ADVERTISEMENT

NFHS Streaming

iamgroot

Aug 27, 2018
As we start to enter the post season and more streams flip to NFHS Streaming due to their arrangement with the IHSA, please let me know of specific issues with NFHS streams. The more details you can provide, such as who was playing, when in the game the issue started, and what the issue was, I can help to get them resolved going forward. You can post them here or DM privately if you'd rather.

I don't work for them, but I do have contacts there that are well placed and very responsive to reported issues.

Reactions: Formicidae13
I don’t have specifics but generally the picture quality is awful. It’s either grainy or constantly freezing and buffering. Some broadcasts don’t have announcers which I’m fine with but the picture quality is terrible in most cases. I’ve watched a lot of high schools that broadcast home games on YouTube and they’re usually high quality. Hopefully this year will be better but I’ll believe it and give credit if I see it.

Reactions: PowerI66
I don’t have specifics but generally the picture quality is awful. It’s either grainy or constantly freezing and buffering. Some broadcasts don’t have announcers which I’m fine with but the picture quality is terrible in most cases. I’ve watched a lot of high schools that broadcast home games on YouTube and they’re usually high quality. Hopefully this year will be better but I’ll believe it and give credit if I see it.
I think the quality has to do with the speed at which the streaming is uploaded, but someone who knows about such matters may wish to comment. As you say, the quality of YouTube is usually high quality.

Reactions: eireog

If a school is broadcast on Youtube, its because they have invested in their stream. They are manual productions and have people that are running the cameras, people that are probably providing live commentary, and have money invested into the gear that makes it. As a result, they end up being high quality productions.

NFHS productions on the other hand, specifically the automated Pixellot productions, are pushed to schools that don't have the people or the budget to run their own stream. As a result, when there are problems, they don't get fixed quickly, because the schools themselves aren't paying attention to it (see people/budget above) and/or people watching complain on internet forums rather than actually talking to people that can get it fixed.

The same thing that plagues the automated NFHS productions also affects the Hudl automated productions, because its the same set of issues. The schools wanted a low cost, low/no personnel required solution and that's what Hudl provides. When there are issues, if people don't tell the school or Hudl and instead just complain online, nothing gets fixed.

This is why I was asking for specific instances of problems, because if someone can tell me that Springfield High had terrible quality tonight, I'll ping my people and tell them that so they can check on it. It might be poor upload, it might be a dirty camera lens, etc. Whatever it is, knowing about it and getting that info to the right people is a huge step in the right direction.

Reactions: eireog
A frequent problem I’ve run into (outside of the stream simply locking up which is #1 problem) is one half of the field will be blurry. Usually just looks like a really dirty lens.
If I encounter anything I’ll be sure to let you know. Thanks @iamgroot

Reactions: iamgroot
A frequent problem I’ve run into (outside of the stream simply locking up which is #1 problem) is one half of the field will be blurry. Usually just looks like a really dirty lens.
If I encounter anything I’ll be sure to let you know. Thanks @iamgroot
This a huge pet peeve of mine as well. One side is never clear.

Was on NFHS. Hudl does look much better despite Morris not having enough lights

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT