ADVERTISEMENT

MC’s Ben Perry elects to enroll early

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Ben Perry, Louisville commit from MC, is going to transfer to Hillcrest so he can complete his educational requirements the first semester and enroll at Louisville in January. This was immediately expected by everyone at MC as soon as the Spring announcement came out. Best of luck Ben!

Best of luck to him, he was an outstanding player for MC last season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some more kids take this route statewide. The ability to get on campus and enroll early provides kids with a chance to get a jumpstart on their core college requirements as well as football training. With no football in the fall this was a no brainer.

Reactions: McCaravan
Best of luck to him, he was an outstanding player for MC last season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some more kids take this route statewide. The ability to get on campus and enroll early provides kids with a chance to get a jumpstart on their core college requirements as well as football training. With no football in the fall this was a no brainer.
I think he didn’t announce immediately because he was making sure Louisville wasn’t going to a Spring season themselves. Wasting an eligibility year or redshirt on a Spring season isn’t worth it. Plus I think Louisville has him in their immediate plans. Big time players like him I get it.

Reactions: caravan8
While in the Air Force (in late 1969), I was a substitute teacher at Evergreen Park HS (to make some spending $ while on leave).

At that time, I spoke with a school administrator who told me that if I had transferred from MC to EP after my junior year, I could have finished high school during the summer simply by getting a credit in American history.

While I love Mt Carmel, it would have been very tempting to start college a year early.

Reactions: Gene K.
I'm sorry to hear that about Ben Perry. Team, brother, team. Plus, there's no need to hurry anywhere. The world will get worse before it gets better.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that about Ben Perry. Team, brother, team. Plus, there's no need to hurry anywhere. The world will get worse before it gets better.
Think about it from his family standpoint...
He has the ability to graduate in December (something he cannot do at MC) and begin taking classes in January at Louisville. Since he will be on scholarship he is basically giving himself an extra free semester of school, at a time when many people are wondering about their financial futures. The extra semester also sets him up to either A) graduate from college early or B) be much more flexible with his scheduling in the future when Louisville is in season.
Like I said earlier, this was a no brainer

Had there been a normal fall season Ben would have stayed at MC and played his senior year and graduated in May, especially with the team they have coming back. He was part of all the pre-season camps and workouts. I think if Louisville cancelled the fall season he also would have stayed at MC and played this spring. But with fall cancelled here, no guarantee of Spring, and probably no State Title to play for if they do have Spring, he made the choice I think many more going to big time D1 programs will make.

I really wish Catholic schools would allow the early graduation though, even if it’s just for this year under the circumstances. With Hillcrest on remote learning he won’t even set foot in a classroom their for his 3 months but his diploma will say Hillcrest and should say MC.

Had there been a normal fall season Ben would have stayed at MC and played his senior year and graduated in May, especially with the team they have coming back. He was part of all the pre-season camps and workouts. I think if Louisville cancelled the fall season he also would have stayed at MC and played this spring. But with fall cancelled here, no guarantee of Spring, and probably no State Title to play for if they do have Spring, he made the choice I think many more going to big time D1 programs will make.

I really wish Catholic schools would allow the early graduation though, even if it’s just for this year under the circumstances. With Hillcrest on remote learning he won’t even set foot in a classroom their for his 3 months but his diploma will say Hillcrest and should say MC.

There are Pro's and Cons to either side however people have to make the best decision for themselves. As a parent I would have a hard time accepting a diploma from another school considering the amount of money and time the family put into MC. I wish the kid a great deal of success.

On another note, after having kids go early, I don't think its a no brainer nor do I think it is worth it. Enjoy High School as long as you can as the college job is a different level. For kids that live in high crime areas where it's a matter of life and death, leave as soon as you can.

Last edited:
There are Pro's and Cons to either side however people have to make the best decision for themselves. As a parent I would have a hard time accepting a diploma from another school considering the amount of money and time the family put into MC. I wish the kid a great deal of success.

On another note, after have a few kids go early, I don't think its a no brainer nor do I think it is worth it. Enjoy High School as long as you can as the college job is a different level. For kids that live in high crime areas where it's a matter of life and death, leave as soon as you can.
You’re very right, these kids and families are so tunnel visioned on the immediate future that they aren’t thinking that he won’t go down as a MC alum after three years of hard work. Like I mentioned this wasn’t his initial plan, he would have stayed, He’s from a good family and I know they talked to Louisville about the plans for him and if this would benefit him before he made the move, but would have been nice to see him graduate with the class he started with. I think it’s something he will regret down the road.

Reactions: Gene K.
I just don’t like kids missing their senior season.

The chances are very unlikely that a kid will play as a true freshman at the D1 level (heck, any college level).

It’s up to the kid and family, but from my point of a view....odds are in the favor of the kid regretting the decision bc he’s red shirting and now realizes it wasn’t worth it to miss his senior season.

My opinion is irrelevant - hope he proves me wrong.

I just don’t like kids missing their senior season.

The chances are very unlikely that a kid will play as a true freshman at the D1 level (heck, any college level).

It’s up to the kid and family, but from my point of a view....odds are in the favor of the kid regretting the decision bc he’s red shirting and now realizes it wasn’t worth it to miss his senior season.

My opinion is irrelevant - hope he proves me wrong.

But he is not missing his senior season.

Why should Catholic schools change their graduation requirements? The student knew the requirements when he enrolled. Looks like he needs more credits to graduate from MC than Hillcrest. Why change it for the 1 in 5,000 who wants to go to college early?

Why should Catholic schools change their graduation requirements? The student knew the requirements when he enrolled. Looks like he needs more credits to graduate from MC than Hillcrest. Why change it for the 1 in 5,000 who wants to go to college early?
Because I see it becoming a trend. Also if these kids have met the state requirements of needed credits , outside a semester of Religion which is a Catholic school requirement, I don’t see the harm in it. Just my opinion, I see both ways

Because I see it becoming a trend. Also if these kids have met the state requirements of needed credits , outside a semester of Religion which is a Catholic school requirement, I don’t see the harm in it. Just my opinion, I see both ways
They waive that requirement when a transfer comes in so why not to graduate early ? $$$$$?

When you say more credits you're referring to the 4 years of Theology that don't count for NCAA eligibility.

Compare what Illinois requires to graduate and what MC and Ignatius require. Much more than just 4 years of Theology

Illinois - https://c0arw235.caspio.com/dp/b7f930000e16e10a822c47b3baa2

Mount Carmel - non-Honors https://www.mchs.org/academics/coursesrequirements/foundations-curriculum

Ignatius - https://ignatius.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/1309/download/download_3574421.pdf

Reactions: USD24
Naz lost another today. I think that's 10 starters from last years team. Hopefully everyone makes the "playoffs" this spring.

Last edited:
I never understood why Catholic HSs don't allow early Graduation for the 0.5% (1 player every 1-2 years)
4 years of religion? Take 2 classes your Fall Senior year(one as an elective).
An English summer school class. Now you can still be an alum.

Not sure why it’s easier. Do you mind elaborating?
I think it’s an easier decision this year because fall football has already been cancelled, there is no guarantee of Spring football and if private schools end up going remote learning, you are possibly paying thousands of dollars for online learning and you will not get the experiences of a normal senior year. Add in getting started with your college academic requirements early (on someone else’s dime) and I think this year it’s probably an easier decision for some kids and their parents.

Naz lost another today. I think that's 10 starters from last years team. Hopefully everyone makes the "playoffs" this spring.
Can I ask how do parents just up and move like that? Jobs? Homes? Do they have family that their kid is living with?

I never understood why Catholic HSs don't allow early Graduation for the 0.5% (1 player every 1-2 years)
4 years of religion? Take 2 classes your Fall Senior year(one as an elective).
An English summer school class. Now you can still be an alum.
Normally not a lot of options for religion classes at Catholic schools. Everybody normally takes the same ones each year. Check MC
Also you need 4 years of math - and you need the certain ones.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
We had only one year of theology, freshman year. The class was taught by the principle, Fr. Thaddeus O'Brien, who subsequently left the church and married. He had a lot of influence on my thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: PML and Gene K.
Normally not a lot of options for religion classes at Catholic schools. Everybody normally takes the same ones each year. Check MC
Also you need 4 years of math - and you need the certain ones.

Not true, for Theology Classes as a Senior:
Examples: Mt. Carmel has 5 class options in SR year, Marian Catholic has 8 options
Take 2 semester religion classes in first semester.

4 years of math: Take an On-line JUCO or HS semester math class that aligns with the curriculum or in the summer.

Catholic schools allow students to test out of certain classes to take other classes, why not let a kid take a summer math class to count?

Here is an example of a day as a D1 football player. Again, why is it so important to start this schedule early?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT