ADVERTISEMENT

Lights on Laramie?

If you lived in a place that did not have a major international airport right next to it and then it was decided to build an airport, you might have had a different feeling about it.

It would be one thing if these people were complaining about the existence of students and traffic and trying to get it stopped after moving into a neighborhood adjacent to a school - that would be absurd. But, this is different, the school is asking to make a change that the neighbors think would materially change their neighborhood. There is no reason they were supposed to anticipate this change and accept it. This is what zoning ordinances and community hearings for any change in an ordinance are for. I suspect these people overreacted to the actual change that would come about from lights but that’s not the point, they live there and they have a chance to have a say in what happens in their community and, in this case, they were successful. This is a good example of local government working as it’s supposed to. Frankly, I’m surprised LA didn’t have more clout and ability to push this through despite the community resistance. That’s normally how these things go.

Reactions: lurker74
If you lived in a place that did not have a major international airport right next to it and then it was decided to build an airport, you might have had a different feeling about it.

It would be one thing if these people were complaining about the existence of students and traffic and trying to get it stopped after moving into a neighborhood adjacent to a school - that would be absurd. But, this is different, the school is asking to make a change that the neighbors think would materially change their neighborhood. There is no reason they were supposed to anticipate this change and accept it. This is what zoning ordinances and community hearings for any change in an ordinance are for. I suspect these people overreacted to the actual change that would come about from lights but that’s not the point, they live there and they have a chance to have a say in what happens in their community and, in this case, they were successful. This is a good example of local government working as it’s supposed to. Frankly, I’m surprised LA didn’t have more clout and ability to push this through despite the community resistance. That’s normally how these things go.
Unfamiliar with the neighborhood surrounding LA's stadium, but do neighbors have a legitimate gripe or are they just complaining because something may be changing? Having lived close to a high school football field with lights in the past I can say with certainty that unless you live within a block, maybe two you're not going to be effected by the lights and crowd noise could really only be heard during really big games.

With playoffs, we're talking about a max of 8 home dates where the lights would be used out of the entire year and games would likely be completed by 10pm. How is that a massive burden on residents?

Now I'm assuming this field gets used by other sports, which would be soccer and field hockey, if they all use this one field. How many of those games would need lights? Usually those game start earlier than 7pm or are played on Saturday's.

Like every issue that happens, it's NIMBY. I'm sure the neighbors would love for the school to have a field with lights, as long as it's located off-campus, somewhere else.

In general, people will claim to support all kinds of needed social projects and ideas, or infrastructure improvements, as long as the NIMBY guidelines are followed....

Reactions: 4Afan and deeg6
I lived in Park Ridge for 18 years and could never understand the hysteria over airport noise. O'Hare had been there well before any of my neighbors ... we all knew about it. If you didn't like it, buy a home somewhere else.

I'm sure that practically every LA neighbor moved into that residential neighborhood (with a large high school) well after it was built. The very real possibility of lights should have top of mind.

The issue isn't lights; it's traffic, noise and parking. And to a secondary degree, its that Loyola hasn't lived up to commitments made several years ago when they got a variance to expand parking.

If Loyola simply said, we want lights, but we won't play football on Friday night, this would be much less of an issue and have a better chance of passing.

A few years ago Loyola added a parking lots which came with some caveats around investing in policing the nearby streets, which never happened.

The original proposal started with 183 nights per year, then went to 130 and is now at 60 days. I expect further concessions and alteration before this is finalized.

Like every issue that happens, it's NIMBY. I'm sure the neighbors would love for the school to have a field with lights, as long as it's located off-campus, somewhere else.

In general, people will claim to support all kinds of needed social projects and ideas, or infrastructure improvements, as long as the NIMBY guidelines are followed....
NIMBY? No idea what that stands for. I guess Im old!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT