ADVERTISEMENT

Naz/JCA

Knowing that the path to a state title likely means meeting again, does either coach hold anything back strategy wise?
I've thought about this 100 times.

In this capacity, jca is in the better position to take risks. With the mcc loss, jca has one to give away in the ESCC colum...so jca also has reason to hold back.

I think both play to win however. I also anticipate anot her fantastic atmosphere at joliet memorial.

In this capacity, jca is in the better position to take risks. With the mcc loss, jca has one to give away in the ESCC colum...so jca also has reason to hold back.

I think both play to win however. I also anticipate anot her fantastic atmosphere at joliet memorial.
You've been around JCA football how long? You know they are stubborn and don't change their game for anyone. What could they possibly show a 7th offensive play?

Just watching some film on Naz this year compared to last year, they are relatively the same at the skills talent wise. But up front NAZ's 2014 group was much more dominant than in 2015. They are going to have issues when someone is just as good as them upfront and turns it into a ballgame.
I believe Benet lost their QB in the 2nd quarter against NAZ, I think he gets them at least 14 against them and makes the game a little more interesting if he plays all 4. Benet looks better than last year in my eyes.
Benet lost there starting QB in the first series, backup at half, 3rd string after first series of the third. Had to get the soph QB to put down his pizza, get this pads out of the bus and play. While Naz was winning the game regardless I think you are right. Totally lost the ability to throw the ball. Naz's D has some holes. They are just so fast on the edges, they can literally score on any play.

I would agree that Benet is better than last year. Deeper on both lines and the WRs are better. QB is better than he was last year. Really the only place they are worse is at RB as Brad Snzjader was fast and strong. Current RB is small and fast. Puts the ball on the ground too much.

Benet lost there starting QB in the first series, backup at half, 3rd string after first series of the third. Had to get the soph QB to put down his pizza, get this pads out of the bus and play. While Naz was winning the game regardless I think you are right. Totally lost the ability to throw the ball. Naz's D has some holes. They are just so fast on the edges, they can literally score on any play.

I would agree that Benet is better than last year. Deeper on both lines and the WRs are better. QB is better than he was last year. Really the only place they are worse is at RB as Brad Snzjader was fast and strong. Current RB is small and fast. Puts the ball on the ground too much.
how were you able to see holes in that 50 yards of offense.

Despite what

If Naz D has holes then Benet is in trouble. Naz D absolutely embararrased them all game. They destroyed QB after QB, wouldn't have mattered if Snzjader played the whole game, he had multiple guys in his face every play and their WR's were never open. Benet's biggest hope was to beat the blitz and find some holes in the run game but that didn't happen. Dosen averaged like 2 yards a carry. Sometimes things go wrong and they just snowball and there is no way Benet is as bad as they showed Friday but if there are holes in Naz D Benet would have no idea where they are located.

ch02st
0519639d3d6cdd584614e1c4b977a2ce9f27e-wm.jpg

The good thing about this matchup for both teams is the very real possibility of redemption for the loser once the post season gets here. While I am sure winning the ESCC is a priority for both teams, a loss is not necessarily a "wait 'till next year" scenario as far as a rematch for the teams is concerned. Given a relative equality between two teams, beating a team twice in the same year can be very difficult. I am sure that whoever loses this game will be chomping at the bit for the second game.

As far as the discussion regarding players in the past against JCA: NO WAY Montini beats the Hilltoppers in 2011 without Westerkamp, although the the second half turnovers surely didn't help the JCA cause. Did any of you re-watch that game? I hadn't realized he made some of the impressive grabs he did.

You've been around JCA football how long? You know they are stubborn and don't change their game for anyone. What could they possibly show a 7th offensive play?

Is this part of the pitch to the Naz recruits from the Joliet Ravens?

Reactions: ramblinman
Is this part of the pitch to the Naz recruits from the Joliet Ravens?
We actually take all the Joliet Ravens QBs and Receivers to a JCA game for them to see how well they will fit in their offense.

Reactions: epicbret
Pannies, yes. Do I have to explain what those are? You seemed confused.
I said typically, is Julian Love a great athlete, yes, not taking anything away from the guy. Did teams that we play against have great athletes, absolutely. Did those athletes destroy us, or make that big of an impact? Only Dergo in 05, that I can remember. I don't remember any one opposing player "Dergo-ing" us. As far as a list of athletes that were talented that we played against, I don't keep a list or really care too much. We did have individual athletes that we had special coverages, calls, and gameplans for because, they were special. I'm not some super fan that remembers every opposing player or every play. I was stating my opinion. Quite frankly, I don't care if JCA wins by 1 or 100. My prediction is that they will win. The teams will do the talking Friday night, not much we can do but sit here and give our opinions.

Jordan Westerkamp?

I don't see this being as close as everyone else, I just watched the JCA film last night and see the score being something like a 41 - 28.

Reason being I see naz being exposed at the 5,1,0 technique on the line. Also with Naz's line going both ways I just feel they are going get worn down as the game goes on. Naz is asking their line to play a lot of snaps and it will be especially hard to go against a grueling style of offense like JCA for 4 quarters.

From what I have seen this season, Naz's QB looks like he can throw the ball, but I'm not sure if he can pass it.

Teams have been focusing on Love which is allowing Ivory to have those huge holes. If I'm Sharp I overload the box and bring A LOT of pressure. Stop Ivory first, contain the jet sweep with Love, and force Naz to throw to the toughest routes on the route tree. Let naz have those tough routes and have Naz's QB prove he can make those tough throws.

Like pjjp said, what naz needs to do is keep this game on the perimeter, create match ups where its naz's best athletes vs jca's best athletes. Also they need to take more shots down field, let their athletes go up and go get it. JCA is going to be focusing on Love/Ivory. Ive seen #6 on naz make some great catches and he has speed, I would give him more targets on the weak side.

But its the ESCC so you never know what can happen.

I believe that this JCA team is one of their most explosive teams. I saw them start a game with 5 straight passes. There QB has a real good arm and their running game is solid like always. You add the passing game to their arsenal...WOW. They hit on D(normal), but better then the past couple of years. Havent seen NAZ this year, but I think JCA is too much for anyone to stop them.

We actually take all the Joliet Ravens QBs and Receivers to a JCA game for them to see how well they will fit in their offense.
Lol...

But we show them our 13 trophies...and Gordie s ghost!

Truth be told, jca has a long list of qbs playing in college. Come to think about it, I'd compare our qb to college list to anyone's. We might not be first, but I bet not far behind.

One team will win and one team will lose. Turnovers and inopportune penalties will loom large. If JCA can stop the turnovers and dumb penalties that have plagued them even during their big wins, then they are the favorite at home. NAZ will clearly be more creative in their play calling, but the JCA "D" will be well prepared. I'm guessing both teams would like to make a "statement" by winning big for playoff purposes.

So far, I think he has the best arm I've seen this year out of QB's. There might be better ones out their, but he is solid. Accurate and strong arm, decent speed and smart kid. Just makes JCA so dynamic since most teams play 8 in the box and slide up their Db's/S. Tough to stop. If JCA QB played in a spread offense, his numbers would be off the charts.

Lol...

Truth be told, jca has a long list of qbs playing in college. Come to think about it, I'd compare our qb to college list to anyone's. We might not be first, but I bet not far behind.
Slow your roll there JChill.
If you want to start comparing lists of linemen, then you are on to something. I am still questioning your little RB Academy or whatever you call it. I would argue many of your rb's are products of some massive and talented o lines.

If you want to start comparing lists of linemen, then you are on to something. I am still questioning your little RB Academy or whatever you call it. I would argue many of your rb's are products of some massive and talented o lines.

Can you explain this?

Arguing that any high school has had more success at running back in Joliet Catholic is absolutely ridiculous

I accept your challenge. You pick some schools and I will list jca's qbs and rbs. Agreed?

Arguing that any high school has had more success at running back in Joliet Catholic is absolutely ridiculous

I accept your challenge. You pick some schools and I will list jca's qbs and rbs. Agreed?

Can't argue RB.

QB could be MS, perhaps WWS

Can you explain this?

Currently 4th string after 2 fumbles and a roughing the kicker. Exceptional talent though. Had a tough week.

I am not arguing against your running backs. I am more so supporting your offensive linemen.

Lol...

But What have you done for me lately.

And in true Jwar fashion you respond to any slight Naz criticism with name calling. I am really hurt. Boohoo. I guess we will see. Naz looked great against the run when that is all Benet had any ability to do with the QB issues. JCA can likely run against your D line. Was not that impressed with them. JCAs offense is far superior to anything Naz has seen to date. Maybe you win, maybe you don't. Surprised you all think they are a perfect team. They ain't. Spectacular offense yes, D not sold yet.

And in true Jwar fashion you respond to any slight Naz criticism with name calling. I am really hurt. Boohoo. I guess we will see. Naz looked great against the run when that is all Benet had any ability to do with the QB issues. JCA can likely run against your D line. Was not that impressed with them. JCAs offense is far superior to anything Naz has seen to date. Maybe you win, maybe you don't. Surprised you all think they are a perfect team. They ain't. Spectacular offense yes, D not sold yet.
In true Benet fashion. I don't care because I think our D is pretty decent and I will be proven right or wrong this weeken.. I mean they did have 6 sacks against a team that only had the ability to run. So I went back and looked at the game. Benet starting QB was in for 3 series, or until 2:57 left in the 1st, or 11 of their 55 offensive plays. so 20%. Over those 11 plays they gained 17 yards, 12 on the 1st 2 play, 2 sacks, 1 completion. By my estimation it didn't matter who was in there the rest of the game.

In true Benet fashion. I don't care because I think our D is pretty decent and I will be proven right or wrong this weeken.. I mean they did have 6 sacks against a team that only had the ability to run. So I went back and looked at the game. Benet starting QB was in for 3 series, or until 2:57 left in the 1st, or 11 of their 55 offensive plays. so 20%. Over those 11 plays they gained 17 yards, 12 on the 1st 2 play, 2 sacks, 1 completion. By my estimation it didn't matter who was in there the rest of the game.
So you are saying that Benet's coaching staff wouldn't have been able to adjust at all? Find a way to get a few first downs and get some momentum, and potentially score a couple TD's? I would agree zero chance Benet wins the game. Pretty easy to call D when you know the other team can't throw the ball.

Illini14,

Let's set the record a little straighter than its been this far...the other quarterbacks that played are capable especially the Sophomore that came in in the second half...the problem was their offensive line could not block the defensive line period. Adjustment or not there was no answer for Benet this past Friday night and there wouldn't have been if the QB would have stayed healthy and in the game.

So you are saying that Benet's coaching staff wouldn't have been able to adjust at all? Find a way to get a few first downs and get some momentum, and potentially score a couple TD's? I would agree zero chance Benet wins the game. Pretty easy to call D when you know the other team can't throw the ball.

ch02st,

It was really more about the "are you kidding me" than about the added bonus Red brings to the table in the picture! JCA will definitely be able to run against Naz, that's what the JCA team is built for and always has been...thank you for your brilliant analysis. JCA o-Line may be far superior to anything anyone sees this year, only time will tell. Never said Naz was a perfect team, but they were dammed close to perfect against Benet last Friday and it's easy to see that still grinds your gears. You best focus your attentions to Carmel now because even with Turner on the sidelines you could have your hands full!

So you are saying that Benet's coaching staff wouldn't have been able to adjust at all?

WADR to their coach, but no... For a few years now, Benet is a team that's been volatile as a drunk CCL fan on 95th street. Maybe a new staff can keep them straight and consistent year in and out, but not this New one.

Let's set the record a little straighter than its been this far...the other quarterbacks that played are capable especially the Sophomore that came in in the second half...the problem was their offensive line could not block the defensive line period. Adjustment or not there was no answer for Benet this past Friday night and there wouldn't have been if the QB would have stayed healthy and in the game.[/QUOTE]

I would argue that the other three that played are not capable of running a varsity offense.

WADR to their coach, but no... For a few years now, Benet is a team that's been volatile as a drunk CCL fan on 95th street. Maybe a new staff can keep them straight and consistent year in and out, but not this New one.

2010 - 5-5, 7A playoffs
2011 - 1-8
2012- 11-1, 7A playoffs (easy road to semis)
2013 - 6-4, 7A playoffs
2014 - 6-4, 8A playoffs
2015 - most likely 5-4 or 6-3 7A playoffs

http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/RecordsHistory.aspx?url=/data/fb/records/index.htm
I think Gorforth had the job for 20+ years and got to the playoffs 6 times. I would say most Benet followers would argue that New has the program on a consistent path.

2010 - 5-5, 7A playoffs
2011 - 1-8
2013 - 6-4, 7A playoffs
2014 - 6-4, 8A playoffs

http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/RecordsHistory.aspx?url=/data/fb/records/index.htm
I think Gorforth had the job for 20+ years and got to the playoffs 6 times. I would say most Benet followers would argue that New has the program on a consistent path.

I'm talking a team that plays up and down football throughout the year, not over a span of years. The last two seasons have been all over the place in terms of play, up and down. Not to mention the mess with the QB a few years ago. Go ahead and blame the kid, but it wasn't handled well in general.

I'm talking a team that plays up and down football throughout the year, not over a span of years. The last two seasons have been all over the place in terms of play, up and down. Not to mention the mess with the QB a few years ago. Go ahead and blame the kid, but it wasn't handled well in general.
You are correct on all fronts on that post.

The deciding factor will be naz's QB play. If JCA is watching the same film as I am they are going to force him to throw those tough routes on the route tree. Like I side before
2010 - 5-5, 7A playoffs
2011 - 1-8
2013 - 6-4, 7A playoffs
2014 - 6-4, 8A playoffs

Finally someone brings up the old West Suburban Catholic Conference, when Benet & IC were the top dogs and would beat down on Montini, Driscoll (little nugget, a young TIm Racki at fullback) were the doormats of the conference, and St. Francis would have a team now and then but lose in heart breaking fashion on the old hook and later. Gorforth was extremely successful and was thought of as a mad man because he incorporated the forward pass. He moved onto a public school were he did not share the same success. #derailledthread

ch02st,

It was really more about the "are you kidding me" than about the added bonus Red brings to the table in the picture! JCA will definitely be able to run against Naz, that's what the JCA team is built for and always has been...thank you for your brilliant analysis. JCA o-Line may be far superior to anything anyone sees this year, only time will tell. Never said Naz was a perfect team, but they were dammed close to perfect against Benet last Friday and it's easy to see that still grinds your gears. You best focus your attentions to Carmel now because even with Turner on the sidelines you could have your hands full!

Naz being the better team does not grind my gears. They are and have been for a few years. I respect the team on the field quite a bit. Their fans and parents, not so much. I was simply agreeing the a prior post that Benet would have been able to a little something if they had their starting QB. I also said it would have not changed the win/loss outcome, had you bothered to read my post in full.

I would also agree that Naz was close to perfect that night. Still does not change my opinion of your D. Naz has had an easy schedule, easy includes my Redwings who are about as mediocre and up and down as it gets. As Benet is the best team your beloved have beaten, forgive me if I am unimpressed. JCA soundly beat a team yours gave up 34 unanswered. Yes I know the field sucked but Naz blew a 19 point lead and got spunked. Forgive me if I think JCA will be able to run effectively and keep your offense off the field. Yes, there is my brilliant analysis.

Thank you are helping me kill this long wait at the DMV. Your the best Jwar!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT