ADVERTISEMENT

Marist vs. Loyola

Football-7-on-7-281-July-10-2015.jpg

Would he notice anything about these shirts at Neuqua Valley?

I'm guessing he wouldn't talk about it - he would DO IT!

I hope that's on the next ACT test as well.

LA is a great school academically, but Iggy is better. My Dad went to Iggy in the 50's and jokes that they use to call the plays in the huddle in Latin.
And Iggy graduated Todd Stroger? Yea there a lot of bright kids at Iggy but if your connected you can be a cement head and still graduate from there.
images

I heard the plays were called in pig latin.

Reactions: CCLGUY1964
Or Fenwick too.

I guess I should have qualified my prior statement a bit about LA's competition for talent. Did not mean to upset anyone and certainly not the Dons of ND. Great program, tough kids, tough place to play on the road. Know that firsthand. It was my opinion really just based on many conversations over the years with LA alum & dads of LA players and also knowing LA annually turns away over 150+ (maybe more?) boy test takers who want to attend. That's pretty unique these days (second maybe only to Iggy). Marist, Rice, MC, Rita, Laurence are not turning anyone away, based on numbers.

Or Fenwick too.

I guess I should have qualified my prior statement a bit about LA's competition for talent. Did not mean to upset anyone and certainly not the Dons of ND. Great program, tough kids, tough place to play on the road. Know that firsthand. It was my opinion really just based on many conversations over the years with LA alum & dads of LA players and also knowing LA annually turns away over 150+ (maybe more?) boy test takers who want to attend. That's pretty unique these days (second maybe only to Iggy). Marist, Rice, MC, Rita, Laurence are not turning anyone away, based on numbers.

I think your wrong. Maybe one of the Rita guys can chime in but I think they turned away about 60-65 this year? Also Marist has turned away boys in that they limit the incoming class to 50/50 boy/girl.

University of Michigan and Robert Morris plus the Wisconsin/Upper Peninsula were ment to be jokes as was the DLS to Wisconsin the other guy poster posted I presume. Save the bullets for next week if a couple of teams win that have a history of obnoxious posting. You do the serious posting I'll do the less serious stuff. Good luck Saturday.

Thanks.

I like a good joke as much as the next guy. What frosts me a bit (okay, more than a bit) is the attempt, lighthearted or otherwise, to paint Loyola as having no competition for top talent student athletes. That simply isn't happening.

If it were happening, you would see far more LA players going on to play big time college ball. Right now, I think that Jake Marwede at Duke is probably as close as any Rambler comes to big time college ball, and I don't think anyone mistakes Duke for a football factory. BTW, Tommy Herrion, last year's QB at Loyola, started this year as a walk on at Iowa and he just announced he is transferring to New Hampshire at the semester.

I seriously think the last Loyola player to go pro was Dave Finzer (LA '78) who punted for the Chicago Bears (good old #15) and Seahawks for two seasons. Even then, Finzer came to the Bears out of D III DePauw. The ONLY other LA player in my lifetime who I saw play in the NFL was Tim Foley (LA '66).

Last edited:
Thanks.

I like a good joke as much as the next guy. What frosts me a bit (okay, more than a bit) is the attempt to paint Loyola as having no competition for top talent student athletes. That simply isn't happening.

If it were happening, you would see far more LA players going on to play big time college ball. Right now, I think that Jake Marwede at Duke is probably as close as any Rambler comes to big time college ball, and I don't think anyone mistakes Duke for a football factory. BTW, Tommy Herrion, last year's QB at Loyola, started this year as a walk on at Iowa and he just announced he is transferring to New Hampshire at the semester.

I seriously think the last Loyola player to go pro was Dave Finzer (LA '78) who punted for the Chicago Bears (good old #15) and Seahawks for two seasons. Even then, Finzer came to the Bears out of D III DePauw. The ONLY other LA player in my lifetime who I saw play in the NFL was Tim Foley (LA '66).

Total facts on the above. Loyola graduates more business and entertainment alums than athletes. RMan - If you're attending the game this Sat, can you post the action. It'll be the first one I miss this year. Attending a colleagues retirement party.

I have a friend who sends his kids to St. Barb's in Bridgeport. Like many closer-in Catholic elementary schools, they have larger numbers in the younger grades and tend to thin out a bit as they progress.

A couple years ago, they organized some sports and social activities for the upper grades with Old St. Mary's School in the upscale South Loop. Everyone felt that there would be more opportunity for all the kids involved and the schools shared like values.

When it came time to organize the next season for sports. One parent at Old St. Mary's led the opposition, saying that the kids from Bridgeport weren't the class of people with their kids should be associating.

The parent?

Todd Stroger, Jr.

Last edited:
Total facts on the above. Loyola graduates more business and entertainment alums than athletes. RMan - If you're attending the game this Sat, can you post the action. It'll be the first one I miss this year. Attending a colleagues retirement party.

Hoping to make it down to Red & White Stadium for the game. I'd say it's 50/50 at this point.

Hey, Marist fans...is Randy Coe still the PA announcer? Always liked his style.

Reactions: Gforce5
Your wrong on Marist. And maybe right on Rita, at least for this year.

I don’t know what Marist is doing today but they have turned boys away in the past. The first year they when coed some boys from my son’s eight grade class were not accepted. They were not legacies but were bright kids. Pretty traumatic. Most of them went to BR and did well there. The next year my niece went to Marist and I know that they turned boys away again. I think some families figured out after that maybe they would just test somewhere else. So maybe they don’t have to do that anymore. The girls teams there have excelled. Every girl that graduated with my niece played division 1 volleyball. But her brother also a Marist grad will never for give the school for going coed and changing the mascot.

St. Rita did look at the transcripts for the last three years of grade school along with the entrance test this year. They were looking at a success factor admission. Some kids did not get acceptance letters. But I was at the school yesterday. There were about 40 freshmen in the McCarthy Center eating lunch before the alums took over the room. They looked like they were all having a ball and have acclimated well to high school life. It was inspiring to see the kids talk to all of the older guys who are veterans and thank them for their service. Saturday is Veterans day. Thank them for their service.

Speaking from a Marist's grads point of view I have never heard from any of the other Marist grads I know of not being able to forgive them going coed or changing the mascot from redskins to RedHawks. As a matter of fact I think going coed was a great move wish they did it while I was there lol. In all seriousness it was an extremely intelligent move at that time and in my opinion has really benefited the school. And man has this thread really veered from the original topic lol

Speaking from a Marist's grads point of view I have never heard from any of the other Marist grads I know of not being able to forgive them going coed or changing the mascot from redskins to RedHawks. As a matter of fact I think going coed was a great move wish they did it while I was there lol. In all seriousness it was an extremely intelligent move at that time and in my opinion has really benefited the school. And man has this thread really veered from the original topic lol

I'll get the thread back on topic. Two posts in eight years so I'll be gentle. Does Marist cover the spread Saturday. How would you bet?

I'll get the thread back on topic. Two posts in eight years so I'll be gentle. Does Marist cover the spread Saturday. How would you bet?

Good to see flcowboy09 chiming in. Although he used to post with far more frequency, I have no idea why his profile says that he only has two.

Thanks.

I like a good joke as much as the next guy. What frosts me a bit (okay, more than a bit) is the attempt, lighthearted or otherwise, to paint Loyola as having no competition for top talent student athletes. That simply isn't happening.

This is the thing that impresses me the most about the LA program that Holocek has built. The only other high major guy besides Marwede I can think of was Chance Carter that went to Northwestern. They lack the high end D1 talent that many of the successful programs churn out but just find tough, athletic kids that fit what they are doing. I think that helps them sustain their dominance because they don't have these huge holes to fill when these type of kids graduate. They lose their talented seniors and just plug in the next wave of kids and never miss a beat.

Reactions: ramblinman and pjjp
This is the thing that impresses me the most about the LA program that Holocek has built. The only other high major guy besides Marwede I can think of was Chance Carter that went to Northwestern. They lack the high end D1 talent that many of the successful programs churn out but just find tough, athletic kids that fit what they are doing. I think that helps them sustain their dominance because they don't have these huge holes to fill when these type of kids graduate. They lose their talented seniors and just plug in the next wave of kids and never miss a beat.
It's all about LA's nutrition program!

Must be nice. Too bad for those other schools who can't recruit to their system!

Reactions: PRokie
Must be nice. Too bad for those other schools who can't recruit to their system!

It must really suck for public schools to enroll, by default, between 90%-100% of the high school aged kids in your districts year in and year out. Such a disadvantage, right?

Reactions: WP606 and Bowie50
It must really suck for public schools to enroll, by default, between 90%-100% of the high school aged kids in your districts year in and year out. Such a disadvantage, right?
Yeah but its not like that 10% not enrolling are non-athletic academically challenged kids. Usually if you are losing 10% its either good athletes and/or good academic students. There is a difference between "getting who you get" and "going out to get".
Now, don't get me wrong, I know its challenging for private schools to recruit most of their students, especially the athletes. Asking parents to pay thousands for something that most get for free or very close to free is not easy. that's why there are the "haves" and "have-nots" of private schools. Especially in football.

As a matter of fact I think going coed was a great move wish they did it while I was there lol. In all seriousness it was an extremely intelligent move at that time and in my opinion has really benefited the school. lol
I don’t know that this was “an intelligent move as much as a major surgical procedure to avoid impending death. I think the school was at death’s door. Good to hear from ya again flcowboy.

I don’t know that this was “an intelligent move as much as a major surgical procedure to avoid impending death. I think the school was at death’s door. Good to hear from ya again flcowboy.

There was around 1200 boys in the school at the time they went co-ed so they were hardly at death's door.

Reactions: Cmon Now and USD24

What a clown. And you wonder why people can't stand Rice fans. You talk so much trash for someone whose program went 2-7, LOST to Marist, and couldn't even find the energy to play in the prep bowl. You argued with me in an earlier thread that you didn't consider Marist your rival. Well it's good to see that they obviously occupy a LOT of real estate in your head. The only thing "at death's door" is Rice's football program.

There are way more girls than boys in the current pool of students on the south side. Plain and simple. Some schools are benefiting from the trend, and others are drowning. As stated above- "intelligent move". I'd say go back to your day job with the rest of the maroon faithful, but it seems like you have a lot of time on your hands... Stay hot.

Reactions: flcowboy09
What a clown. And you wonder why people can't stand Rice fans. You talk so much trash for someone whose program went 2-7, LOST to Marist, and couldn't even find the energy to play in the prep bowl. You argued with me in an earlier thread that you didn't consider Marist your rival. Well it's good to see that they obviously occupy a LOT of real estate in your head. The only thing "at death's door" is Rice's football program.

There are way more girls than boys in the current pool of students on the south side. Plain and simple. Some schools are benefiting from the trend, and others are drowning. As stated above- "intelligent move". I'd say go back to your day job with the rest of the maroon faithful, but it seems like you have a lot of time on your hands... Stay hot.
Rice brings back a ton next year and will be pretty darn good. They were young this year.

Silly question on my part, if that's so, what was the rational to go coed?
I don't know all the ins and outs of the decision I just think they saw the trends for enrollment were going in the wrong direction and there was an opportunity to solidify the enrollment by going coed before things got tough. As you can see with the declining numbers of enrollment over the years at the other schools in the area it seems like the right choice was made.

Rice brings back a ton next year and will be pretty darn good. They were young this year.

Agreed. I expected a better year than 2-7 but they have loads of talent in the building and should be pretty tough next year. Not to rehash the Prep Bowl argument but that is why I would have loved to see them keep playing. Give all that young talent some more seasoning for next year.

Agreed. I expected a better year than 2-7 but they have loads of talent in the building and should be pretty tough next year. Not to rehash the Prep Bowl argument but that is why I would have loved to see them keep playing. Give all that young talent some more seasoning for next year.
I'm an LA guy, so I hope they stink in perpetuity. ;)

Hey don’t be upset that your boy said the one thing Loyola does well is illegal for just about everybody else. Congrats on starting at third base!

There was around 1200 boys in the school at the time they went co-ed so they were hardly at death's door.

According to the IHSA, Rice has 732 boys. If Marist was at death's door with 1200 boys, what does that make Rice with 732?

Hey don’t be upset that your boy said they best thing Loyola does is illegal for just about everybody else. Congrats on starting at third base!

My boy?

What that poster basically said was that what impressed him the most about Loyola is that they DON'T do what you think they do relative to getting great talent. Reading is fundamental. Pay closer attention.

Reactions: WP606 and Bowie50
My boy?

What that poster basically said was that what impressed him the most about Loyola is that they DON'T do what you think they do relative to getting great talent. Reading is fundamental. Pay closer attention.

Maybe you should heed your own advice and not twist what he said to make it look like LA doesn’t recruit. He was saying they don’t recruit the highly touted athletes, the recruit the right ones. Again, congrats on the recruiting success!

According to the IHSA, Rice has 732 boys. If Marist was at death's door with 1200 boys, what does that make Rice with 732?

It's not just Rice, all the schools in the area are down. Even McAuley which used to have 500 girls per class is under 300 per now.

Loyola may not have a ton of high end d1 kids but I would guess that they have more players than any school in IL playing at the next level, either fcs, d2, or d3. They still get a ton of outstanding players that go on the play in college. Let's not act like they play with a bunch of average size/speed kids. They have some big dudes playing there and dbs/lbs who are a step slow to play d1 so they end up at solid academic schools and play at a very high level there. Without even looking I bet you could look at the pioneer/patriot league rosters and find at least 5 former ramblers on the rosters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
please, please please.....show me any kind of data that says Marist had 1200 boys in 2001. That is FAKE NEWS! BR was largest all boys school in the state at the time and was under 1200 then. I tried verifying the enrollment on IHSA but Marist's data is unavailable because they did not make the playoffs any year between 1996-2005, so tell me how great things were going on 115th.

Maybe you should heed your own advice and not twist what he said to make it look like LA doesn’t recruit. He was saying they don’t recruit the highly touted athletes, the recruit the right ones. Again, congrats on the recruiting success!

Athletic recruiting is prohibited by the IHSA. If you are aware of Loyola or any other school breaking those rules, please provide your proof to the IHSA. If you have no proof, STFU.

Athletic recruiting is prohibited by the IHSA. If you are aware of Loyola or any other school breaking those rules, please provide your proof to the IHSA. If you have no proof, STFU.
Is that for real Ramblinman? I thought it just wasn’t talked about. Never knew it was illegal.

Hey don’t be upset that your boy said the one thing Loyola does well is illegal for just about everybody else. Congrats on starting at third base!
You should really reread the post, guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT