ADVERTISEMENT

New: Illinois State OL DL Camp Saturday June 26th

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I knew going in that weather would most likely be an issue on Saturday for the two sessions of the ISU camps, with the OL DL in the AM then the skills in the afternoon. Fortunately I was able to get the AM session in but had to leave due to weather related issues back home (everyone is fine etc) and missed the PM skills session. The AM linemen session had good numbers (roughly 80 kids) and this is always a well organized and well run camp and I appreciate Brock Spack and all of the ISU staff for a great hospitality.

The overall talent level? Ok at best and a few new names emerged for me along with a few underclassmen as well.

So Who Stood Out?

DL Alejandro Arellano Sterling 2022 (listed at 6-foot-3, 250 pounds) Arellano has good size and very good strength and really stood out in one on ones here. He still need to improve his overall pass rush skills and technique, but his strength and power stood out here. I can see say D2 schools taking a harder look at this kid this fall.

DL Liam Becher Iowa City West HS 2023- Some want me to start listing OOS kids who stand out, and Becher was easily one of the top DE at this event. Big time size and strength and a name to watch in the 2023 class.

DL Boston Bower Huntley 2023- The one thing I didn't like with the camp was kids were placed by grad year into positions and Bower didn't get much of a chance to go head to head in one on ones against the top group....but he made the most of his reps and chances and looked solid here.

DL/TE Aaron Carl Galesburg- Worked out here on the DL but then was able to get some individual reps working with ISU TE Coach CJ Irvin. Carl has good size (6-foot-5, 235 pounds) and generally was pretty solid here on the DL.

DL/TE Grayson Dexter Bradley 2022- I've been trying to get a solid eval on Dexter in person for over a year. He has good size (6-foot-4, 235 pounds) and length, has definitely added more weight/strength since I saw him in person. Worked out here at both DE and TE and showed flashes of good things. Positionally in my eyes he's still very much a tweener and his fall video will get looked at pretty closely.

OL Tyson Cramer Pontiac 2023- Tyson has been very active on the camp circuit and has a connection to ISU (older brother Payton is the ISU long snapper). Cramer was solid as usual here and I can see him winding up at say the D2/NAIA level.

DE Ivan Erickson Marmion Academy 2023- Tall, long and lanky athlete here (6-foot-6, 225 pounds) with some upside down the line. Erickson has great length and while he still needs to add more considerable muscle and good weight, he has a chance to wind up developing into a big time rush end over the next few years. No question a name to watch this fall here.

DT Kevin Frazier Brother Rice 2022- Same stroy here for Frazier....he comes into one day camps, gets a ton of reps and seldom is slowed down whatsoever. I don't remember seeing Frazier lose a single rep on Saturday and was easily one of the top overall DL at this camp. The biggest question remaining for Frazier is which school will end up extending him an offer and an opportunity? The only knock on Frazier remains his size...otherwise he's a monster inside DL and another impact name to watch this fall. I can see Frazier looking hard and having options at the PWO route at the higher level schools.

OL/DL Blaine Halley Olympia 2023- Good sized kid here who will continue to improve and get bigger and stronger over the next year plus. A name to watch in the Class of 2023 for sure.

OL/DL Matt Logan Boylan 2022- Played the last two years at Rockford Lutheran and is now at Boylan. Logan worked as a DL at this camp and was solid in one on ones.Logan has a good motor and power and posted some strong reps. Logan will need to continue to work on his pass rush moves and technique along with improving his overall speed and quickness, yet he has a lot to offer here as well. Could also easily play OL when needed.

OL Max Jablonski Wheaton South 2022- Another steady Eddie where as a camp performer. Always is fundamentally sound and his technique is always solid...had some good reps in one on ones as usual. Next level in college? Incredibly hard to project with the limited amount of offers that won't be available in this class...but Jablonski I feel has D2 level ability.

DL Jack Schnoor Prairie Ridge 2022- Was a favorite of the ISU coaches at this camp and Schnoor was pitted against the best of the best all day in one on ones. Has very good feet/balance and strength and was able to attack and beat larger OL in one on ones. Looks to have the frame that will allow him to add a bit more size and power in college. I would be surprised if ISU doesn't offer Schnoor after his camp performance.

DE Benjamin Werner Scales Mound HS 2022- Was limited a bit here because of an earlier summer camp injury, but Werner no question looks the part and has eyeball passing physical tools, moves really well for a big man and he will continue to add more good size and weight down the line. Also a basketball player at one of the smallest schools in Illinois. When Werner was able to go in various positional work and drill he looked impressive. Werner could become a real potential sleeper down the line at the college level.

DL Tyler Wood St. Francis 2022- Tyler had a very good camp here especially in one on ones. Wood showed a bag full of pass rush moves and technique and overall did nothing but impress all observers here. I can also see Tyler gettin g looks at both OL and DL this fall. Wood has also been a long time varsity starter and an impact player for the Spartans and look for a big fall season from him.

OL Steven Young Kankakee 2023- A kid I saw live this spring and another name to watch in the 2023 class. Young has good size and strength and will continue to develop and grow over the next year plus. Young will need to keep working on his overall technique and hand usage, but his upside is pretty evident.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.