ADVERTISEMENT

Most famous alums

Great thread @USD24 . It’s fun reading through them. Forgot to add Mike Kafka for St. Rita since his name has been in the papers the last month as the QB coach for the SuperBowl Champs Kansas City Chiefs.

Reactions: McCaravan
WWS/ Wheaton Central

Harold "Red" Grange (class of 1922), college and NFL halfback.

Edwin Hubble (class of 1906), astronomer who determined the existence of galaxies and Hubble telescope fame.

Samuel K. Skinner (class of 1956), U.S. Secretary of Transportation (1989–91) and Chief of Staff for President George H. W. Bush (1991–92)

Bob Woodward (class of 1961), investigative reporter who broke the Watergate

John Belushi (class of 1967), comedian and actor

Jim Belushi (class of 1972), comedian and actor

Dustin Byfuglien (attended 2000-01, did not graduate from WWSHS),

Jason Rezaian (attended 1990-1992) a Washington Post journalist who was imprisoned for 545 days in Iran after being accused of Espionage

Sean Rooney (class of 2001), professional volleyball player in Europe and Asia. He was a member of the gold medal winning team for the United States at the 2008 Summer Olympics.

Sonal Shah (class of 1998), actress, best known for her role as Dr. Sonja "Sunny" Day on the television series Scrubs

Sandra Smith (class of 1998), television host for Fox News

Kevin Streelman (class of 1997), professional golfer on the PGA Tour[40]

Great thread @USD24 . It’s fun reading through them. Forgot to add Mike Kafka for St. Rita since his name has been in the papers the last month as the QB coach for the SuperBowl Champs Kansas City Chiefs.

How did you miss me????;);)
I would add the #1 football fan in the state Dr. Gerardo Grieco who had made over 600 consecutive St. Rita games w/o a miss. Puts my 380 (accumulative not consecutive) to shame.

St Joseph

Andy Frederick (class of 1973) was an offensive tackle in the National Football League (1977–85) and was a member of the Super Bowl XIIchampion Dallas Cowboys and the Super Bowl XXchampion Chicago Bears.
William Gates (class of 1991) basketball player; subject of the documentary film Hoop Dreams Steven Harris is a professional actor.
Wood Harris is a professional actor and younger brother of Steve Harris.
Demetri McCamey (class of 2007) was a basketball guard for the Illinois Fighting Illini men's basketball team; he currently plays professionally in Japan Amal McCaskill was a professional basketball player, playing in the NBA (1996–97, 2001–04). Cameron Meredith (class of 2010) is a former NFL wide receiver for the New Orleans Saints and Chicago Bears
Isiah Thomas (class of 1979) NBA player, coach, executive, member of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History team
Evan Turner (class of 2007) is a former All-American, 2010 John Wooden Award winner and National Player of the Year at Ohio State (2007-2010); he currently plays guard/forward for the Portland Trail Blazers
Glynn Watson (class of 2015) is a college basketball player for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the younger brother of Demetri McCamey
Pierre Walters, former NFL player for the Kansas City Chiefs and current Mixed Martial Artist

I cant believe my dad is not included on this list. He is a member of St Joe's inaugural graduating class and is a legend around my house!;)

Buffalo Grove

Tom Zbikowski, ND All American and NFL player

Tim Bogar, first base coach for World Series winning Nationals and nine year MLB player

Mike Marshall, Dodgers All-Star outfielder who also dated Belinda Carlisle of The GoGos

Josh Paul, White Sox catcher

Brian McBride, soccer legend
Tom Z is a Chicago Firemen now! After spending close to the last two decades with the CPD you see a lot of the players that have been discussed here or that you watched play years earlier that land on the CPD/CFD. I can shout out about 30 former big name All Conference Catholic Leaguers that I’ve personally come across on the job. Football season in the Police Stations and Fire houses is ground zero! Lot of great talk and side bets!

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
Steve Bartman?

Even though he didn’t make it as a pro, Jon Scheyer has to be the biggest high school sports name ever from GBN

I was under the impression that Bartman went to Notre Dame (high school and college). At least that was the story among ND alums. But now I am not so sure.

This article says GBN: https://patch.com/illinois/northbrook/cubs-plan-reach-out-steve-bartman
This article says NND: https://gazettereview.com/2016/12/happened-steve-bartman-now-cubs-won/

Anyways, ND famous alums:

Sports: Greg Luzinski (baseball slugger, 4 time all star), John McDonough (president of the Blackhawks), Michael McCaskey (former chairman of the Bears)

General: James Pankow (member of the band, Chicago)

Marmion Academy

Chick Hern - Voice of the Lakers
Brad Childress - NFL Head Coach
Jim Oberweis of Ice Cream fame

Note....George Ireland was a very successful head coach for Marmion basketball for 20 years (1930 - 1950 ??) before going to win a national title at Loyola in 1963

I always thought Chick was a West Aurora guy. Was he a broadcaster there in the very early days?

Jonathan Nolan ‘94 (a double Jesi - went to Georgetown)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Nolan

Seriously though, can any school top Bill Murray in terms of fame? Perhaps Maine East with Hillary or Rahm and NT.

While certainly Jonathan Nolan has achieved much notoriety in his line of work, I would argue that he isn't nationally or locally famous with anything close to the sort of name recognition of a Murray brother, or even Chris O'Donnell, Bill Plante, Dick Devine, or Neal Katyal.

NT General
Charlton Heston
Rock Hudson
Ann-Margret
Virginia Madsen
John Hughes
Rainn Wilson
Liz Phair
John Stossel
Hugh O'Brian
Scott Turow
Bruce Dern
Christie Hefner
Ann Compton
Chet Coppock (my brother's class at NT)
Walter Jacobson
Senator Charles Percy
Senator Mark Kirk
Donald Rumsfeld

NT Sports
Clay Matthews
Mike Pyle
Rick Hahn

Last edited:
This thread could take a dark turn by going down the road of INFAMOUS alums, but I suspect both content and posters could risk the dreaded flush. I'll stop right now.

Quincy Notre Dame

Athletics
---Caren Kemner - US Olympic Volleyball player, 1992 Olympic bronze medalist
---Jim Finigan - MLB
---D.A. Weibring - PGA

General (Infamous)
--- Michael Swango (Dr. Death) [Serial Killer] - 3 consecutive life term sentences w/o parole

Archbishop Moeller

Ken Griffey Jr

Barry Larkin -Reds SS

Tom Waddle - Bears WR, Host AM 1000 Chicago

While certainly Jonathan Nolan has achieved much notoriety in his line of work, I would argue that he isn't nationally or locally famous with anything close to the sort of name recognition of a Murray brother, or even Chris O'Donnell, Bill Plante, Dick Devine, or Neal Katyal.

NT General
Charlton Heston
Rock Hudson
Ann-Margret
Virginia Madsen
John Hughes
Rainn Wilson
Liz Phair
John Stossel
Hugh O'Brian
Scott Turow
Bruce Dern
Christie Hefner
Ann Compton
Chet Coppock (my brother's class at NT)
Walter Jacobson
Senator Charles Percy
Senator Mark Kirk
Donald Rumsfeld

NT Sports
Clay Matthews
Mike Pyle
Rick Hahn

Robert Conrad (acto) also attended NT, don't know if he graduated.

Mount Carmel

Football- Donovan McNabb, Simeon Rice, Chris Calloway, Jordan Lynch (for his numerous Collegiate accomplishments). Several others with short Professional careers.

Baseball- Denny McClain (last pitcher to win 30 games), John Mallee (Angels hitting coach, was Cubs hitting coach for their WS year), and Predicting Alek Thomas.

Hockey- Chris Chellios- Offically not an alum and only an honorary alum due to a family move to California his senior year but he always considers MC his Alma Mater.

Basketball- Antione Walker. Craig Robinson (former Oregon St coach, Michelle Obama’s brother)

Wrestling- US Olympian Joe Williams

Acting- Daniel Sujata (Franco Rivera on Rescue Me, known as Dan Condon, center on the MC 89 Football team, while at MC). Richard Kiley but I think MC63 may be the only one who knows who he is!

Politics- Fast Eddie Vrdolyak.
Erik Pappas for baseball?

East Aurora:

Kurt Becker - Chicago Bears
Jay Taylor - Pro basketball
Aaron McGee Pro basketball
Ryan Boatright - Pro Basketball
The Kivisto family - (Ernie, Tom and Bob) basketball royalty

Robert Conrad (acto) also attended NT, don't know if he graduated.

He died just a few days ago. I remember growing up and watching him in the Black Sheep Squadron on TV and my mother telling me that he was my family's milkman for a while back in the 1950s. She specifically remembered him telling her that he was quitting his job to go to Hollywood and give it his best shot. She thought he was going to fail miserably. :rolleyes:

He died just a few days ago. I remember growing up and watching him in the Black Sheep Squadron on TV and my mother telling me that he was my family's milkman for a while back in the 1950s. She specifically remembered him telling her that he was quitting his job to go to Hollywood and give it his best shot. She thought he was going to fail miserably. :rolleyes:
Knock this battery of my shoulder. I dare ya. Loved that commercial growing up!

Reactions: kpjasion
Princeton
Keith Knudsen - Drummer for the Doobies
-I think the inventor of the Swifter pads is from Princeton too...

Batavia
Kenny Anderson
Dan Issel
Craig Sager

I was under the impression that Bartman went to Notre Dame (high school and college). At least that was the story among ND alums. But now I am not so sure.

This article says GBN: https://patch.com/illinois/northbrook/cubs-plan-reach-out-steve-bartman
This article says NND: https://gazettereview.com/2016/12/happened-steve-bartman-now-cubs-won/

Sports: Greg Luzinski (baseball slugger, 4 time all star), John McDonough (president of the Blackhawks), Michael McCaskey (former chairman of the Bears)

The Bull went to ND? I did not know that

Reactions: ESCC fan
Fremd produced James Degorski and Juan Luna, who are responsible for the Brown's Chicken murders.
Fremd produced James Degorski and Juan Luna, who are responsible for the Brown's Chicken murders.
So awful. I remember the night like it was yesterday. My buddy Mike Castro (St. Theresa and PHS - would of been ‘94) was murdered that night. Tragic.

Reactions: Gene K.
Marmion Academy

Chick Hern - Voice of the Lakers
Brad Childress - NFL Head Coach
Jim Oberweis of Ice Cream fame

Note....George Ireland was a very successful head coach for Marmion basketball for 20 years (1930 - 1950 ??) before going to win a national title at Loyola in 1963

Love Chick! Growing up in Southern California and a Laker fan Chick was a legend! Like Vin Scully of the Dodgers.

Jonathan Nolan ‘94 (a double Jesi - went to Georgetown)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Nolan

Seriously though, can any school top Bill Murray in terms of fame? Perhaps Maine East with Hillary or Rahm and NT.

Technically, Hillary graduated from Maine South. She went to Maine East for her freshman thru junior years, but got redistricted for her senior year when Maine South opened.

The most famous Maine East alumnae everyone can get behind is Harrison Ford.. Han Solo himself.

Others:
Jamie Gertz ("I gotta go..we got cows")
Steve Goodman - Go Cubs Go
Rich Koz - Son of Svengoolie
Karen Black - actresss
Carrie Snodgrass - actress
Stanton Cook - Tribune/Cubs

Han Solo/Indiana Jones went to Maine East. End Thread.
There are some legends from here - no doubt!

I’d argue ... peak fame internationally, The Belleville Banger comes in two notches behind Han Solo but ahead of Red Grange and the Beluchi’s, who I’d have as numbers 4 and 5 in relation to Q Score, with number 2 being Hillary Rodman of Maine West.

Maybe I overrate the Beluchis.

I don’t think so for Red - the Galloping Ghost is as much college football lore as for Four Horsemen.

Tom Z is a Chicago Firemen now! After spending close to the last two decades with the CPD you see a lot of the players that have been discussed here or that you watched play years earlier that land on the CPD/CFD. I can shout out about 30 former big name All Conference Catholic Leaguers that I’ve personally come across on the job. Football season in the Police Stations and Fire houses is ground zero! Lot of great talk and side bets!
No he’s not, it didn’t take......we’ll leave it at that.

Reactions: kkhawk and PowerI66
Buffalo Grove

Mike Marshall, Dodgers All-Star outfielder who also dated Belinda Carlisle of The GoGos
My favorite - the guy who dated one of the Go Gos.
(Personally, I once dated a girl at DePaul who had gone on a date with Dustin Hoffman during the 1968 convention. I'm not sure if anyone had heard of Hoffman at that time.)

Also, you Rita guys missed Lee Loughnane, an original member of Chicago. I knew him at DePaul, as well, but I didn't date him.

Did any of the Rice guys mention John C. Reilly?

But they all pale in comparison to dating one of the Go Gos. Sharp eye, Sparty!

Reactions: USD24 and eireog

The McCaskey brothers are the most famous brother group. We also have the crazy Smithe furniture brothers and The Flood Disposal brothers.

NBA players Jim Les (another group of brothers) and Matt Mooney ( his brother ironically plays for Jim Les at UC-Davis).

Actors Daniel Pudi and Joseph Sikora are Dons.

Former Bears beat writer John “Moon” Mullin and current beat writer Adam Jahns are Dons too.

Last edited:
My favorite - the guy who dated one of the Go Gos.
(Personally, I once dated a girl at DePaul who had gone on a date with Dustin Hoffman during the 1968 convention. I'm not sure if anyone had heard of Hoffman at that time.)

Also, you Rita guys missed Lee Loughnane, an original member of Chicago. I knew him at DePaul, as well, but I didn't date him.

Did any of the Rice guys mention John C. Reilly?

But they all pale in comparison to dating one of the Go Gos. Sharp eye, Sparty!
\
Pretty sure John C Reilly was mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT