ADVERTISEMENT

Most famous alums

Evergreen Park:

Baseball: Donn Pall and Jim Adduci

Theodore Kuczynski (The Unabomber)
Jim Yukich (Grammy Award winning producer)

Do baseball players count as athletes??

Most of the time when I'm watching them they are just standing around.

Exceptions are the pitchers and the catchers.

Reactions: ignazio
Glenbrook N

Athletes
Jason Kipnis
Scott Sanderson
Anne Henning- Olympic speed skating medalist
JT Compher - Colorado Avalanche

Celebrity/TV
Dave Revsine
Laura Okmin

I’m sure there’s more

Cubbies just signed Kipnis today to a minor league contract.

Reactions: Bowie50
Willowbrook:

Athletes
Tom Domin, Notre Dame Football, National Champions 1977
Jody Gerut, Milwaukee Brewers.
Tom Hicks, Chicago Bears.
Matt Roth, Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Rowland, pitcher, San Francisco Giants
Dan Schatzeder World Series game winner with the Minnesota Twins.
Mike Sheldon, Miami Dolphins.

Entertainment
The Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah

Author John Powers. I really enjoyed the books The Last American Catholic and Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up? which followed his life at St. Christina and BR (but by different names)

outstanding READ if i may say so myself!!!

Willowbrook:

Athletes
Tom Domin, Notre Dame Football, National Champions 1977
Jody Gerut, Milwaukee Brewers.
Tom Hicks, Chicago Bears.
Matt Roth, Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Rowland, pitcher, San Francisco Giants
Dan Schatzeder World Series game winner with the Minnesota Twins.
Mike Sheldon, Miami Dolphins.

Entertainment
The Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah

My cousin, who is a Willowbrook grad, went to prom with the lead singer of the The Plain White T's..i guess that should have probably went in the dating thread. Sorry.

Reactions: JolietWest89
Quincy Senior High School

Sports
--- Bruce Douglas - Illini/NBA/CBA
--- Rick Hummel - Sports writer/MLB Hall of Fame inductee
--- Luke Guthrie - PGA

General
--- Jonathan Van Ness - Hairdresser/TV Personality (Queer Eye)

My favorite - the guy who dated one of the Go Gos.
(Personally, I once dated a girl at DePaul who had gone on a date with Dustin Hoffman during the 1968 convention. I'm not sure if anyone had heard of Hoffman at that time.)

Also, you Rita guys missed Lee Loughnane, an original member of Chicago. I knew him at DePaul, as well, but I didn't date him.

Did any of the Rice guys mention John C. Reilly?

But they all pale in comparison to dating one of the Go Gos. Sharp eye, Sparty!
I thought Lee Loughnane was a west side guy and went to Providence St Mel and graduated there in 1964?

Author John Powers. I really enjoyed the books The Last American Catholic and Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up? which followed his life at St. Christina and BR (but by different names)
Last Catholic in America and Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up were hilarious. The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice Cream God not as good as the other two but still a good read.

My favorite - the guy who dated one of the Go Gos.
(Personally, I once dated a girl at DePaul who had gone on a date with Dustin Hoffman during the 1968 convention. I'm not sure if anyone had heard of Hoffman at that time.)

Also, you Rita guys missed Lee Loughnane, an original member of Chicago. I knew him at DePaul, as well, but I didn't date him.

Did any of the Rice guys mention John C. Reilly?

But they all pale in comparison to dating one of the Go Gos. Sharp eye, Sparty!
In Sparty’s defense, at the time, Belinda Carlisle was was hotter than Hoffman, Reilly or anyone from Chicago.

Do baseball players count as athletes??

Most of the time when I'm watching them they are just standing around.

Exceptions are the pitchers and the catchers.
Funny story. It seems as if John Kruk, in his playing days, was in a bar with a friend who introduced him to a woman. The woman looked at him and said, "you don't look like a professional athlete." To which Kruk quipped, "I'm not. I am a baseball player."

Reactions: Wassup13
As you know, the film "The Graduate" was one of Hoffman's first appearances and was released in December of 1967. It was a box office smash and Hoffman was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar. I am sure there were people who knew of him.

Interesting story behind the film depending on the source. Some say Hoffman almost didn't get the role. And a lot of women were interested in the part of Mrs. Robinson, which went to Anne Bancroft.

Reactions: The Outfit
A few years ago Linda Gray said she was the lady with the legs on the poster for The Graduate. I was born just before the movie came out and saw it maybe when I was 8 or 10, but I have had a crush on Katherine Ross, Ann Bancroft and Linda Gray ever since. I hope whoever did casting for that film got paid well.

A few years ago Linda Gray said she was the lady with the legs on the poster for The Graduate. I was born just before the movie came out and saw it maybe when I was 8 or 10, but I have had a crush on Katherine Ross, Ann Bancroft and Linda Gray ever since. I hope whoever did casting for that film got paid well.

A friend of mine once got a resume which stated that the guy "was formerly married to Katherine Ross." My buddy had no intention of pursuing someone who'd put his on his resume, but he did call the guy. It was a different Katherine Ross. Click.

Reactions: Simon "GHOST' Riley
My cousin, who is a Willowbrook grad, went to prom with the lead singer of the The Plain White T's..i guess that should have probably went in the dating thread. Sorry.
Is ur cousin an LT Grad?

Technically, Hillary graduated from Maine South. She went to Maine East for her freshman thru junior years, but got redistricted for her senior year when Maine South opened.

The most famous Maine East alumnae everyone can get behind is Harrison Ford.. Han Solo himself.

Others:
Jamie Gertz ("I gotta go..we got cows")
Steve Goodman - Go Cubs Go
Rich Koz - Son of Svengoolie
Karen Black - actresss
Carrie Snodgrass - actress
Stanton Cook - Tribune/Cubs

That's the story HRC wants you to believe...those in the know know that she transferred to MS when she lost the class president election her first three years at ME, but then lost at MS too.

Last edited:
I started at Lake Forest and then finished at CL South

Lake Forest

Sports- Rob Pelinak great basketball player who could really shoot it. (Went to Michigan on a basketball scholarship, Sr during the Fab Five Frosh yr). Became a sports agent now GM for the Lakers

Media- Sarah Spain of ESPN, Late Tim Weigel (ABC-7 and WBBM-2 sports anchor)

CL South

Sports- Dennis Gardeck Arizona Cardinals
Scott Olsen starting P for Marlins, Nats

Media- Late Randy Salerno (WGN-TV, WBBM-TV)

A friend of mine once got a resume which stated that the guy "was formerly married to Katherine Ross." My buddy had no intention of pursuing someone who'd put his on his resume, but he did call the guy. It was a different Katherine Ross. Click.
Hey! You just reminded me of something I had totally forgotten. Back in 1982 I was a sales manager and we were hiring and we received a resume from ex-Cubs pitcher Milt Pappas. The president of the company and I sat in on the interview. All Pappas wanted to do was to pay him to let us use his name for commercials. That was the end of that interview.

The Kruk story I heard was, and I am sure there are many, was he was in a restaurant and was smoking while eating his dinner.

An adult who was with his child asked how could he afford to be a chain-smoker if he was an athlete. His response, "I'm not an athlete. I'm a baseball player."

Also, in regards to Katherine Ross. She's been married to Sam Elliott since 1984. I don't think anyone wants to mess with him, even at age 75.

I grew up in tiny Morrison, Ill., a little two hours west of Chicago, population 4,200 and slowly shrinking, our claim to fame is Robert Millikan who won the Nobel Prize and founded the university.
I do think we've had some girls softball players in recent years who have made a national impact and maybe even played professionally. I've been gone so long, however, I can't recall the names.
There also is a music producer active right now -- Paul Klimson -- who has worked with many of the big names out there. Justin Timberlake, John Legend, Kelly Clarkson, The Roots, etc.
It looks like he designed the theater sound system for Fallon's Tonight Show and worked on the show for six years or so.
But he's a behind the scenes guy.

Last edited:
De La Salle - Five Chicago Mayors; former NFL player Renaldo Wynn; former MLB players Brian Bogusevic, Lou Pote, Bob Kennedy and White Sox great Dennis O'Toole; Dan Ryan (for whom the expressway is named); artist Hebru Brantley.

De La Salle - Five Chicago Mayors; former NFL player Renaldo Wynn; former MLB players Brian Bogusevic, Lou Pote, Bob Kennedy and White Sox great Dennis O'Toole; Dan Ryan (for whom the expressway is named); artist Hebru Brantley.

The Gumbel brothers (Greg and Bryant), Charles Comiskey II and NFL Hall of Famer George Connor are also Meteors!

After reading about the LA alum winning the Oscar, it got me to thinking, who is the most famous alum from your high school. Not a lot of football going on right now, so who is your schools most famous alum, sports and non-sports?

From JCA, I would say:
Sports-
George Mikan-basketball
Mike Alstott and Tom Thayer-football

Arts and Entertainment-
Melissa McCarthy-actress

hard not to put me in that list, no?

Also from Morton East...Actor Paul Quandt '84 who played the part of Carson in the movie My Bodyguard..I don't think he ever appeared in another film..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT