ADVERTISEMENT

Make Arlington Great Again

lookoutforliam

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
Chicago
Curious to get peoples thoughts on Bears bid on the racetrack. I would be all for it-attract NCAA tourney, host SB, roof for cold weather, etc. Only issue would be traffic.....but I am sure IDOT would figure something out.

Reactions: kkhawk
I have 2008-Chicago bids for Olympics- type of nightmares brewing already with this. Traffic, infrastructure, taxes, public for/against back and forth. Not sure if I'm excited or not. Something kind of nice of going to Soldier on the lake. Wish they could just add a roof there.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
I have 2008-Chicago bids for Olympics- type of nightmares brewing already with this. Traffic, infrastructure, taxes, public for/against back and forth. Not sure if I'm excited or not. Something kind of nice of going to Soldier on the lake. Wish they could just add a roof there.
Soldier Field is a dump easily the worst NFL stadium I’ve been to.

I see nothing but traffic jams on 53. I know we have Metra but ideally you’d want the CTA nearby too. Maybe Elon’s Hyper Loop will be ready by then.

Traffic is a non-issue to me, and I say this as a guy who hates being in a car. You’re talking about possibly 80,000 people in one area. There’s going to be traffic.

Traffic is a non-issue to me, and I say this as a guy who hates being in a car. You’re talking about possibly 80,000 people in one area. There’s going to be traffic.
And traffic is why I stay away from SF. That on top of it being a crappy venue.

I am Ok with a stadium going up out there as long as the infrastructure will handle it. But NO ROOF, NO ROOF, NO EFFING ROOF you softies!! Baseball and football are meant to be played outside in the elements. If you want some basketball tournament build another stadium somewhere else.

The minute they put a roof on the place the Bears lose any edge cold weather gives. And don't start that Super Bowl crap. More of them are still played in warm weather cities anyway and we won't see New York get another.

I am Ok with a stadium going up out there as long as the infrastructure will handle it. But NO ROOF, NO ROOF, NO EFFING ROOF you softies!! Baseball and football are meant to be played outside in the elements. If you want some basketball tournament build another stadium somewhere else.

The minute they put a roof on the place the Bears lose any edge cold weather gives. And don't start that Super Bowl crap. More of them are still played in warm weather cities anyway and we won't see New York get another.
NO ROOF, but they need to consider the latest version of field turf.

Since they won the Super Bowl they are 5-8 in home playoff games, so what is the advantage the cold offers? If you are going to put garbage on the field at least give the fans a good experience.

The only reason to move, IMO, is for a better stadium with a better playing surface. Playing surface is a joke. At this point, they need to go field turf with all the play that field gets from HS football and college games. As well as other events.

Don't care about the other reason being talked about around town (hosting big 10 hoops, NCAA tourny, super bowl, etc....) Why does any of that matter other than "it sounds cool".

We have the UC to host Big 10 and tourney games. They have done it before.

Patriots, Packers, Jets, Giants, etc all have similar climates and play outdoors. I personally like football outside as opposed to in a dome.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
The only reason to move, IMO, is for a better stadium with a better playing surface. Playing surface is a joke. At this point, they need to go field turf with all the play that field gets from HS football and college games. As well as other events.

Don't care about the other reason being talked about around town (hosting big 10 hoops, NCAA tourny, super bowl, etc....) Why does any of that matter other than "it sounds cool".

Patriots, Packers, Jets, Giants, etc all have similar climates and play outdoors. I personally like football outside as opposed to in a dome.
I was told Solider Field keeps grass so they can have major Soccer events...when does that happen once every 8 years?

Reactions: SOUTHSIDECFD
"Don't care about the other reason being talked about around town (hosting big 10 hoops, NCAA tourny, super bowl, etc....) Why does any of that matter other than "it sounds cool"."

Like everything else, additional revenue.

If you remember Chicago hosted several prelim games in the world cup some time ago. The Chicago Park District hired a lot of new kids and interns for that event. Many of those people are now the people running the park district. They have fought installing field turf for years. They would much rather see two Latin American countries play soccer than American football.

The city should have built a new stadium just to the west over the railroad.

Since they won the Super Bowl they are 5-8 in home playoff games, so what is the advantage the cold offers? If you are going to put garbage on the field at least give the fans a good experience.
I get that and you make a good point. But why even things up on purpose? They might gain an advantage with crowd noise under a dome. So, there's that.

And traffic is why I stay away from SF. That on top of it being a crappy venue.
Just out of curiosity, do you attend any large events? There is traffic at every major event. Soldier Field traffic isnt as bad as most major college football venues I have been to.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do you attend any large events? There is traffic at every major event. Soldier Field traffic isnt as bad like most major college football venues I have been to.
Not much anymore. The last time I went to SF it took me 3 hours from Deerfield on a Monday night game. I’m just getting to be a grumpy old man and prefer television.

Reactions: USD24
Not much anymore. The last time I went to SF it took me 3 hours from Deerfield on a Monday night game. I’m just getting to be a grumpy old man and prefer television.
Getting to and from a Sox game has become increasingly aggravating.

Getting to and from a Sox game has become increasingly aggravating.
No small part of this is the recent gun violence risks on I-57 and the Dan Ryan which is statistically the worst in the Chicagoland area by quite a margin.

How does that increase traffic times heading into a game?

Disregard the above, I realized after re-reading you referring to the added aggravation. Good Times!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24

Bear weather is a myth

Do you have tickets and go to the games?

Sit in a car for an hour going in and two hours coming home for those 8-10 games each year, for the last 37 years and then tell me how irrelevant it is.

You have given up 41 days of your life in traffic to watch bad football, hope you have a strong tailgate game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT