ADVERTISEMENT

Naz/JCA

Secondo1

Aug 29, 2011
Now that it appears that Naz's loss to MCC was more of a fluke, since MCC has lost big two weeks in a row, what are the thoughts on the game this Friday? At Joliet with good weather forecasted.

Keys to the game?

Reactions: lkhammer57
For Naz:

- get their athletes (Kelly-Martin, Love etc.) in space in the pass or run game (on the perimeter)
- compete at the LOS....to allow their athletes to do their thing. Don't have to win this battle....just don't get overwhelmed
- bring pressure on defense (the Racki philosophy)....use their speed and quickness to get in gaps and disrupt the flow of JC's offense....get after the JC QB in obvious passing downs
- key on Michael Johnson....make others step up
- break big plays....including special teams

For JCA:

- limit the big plays....defend the perimeter
- do not kick the ball to Julian Love
- stay away from slow developing plays...won't work against Naz' pressure....use misdirection etc. to keep Naz defense honest. Pound it right at them in the run game and use play action. Naz will sell out to stop the run.
- get Naz in 3rd and long. Put the onus on the Naz QB, then bring the pressure
- physical play...win the battle at the LOS and make sure Naz knows they will get hit in this game

This is going to be a dynamite game! I can't make it on Friday so I wish it were Saturday.

I don't see this being as close as everyone else, I just watched the JCA film last night and see the score being something like a 41 - 28.

Reason being I see naz being exposed at the 5,1,0 technique on the line. Also with Naz's line going both ways I just feel they are going get worn down as the game goes on. Naz is asking their line to play a lot of snaps and it will be especially hard to go against a grueling style of offense like JCA for 4 quarters.

From what I have seen this season, Naz's QB looks like he can throw the ball, but I'm not sure if he can pass it.

Teams have been focusing on Love which is allowing Ivory to have those huge holes. If I'm Sharp I overload the box and bring A LOT of pressure. Stop Ivory first, contain the jet sweep with Love, and force Naz to throw to the toughest routes on the route tree. Let naz have those tough routes and have Naz's QB prove he can make those tough throws.

Like pjjp said, what naz needs to do is keep this game on the perimeter, create match ups where its naz's best athletes vs jca's best athletes. Also they need to take more shots down field, let their athletes go up and go get it. JCA is going to be focusing on Love/Ivory. Ive seen #6 on naz make some great catches and he has speed, I would give him more targets on the weak side.

But its the ESCC so you never know what can happen.

Reactions: Wild_Mustang
Does JCA have 1 or 2 lineman going both ways? Also, what do you do to try to stop Michael Johnson?

Common opponent so far is MCC although the conditions of that game were horrible.

Montini could never stop Ty Isaac but in later years they did do some things on defense that would slow him down and prevent him from getting 70-80 breakaway TD runs.

Last edited:
Where's Jwar? Would be interested to read his take on this game.

JCA is easily a 14 point favorite, maybe 17 being at home
Maybe more I say 21 to 24 pt favorites. Naz plays ALOT of underclassmen. I think something like 2 Frosh and 3 Sophs on that defense.

I support that team who had the fluke win against Nazareth so I have seen them both play and going with JCA by 14.The Oline and Johnson will dominate. How do you call it a fluke when you spot a team that is the defending State Champions riding a 17 game win streak 19 points and still beat them. Call it what it is Nazareth just got beat. Yes MCC has been beaten by JCA and ND Niles the last 2 weeks whom I think are pretty good football teams.

How do you call it a fluke when you spot a team that is the defending State Champions riding a 17 game win streak 19 points and still beat them.

Doing that, then going out and dropping two games in staggering fashion, is about as fluky as flukes get.

I imagine you are solely referring to the OP, but all the Naz guys said after the game MCC beat them. The conditions sucked for Naz's styles of play, but MCC won the individual match-ups and beat them. That said, in the context of what's happened, the game looks very

fluke3_560.jpg

pjjp,

I'm out here but under the weather a bit. It's going to be a hard hitting tough game. I see both coaches paying tight for the first half in order to prevent mistakes that could cause a quick run up by either team. This has the potential to be a great game, and success for each team will depend on who thinks outside the box more I believe. If the game plays out the way I believe it will the margin of victory is 6 and as it sits I see it going to JCA.

Where's Jwar? Would be interested to read his take on this game.

Rage,

You're better than this! We all said that MCC beat Naz period but your field is a JOKE! Even Bulaga posted it on Twitter. Invest a little money in the field and join the 20th century(yes that's not a typo). If anyone wants to play on a cow pasture why even bother to plant grass! Yes games in the mud can be fun, but they don't make for competitive football contests. Several college games were played this past weekend in heavy rain(15-20") in the Carolinas and those fields held up because they are engineered to DRAIN water not to create puddles 4-5" deep. Good luck the rest of the season with your team. I know a few of the boys and think they too deserve better.

I support that team who had the fluke win against Nazareth so I have seen them both play and going with JCA by 14.The Oline and Johnson will dominate. How do you call it a fluke when you spot a team that is the defending State Champions riding a 17 game win streak 19 points and still beat them. Call it what it is Nazareth just got beat. Yes MCC has been beaten by JCA and ND Niles the last 2 weeks whom I think are pretty good football teams.

pjjp,

I'm out here but under the weather a bit. It's going to be a hard hitting tough game. I see both coaches paying tight for the first half in order to prevent mistakes that could cause a quick run up by either team. This has the potential to be a great game, and success for each team will depend on who thinks outside the box more I believe. If the game plays out the way I believe it will the margin of victory is 6 and as it sits I see it going to JCA.
NAZ by 14 yes I said it NAZ by 14.

Interesting take on it. I believe I have an idea what each coach has in store, but it will be interesting to see what wrinkles they come up with in their respective game plans. I think this could be the first game where JCA feels the loss of Harry Davis. They will need others besides Michael Johnson to step up. I expect Naz to sell out to stop him. I want to see how JC's defense handles Naz' speed. Benet did not do a good job containing the perimeter. JC will also need to contain Julian Love in the return game. He could make some game-changing plays there. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out Friday night.

Does JCA have 1 or 2 lineman going both ways? Also, what do you do to try to stop Michael Johnson?

JC has a three-man rotation at one of their DT spots. Two are starting O-linemen and the third is a defense-only guy.

As to stopping Johnson, I expect Naz to attempt to get as much penetration as possible (run blitzing etc.). This is where JC may miss Harry Davis. When Provi sold out to stop the run, JC burned them in play action with passes to Davis and Johnson.

PJJP,

Look for some BIG skill players rising to the challenge first. The biggest problem I see for JCA is that there are players on both sides of the ball that no one can account for at this point because they haven't even begun to be used. Not sure that they will come out this week but they are there lying in the weeds! Regarding Benet...they never knew what hit them. Coach New seems to think this team could be better than last year's if everyone stays healthy...I think personally that's an overstatement, but hey everyone likes a compliment.

Interesting take on it. I believe I have an idea what each coach has in store, but it will be interesting to see what wrinkles they come up with in their respective game plans. I think this could be the first game where JCA feels the loss of Harry Davis. They will need others besides Michael Johnson to step up. I expect Naz to sell out to stop him. I want to see how JC's defense handles Naz' speed. Benet did not do a good job containing the perimeter. JC will also need to contain Julian Love in the return game. He could make some game-changing plays there. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out Friday night.

PJJP,

Look for some BIG skill players rising to the challenge first. The biggest problem I see for JCA is that there are players on both sides of the ball that no one can account for at this point because they haven't even begun to be used. Not sure that they will come out this week but they are there lying in the weeds! Regarding Benet...they never knew what hit them. Coach New seems to think this team could be better than last year's if everyone stays healthy...I think personally that's an overstatement, but hey everyone likes a compliment.
Surely he's talking about Benet right? Naz is good, perhaps very good but no where near last year at this point.

TPF,

He was referring to the Nazareth team. He said it to me personnally at Northwestern earlier this year and echoed that statement Friday after the loss. I don't think Benet is Better than last year personally, but could be convinced they are on par. I do think that Nazareth's defense could be better than last year and the skills are certainly, the line play this year has been solid but not on last year's level.

Surely he's talking about Benet right? Naz is good, perhaps very good but no where near last year at this point.

The Guiness will be flowing at Traditions. I am gonna go MC has no more Friday games rest of season.

TPF,

He was referring to the Nazareth team. He said it to me personnally at Northwestern earlier this year and echoed that statement Friday after the loss. I don't think Benet is Better than last year personally, but could be convinced they are on par. I do think that Nazareth's defense could be better than last year and the skills are certainly, the line play this year has been solid but not on last year's level.
2014 Naz >>> 2015 Naz at this point. Lots of time to for kids to prove otherwise but I don't see how you think it's close. 2014 D was damn good, how many points in meaningful time against them? I don't see the skills as better, maybe in potential, but not in production. Naz QB play far superior in 2014 then so far this uear. Naz run game better in '14 too. I understand a lot is attributed to OL but still. Naz's DL was better in '14 although this group can be pretty good at times. Big difference on D was 2014 LB's, Naz has no one like D. Kelly-Martin, that kid was a freak.

PJJP,

Just watching some film on Naz this year compared to last year, they are relatively the same at the skills talent wise. But up front NAZ's 2014 group was much more dominant than in 2015. They are going to have issues when someone is just as good as them upfront and turns it into a ballgame.
I believe Benet lost their QB in the 2nd quarter against NAZ, I think he gets them at least 14 against them and makes the game a little more interesting if he plays all 4. Benet looks better than last year in my eyes.

TPF,

I love Dex and have for sometime but the some of this year's parts on Defense in my opinion are better than last year. You may very well be right and I respect your opinion as well. Perhaps the line isn't as stout but the others make up for it. Again the skills this year on the team are more talented and the QB is half of last year's double headed monster. He is getting better week to week for sure. All things said both teams have their own qualities and since I have a son that's started on both teams I have a pretty good frame of reference.

2014 Naz >>> 2015 Naz at this point. Lots of time to for kids to prove otherwise but I don't see how you think it's close. 2014 D was damn good, how many points in meaningful time against them? I don't see the skills as better, maybe in potential, but not in production. Naz QB play far superior in 2014 then so far this uear. Naz run game better in '14 too. I understand a lot is attributed to OL but still. Naz's DL was better in '14 although this group can be pretty good at times. Big difference on D was 2014 LB's, Naz has no one like D. Kelly-Martin, that kid was a freak.
PF

No difference if Sznyder plays or not, DL was on a mission and none of the Benet receivers could get open Period. Move along nothing to see here.

Just watching some film on Naz this year compared to last year, they are relatively the same at the skills talent wise. But up front NAZ's 2014 group was much more dominant than in 2015. They are going to have issues when someone is just as good as them upfront and turns it into a ballgame.
I believe Benet lost their QB in the 2nd quarter against NAZ, I think he gets them at least 14 against them and makes the game a little more interesting if he plays all 4. Benet looks better than last year in my eyes.

I think the JCA O-line will handle the Naz D-line. Therefore Naz is going to be forced to put 8 in the box to stop the run. At the same time Naz cannot afford to let Michael Johnson get 50-70 yard TD's either through the ground or the air. Having Love on defense will help to counter that JCA speed but does Naz have a couple of other speedsters on the defense side of the ball? (I don't know their other starters).

I think Naz will need to win the turnover game by +2 to have a shot to win this game. Naz will also have to win on special teams play.

Wassup

I think the JCA O-line will handle the Naz D-line. Therefore Naz is going to be forced to put 8 in the box to stop the run. At the same time Naz cannot afford to let Michael Johnson get 50-70 yard TD's either through the ground or the air. Having Love on defense will help to counter that JCA speed but does Naz have a couple of other speedsters on the defense side of the ball? (I don't know their other starters).

I think Naz will need to win the turnover game by +2 to have a shot to win this game. Naz will also have to win on special teams play.

Wassup

Naz may have 1-2 guys faster than Love on the defense.

The comparisons between last year and this year to me, for this game in particular, ate strangely irrelevant.

Jca took naz to the absolute wire last year. However, thus year's jca team would beat last year's jca team 42-0...and that is no joke.

So unless the same is true for this year's naz team...

What I am getting at is: I fully anticipate a good game so the comparisons for this game's sake are not meaningful

After reading their posts, Jwar and Godfather have JCA as either a 6 point to a 21-24 point favorite.

At the same time JWAR states that Naz is a better team this year than last, with a better defense, the skill positions are better with a solid line. Jwar also says that Naz hasn't shown all their weapons yet. Godfather states that 1 or 2 guys on defense are faster than Love.

I know what sandbagging is when I see it, but I don't quite know what to call what JWar and Godfather are doing.

Reactions: J0051
Bronco,

I didn't say this team is better, I said the defense could be better and the skills are better. The big difference is in the O-Line and perhaps to an extent the D-Line as well. Based on jChill comments I change my prediction to Naz+56. I just hope we escape Joliet without injury and don't see JCA again until much later this season. Hopefully they end up in the 5A south!

After reading their posts, Jwar and Godfather have JCA as either a 6 point to a 21-24 point favorite.

At the same time JWAR states that Naz is a better team this year than last, with a better defense, the skill positions are better with a solid line. Jwar also says that Naz hasn't shown all their weapons yet. Godfather states that 1 or 2 guys on defense are faster than Love.

I know what sandbagging is when I see it, but I don't quite know what to call what JWar and Godfather are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT