ADVERTISEMENT

Niles Notre Dame

Oct 22, 2017
Haven’t had a chance to see NND play this year but heard they’re 2-0. How are they looking and do they have any shot against the redhawks?

I watched the Geneva game. I couldn't find a stream of Friday's game. They look good. Ty Gavin is tearing it up again this year. My cousin (much younger than I) is the QB. The two of them are threats to score from anywhere at anytime. They're as good a 1-2 punch as you will find offensively in the area (I really like Williams & Pringle at The Brook also). The Defense looks very solid. They play fast and physical. But like I told Anthony yesterday, the real comp starts this week. They've had as easy a first two games as they could've imagined but now they have a chance to really make a statement these next two weeks against Marist and Benet. I'm definitely looking forward to this week's match up. I think Marist has their hands full but I haven't seen them play this year. On the flip side, it's the first real test for a young QB that hasn't really been hit yet.

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
ND/Marist is definitely the GOTW in the ESCC. Looking forward to see what the Dons do against Marist. LAguy is correct. The next two weeks will tell the story for ND. They don't play Naz this year.

Reactions: Gene K.
Good luck to any team attempting to stop Sayles and Gavin. Absolute electric 1-2 punch. Defense has played well against two below average teams. We will see how they do in conference.

Reactions: LAguy
In Niles, I'm calling the Dons in a mild upset. I suspect ND will have the advantage at the LOS. This Marist team doesn't have the talent up front that they've had the last few years. Marist' skill players will present problems for the Dons, but so will Gavin/Sayles for the Redhawks.

Marist hasnt looked impressive in anyway this year so i wouldnt go out saying ND has no shot. After a horrible showing week 1 versus a good BR team you would think it may have been week 1 jitters, but looked no better versus Mishawaka IN.

Marist hasnt looked impressive in anyway this year so i wouldnt go out saying ND has no shot. After a horrible showing week 1 versus a good BR team you would think it may have been week 1 jitters, but looked no better versus Mishawaka IN.
Ty Gavin is a really good high school football player. That in itself gives the Dons a better than a shot!

Its a shame that Naz doesnt play them this year
giphy.gif

Reactions: Gene K.
There are no easy games in the ESCC. Every week is playoffs. The first 2 games in this conference , are warm ups. No one wants to play ESCC teams in the first 2 weeks if they have a real choice. There are teams that are invited every year that are told no. Perfect example Main South has been invited to play ND they always say no. As for Marist they are beatable, simple, any mistakes will cost either team big time. ND by 7 or 10, this will come to the end.

There are no easy games in the ESCC. Every week is playoffs. The first 2 games in this conference , are warm ups. No one wants to play ESCC teams in the first 2 weeks if they have a real choice. There are teams that are invited every year that are told no. Perfect example Main South has been invited to play ND they always say no. As for Marist they are beatable, simple, any mistakes will cost either team big time. ND by 7 or 10, this will come to the end.

Maine South is for sure scared of ND that’s why they have opted to play GBW, Loyola and LWE in non conference games the last few years.

Maine South beat ND 47-0 or something similar a few years ago in the playoffs and, as pointed out, plays better non-conf teams. They are definitely not scared of the Dons.

I'd like to see ND play more local teams in non-conf but the fact is, the two schools with which they have some competitive rivalry in other sports (Maine South and Loyola) are above ND's level in football. A lot of other local teams are too far below ND's level (Taft, Maine East, Niles North and West). Maybe match-ups vs the Glenbrooks? Their non-conf slate in recent years has done nothing to perk anyone's interest.

Reactions: ClownBaby and pjjp

There certainly are easy games in the ESCC probably half of them each week, similar to every conference. The CCL Blue games for example could be thought of as every one being tough but there are only four of them. CCL crossovers make the schedule much more tolerable. Marist v Marian is not a a tough game.

There certainly are easy games in the ESCC probably half of them each week, similar to every conference. The CCL Blue games for example could be thought of as every one being tough but there are only four of them. CCL crossovers make the schedule much more tolerable. Marist v Marian is not a a tough game.
I do not share the same thoughts as goofyparent above but lately Marian has been the only gimme. The conference’s strength is usually in its depth.

The thing that has somewhat hurt the ESCC is Marist becoming an 8A power. They could easily turn into a Loyola dominance for the ESCC. Benet improving greatly will help as does the Nazareth program improving as compared to years and years ago. Marian and JCA dropping off though does hurt it. Pat's and ND seem to kind of hang around and are tough but not games you circle if you are a top 1 or 2 team in the conference.

The thing that has somewhat hurt the ESCC is Marist becoming an 8A power. They could easily turn into a Loyola dominance for the ESCC. Benet improving greatly will help as does the Nazareth program improving as compared to years and years ago. Marian and JCA dropping off though does hurt it. Pat's and ND seem to kind of hang around and are tough but not games you circle if you are a top 1 or 2 team in the conference.

Over the last three years in conference, Notre Dame is 6-1 (co-champs), 5-2, 5-2 while Pat's is 1-6, 2-5, 2-5

And Notre Dame's record against those three 'top' teams:

Benet: 2-1
Marist: 0-2 (includes a 3 point playoff loss)
Naz: 1-1

Please don't include the Dons with the Shamrocks. And I'd hope Benet, Marist and Naz are circling their games against ND given it's been about even against them.

Reactions: LAguy
While the ESCC is not the best conference by any means, they always have and probably always will have one to 2 teams a year that can be considered State Title contenders in their respective class. Obviously JC is arguably (lets not go crazy MC fans) the greatest program in state history, but Marian Catholic has had great stretches, Benet is a back to back semi finalist in 7A, Carmel was a force for a solid decade or so, Nazareth has become a bully in the last 5 or so years, and Marist has had a strong decade themselves. Now things do run in cycles in terms of who's on top, but it's a conference that you really can't enter at 0-2 or if you're rebuilding, 1-1. ND has been on a very productive run for 8+ years to where they can beat anyone on any given night. Marian Central while new to the conference, has a great pedigree and played big time ball before joining the ESCC. St. Pat's is rebuilding, but they have had solid teams and have won big games. Even St. Viator while not having a consistent stretch as of late, always seems to have a few big time athletes on the field every year.

Sure, it's no CCL Blue or old DuPage, but the ESCC prepares teams for the playoffs

Last edited:
Over the last three years in conference, Notre Dame is 6-1 (co-champs), 5-2, 5-2 while Pat's is 1-6, 2-5, 2-5

Please don't include the Dons with the Shamrocks. And I'd hope Benet, Marist and Naz are circling their games against ND given it's been about even against them.

An elitist ND parent talking down about a school paint me shocked.

An elitist ND parent talking down about a school paint me shocked.

I am definitely NOT an ND parent. Just an aging ND alum. And I am not talking down to Pat's as a school. It is a great school and I have many friends who went there and are now sending their kids there.

But, to say Pat's and ND football have been on the same level over the last few seasons, as that poster did, is flat out wrong.

It will be the same old story with ND. Will go 7-2 or 6-3 and lose first round in the playoffs. As a Notre Dame alum we should be doing much better in the playoffs. Coaching is getting very stale there with running the same type of offense every year.

Reactions: nwfb99
Maybe I’m going blind... but did someone actually suggest that Swagger High is “afraid” of the Dons?

I’m relatively certain MS is not afraid of ND, or anyone else for that matter! You wanna be the best you gotta BEAT the best.

Period.

Whomever gushed that garbage needs to get off the sauce.

LOL. Ok. Maine South would rather schedule Loyola, MT.Carmel and Glenbard West instead of ND.

Reactions: PRokie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT