ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant high school football programs of last 10 years in Illinois

I think Max Preps is defining dominance by the dominance they have in their own enrollment class.

Reactions: Gene K.
There are a lot of teams I really don't follow. I'm more of a CCL guy so you will have to help me out. How many state titles does LWE, Estl, IC and Lena Winslow have in their respective classes the last 10 years?

How is it possible that you guys are complaining about that list? They were looking at it objectively as they stated in the article "More on the methodology

Points awarded for:

• Top 25 finishes in the MaxPreps state computer rankings (25 points awarded to the No. 1 team, 24 for No. 2 and so on).

• Top 25 finishes in the MaxPreps national computer rankings (50 points for No. 1, 49 for No. 2 and so on).

• State championships (20 points).

• State championship game appearances (10)."

How is it possible that you guys are complaining about that list? They were looking at it objectively as they stated in the article "More on the methodology

Points awarded for:

• Top 25 finishes in the MaxPreps state computer rankings (25 points awarded to the No. 1 team, 24 for No. 2 and so on).

• Top 25 finishes in the MaxPreps national computer rankings (50 points for No. 1, 49 for No. 2 and so on).

• State championships (20 points).

• State championship game appearances (10)."
That means nothing.

The number of state championships is far less meaningful if the team wins said championship against a playoff slate of schools who compete on a much smaller and less sophisticated level.

Rhymes with Montini.

Reactions: mc140
MC63,

I would say "Success Factor State Championships" have more meaning than "Regular State Championships"

The number of state championships is far less meaningful if the team wins said championship against a playoff slate of schools who compete on a much smaller and less sophisticated level.

Rhymes with Montini.
Here we go again. Smaller class high school championships are just not as good as larger class championships. Poor Montini just doesn't measure up to the powerful Mt. Carmel and others. I'd say that smells like garbage but then again what do I know according to some posters!

Here we go again. Smaller class high school championships are just not as good as larger class championships. Poor Montini just doesn't measure up to the powerful Mt. Carmel and others. I'd say that smells like garbage but then again what do I know according to some posters!
I’m going to stay out of this.......

The ranking should be based on who can give Alabama a run for their money. Or is that Clemson now?

Reactions: CG Fan and Gene K.

No, no, no, Gene.

I never put down small class championships. Not for the small class caliber teams that won them.

My point, as I've repeatedly said, is that small programs (players, budgets, sophistication, etc) should play other such teams in the playoffs -- not Montini, or Mt Carmel, or St Rita, or Loyola Academy, etc.

Last season, Montini severely beat Evergreen Park deep in the playoffs. Montinit's frosh team could have beaten Evergreen Park. Montini's varsity should have been playing in 7A.

I'm tired of hearing about Montini and JCA's numerous state championships. They don't compare to the championships won by most of their regular season opponents.

It's like an MLB team competing for the American Association or PCL trophy.

Reactions: go_rice
No, no, no, Gene.

I never put down small class championships. Not for the small class caliber teams that won them.

My point, as I've repeatedly said, is that small programs (players, budgets, sophistication, etc) should play other such teams in the playoffs -- not Montini, or Mt Carmel, or St Rita, or Loyola Academy, etc.

Last season, Montini severely beat Evergreen Park deep in the playoffs. Montinit's frosh team could have beaten Evergreen Park. Montini's varsity should have been playing in 7A.

I'm tired of hearing about Montini and JCA's numerous state championships. They don't compare to the championships won by most of their regular season opponents.

Do you factor in their enrollment? JCA and Montini have a co-ed enrollment of slightly over 600.

Do you factor in their enrollment? JCA and Montini have a co-ed enrollment of slightly over 600.

Enrollment is not the point ... it's the level of competition the school normally plays in the regular season ... that should dictate their playoff category.

I personally think you need at a minimum 800 to 1,000 natural school coed enrollment level to compete with larger enrollment schools game after game specifically for the sport of football to compete with the very large enrollment schools year after year.

Not that dumb. This was football enrollment for 30 years. Many people thought it worked pretty well.
Also, it’s not the only 300 boys that grew up in the tiny small town & show up to play football, it’s the 300 boys that were recruited to play football from a 30 mile radius. They shouldn’t be playing smaller schools that fit the formerly described category. Evergreen Park as mentioned might have 300 boys in the school who live between 91st-99th & western-Pulaski, they shouldn’t be on the level of Montini or JCA.

Not that dumb. This was football enrollment for 30 years. Many people thought it worked pretty well.
I stand corrected. This comment has dethroned the previous dumbest comment.

Could be most irrelevant too.

Also, it’s not the only 300 boys that grew up in the tiny small town & show up to play football, it’s the 300 boys that were recruited to play football from a 30 mile radius. They shouldn’t be playing smaller schools that fit the formerly described category. Evergreen Park as mentioned might have 300 boys in the school who live between 91st-99th & western-Pulaski, they shouldn’t be on the level of Montini or JCA.
Gee, maybe they should use a multiplier or something?

Reactions: Irish LB
Wasn't EP a #16 seed? If so they were the Loyola of college basketball.

dom·i·nant
adjective
  1. 1.
    most important, powerful, or influential.

I dare say that Rochester is likely the most important or influential. Why? The Rockets are driving the discussion about success factoring public boundaried schools. Maroa, with one title and six runners up, doesn't generate anywhere near as much discussion about success factoring as Rochester with seven titles...

Of course, if powerful is the key, I suppose LWE and Loyola belong on top...

I dare say that Rochester is likely the most important or influential. Why? The Rockets are driving the discussion about success factoring public boundaried schools. Maroa, with one title and six runners up, doesn't generate anywhere near as much discussion about success factoring as Rochester with seven titles...

Of course, if powerful is the key, I suppose LWE and Loyola belong on top...

All.... Well in 4A football they are the undisputed king. The most " important or influential as well as the driving the discussion about success factoring." Ok I suppose. Let's not forget an equal amount of discussion on the Rockets petitioning up to see how really good the program actually stands after all these years. Nope.... Unless their enrollment forces them into 5A. They were close last season and it might happen this season. We will see. Ratsy

Last edited:
In my humble opinion. large private schools should play a national schedule. Then that would make the montini etc point valid.

No, no, no, Gene.

In theory and on principle I agree with you. But classifying schools by enrollment including multipliers is about the only way it can be done unless you have another method you think would work better.

I suppose it might seem unfair for a team to play some regular season games up a class, or two or even three against generally tougher competition, then return to their class once the playoffs start and blow through three or four of their opponents. But, I don't think you can just move them up because they are looking to play a tougher schedule. However, I do understand your point.

I believe some of MC's state championships were not won at the highest classification, correct? So, I have a question for you because you know pretty much everything about that program. In the seasons they won it all under the top classification, did they play any schools that were one or two classes above them during the regular season? If so, why did they do that? And if they did, why did they return to their classification or take the class they were assigned to if it was under the top? When this happened did you complain about it or consider those championships of equal value to the highest class? Or did you go with it? I know you said "the schedule they normally play in the regular season." And I don't know what their schedule was in those years.

Maybe you can enlighten me on this.

Reactions: Mr. Speed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT