ADVERTISEMENT

MC vs SR Breakdown

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Please God don’t let this thread go South, that was weird last night! 😀

QB- Advantage MC. Dowling is returning, and when MC has a returning QB, things normally go very well. His stock went up every game last year and I’m betting that trend continues. I’m sure SR QB has talent but making his first Varsity start at Barda Dowling is a tough task.

RBs- Slight advantage MC- Its rare that Dupree and Manning will ever be marked as a “slight” advantage over the other teams RBs but when your going up against SRs Middleton and Stewart, a slight advantage is all you get. 4 very talented backs, but Dupree is a 4 star so MC takes the nod.

WRs- Advantage MC- MC returns all their WRs from last season, led by Denny Furlong. Jaden Bossie is banged up I’m told but Mo Davis is basically the same player. MC is very deep in this category, not sure who SR has.

OL- Even- Both teams return a ton of Big guys. MC returns 4 starters from last season led by Kansas State recruit Asher Tomaszwski. SR has 3 big guys back.

TE- Advantage SR- Vrdolyak is getting D1 looks. Daniel Taylor is a sophomore making his first start but was a man among boys on the Freshman level last year, he will be a D1 talent.

DL/DE- Even- Pat Farrell is signed at Illinois and is a stud, but MC returns all three starters on the DL and Asher plays DL too. Watch for MCs Bobby Medina and Tavon Rice to have big years

MLB- Slight SR- Like I said about the RBs it’s rare that the brothers Kingsbury aren’t the the solid choice in this category but MC returns Parker Startz who had D1 offers and Nick Nauokis who started every game at MLB last season for MC and is a great talents. But the Kingsburys get the ever so slight nod.

OLB- advantage MC- Danny Novikas is a D1 freight train coming off that edge. Dammarion Arrington is a great talent on the other side.

DBs- Even- I personally think MC may have the advantage here but they will have a few players coming off 2021 injuries (John Brown, Nolan OB) that I’ll need to see how they do. But Johnny Schmidt for SR is a ball hawk and MCs Owen Schickel is a hitting machine at Safety, so I’ll call it even based on them. Charles Miles for MC is a very new transfer that I’m sure will play more as the season goes on and he learns the D.

K- Advantage Rita. MC returns their kicker but Rita Talty is going to Bama, so they get this flat out!

Final score prediction- MC 24- SR- 17

Last edited:
Nice write up.

St. Rita’s path to victory is like many 2 TD underdogs. On O, First downs, no turnovers, flip the field with Talty punts, On D, live to see another down by limiting big plays, account for QB on run reads, create turnovers. Try to get the game into the 4th quarter. If the above doesn’t happen, it could get sideways quick with the talent on MC.

I think the biggest question here is whether or not Lynch can humble his team enough so to avoid the pre-season hype from getting in their heads?

Reactions: McCaravan
It is insane how many starters MC has back this year. Such an advantage from a leadership and maturity aspect.

Last edited:
It is insane how many starters MC has back this year. Such an advantage to have returning seniors from a leadership and maturity aspect.
I think the last years team only had 15 seniors on the roster with only 2 of them (Boersma and JT Harris) playing full time. Several rotated in on different packages...Joey Thompson missed significant time with an injury that I don’t think he ever fully recovered from but played through it. But they went young with juniors and sophomores all season.

McCaravan:

I'd like to articulate this as delicately as possible in light of your sterling effort breaking down tomorrow's clash.

The intangible absent from your analysis is the mental edge Saint Rita has by virtue of Todd Kuska's final appearance as the Mustang's coach. I am fairly confident this factor will be a powerful motivator for Saint Rita's players.

McCaravan:

I'd like to articulate this as delicately as possible in light of your sterling effort breaking down tomorrow's clash.

The intangible absent from your analysis is the mental edge Saint Rita has by virtue of Todd Kuska's final appearance as the Mustang's coach. I am fairly confident this factor will be a powerful motivator for Saint Rita's players.
It will.....but MC lost their beloved team statistician this past Saturday, Jim Morrisey, to a heart attack. He been a fixture on their sidelines the past 3 decades, so they have internal motivation as well. To be honest, just like the revenge factor, it plays a part until the kick off, then you have to play the game. Game like this you have all the motivation you need. Should be a great game!!

Kuska was on that 89 team that beat a phenomenal MC team at Gately. If he orchestrates an upset of this dynamite MC team on the road, it will be one of his greatest coaching moments.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT