ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant high school football programs of last 10 years in Illinois

To be fair I don't think the argument is that Sugar Ray Leonard wasn't a great boxer because he couldn't beat Mike Tyson. It's more that Mike Tyson shouldn't be boxing the welterweights when he's a heavy weight. And if he was boxing the welterweights it would be no surprise if he won the belt.
O
No you didn’t! Bones are you saying the big mean guy beats the mean little guy?
Lol

Good point Wassup but your ruining the narrative of MC63, whom I respect. I am not taking nothing away from Mt. Carmel which deservedly gets high praise for all it's sports programs. Just that Montini deserves just as much respect for its success also. Your comments about adding 100 more males supports my point about depth when competing in a higher class. As MCHSalum stated the frosh, soph and varsity football teams have less than 100 players. Add 100 more males and if just a 1/3 come out for football as is the current ratio of players to students at Montini, it would make a huge difference in depth as well as giving their better players a chance to come off the field instead of playing both ways. I believe the year that Montini won all their games, they did beat ESL in their stadium as well as other larger schools. That was as you said earlier probably Montini's best team and winning like that on a year to year basis with the current number of students playing football is IMO unlikely.

I would give Montini more respect if they did what MC did and play in 7A & 8A. Especially for the playoffs. It’s a different animal playing the big schools week after week. I liken it to the Boise State debate from the past. Can Boise State beat the big schools? Sure they can for one game but can they do it every week? No! They physically can’t withstand the grind.

Mr Speed
Sure but like another poster pointed out just because they know what their doing doesn’t mean it will work Illinois. I am sure their are plenty of complaints in NJ and PA.
A couple of points;

Plenty of stupid people = plenty of complaints

Pointing out that another poster agreed with you, see directly above.

Plenty of complsints does not mean legitimate complaints.

There are three variations of the homonym for there/their/they're. It's rare to watch someone misuse TWO of them in the same post.

Private schools do a better job of getting this quandary straightened out for you. That's why my suggestions will always be in favor of assisting their efforts.

Not trying something that works because you suspect it won't work again goes against the precepts of the scientific method. Another strong point of private schools.

Last but not least: the biggest downside to a privates only class, from what we've seen, is that the talent then bum-rushes to get there, which for me is not a downside at all.

Germane Jackson OUT!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Corey,

Smaller schools cannot win game after game in the 7a and 8a playoffs because of depth. Depth comes from enrollment numbers.

Corey,

Smaller schools cannot win game after game in the 7a and 8a playoffs because of depth. Depth comes from enrollment numbers.

But it doesn’t and shouldn’t diminish what they accomplish. Winning a state title is very hard - regardless of class. The fact so many on this board get butt hurt by Rochester is hilarious. To diminish those accomplishments is pretty sad.

GCMS won back to back titles in a small class? Is that somehow less important than someone winning multiple titles at 7 or 8A? No. But I would love to see one of these wonks in here go to one of those schools, stand up in front of those kids who work every bit as hard as the bigger school kids do, and tell them, yah you won, but it’s not that significant or it doesn’t mean as much as Naz or Loyola’s titles last year.

I remember the discussion a few years back involved Samson Evans and whether or not he was one of the best ever to play in this state and many of these same posters took issue with that regardless of his stats. Don’t know what it is where we feel we have to downgrade someone’s performance or accomplishments because it doesn’t fit a specific narrative but it’s pretty sad.

Privates are separate in TX, for the most part. How does that work? It's pretty silly to reduce that whole discussion to "in NJ the privates and public's split and the talent went to the privates so it will in Illinois too"

We have to do better as a forum y'all

Privates are separate in TX, for the most part. How does that work? It's pretty silly to reduce that whole discussion to "in NJ the privates and public's split and the talent went to the privates so it will in Illinois too"

We have to do better as a forum y'all

Come on if they split the privates will start giving out football scholarship since we know this wouldn’t bankrupt like 50% of the private schools in the state.

Come on if they split the privates will start giving out football scholarship since we know this wouldn’t bankrupt like 50% of the private schools in the state.
Ah, no...

If you think privates would give out football scholarhships to the point they would bankrupt themselves then they ought to be out of business.

Scholarships -- which are not permitted -- come mostly from donors who want to see their alma mater win.

Successful alumni = more scholarships = better education to make students successful = They then donate more. Fits like a glove.

Ah, no...

If you think privates would give out football scholarhships to the point they would bankrupt themselves then they ought to be out of business.

Scholarships -- which are not permitted -- come mostly from donors who want to see their alma mater win.

Successful alumni = more scholarships = better education to make students successful = They then donate more. Fits like a glove.
Geez! Such logic shouldn't be allowed on this board.

Gene,

One thing I was hoping Montini would do at the end of last year would be to add some plays where both QB's can be in the game at the same time.

I hope they do it for this year.

Gene,

One thing I was hoping Montini would do at the end of last year would be to add some plays where both QB's can be in the game at the same time.

I hope they do it for this year.
Those 2 QBs scare me. They are good! Montini can play havoc with most defenses rotating those 2 in the game and yes have them both out there. Either could line up in the Wildcat and then audible into an option formation. Defending this would be pure hell.

Ah, no...

Not every school has 8-10 alumni who are willing to shell out the tuition to pay for these kids every year.

Reactions: ClownBaby
I would give Montini more respect if they did what MC did and play in 7A & 8A. Especially for the playoffs. It’s a different animal playing the big schools week after week. I liken it to the Boise State debate from the past. Can Boise State beat the big schools? Sure they can for one game but can they do it every week? No! They physically can’t withstand the grind.

Montini deserves a ton of respect. First of all, they played in the CCL Blue last year as the smallest school by far. As it turns out, MC and Montini switched CCL divisions last year. MC dropped down to the Green while Montini moved up to the Blue. Montini played in the Blue last year and went to the final game of 5A. So the analogy to Boise State just doesn't fly.

Secondly, they are already playing up class from their actual enrollment due to the multiplier. They didn't win 5A last year and you want them in 7A or 8A? MC belongs in 7A because that is where their multiplied enrollment puts them. MC has double the number of boys as Montini, and you think the two of them belong in the same class?

They are closer in class to MC than Evergreen or Ridgewood.
Actually Mt. Carmel is closer in the number of students to Evergreen and Ridgewood than Montini. I got these student population figures from the each schools web site, so I assume they are correct.

Evergreen - 843 students
Ridgewood -848 students
Mt. Carmel -850 students
Montini -585 students

Some other high schools just for comparison are as follows:

Loyola -1224 students
Brother Rice - 735 students
St. Rita -600 students
Lincoln Way East -2133 students

Also seems to me that the bigger the school and the longer the school has operated would mean more successful alumni willing to help its athletic programs.

Actually Mt. Carmel is closer in the number of students to Evergreen and Ridgewood than Montini. I got these student population figures from the each schools web site, so I assume they are correct.

Evergreen - 843 students
Ridgewood -848 students
Mt. Carmel -850 students
Montini -585 students

Some other high schools just for comparison are as follows:

Loyola -1224 students
Brother Rice - 735 students
St. Rita -600 students
Lincoln Way East -2133 students

Also seems to me that the bigger the school and the longer the school has operated would mean more successful alumni willing to help its athletic programs.

Just about every number you posted is wrong. And some are not even close to being correct. At no point has Rice been smaller than MC. Loyola has about 2000 kid and LWE is close to 3000.. Mt. Carmel is barely over 600 and Montini is off by about 50.

I typed in student population for every school and that is exactly what each site said. Try it yourself. I am certainly not trying to mislead anyone just typed in the high school student population for each school and that's what if showed. Maybe you have more recent data for Mt. Carmel, BR, etc. If so, please share it. Thanks in advance.

This enrollment number thing gets crazy because of football enrollment, is it a males school only or coed?

Its easier just stating the true number of males in the school.

Those 2 QBs scare me. They are good! Montini can play havoc with most defenses rotating those 2 in the game and yes have them both out there. Either could line up in the Wildcat and then audible into an option formation. Defending this would be pure hell.

PC Dad,

The opportunity here is endless. One is very fast and could line up as a WR.

I think the reason they did not experiment more with this last year was due to Fedanzo being a D1 running back.

Why is everyone so focused on enrollment? CG has 1700 students and maybe half that in boys. Of that maybe 150 across all classes know how or choose to play football. Seems to be line with some of the “smaller” private schools that have the same number of kids in the program. I’m not gonna go down the path of saying kids don’t go to privates for the religion but I do think many go for football and the outreach is greater than your normal community high school like CG. What’s my point? I don’t know what the hell my point is but the argument is tiresome.

Well some are saying small schools should be playing in 7a and 8a. You need talent and depth to do well in those classes. For smaller schools the talent of the depth even if you have it can sharply drop off after let's say your best 10 to 18 players or so compared to the huge public school enrollments.

My number from experience states you need at least 400 males in your private school to even begin to think you can compete game after game in the 7a or 8a playoffs. This is the number which may give your team enough quality depth to survive.

CG has 1700 students and maybe half that in boys. Of that maybe 150 across all classes know how or choose to play football.

If someone could please explain to you what PERCENTAGES are and how useful they can be in the hands of the knowledgeable.

Your 150 number is a functional cap for almost any school. You really can't fit much more into a program without anything in excess losing interest and discovering other alternatives to apply themselves.

Getting 150 out of 850 to choose from is A LOT different than getting 150 out of 280.

I swear. Some people might find me condescending (that means I talk down to people.)

If someone could please explain to you what PERCENTAGES are and how useful they can be in the hands of the knowledgeable.

Your 150 number is a functional cap for almost any school. You really can't fit much more into a program without anything in excess losing interest and discovering other alternatives to apply themselves.

Getting 150 out of 850 to choose from is A LOT different than getting 150 out of 280.

I swear. Some people might find me condescending (that means I talk down to people.)
I’m talking the whole program, freshman through senior, as throwing out a guestimate. My point being it’s not different through many schools regardless of enrollment. Unless you’re a 1A. And 150 kids from a 30 mile radius is different than 150 kids from a 5 mile radius. Don’t take things so literal. You’ll give yourself an aneurism.

Last edited:
I don't find you condescending! I had to look at how you spelled that word to get it right. LOL But, you really need to quit using logic in your posts as some people on this board might start referring to you as Professor Speed and be shamed into silence. Not!

I don't find you condescending! I had to look at how you spelled that word to get it right. LOL But, you really need to quit using logic in your posts as some people on this board might start referring to you as Professor Speed and be shamed into silence. Not!
I’ll admit I had a few when I sent that last night so I don’t know my real point. We need fresh topics.

I’m talking the whole program, freshman through senior, as throwing out a guestimate. My point being it’s not different through many schools regardless of enrollment. Unless you’re a 1A. And 150 kids from a 30 mile radius is different than 150 kids from a 5 mile radius. Don’t take things so literal. You’ll give yourself an aneurism.

I know what you were talking about. Who has more than three teams per school nowadays? Not many. You can't carry more than 50 kids on a roster unless it's freshman. And you'll see two teams over 50 typically.

Everybody brings up the 30 mile radius... do the kids scoop up the $12K on their way in to school? Routes paved with loose change?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT