ADVERTISEMENT

Lepche has left St Francis

Not sure, but everything is pointing to coach Aurelio from montini, as a possible candidate for the sf job.
The new coach at montini is a class act and deserves that job more than anyone. Bu is great coach and a better man.

Reactions: mchsalumni
He'd be a good fit there. Dont know if he put in for it. He's a coach in waiting for somebodys program. I think the linebacker coach from montini put in for it last year. Clearly didnt get it, dont know if he put in again.

My coaching buddy down the street at Mac told me last week that Mac, Aurora Christian and St Francis are leaving and going to the Metro, to the point that he knew the divisions.

My coaching buddy down the street at Mac told me last week that Mac, Aurora Christian and St Francis are leaving and going to the Metro, to the point that he knew the divisions.

Welcome back HHSTigerfan!

When will they leave? 2018 -19 school year?

Which conference do the SF girls teams play now? If this for all sports, this would actually be a downgrade for them and for the non-football boys teams.

Which conference do the SF girls teams play now? If this for all sports, this would actually be a downgrade for them and for the non-football boys teams.
I know that guy ran the football program into ground but it shouldn't take too long to build it up. I'm a CCL Green guy but let's not pretend that portion of the conference is some juggernaut. Yes Montini is a top notch program but they showed a chink in the armor this year. Fenwick had a great year but that's not the norm, Marmion is a solid program but like Fenwick most years they are beatable. DLS has yet to break out despite talent, coaching changes etc. Yes the crossovers with the CCLB are basically unwinnable for SF but that's max 1-2 games per year and StL aside a solid SF team should beat any CCLW or CCLR teams in crossovers as well. If you find a decent coach you should be able to be a playoff team every year for the most part at SF while still playing tough competition that gets you prepared for playoffs and having the mystique of being in CCL. Also I know this is a football board but SF is much better off where they're at for every other sport currently, remember every sport besides football makes playoffs so even if SF has a tough year they still get top notch competition preparing them for playoffs. The metro is garbage, hot hot garbage. I hope for SF fans this rumor is just that, garbage.

Girls play in the GCAC. Think Mother McCauley, Loyola, Fenwick, Ignatius, Montini - definite step down if they go to Metro

St Franics and Bishop Mac were rejected admission to the Metro last year.....not sure how they would get back in next year

St Franics and Bishop Mac were rejected admission to the Metro last year.....not sure how they would get back in next year

Not sure. I just text a local AD and he told me the same thing because his conference was at least considering adding Bishop Mac, but Mac told them they were joining the Metro with St Francis and AC, minus Glenbard South

Well I don't think any of those Montini coaches mentioned would want to coach in the Metro. I would think they at least want to be in the CCL.

That threw me off too because I thought a while back one of the St. Francis posters was hoping for Aurellio to go for the position.

Wassup,

Yes, I was. I had hoped he would have gotten the job last year but they went in a different direction. I heard recently he didn't get the job nearby and I hope he will apply to SF now.

Reactions: Wassup13
Francis joining metro would be the icing on the cake for down grading sports at the school. Like waiving a white flag, even for baseball.

Wassup,

Yes, I was. I had hoped he would have gotten the job last year but they went in a different direction. I heard recently he didn't get the job nearby and I hope he will apply to SF now.
That would be great. I don't think the conference thing is solidified. I hear no Metro but there are other possibilities. I think a conference that matches SF profile better helps. They can schedule tougher non conference games the same way Montini has done for years. The travel for the CCL is terrible. 3 hours to get to De La Salle for a soccer game is a joke.

I know that guy ran the football program into ground but it shouldn't take too long to build it up. I'm a CCL Green guy but let's not pretend that portion of the conference is some juggernaut. Yes Montini is a top notch program but they showed a chink in the armor this year. Fenwick had a great year but that's not the norm, Marmion is a solid program but like Fenwick most years they are beatable. DLS has yet to break out despite talent, coaching changes etc. Yes the crossovers with the CCLB are basically unwinnable for SF but that's max 1-2 games per year and StL aside a solid SF team should beat any CCLW or CCLR teams in crossovers as well. If you find a decent coach you should be able to be a playoff team every year for the most part at SF while still playing tough competition that gets you prepared for playoffs and having the mystique of being in CCL. Also I know this is a football board but SF is much better off where they're at for every other sport currently, remember every sport besides football makes playoffs so even if SF has a tough year they still get top notch competition preparing them for playoffs. The metro is garbage, hot hot garbage. I hope for SF fans this rumor is just that, garbage.
TPF523 -- That is the best Post I have ever read on St. Francis Sports. You are dead on. Remember two years in a Row took Brother Rice down to the end of the game as well. Believe Beat Fenwick both of those years. It is a Major down grade in all Athletics leaving the Conference. However, the one Big issue is travel. "Not Football". All the other Sports is pretty bad. Coming home from Mid week games at 9:00 PM at night and then driving home is pretty rough. Some / most of SFHS kids have a 30 minute plus commute back home. This is a lot to ask from kids and families. People talk about "recruiting' and getting in the athletes. If they are really good athletes they don't want to be playing levels down. I see all sides and it is a difficult situation for all. I hope it works out for them.

Reactions: ignazio
TPF523 However, the one Big issue is travel. "Not Football". All the other Sports is pretty bad. Coming home from Mid week games at 9:00 PM at night and then driving home is pretty rough. Some / most of SFHS kids have a 30 minute plus commute back home. This is a lot to ask from kids and families.

Not denying that conference travel is an issue, but welcome to the club. St. Francis is most definitely not alone in that regard. It's an issue for MANY private schools, including three of St. Francis' closest Catholic school rivals in Marmion, Rosary, and Montini.

How do you think Marian Central (Woodstock) and Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights) manage it? Heck, Marian Central opted into the ESCC knowing that they would be competing against the likes of Marian Catholic, Marist and Joliet Catholic. Carmel Catholic (Mundelein) and Marist (southwest side of Chicago) have been making long trips for conference games for many years. For Carmel Catholic, their closest conference opponent is Marian Central at 13 miles. Their next closest conference foe (St Viator) is 26 miles away. Marian Catholic and Carmel are separated by 70 miles. How about Loyola (Wilmette) and Providence (New Lenox)? DePaul Prep (northside of Chicago) and Bishop Mac (Kankakee)?

Improved travel is yet another reason for a mega private school conference. The more schools you have in a conference, the more flexibility it provides in terms of geographic and competitive scheduling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat Box
TPF523 -- That is the best Post I have ever read on St. Francis Sports. You are dead on. Remember two years in a Row took Brother Rice down to the end of the game as well. Believe Beat Fenwick both of those years. It is a Major down grade in all Athletics leaving the Conference. However, the one Big issue is travel. "Not Football". All the other Sports is pretty bad. Coming home from Mid week games at 9:00 PM at night and then driving home is pretty rough. Some / most of SFHS kids have a 30 minute plus commute back home. This is a lot to ask from kids and families. People talk about "recruiting' and getting in the athletes. If they are really good athletes they don't want to be playing levels down. I see all sides and it is a difficult situation for all. I hope it works out for them.
The future might be SF and JCA "localizing" away from the CCL/ESCC and perhaps being in a same conference/sector as Marmion, Aurora Christian and Montini. If Naz becomes less the recruiting flavor of the month, they would be the eastern edge of this cluster. I'd add Marian Central, but that N-S traffic along the Fox might be worse than just maintaining the NW triangle with Carmel and Viator.

The future might be SF and JCA "localizing" away from the CCL/ESCC and perhaps being in a same conference/sector as Marmion, Aurora Christian and Montini. If Naz becomes less the recruiting flavor of the month, they would be the eastern edge of this cluster. I'd add Marian Central, but that N-S traffic along the Fox might be worse than just maintaining the NW triangle with Carmel and Viator.
I am sure I will get bashed again for my comment here when it comes to Marian Central, but I think they would have been much better off in the CCL Green than the ESCC. Carmel and Viator are the only close ones. Marist, Marion, and JCA traveling to on a Friday night not fun! I also believe that the Green and crossover games in the CCL would have been a better balance of competition for them!

I agree! But its no cake walk for Marmion, Montini, and Francis to get to 35th for a night game vs. De La Salle. There NEEDS to be a joining of Suburban Catholic teams. Make it divisions etc etc etc. Make Montini and Naz a rivalry game like they used to have with Driscoll. This could be done!

Reactions: Cat Box
I agree! But its no cake walk for Marmion, Montini, and Francis to get to 35th for a night game vs. De La Salle. There NEEDS to be a joining of Suburban Catholic teams. Make it divisions etc etc etc. Make Montini and Naz a rivalry game like they used to have with Driscoll. This could be done!

Along with this I think there should be a similar conference for non DVC - Non West Suburban public schools in Dupage county too. But I digress.

I have long been a proponent of re-vitalizing the SCC. This seems easy.

I have long been a proponent of creating a mega-private school conference. This seems best. Imagine the fun divisions which could be made and the great rivalries.

To have Aurora Christian and Aurora Central Catholic physically .6 miles from each other and in separate conferences is dumb. Could say the same for St. Francis and Wheaton Academy

Lets just take all these schools and make a big suburban catholic with 2 divisions.

Aurora Christian
IC
MCHS
MCC
Viator
Carmel
JCA
Naz
STF
Marmion
Fenwick
Benet

Lets just take all these schools and make a big suburban catholic with 2 divisions.

Aurora Christian
IC
MCHS
MCC
Viator
Carmel
JCA
Naz
STF
Marmion
Fenwick
Benet

Of course, those aren't all the suburban Catholic schools.

I suspect you may have had reasons for leaving out Loyola, but did you have any for excluding Notre Dame, Laurence, PC, Marian Catholic, Mac, Aurora Catholic, St. Ed, St. Joe, and Guerin? Three divisions of seven schools?

Thank you ramblin for going there...but I suspect Notre Dame could handle a rivalry with Loyola as well as maintain its historical rivalry with Pats (also excluded, but technically in City). I dont think SJ and Guerin could hang performance wise. Laurence and PC are holding their own in the CCL. Mac seems headed elsewhere. I think Marian Catholic either fills into one to the CCL lower divisions or goes SSC or Southland (to fill a vacancy) if this happened. AuCath and St. Ed are toughs, but if SWSC-style "pressures" were applied, they might be added.

Aurora Christian
IC
MCHS
MCC
Viator
Carmel
JCA
Naz
STF
Marmion
Fenwick
Benet

Fenwick is not leaving the CCL. Their travel would increase greatly joining this league.

Of course, those aren't all the suburban Catholic schools.

I suspect you may have had reasons for leaving out Loyola, but did you have any for excluding Notre Dame, Laurence, PC, Marian Catholic, Mac, Aurora Catholic, St. Ed, St. Joe, and Guerin? Three divisions of seven schools?

It just seems to me the larger you make conferences the more likely they are to break up. Catholic Schools will always have a problem with conferences going forward since there fewer schools then 30 years ago and there is so much variation in enrollments and emphasis on athletics by each school.

Thank you ramblin for going there...but I suspect Notre Dame could handle a rivalry with Loyola as well as maintain its historical rivalry with Pats (also excluded, but technically in City). I dont think SJ and Guerin could hang performance wise. Laurence and PC are holding their own in the CCL. Mac seems headed elsewhere. I think Marian Catholic either fills into one to the CCL lower divisions or goes SSC or Southland (to fill a vacancy) if this happened. AuCath and St. Ed are toughs, but if SWSC-style "pressures" were applied, they might be added.

Regarding ND, I think that some of those other schools in your suburban conference could also handle a rivalry with Loyola. Regardless, that isn't reason enough to exclude ND from an interesting suburban Catholic conference that includes longtime ND opponents like Carmel, Viator, Benet, etc.

IC is already in the same conference with Guerin. I think Guerin would likely fare better in a division with IC, Aurora Christian, St. Ed, St. Joe, Mac, and Marian Catholic than they do in their current conference.

I agree that Laurence and PC are holding their own in the CCL. So is Fenwick, yet they are included in this hypothetical suburban Catholic conference and the other two are not. Doesn't make sense.

Mac may seem headed elsewhere, but they might also have an interest in the division mentioned above.

Last edited:
Geography should be inside (urban) or outside (suburban) Interstate 294.

snow ball chance in hell Bronco leaves CCL, they believe they've hit the mother load in terms of football and baseball recognition by inclusion in that conference.

Its been almost 4 weeks since Lepsche resigned. Has anyone heard anything about St Francis. I heard yesterday that they had over 70 resumes, but have yet to contact any candidates. I would think they would want to move faster before they miss out on good candidates. They typically form a committee to meet with candidates and that hasn't been done yet! I would think under the circumstances there might be a higher sense of ungency! Any news?

Its been almost 4 weeks since Lepsche resigned. Has anyone heard anything about St Francis. I heard yesterday that they had over 70 resumes, but have yet to contact any candidates. I would think they would want to move faster before they miss out on good candidates. They typically form a committee to meet with candidates and that hasn't been done yet! I would think under the circumstances there might be a higher sense of ungency! Any news?
Im pretty sure that's incorrect info.

Im pretty sure that's incorrect info.

It is.

There were about 55-60 resumes. From what I heard they are sorting through them right now. Not sure on a committee forming yet, but it's February so there is plenty of time to hire a quality coach. No reason to rush.

This is going to be a really important hire for SF.

Its been almost 4 weeks since Lepsche resigned. Has anyone heard anything about St Francis. I heard yesterday that they had over 70 resumes, but have yet to contact any candidates. I would think they would want to move faster before they miss out on good candidates. They typically form a committee to meet with candidates and that hasn't been done yet! I would think under the circumstances there might be a higher sense of urgency! Any news?

Spartanalum,

Well, you might like to hear a bunch of kids that said they wouldn't come back to the program next year are going to play now that the old coach quit.

There are a few other small details, but I can't say what they are now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT