ADVERTISEMENT

NFHS Broadcasting

flyers99

Jun 9, 2008
I feel that if you're paying for their services. Why can't they use real audio from the game? I was watching the Washington vs Chatham Glenwood game. You have to guess what's going on. The time is off on the display screen. They might as well let the schools broadcast. Some you can hear the real game audio. But other's you can't.

I feel that if you're paying for their services. Why can't they use real audio from the game? I was watching the Washington vs Chatham Glenwood game. You have to guess what's going on. The time is off on the display screen. They might as well let the schools broadcast. Some you can hear the real game audio. But other's you can't.
They can if those games have any audio being provided.

Someone more in the know can confirm the details (@iamgroot), but the way I interpret the NFHS setup is this. They provided robo cams to a certain amount of schools around the state and at a bare minimum someone just has to turn the camera on to broadcast the games and the robo cam does the rest. Anything beyond that, score and clock, broadcasters, manually controlling the camera, etc. is up to each individual school and how much effort they choose to put into it.

In the example you used, Chatham must not have had anyone announcing their game or controlling the computer attached to the camera to update score and time.

Chatham has a local radio broadcast. Must have not been patched in.

I know on demand games that it is muted to avoid copyright laws with any music played.

I watched a game on demand and it had piped in background noise. I could hear the same muffled comment about ever 30 seconds.

I don't need a play by play but let me at least hear the PA guy.

Chatham has a local radio broadcast. Must have not been patched in.

I know on demand games that it is muted to avoid copyright laws with any music played.

I watched a game on demand and it had piped in background noise. I could hear the same muffled comment about ever 30 seconds.

I don't need a play by play but let me at least hear the PA guy.
Totally agree, but that's all up to the school. If they don't have a mic attached to the same computer as the NFHS camera then there won't be any audio. Outside of the camera and providing a platform for the games to be watched, NFHS doesn't have anything else to do with it.

I will accept the bad audio provided if I don't have to watch the damn commercials every time I want to switch over to another game
Preach! With all the subscription fees and advertising dollars you'd think they'd be able to provide a better product.

Reactions: CIMRY90
Disclaimer: I do NOT understand much of this Tech stuff but I do know that a lot of it up to the Host school and how much effort they are willing to put into the broadcast.

Example: (re-read my disclaimer, I don't know this Tech stuff) JCA has a Tech/broadcasting crew the does almost all of their regular season games (home & away) and they use YouTube, and it's almost always good. But come playoff time the games go through NFHS.

I believe that most of the JCA playoff games are streamed using the same cameras and broadcast crew BUT it is then broadcasted on NFHS. When you find the link for that game on NFHS it will have a note "brought to you by JCA" and it's basically the same quality as the regular season YouTube broadcasts. I do not know if JCA gets any kickback for doing all the broadcasting and camera work.

So what does all that mean? I don't have a clue, except the host team's Tech setup greatly effects the quality.

Reactions: iamgroot and 4Afan
I’ve found that when watching previous games on NFHS, the audio is replaced with some nonsense that is on a loop.

One more thing to love about NFHS: Last year, i watched NFHS on a big screen TV through my Roku. This year, I can't because I didn't purchase my subscription through Roku. They changed the rules without letting us know. ( I realize you can attach a lap-top to a traditional TV. but in my case, it's a hassle.) They also canceled the telephone help-line and took on Comcast's approach to customer service: that is, you type in your problem and they send you a link to an article that might have something to do with your problem.

Reactions: RockSoup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT