releasing Allen, for example.

Pernell McPhee, Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Jermon Bushrod, Lamar Houston......

I could go on and on and on and on. There are here players on this list thy cut and ate over $40m in contract dollars guaranteed.

That's not cheap that's dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT