ADVERTISEMENT

Make Arlington Great Again

Sit in a car for an hour going in and two hours coming home for those 8-10 games each year, for the last 37 years and then tell me how irrelevant it is.
But that is no different than most major sporting events of 50,000 plus spectators

Perhaps because most of those venues have a lot more seats??
As a long time Illinois season ticket holder, who also had tickets for the Bears in 2002 in Champaign, one key for parking is whether patrons know where they are going and if there are secondary routes which knowledgeable people can use to get to the stadium. There are no secondary routes to Soldier Field because of its location along the lake, east of LSD. Parking is never going to be easy for Soldier Field. But transit is a block away with a walkway right to the stadium.

Parking for the Bears in Champaign was a much bigger mess than for the Illini because a large percentage of Illini fans know how to get through campus so they dont have to use the "authorized" routes. Bears games backed up the authorized routes pretty badly, but I could get to Memorial Stadium without stopping for anything longer than a stop sign or red light - Market Street exit, to end of Market and bounce a block east to First Street under the tracks, to the stadium on First or Fourth. Closing First Street for Illini games, in my opinion, loused up gameday traffic patterns, although access from the south is much better now...

But look at it from high school football opportunities...a retractable dome probably makes it the home of the state championships even though Arlington Heights is not a very accessible location. Or maybe Soldier Field becomes a viable site...

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Sit in a car for an hour going in and two hours coming home for those 8-10 games each year, for the last 37 years and then tell me how irrelevant it is.
That’s exactly my point. Its not stopping anyone from going to the game. You Plan ahead and make it in time.

You’ve done it for 37 years! :)

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Since they won the Super Bowl they are 5-8 in home playoff games, so what is the advantage the cold offers? If you are going to put garbage on the field at least give the fans a good experience.
Since the Super Bowl era the Bears are 2-5 at home in the playoffs against cold weather teams and 5-3 against warm weather teams. I counted Seattle and SF as warm weather teams because you will get rain out there but it doesn't get cold there like it does here in winter. I'd say the cold weather is a bit of an advantage against warm weather teams. And you should know that this needs to be separated between cold and warm weather cities.

I'd like to know what their season record is against warm weather teams in December and January is.

Bear weather is a myth

Do you have tickets and go to the games?
Of course I've gone to games. You measure the cold weather effect on warm weather teams, not cold weather teams. The Bears have won more playoff games at home against warm weather teams than they have lost since the beginning of the Super Bowl era. Their record is 5-3 so it isn't a myth. I'd like to know how the Bears have done at home against warm weather teams in regular season games played in December and January.

Of course I've gone to games. You measure the cold weather effect on warm weather teams, not cold weather teams. The Bears have won more playoff games at home against warm weather teams than they have lost since the beginning of the Super Bowl era. Their record is 5-3 so it isn't a myth. I'd like to know how the Bears have done at home against warm weather teams in regular season games played in December and January.
I went and looked. For games just in December and January...

From 1986 through 2009 the Bears were 16-5 against warm weather teams.

But from 2010-2020 they were 5-9 against the same group of teams.

Reactions: SOUTHSIDECFD
I went and looked. For games just in December and January...

From 1986 through 2009 the Bears were 16-5 against warm weather teams.

But from 2010-2020 they were 5-9 against the same group of teams.

So you’re saying when you put the better team on the field the weather doesn’t matter? Someone should tell the Bears front office this. If you are counting on help from the weather to win games your team has problems.

So you’re saying when you put the better team on the field the weather doesn’t matter? Someone should tell the Bears front office this. If you are counting on help from the weather to win games your team has problems.

100% agree. Line the teams up regardless of the weather the better team is going to win. I do like the retractable roof idea. I have been to plenty of Bears games in November-December and I can honestly say I would rather be inside out of the cold. One home game against the Packers in December. It was flat out cold and snowing, the wind was brutal. Farve through several picks and the Bears won the game. We had our feet standing on cardboard to keep them off the cement but I don’t think it helped as much as the brandy! 😂

Similar idea, different location...with NASCAR apparently having abandoned the Joliet track, I believe the Bears would be negligent if they failed to investigate the Joliet property if the site were put up for sale.

Heck, my freshman year of college I had a newspaper article taped to my dorm door about the Bears being interested in a stadium in Manteno on the state owned farmland adjacent to / part of the former MMHC, now an industrial park. Maybe the state offers some of the land purchased for the long discussed third airport...maybe the stadium is part of the terminal?

Seriously, the minor shareholders of the Bears are entitled to due diligence in the stadium question. The Halas family no longer owns 100% of the team. Numerous corporations are likely to result from a Bears attempt to build their own stadium - kind of like how the Ricketts have separated their real estate and business investments around Wrigley from the Cubs...

Warm weather, cold weather…without looking it up I’d guess a significant portion of the league is from the south and California.

Warm weather, cold weather…without looking it up I’d guess a significant portion of the league is from the south and California.
Cold weather teams
MN
Detroit
Indy
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Philly
NYG
NYJ
NE
Buffalo
Washington
Denver
KC
Chicago

Cold weather teams
MN
Detroit
Indy
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Philly
NYG
NYJ
NE
Buffalo
Washington
Denver
KC
Chicago
I was going to make a list too. But, I don't think we can consider Detroit, Minnesota and Indianapolis cold weather teams anymore because they play in domes. It might get cold outside the dome but it sure as hell isn't cold inside and there isn't any wind. Softies.

Then you have a tweener. It can get cold in Nashville, but it usually isn't as cold as here, nor does that cold last as long. But, they do get snow.

I know your list is of places where we know it will be cold. And I would agree with this.

100% agree. Line the teams up regardless of the weather the better team is going to win. I do like the retractable roof idea. I have been to plenty of Bears games in November-December and I can honestly say I would rather be inside out of the cold. One home game against the Packers in December. It was flat out cold and snowing, the wind was brutal. Farve through several picks and the Bears won the game. We had our feet standing on cardboard to keep them off the cement but I don’t think it helped as much as the brandy! 😂
I was at that game, your beer would freeze to the inside of the cup and it was so windy, one 1/2 of the stadium was almost empty. and standing on the other side so the wind was at your back. That's the game Urlacher picked on for a TD too. (Favre's last as a Packer at Soldier Field, I believe).

Similar idea, different location...with NASCAR apparently having abandoned the Joliet track, I believe the Bears would be negligent if they failed to investigate the Joliet property if the site were put up for sale.
There is no way in the world the Bears would look at that site and seriously consider a move there. There are far too many problems with putting any professional team there.

I don't know if you are familiar with that area or not. First, there are a TON of warehouses in that immediate area with more to be built. The semi traffic on 53 going to and coming from I-80 is horrendous. I avoid that area like the plague. All of the residents in that area have complained about this and the coming of more warehouses. But they aren't rich and the Joliet politicians don't live in that area, so they turn a deaf ear on the residents.

Oh, they say the trucks will be re-routed, but I don't believe them and I don't think the residents do either.

Rt 53 runs just west of the track. It is a four lane road and the only four lane road near the track. As far as infrastructure goes, you'd literally be starting at zero with a project like this. Even if you did entertain the idea, where would the visiting teams stay when the come? There is no hotel that a professional team would want to stay at anywhere near that land. Putting a hotel near the track was talked about. But, I don't know how full that hotel would be on open weekends and during the offseason. Probably quite empty.

Then, there is getting to and from the airport. You could take 53 north from the track merging into Rt 52 to I-80 east, to 355 north. I imagine the teams fly into and from O'Hare. Arlington Heights is a stone's throw from O'Hare compared to south Joliet.

Is it impossible? No, nothing is. But, it would literally take years to put all the infrastructure in at great cost. There are just too many things that would need to be overcome to make this a viable location, in my opinion.

Come on man! Steel up!! I have been to cold Bears games too. I remember one against Tampa Bay and yes the beer did freeze on the sides of the cup. (Walter) So what, drink faster. LOL!

This stuff about living in Northern Illinois and complaining about cold weather has always intrigued me. The way I hear some people complain about the winter weather here, every year, is crazy. If I hated winter that much, my ass would have been out of here years ago. I am NOT going to spend several months complaining about the weather every single year regardless if it's heat or cold. And when it comes to winter weather complaints, I am talking about people who grew up in this area and know the weather.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion than 99% of the people who do complain have never really gotten involved in outdoor winter activities. These aren't people who ski, ice skate, ride snowmobiles or do anything else outside with any regularity. Shoveling snow or snow blowing doesn't count either. You're only doing it because you have to. LOL!

I realize some people just don't handle cold as well as others. I get that. But complaining doesn't get a person warmer and I'll be damned if I am going to hibernate all winter. Most people, however, simply don't dress right for the cold. For the cold games, it's definitely hiking boots, carhartt, ski gloves and a good hat and I'm good to go. Nothing worn tightly...you're asking to be frozen if you do that. Looser layers. Stamp your feet if they are cold. It helps. Always keep your toes moving inside your boots.

Wind can be tough. I'll give you that one. But somehow you gotta overcome or you won't enjoy the game. Next time stay home! :D :rolleyes:

This may sound crazy to you. But, I'd rather have it 15-20 degrees outside than 90 with a dew point of 70 or more. Sure, swimming in the pool helps. And quite honestly, when wifey and I are working in the yard, riding bikes or walking, high heat and dew point don't seem to bother me as much. I am sweaty anyway. It's when I am showered and clean that it becomes a problem because I sweat big time.

To me the difference is this. If you are cold or chilly, you can move around to warm up. But, if you are sitting at a baseball game sweltering in the heat and humidity you certainly can't move around to get cooler. It's harder to escape when you are outside. It is for me anyway.

I prefer to sleep in a cooler/cold room to a warm one. In winter it's not unheard of for me to turn the thermostat down to 64 or 65 at night. Makes sleeping much better. But, I am not going to sweat my butt off in summer.

A couple Saturdays ago it was pretty hot and humid in the afternoon. Wifey and I were doing yard work and getting the grass cut as rain was approaching. Just as I was putting the lawnmower in the garage the first few raindrops were falling. We opened a couple lawn chairs just inside the garage and settled in for a Leinenkugels Original.

The rain came and was a soaking rain for a while. Then it picked up. So, wifey gets out of her chair and stood in the pouring rain. Then she gave me this look that only a wife can give as if to say, "aren't you coming in?" Yep, I sure did. Man, that was refreshing and cool rain. I don't even know how many years it had been since we did that. We were laughing like teenagers. The next day the neighbor saw me and said, "I saw you two yesterday." We, (he and his wife) should have joined you!" LOL!

Point is, you can always make lemonade.

I didn't complain about it, just said I was there. I've been to an indoor game in St. Louis and I'm really not fond of the sterile environment of an indoor football stadium.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
There is no way in the world the Bears would look at that site and seriously consider a move there. There are far too many problems with putting any professional team there.

I don't know if you are familiar with that area or not. First, there are a TON of warehouses in that immediate area with more to be built. The semi traffic on 53 going to and coming from I-80 is horrendous. I avoid that area like the plague. All of the residents in that area have complained about this and the coming of more warehouses. But they aren't rich and the Joliet politicians don't live in that area, so they turn a deaf ear on the residents.

Oh, they say the trucks will be re-routed, but I don't believe them and I don't think the residents do either.

Rt 53 runs just west of the track. It is a four lane road and the only four lane road near the track. As far as infrastructure goes, you'd literally be starting at zero with a project like this. Even if you did entertain the idea, where would the visiting teams stay when the come? There is no hotel that a professional team would want to stay at anywhere near that land. Putting a hotel near the track was talked about. But, I don't know how full that hotel would be on open weekends and during the offseason. Probably quite empty.

Then, there is getting to and from the airport. You could take 53 north from the track merging into Rt 52 to I-80 east, to 355 north. I imagine the teams fly into and from O'Hare. Arlington Heights is a stone's throw from O'Hare compared to south Joliet.

Is it impossible? No, nothing is. But, it would literally take years to put all the infrastructure in at great cost. There are just too many things that would need to be overcome to make this a viable location, in my opinion.

Actually the location works out better than you believe.

I live in the area. There are many hotels, including a Marriot within a few miles, right by Woodfield. There is also the Renaissance Hotel, which is tied to the Schaumburg convention center. Plus, O'Hare is right down the road, which has about every hotel under the sun.

Warehouses? Where? This is a very small industrial park right across from the property on Rohlwing. It is partially vacant. Then West of 53 off of Hicks, there are some warehouses, but those don't come into play. Just North of the racetrack is the Palatine Post office, a few smaller business, a McDonalds, and a Dunkin Donuts right off of Northwest Hwy. South of the racetrack, across Euclid are homes and the courthouse and a small strip mall. East are homes and a very small strip mall.

Rt 53 is 3 lanes in each direction at the point of entrance off of Euclid. Within a half mile of entering on 53 at Euclid, heading South, it splits and goes to 5 lanes, with an express lane passing the exits to 90 and Woodfield. Those express lanes will make traffic for those heading South flow quickly. I would think that a flyover lane heading from 53 to 90 east would help as well, since right now it is a one-lane clover leaf. That plan for the flyover has been on the books for some time.

There are also entrances to 53 off of Northwest Highway and Palatine Road. I-90 East is also just about a a mile and half away. And don't forget the Metra, which stops right at the racetrack.

I can see them widening both Euclid and Northwest Hwy. It would sense and there is the land to do both. An exit and entrance at 90 right down Wilke Rd would also make total sense. And you are correct, it would take years for that infrastructure.

It will also take years to build a new stadium. Best estimates, if they began right now, would be 2026.

These are big plans. Which surprise the hell out of us because the Bears have never been a big plan team.

But if they want to compete in the new NFL, the timing is right for this change.

But sure, stay at 100-year old Soldier Field and it's 61,500 seating capacity. It's a perfect location for a stadium. Land locked in three directions and you need to have a boat to head East.

I meant the players.
...to varying degrees depending on the team's availability and willingness to use indoor training facilities. I can imagine the Mike Brown Bengals still toughing it out in their Over The Rhine outdoor practice field while most have mini domes or covered facilities.

I live in the area. There are many hotels, including a Marriot within a few miles, right by Woodfield. There is also the Renaissance Hotel, which is tied to the Schaumburg convention center. Plus, O'Hare is right down the road, which has about every hotel under the sun.

Warehouses? Where? This is a very small industrial park right across from the property on Rohlwing. It is partially vacant. Then West of 53 off of Hicks, there are some warehouses, but those don't come into play. Just North of the racetrack is the Palatine Post office, a few smaller business, a McDonalds, and a Dunkin Donuts right off of Northwest Hwy. South of the racetrack, across Euclid are homes and the courthouse and a small strip mall. East are homes and a very small strip mall.

Rt 53 is 3 lanes in each direction at the point of entrance off of Euclid. Within a half mile of entering on 53 at Euclid, heading South, it splits and goes to 5 lanes, with an express lane passing the exits to 90 and Woodfield. Those express lanes will make traffic for those heading South flow quickly. I would think that a flyover lane heading from 53 to 90 east would help as well, since right now it is a one-lane clover leaf. That plan for the flyover has been on the books for some time.

There are also entrances to 53 off of Northwest Highway and Palatine Road. I-90 East is also just about a a mile and half away. And don't forget the Metra, which stops right at the racetrack.

I can see them widening both Euclid and Northwest Hwy. It would sense and there is the land to do both. An exit and entrance at 90 right down Wilke Rd would also make total sense. And you are correct, it would take years for that infrastructure.

It will also take years to build a new stadium. Best estimates, if they began right now, would be 2026.

These are big plans. Which surprise the hell out of us because the Bears have never been a big plan team.

But if they want to compete in the new NFL, the timing is right for this change.

But sure, stay at 100-year old Soldier Field and it's 61,500 seating capacity. It's a perfect location for a stadium. Land locked in three directions and you need to have a boat to head East.
I think LTHS was referring to the Joliet Track location.

Quags, I was talking about the Joliet location not Arlington Heights. Joliet it out. But, I am in favor of Arlington Heights.

...to varying degrees depending on the team's availability and willingness to use indoor training facilities. I can imagine the Mike Brown Bengals still toughing it out in their Over The Rhine outdoor practice field while most have mini domes or covered facilities.
I regret my comment.

I am Ok with a stadium going up out there as long as the infrastructure will handle it. But NO ROOF, NO ROOF, NO EFFING ROOF you softies!! Baseball and football are meant to be played outside in the elements. If you want some basketball tournament build another stadium somewhere else.

The minute they put a roof on the place the Bears lose any edge cold weather gives. And don't start that Super Bowl crap. More of them are still played in warm weather cities anyway and we won't see New York get another.

Retractable so we can do more than host 10 football games a year. This isn't exactly brain surgery here, keep up.

Reactions: Bwm57 and kkhawk
The decision to stick with grass over Field Turf is 100 percent Bears decision.

I really believe if done right and invested with DEEP pockets, a new Halas Park (not just field) in Arlington would be an absolute goldmine of revenue for the state of IL.

IMO you build “Halas Park” up as a destination park. I think expanding rail access to the Metra station, plus all the recently build and expanded roadway infrastructure in the area could definitely support up to 150-200k people (100k fans + local employment/support).

Bars including a brewery, restaurants, Bears HOF building, public fairgrounds, on site casino, hotels, and a whole lotta parking would provide a lot of jobs and tons of tax dollars coming in on a weekly basis year round.

The obvious question is who pays? I don’t think McCaskeys have this kinda money, and I don’t see them taking on on a Billion dollar loan, but if recent rumors are true, heres a fun thought: McCaskeys sell majority of team to Bezos and McCaskey family members that wana stay in keep the remaining shares. Bezos funds the project and gets ownership of one of nfls most storied franchises. He’ll pay some $$ but can write off the entire $3-4B project from his taxes.

Reactions: Gene K.
The obvious question is who pays? I don’t think McCaskeys have this kinda money, and I don’t see them taking on on a Billion dollar loan, but if recent rumors are true, heres a fun thought: McCaskeys sell majority of team to Bezos and McCaskey family members that wana stay in keep the remaining shares. Bezos funds the project and gets ownership of one of nfls most storied franchises. He’ll pay some $$ but can write off the entire $3-4B project from his taxes.
Any plan that involves getting rid of or reducing the influence of the McCaskeys is a winner for Bears' fans everywhere.

I didn't say it would be a good idea to go to Joliet. I drive to Joliet regularly to go to court, taking 52 from Manteno - which is the intersection east of the racetrack on Laraway (the north edge of the track), while 53 is west of the track, and they merge just south of I80. And let me remind you that I've been on the Kankakee County Planning Commission for 20+ years, where a primary concern is truck traffic driven by Joliet and Elwood which wanders onto two lane roads in Kankakee County to avoid I-80. I'm on the Will County Planning Dept. mailing list for their truck traffic studies...zoom attended their recent public hearings on their truck traffic plan (from 80 to Wilmington, 55 to Manhattan)...

From a purely municipal planning perspective, replacing a 47,000 seat NASCAR track (which sits next to a 30,000 seat dragstrip amongst a sea of warehouses) with a NFL stadium isn't much of a stretch as far as the stadium itself goes...They put in a lot of infrastructure because of the racetrack, road improvements, water & sewer, new fire station. The demands of an 80,000 seat football stadium might be a little more focused - since there is no transit really available (the downtown Joliet Metra station really doesn't help the track). But people coming in for NASCAR likely put much greater pressure on the hotels and other hospitality venues on that weekend, sticking around for days.

You are completely right when you say Arlington Heights right now is more appropriate, as the amenities of the area are far better. If someone in 1985 had the vision in Joliet & Will County, I would not have been surprised if they had gone after the Sox, Bears (think Kansas City - Royals Stadium & Arrowhead), Bulls, Hawks, and both tracks. They could try now...Sox lease is up in 2029, United Center is almost 30 years old, get Reinsdorf involved - I'm sure Pritzker could find someone interested in building a high end hotel for visiting teams. I'm not sure if Arlington Heights has the space for multiple stadiums, but plenty of farmland south of the Joliet racetrack...Might help drive repair / replacement of I-80 from 55 to 355, Briggs Street to 4 lanes, other transportation improvements which really are necessary because of the truck traffic right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT