ADVERTISEMENT

Metro Suburban Conference thread 2018 ------- Week 4

Cat Box

Sep 23, 2012
Week 4 is upon us – This is a VERY exciting week in the Metro Blue with our first two games – BOTH worthy of “Game of the Week” honors (Mac @ IC, SF @ Wheaton Academy). I went 5-2 last week. Cal Preps went 6-1. Below are the matchups, commentary and picks. Weigh in.

Bishop McNamara (3-0) @ Immaculate Conception (3-0)

Pivotal measuring stick game. How good is B-mac, really? Everyone is picking IC to win but by how much? Match-up between what could be the eventual Class 3A and Class 4A state champs. Expect a very physical game. The health of these teams exiting the game may end up being the storyline. I really like the CapPreps.com score prediction

[2018] Immaculate Conception (Elmhurst, IL) 40, [2018] Bishop McNamara (Kankakee, IL) 21
CatBox pick 40-21

St. Francis (3-0) @ Wheaton Academy (2-1)

Metro Game of the Week – the (private school) battle of Wheaton! Appears these are two equally matched teams. SF rebuild coming along faster than anyone expected. A respectable WA program led by QB Ben Thorson has a quality offense (WA played IC 2 TDs closer than JCA did). Protestants over Catholics in this one. Thorson is the difference.

[2018] St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) 21, [2018] Wheaton Academy (West Chicago, IL) 20
CatBox pick 34-27

Aurora Christian (3-0) @ Riverside-Brookfield (1-2)

Bmac blew out R-B 64-0 last week. Brutal. Not much to see here. AC Sophomore QB Ethan Hampton will pad his impressive stats as he goes into this game with 14 TD and 0 INT. R-B went 8-2 last year. Can anyone speak to what has happened there? AC will rise to 4-0 before the meat grinder of IC, SF, Bmac begins.

[2018] Aurora Christian (Aurora, IL) 42, [2018] Riverside-Brookfield (Riverside, IL) 10
CatBox pick 52-14

Aurora Central (2-1) @ Chicago Christian (3-0)

I haven’t seen Chi Christian to know anything about them other than their 3-0 record is against weak competition. ACC will be their first test. Although ACC is a weak sister in the Blue, I’ll take Charger as they find their way back to .500.

[2018] Aurora Central Catholic (Aurora, IL) 26, [2018] Chicago Christian (Palos Heights, IL) 21
CatBox pick 24-14

Elmwood Park (3-0) @ St. Edwards (0-3)

We’re still not going to know how good EP is after this game, will emerge 4-0 and be an enigma.

[2018] Elmwood Park (IL) 35, [2018] St. Edward (Elgin, IL) 17
CatBox pick 28-7

DePaul Prep (0-3) @ Fenton (1-2)

Prep has scored zero points in 3 games. This week they get on the board but still lose (perhaps badly). Wake me up when this one’s over…Zzzzzzzzz.

[2018] Fenton (Bensenville, IL) 24, [2018] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 13
CatBox pick 34-7

Guerin Prep (2-1) @ Ridgewood (2-1)

Ridgewood should win. Prep finds a way. This is an emotional pick for me. I have too much love for @GuerinPrepFan and want the win for him as payment for his long-suffering. I did the same thing last week, picked Guerin over Chicago Christian 28-27 as my “Feeto Upset Special” but Guerin came up short with a 14-6 loss.

[2018] Ridgewood (Norridge, IL) 22, [2018] Guerin College Prep (River Grove, IL) 14
CatBox pick and “Feeto Upset Special” nomination – Guerin Prep over Ridgewood 14-13

Last edited:
Not good for the Bulldogs. Looks like both area teams (LT and RB) are going to have tough years. Both probably 3-6. Not good when Naz is going to be 9-0.

Not good for the Bulldogs. Looks like both area teams (LT and RB) are going to have tough years. Both probably 3-6. Not good when Naz is going to be 9-0.

I take it you live in the area and follow the local teams. Are you a Naz guy?
What I am trying to understand is how an 8-2 team can be so bad one year later? Did they graduate a large class of senior players? Were there transfers? Suffering injuries? What's happening at R-B?

No, not a Naz guy. They went 8-2 and really didn't play anyone that was good but IC. LT went 7-3 and lost a D1 QB. Sometimes it's hard for a public school to reload, so they rebuild. LT really shouldn't have an excuse. What the LT people need to do is keep the private school people away from the feeder program. Right now they are losing that battle.

Bishop McNamara (3-0) @ Immaculate Conception (3-0)

Pivotal measuring stick game. How good is B-mac, really? Everyone is picking IC to win but by how much? Match-up between what could be the eventual Class 3A and Class 4A state champs.

Too many people fail to realize that McNamara's enrollment for the year is 572.55, which would make it 4A in five of the last six years...4A cutoff was 571 in 2012, 605 in 13, 529 in 14, 548 in 15, 529 in 16, and 549 in 17....

Here's a potentially more interesting scenario: Mac goes 4A and gets sent south...Manteno & Coal City both went south last year...What if this is a preview of the 4A title game, with a Rochester-McNamara semi in the south...And IC at either Morris or Coal City in the north semi...

Too many people fail to realize that McNamara's enrollment for the year is 572.55, which would make it 4A in five of the last six years...4A cutoff was 571 in 2012, 605 in 13, 529 in 14, 548 in 15, 529 in 16, and 549 in 17....

Here's a potentially more interesting scenario: Mac goes 4A and gets sent south...Manteno & Coal City both went south last year...What if this is a preview of the 4A title game, with a Rochester-McNamara semi in the south...And IC at either Morris or Coal City in the north semi...

That is very insightful analysis. Graduate level stuff. This is what makes for great conversation.

I hope Bmac stays 3A and wins a title while IC takes 4A and AC takes 1A. That would be ridiculous if three schools from the same conference won three separate state championships.

Reactions: chirocal44
I take it you live in the area and follow the local teams. Are you a Naz guy?
What I am trying to understand is how an 8-2 team can be so bad one year later? Did they graduate a large class of senior players? Were there transfers? Suffering injuries? What's happening at R-B?
I do know R-B graduated I believe 18 starters from last year.

Juggalos -19
Warriors +1
Bulldogs +32
ACC -5
River Grove HS -18
TECH +9
Holy Cross +8

Also, I'd like to formally extend an invitation to you all to the new conference and can promise that you won't have to face Montini in conference play for at least two years.

Juggalos -19
Warriors +1
Bulldogs +32
ACC -5
River Grove HS -18
TECH +9
Holy Cross +8

Also, I'd like to formally extend an invitation to you all to the new conference and can promise that you won't have to face Montini in conference play for at least two years.
I’d love for SF to join.........

Juggalos -19
Warriors +1
Bulldogs +32
ACC -5
River Grove HS -18
TECH +9
Holy Cross +8

Ignazio - I've never understood the +/- picks the way you have them above. When you say "+32 Bulldogs", does that mean you believe the Bulldogs will win by 32? When you have ACC -5 does that mean you believe ACC will lose by 5? Please clarify how this works for me.

What did I miss? New conference?

Ignazio - I've never understood the +/- picks the way you have them above. When you say "+32 Bulldogs", does that mean you believe the Bulldogs will win by 32? When you have ACC -5 does that mean you believe ACC will lose by 5? Please clarify how this works for me.

He's taking the "catbox pick" score from the top of the thread, and treating the score differential as a "spread" or betting line...so Bulldogs +32 means he picks the Bulldogs to cover the spread i.e. lose by less than 32, ACC -5 he is saying ACC will cover the spread, and win by more than 5. + means team is getting points, or picked to lose, - means team is giving points, or picked to win.

Reactions: Cat Box
He's taking the "catbox pick" score from the top of the thread, and treating the score differential as a "spread" or betting line...so Bulldogs +32 means he picks the Bulldogs to cover the spread i.e. lose by less than 32, ACC -5 he is saying ACC will cover the spread, and win by more than 5. + means team is getting points, or picked to lose, - means team is giving points, or picked to win.

Great explanation. I finally understand. Thank you!

ICCP over BM: I don't think this is going to be a close game, but can BM hang for a half?

St. Francis over Wheaton Academy: It wasn't that long ago that I saw threads on SF and their flailing program. Now they are 3-0 and they are trending up. I always like a team with a good QB, but SF just seems to have some good mo right now. This game will be won late in the 4th

Aurora Christian over Riverside-Brookfield

AC is good. R-B is down. AC gets the important 4th W with ease this week.

ACC over Chicago Christian: CC has a nice 3-0 record but they have played teams that would struggle to beat big school freshman teams. I'm taking ACC in a 2 score victory

Elmwood Park over St. Edwards

I'm not necessarily impressed with 2 of EP's wins, but the thumping they put on their arch rival Ridgewood was impressive. They roll Eddie with ease to go to 4-0

Fenton over DP: As I stated in the CCL post, Fenton has a win. DP doesn't have a point. Bison by 3 scores

Ridgewood over Guerin: This is a KEY game for both squads playoff dreams. I want to pick Guerin as they have been a nice story here in the early going, but Ridgewood has a little bit more experience in winning among their kids and coaches. Ridgewood by 2 scores

Reactions: Cat Box
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT