ADVERTISEMENT

New team for the I8?

Coalertown44

Nov 5, 2014
Heard from one of the Morris coaches that they have officially asked to join the I8 Conference when Seneca leaves after the upcoming school year

Yeah we had that one a few weeks ago here...I mean not gonna lie would be a loss for the NIBIG12 a football conference that I felt was very, very good...but ask those in and around that conference and they will tell you it was only a matter of time before it split apart. Morris will fare better in the I8 just based off travel alone...then throw in natural rivals in CC and Wilmington and it makes more sense...plus Morris is bordering on 4A as well these days.

Biggest question I have is what happens to Yorkville?

This conference needs that, bigger schools to add more balance in the small division.

Seneca and Reed Custer out, add Morris and Pontiac. Shuffle Coal City and Herscher to small

This conference needs that, bigger schools to add more balance in the small division.

Seneca and Reed Custer out, add Morris and Pontiac. Shuffle Coal City and Herscher to small

I think Reed Custer will stay. I think most teams would like Westmont to move on. There is talk of trying to bring 3 teams in that year to make it a 14 team conference. Morris, Pontiac and one other. I think they would like to add Prairie Central to that mix

i have heard those 3 are at some level interested. Also know that Kankakee would like in.

i have heard those 3 are at some level interested. Also know that Kankakee would like in.
I can't see teams from the Southland conference being attractive additions to most leagues. Southland schools barely support 2 or 3 full and competitive programs in boys' sports. In addition, safety issues exist on those campuses during the nighttime hours. Just sayin' ...

Kankakee would be a good geographical fit, already rivals with Herscher and gives them stability and paired with other local teams

Yeah, I see what Woody6 is saying, but Kankakee's "bad" is more on par with a downstate town like Decatur or Peoria than a Wild 100s/200s south suburb. Being the 1 "hood school" in a conference of nearby schools where the spotlight will be harsh at first might nudge them into focusing on security and appealing to fans not to make themselves look stupid. A move to a more local smaller enrollment conference might help the other sports much more by doing away with forays into the South suburbs.

Have heard possible outcome will be add Morris, Pontiac and Kankakee who all want in. Large will have 8 teams, Small will have 6.

Large- Kankakee, Streator, Morris, Plano, Sandwich, Coal City, Pontiac, Manteno

Small- Herscher, Peotone, Wilmington, Reed Custer, Lisle and Westmont

Or possibly slide Coal City to the small.. forced crossovers weeks 3-8 between the two teams not playing divisional games..

What a mess, Pontiac decided to stay put down south and neither Morris or Kankakee received enough the 9 votes.

Lisle and Westmont need to leave and find something else. They just don't fit geographically.

Lisle and Westmont need to leave and find something else. They just don't fit geographically.

Lisle and Westmont would fit in the Metro Suburban. I dont know about the organization but both small schools similar to Ridgewood, Elmwood Park etc.

Lisle and Westmont would fit in the Metro Suburban. I dont know about the organization but both small schools similar to Ridgewood, Elmwood Park etc.

It's tough for these small suburban schools since they are are so limited for conference options due to their size, they are surrounded by 7 & 8A giants.

I heard a rumor Westmont was dropping football all together from an area football coach. No idea on the validity of that but seems like that school has an uphill climb.

I heard a rumor Westmont was dropping football all together from an area football coach. No idea on the validity of that but seems like that school has an uphill climb.
Will Westmont h.s. age boys interest in the total football experience start doing what they did in downstate Madison and "move" into adjacent districts? Does Hins. South get the best of that setup?

The Otto experiment there was a disaster and its really damaged the program, not to mention upset a lot of people within the I-8.

Don't be surprised if a conference is spun off with the 6 schools closest to Kankakee

I agree, no sense at all. I think this will be the last season for the I8 in this capacity

I think we will see Coal City, Wilmington, Reed Custer, Herscher, Manteno and Peotone pull away and form their own

Reed Custer wants smaller teams, Coal City wants bigger schools. I dont see those two schools in the same Conference any longer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT