ADVERTISEMENT

MC @ SCN 7A Semi-Final

No I have not scene SCN play. It just seems to me that in the far western burbs, the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality pervades. And last I checked, that doesn’t fly in the IHSA semi-finals. I’m interested to see how good Tyler Nubin is. Being compared to Boykin and Smalling is no small praise!
I would disagree that that is the mentality out west... St. Charles North and Batavia are tough physical elite caliber teams this season. Also, no bias just my honest opinion, i've been around and close to HS football since the Driscoll vs Montini SCC games.. Nubin is one of the best athletes i've ever seen. It's not even just his athletic ability, he does so much of everything he completely takes over the game start to finish.. I can't wait to see this matchup, should be a great one to watch!

Nubin is legit as you'll find in Illinois. It's hard to compare anyone to Megatron, but Nubin will be on offense and defense. I don't know what his offer sheet was like for those who judge football by that metric, but Minn got a steal.

So Mount Carmel is going to win because the youth sports at the park districts and private elementary schools in the city don't give out participation trophies? Is that what you have SCENE?
I grew up the south side and have lived in the fox valley for 2 years. So yes, that is what I’ve “SCENE.” Maybe it’s a generational thing I don’t know. But if Nubins as good as smalling/Boykin then no, SCN wins big

Reactions: McCaravan
I’ve read so far in this post that “SNC is not great at anything but good at everything”. Well if they have a player drawing comparisons to Boykin, Smallings and as good as anyone in Illinois I’d say he’s pretty great!!

I grew up the south side and have lived in the fox valley for 2 years. So yes, that is what I’ve “SCENE.” Maybe it’s a generational thing I don’t know. But if Nubins as good as smalling/Boykin then no, SCN wins big

I grew up in the city too and have lived in the far West Suburbs longer than you. These kids grow up playing high level organized tackle football at a young age. There are very few programs in the city that can match up with the youth programs in this area. They are plenty tough. You can point to all kinds of results over the years that prove you wrong.

Is it just the fox valley where you perceive that softness and “everyone gets a trophy” mentality to reside,.... or are you including the rest of the western suburbs in there as well such as Napervile, Aurora, Lisle, Downers Grove, etc etc?

Just want to see if I should be offended or not!;)

Nubin is a top 10 Recruit in Illinois with multiple offers . Signed early with Minnesota, but was offered by UCLA, Oregon, and Michigan.

He is real good offensive player who can take over the game as a running back, receiver, or in wildcat. He is an exceptional corner who plays discipline football.

Reactions: Fbfan14
Nubin is a top 10 Recruit in Illinois with multiple offers . Signed early with Minnesota, but was offered by UCLA, Oregon, and Michigan.

He is real good offensive player who can take over the game as a running back, receiver, or in wildcat. He is an exceptional corner who plays discipline football.
Michigan State, University of Tennessee, University of Kentucky are a few notable ones as well!

I grew up in the city too and have lived in the far West Suburbs longer than you. These kids grow up playing high level organized tackle football at a young age. There are very few programs in the city that can match up with the youth programs in this area. They are plenty tough. You can point to all kinds of results over the years that prove you wrong.
If you’ve been here longer than I have than your aware MC was winning state titles before the blue prints for SCN were drawn up. As physical as SCN May be, I like the Caravan by 2 scores. They seem to have hit their stride. If SCN wins, I’ll treat you to Guinness at McNallys in downtown St. Charles. Enjoy the game

The player sounds legit. I just love this MC defense. I’ve been paying attention to MC football since the early 80’s and this defense is in my top 5. They just fly to the ball and hit like trucks. I’ve said many times before on this site, Frank Lenti was the voice of the team, but Dave Lenti is the brains. He’s seen every type of player and formation you can think of in his 30 years running the defense, he’ll have a plan for Nubin, they’ll just need to execute it, and from what I’ve seen from this defense they will. Of course we’re dealing with teenagers, anything can happen. Weather is supposed to be bad. I’ll take MC in this game. Best of luck to all playing. Hope the refs let them play

Without Dave lenti ,I believe they would had a few more loses,that's how important this coach is.

Reactions: sivada2001
If you’ve been here longer than I have than your aware MC was winning state titles before the blue prints for SCN were drawn up. As physical as SCN May be, I like the Caravan by 2 scores. They seem to have hit their stride. If SCN wins, I’ll treat you to Guinness at McNallys in downtown St. Charles. Enjoy the game

I believe the weather will contribute more to Mount Carmel’s victory than toughness. I never predicted an SCN victory. Just defending the toughness of the far west suburban players. I am sure the SCN kids appreciate your bulletin board material though...

North hasn’t been the favorite their last 3 games and wasn’t supposed to be playing Saturday

Good thing MC moved away from the veer. St. Charles North's defensive coordinator was pretty adept at limiting it in the past.

MC is a very good team. I’m just saying Nubin is a very special player and if MC wins it will be because they played a better game on Saturday.

I agree MC is physical, always are but again SCN will not be afraid and has played many physical teams.

Every game is its own identity and we will see.
MC was awesome last week but not so awesome against LZ, but they found a way to win.

Let’s the kids play and good luck to all the teams playing this weekend.

If SCN wins said:
Real big of you... no one knows who you are!

Please give us your name and cell number. I hate to think of Carmel losing, but if they do, I'll go to McNally's and get me a freebie

SCN fans, how does the 2018 team compare to the 2017 in size and the offense scheme they are running? how are they at stopping the run compared to last year.

Last edited:
SCN fans, how does the 2018 team compare to the 2017 in size and the offense scheme they are running? how are they at stopping the run compared to last year.

They returned something like 17 starters so I’m sure everything is improved.

One advantage I’ll give MC. 300, 295, 290, 270. Those are the weights of 4 of their linemen

Reactions: Gene K.
I've seen both teams play multiple times. A few thoughts

- SCN a bit better in skills position, especially at receiver
- MC better with line play
- MC is much better coach

Key to game will be a couple things

1) How was SCN react to the moment? History is not on their side here
2) The play of SCN QB Kyler Brown. First year starting and he has had massive improvement since the beginning of the year.

I can see one of two things happening.

1) SCN makes a few early turnovers/bad decisions/penalties and it gets out of control early
2) A close game played in the twenties which comes down to a late possession.

Personally, I think the first scenario occurs, though I think the talent differential between the teams in minimal

Reactions: pjjp
The player sounds legit. I just love this MC defense. I’ve been paying attention to MC football since the early 80’s and this defense is in my top 5. They just fly to the ball and hit like trucks. I’ve said many times before on this site, Frank Lenti was the voice of the team, but Dave Lenti is the brains. He’s seen every type of player and formation you can think of in his 30 years running the defense, he’ll have a plan for Nubin, they’ll just need to execute it, and from what I’ve seen from this defense they will. Of course we’re dealing with teenagers, anything can happen. Weather is supposed to be bad. I’ll take MC in this game. Best of luck to all playing. Hope the refs let them play

Just going 2000 and beyond, I put them at #3 behind the '12 and '13 defenses.

Reactions: spr8484
Returning 18 starters from last year so a very similar team just a little better at everything from a year ago. Defense has improved and really been a great quality of this team.. Offense is a heavy spread RPO attack with a good amount of Nubin at QB wildcat ... Expect Nubin to get a hefty workload not only at QB but RB, slot, WR... SCN loves feeding him the ball in space any way possible.

I'm curious if north had previously played ESL and the caravan had played WWS what would the board be saying? or if the caravan just played LZ?

I'm curious if north had previously played ESL and the caravan had played WWS what would the board be saying? or if the caravan just played LZ?

You wonder what the board would be saying about ESL game?

3 of those lineman play both ways and they are big, but speed kills and SCN D-line
has a very athletic D-Line. If SCN can't stop the run, then they will get beat.

SCN staff is loaded with good coaches.

1. DC was Maine South for years won many titles.
2. OC was at Loyola and Palatine
3. O-Line was at Prospect when they beat MC in 2005 (is considered the best O-Line coach in the North West Suburbs)
4. D-Line coach was at Driscoll
5. DB Coach was a DC at Meadows and Conant, plus was the OC at LZ

The head coach has done a great job building this program.

You would probably be favored. ESL was a Son of a.....MC should have beat LZ 28-14, Rad had a God awful game but played outstanding vs. ESL

No im wondering if a lot of the publications, predictions and views is based upon the prior opponents of these teams. For that matter even Batavia who played an undefeated Willowbrook while Nazareth played Simeon. I saw a note here Nubin well ESL had 12 division 1 players

3 of those lineman play both ways and they are big, but speed kills and SCN D-line
has a very athletic D-Line. If SCN can't stop the run, then they will get beat.

SCN staff is loaded with good coaches.

1. DC was Maine South for years won many titles.
2. OC was at Loyola and Palatine
3. O-Line was at Prospect when they beat MC in 2005 (is considered the best O-Line coach in the North West Suburbs)
4. D-Line coach was at Driscoll
5. DB Coach was a DC at Meadows and Conant, plus was the OC at LZ

The head coach has done a great job building this program.
I have no doubt that the OL coach is a very good coach, but I'm curious to see how you came up with the OL coach being considered the best OL coach in the Northwest Suburbs, and I'm curious how far the Northwest Suburbs covers, because there have been some big time linemen come out of the McHenry County area, and one coach has had a part in coaching a large handful of them.

I guess I just have a tough time hearing claims like that sometimes because there aren't any credible publications (at least that I know of) that give out those kind of acknowledgements/awards.

MC is a great team, I just don’t get why people have to rip the other team and coaching staff when they have never seen them play or know who they are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT