ADVERTISEMENT

Lights on Laramie?

MC63

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lake County
I'm hearing that the MC at LA game in late October might be played on a Friday night.

Does this mean they are considering permanent lights, or that temporary lights might be rented for certain games, or something else?

i need my Rambler buddies to jump in here, please.

NB, Some years ago, I attended the only LA night game played in Wilmette. Beautiful autumn evening. Love to do it again.

I'm hearing that the MC at LA game in late October might be played on a Friday night.

Does this mean they are considering permanent lights, or that temporary lights might be rented for certain games, or something else?

i need my Rambler buddies to jump in here, please.

NB, Some years ago, I attended the only LA night game played in Wilmette. Beautiful autumn evening. Love to do it again.
It’s at MC so it will be played under the lights. Unless something changed but it was at LA last year so it will be at MC this year.

It’s at MC so it will be played under the lights. Unless something changed but it was at LA last year so it will be at MC this year.
Just checked both LA's and MC's web sites and they have it as an away game at LA on Saturday 10/21/2023 at 130pm.

SR played on the road at MC last August. Both SR's and MC's website show SR at MC again this fall.

Just checked both LA's and MC's web sites and they have it as an away game at LA on Saturday 10/21/2023 at 130pm.

SR played on the road at MC last August. Both SR's and MC's website show SR at MC again this fall.
Yeah but last year MC/SR game was a crossover match as SR was in the Green, normally when you play teams within your division it’s traditionally a home/away rotation. Maybe it is at LA again, two years in a row there in week 9 would suck but it is what it is I guess.

I retract my initial statement, looks like we are @ LA and @BR after having to play at both schools on the road in 2022. Odd.

I retract my initial statement, looks like we are @ LA and @BR after having to play at both schools on the road in 2022. Odd.
That is very odd. Why in the world would MC agree to play LA two years in a row at LA. MC won last year and I feel they will definitely win this year so I guess I just answered my own question! 😂
It should be a great game but I feel MC brings to much back. Maybe I am wrong? Let’s hear you guys. 😊

Boys, I got the following schedule from an official at MC. ou might not other duplications from last year:

8-26 East St. Louis at Hancock Stadium (Bloomington, IL)
9-1 Morgan Park
9-8 Notre Dame Away
9-15 St. Rita Home
9-22 Carmel Catholic Home

9-29 Br. Rice Away
Oct. 6 Fenwick Away
Oct. 13 Providence Home
Oct. 21 Loyola Away

Last edited:
In accordance with realignment, conference schedules are determined/reset every 2 years based on a formula regardless of any previous season’s schedule.
Tough draw for MC with those two back to back on the road.

That is very odd. Why in the world would MC agree to play LA two years in a row at LA. MC won last year and I feel they will definitely win this year so I guess I just answered my own question! 😂
It should be a great game but I feel MC brings to much back. Maybe I am wrong? Let’s hear you guys. 😊
Way to early my friend! Ask again in 5 months

Yeah but last year MC/SR game was a crossover match as SR was in the Green, normally when you play teams within your division it’s traditionally a home/away rotation. Maybe it is at LA again, two years in a row there in week 9 would suck but it is what it is I guess.
The crossovers for Rita were home and then away also. With a new head coach I'm glad the MC game is not week one. Week three gives them time to settle in a little. While MC is the favorite, I'm hoping they can give MC a better game then they did last year opening the season. SR needs to rebuild the OL and lost a lot on the defense, but I'm kind of curious how the new QB coach affects the team.

With a two-year cycle of home then away followed by another two-year cycle of away then home makes it look like one team has the advantage with two home games in consecutive years. I had a non sports minded parent with a son on the varsity for two years. Both of those years they played a big rival on the road. I could not convince him the league was not out to screw his kid. Over the years things even out. And what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCaravan
The CCL sets the regular season schedules not the teams. Realignment years kind of shake times up. The CCL is top heavy with BR, LA, MC, PC and SR. In a perfect world you could have a 10 team league with 9 set opponents. But no one is volunteering to be the other five teams. The current league alignment tries to qualify as many teams as possible for the playoffs. Some of the smaller schools need to get two of those wins in non-coms to make the playoffs. Schools like STL may not be up there in football but they have no problem winning baseball games.

MC should be the favorite in the game.

Only 3 home games for the Caravan this year. OUCH!!!
I’d rather play MP at home then Soliders Field personally. But 3 home games sucks from a financial point too as these games make a lot of money. I thought BR and LA would be at home and those would he huge draws but I guess not this year. Hopefully we get a couple home playoff games!

Last edited:
Reactions: kwamizee
I’d rather play MP at home then Soliders Field personally. But 3 home games sucks from a financial point too as these games make a lot of money. I thought BR and SR would be at home and those would he huge draws but I guess not this year. Hopefully we get a couple home playoff games!
We know they will host round 1 so there is another home game. Just have to hope they can host 3 of the 4 games in playoffs before returning to ISU again to conclude the season.

A little bird tells me lights are in the near future for the Ramblers.

I've never seen Loyola's layout, but at least a quarter of the campus runs along the freeway, right? The lights can probably be accommodated. On a more personal basis, beating Loyola at home last year was a highlight of the season. I hope to see another barn-burner between these two hometown rivals. Regardless of what the zip code says, Loyola is, and always was, a member of the Chicago Catholic League.

Last edited:
In accordance with realignment, conference schedules are determined/reset every 2 years based on a formula regardless of any previous season’s schedule.
This is for the nerds out there. The Revenge of the Nerds.
Over the years things even out

Yes, your intuition is correct.

Let home = +1
Away = -1

We have an infinite series

1-1+1-1+1-1...

Isolate every pair, like so:

(1-1)(1-1)(1-1)...Or:
(-1+1)(-1+1)(-1+1)...

And we have
(0)(0)(0)...equals 0.

It all evens out.

But ultra-nerds will want know that the series can be manipulated, and that the outcome can be, in addition to 0, either 1 or 1/2.

Last edited:
I've never seen Loyola's layout, but at least a quarter of the campus runs along the freeway, right? The lights can probably be accommodated. On a more personal basis, beating Loyola at home last year was a highlight of the season. I hope to see another barn-burner between these two hometown rivals. Regardless of what the zip code says, Loyola is, and always was, a member of the Chicago Catholic League.
I’ll let a LA person confirm this but I believe it has something to do with having to get approval from the residential element that lives close to the campus. New Trier is 2 blocks away and has lights so I don’t know what that deal is. @lookoutforliam what is the official word on why there is no lights?

Reactions: lookoutforliam
I’ll let a LA person confirm this but I believe it has something to do with having to get approval from the residential element that lives close to the campus. New Trier is 2 blocks away and has lights so I don’t know what that deal is. @lookoutforliam what is the official word on why there is no lights?
this is what I've been told for heck a decade or two at least.....

Benet Academy has had the resources in place for a complete rebuild of the football stadium with turf and track on campus with the mandate that includes lights. Because of the Village of Lisle ordinance and Benedictine University's lighted stadium across Maple Avenue, that project will not get off the ground.

Reactions: Silver Rain
A little bird tells me lights are in the near future for the Ramblers.

Liam:

How could LA swing this? It's always been my understanding Wilmette places restrictions on the school's enrollment and have flatly dismissed LA's overtures inquiring over the installation of lights.

Unless the president of the Village of Wilmette and the village's board are all LA graduates, I don't see lights a permanent fixture for LA football.

Reactions: mullin17
You are correct- the neighbors have been the thorn in the side of the lights. From what I have heard, Loyola has been working with the village and also buying some of the surrounding properties.

Just look at the Cubs. Multi-billion dollar franchise and they had to fight for lights, and even after they had them, were limited on when they could use them.

Just look at the Cubs. Multi-billion dollar franchise and they had to fight for lights, and even after they had them, were limited on when they could use them.
They were not even close to a multibillion dollar franchise in the ‘80s. I suspect the lights battle would be very different today.

Two different towns. LA- Wilmette, NT - Northfield

I believe Wheaton St. Francis had major pushback when they got lights.

I get the concerns of the residents in LA's neighborhood about permanent lights.

SF did get a ton of complaints about permanent lights from the homeowners right behind the baseball field to the south of the school. I graduated from SF in the 80s and grew up on St. Francis Court. There are only about 30 homes in the Oaks, but a lot of homeowners have complained for years about people going to SF games parking their cars in the neighborhood and using the narrow public access sidewalk through the neighborhood to the baseball diamond and the football field. I walked that path every day to school when I went to SF.

DO a Google Earth of the north end of Saint Francis Court and you will see the path. It cuts rights right through the homes.

On any given weekday, up to 40 cars are parked and fans walk to the baseball or football games. The residents were worried about heavy congestion on Friday nights and drunk kids messing around before or after the games. Baseball games don't really have problems, but some Friday night football games have had some students urinating on lawns or dumping beer cans all over. I think security is SF is pretty good, and the school does tell people to respect the privacy of the residents, but they really can't control what happens off campus.

Interesting…
"Powerful Lights" and a "Jumbo Tron" are used as descriptive words in the first two paragraphs. This an article with a vendetta it seems and a point to prove. Complete crap. Just let them have lights like almost any other school in the state.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I lived in Park Ridge for 18 years and could never understand the hysteria over airport noise. O'Hare had been there well before any of my neighbors ... we all knew about it. If you didn't like it, buy a home somewhere else.

I'm sure that practically every LA neighbor moved into that residential neighborhood (with a large high school) well after it was built. The very real possibility of lights should have top of mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT