ADVERTISEMENT

Lausch (Rice QB) offered by NU

Honestly I would never let my kid walk on at D1 school, for every success story you hear there are hundreds of kids that spend 4 years being cannon fodder and never getting a scholarship. If ND is willing to take you as a walk on there is no reason you can't go play football at an Ivy, Chicago, Wash U, Johns Hopkins or some other elite academic school and enjoy your 4 years playing instead of being a tackling dummy.
Interesting take. My son has a teammate that he went on visits to Wash U, Chicago and other similar schools with. These schools are clamoring for this kid to come play there. The young man can't get past the level of play and the lack of school enthusiasm and fan attendance. He has told my son he would rather walk-on at a Div 1 school with the possibility to never see the field. Just wants to be a part of the bigger college football scene. I don't think this is a common opinion. Most kids just want to play football.

It's definitely a personal decision. You have to admit, there is no comparison between being part of the football program at ND and travelling the midwest playing for Wash U or Chicago at a cut above HS football.

If his focus is baseball and a possible pro career lies there, I can totally see him wanting to be part of the experience of ND football while he is at it. What does playing football at an Ivy or top academic div 3 school do for him baseball-wise?
ClownBaby - I get what you're saying, but there is also no guarantee that you play there either, obviously, the probability is greater but still no guarantee. But I totally understand that if you are good enough to get a walk-on why not go somewhere you know you can play.

NDSox - I totally agree with what you mentioned above, and the opinion of your son's teammate is much more common than you would think. There is a reason so many kids stop playing after 1 or 2 years.

I think what people don't see is how grueling the D3 life is and all the benefits D1 gets and a D1 walk-on gets. I know many people would agree you would rather have your child go to a D3, D2...etc instead of taking a walk-on at a D1. If you come from a good high school program, going D3 is almost like taking a step back, unless you go to one of the major top 3-5 D3 schools. I've coached many kids that easily could have been deserving of D1 or D1-aa walk-ons but went to play at a lower level and quit. D3 does all the same work as a D1 or D1 walk-on player with none of the benefits.

Lower Level football compared to being a D1 walk-on,

- Most likely no meals, maybe a pregame sandwich made by the coach's wife compared to more food than you could ever eat.
- You bus to every game, sometimes these bus rides are 5-6 hours long instead of getting on a plane (Illinois takes a plane to Iowa.....a 40-minute flight) if you make the travel roster.
- Many D3 players have to get jobs during the season and especially after the season to pay for things such as food, rent, books, normal college things...as compared to a D1 walk-on that might have to, but gets all their books for free, gets almost all of their food for free.
- Swag/gear, D3 you pay for everything you get, maybe a few free t-shirts, as compared to D1 where you get thousands of dollars of gear every year.
- D1 compared to D3 school atmosphere, lots of D3s are very small schools, some of them are smaller than the high school you come from. If you come from a larger high school.
- Priority in choosing classes, D3 you don't get priority, D1 walk-on you choose classes before any other students
- D3 pay for tutors, D1 free tutors mandatory study hours with tutors
- FINALLY, I think the most important thing that gets overlooked is the number of fans. When you come from a big high school program and are used to playing in front of 1-2 thousand people and then go D3 where it looks like a Saturday morning JV game can really get them dishearted. As compared to D1 where there are 10s of thousands of fans.

TLDR; I know many kids that have gone and played D3 football and then quit and wished they would have taken that D1 walk-on instead.

Its the "U" rule. Miami got around NCAA sanctions by handing football players track scholarships many years ago. To keep schools from using other sports as farms teams, if a player is multi sport and on scholarship, the scholarship is counted toward football.

Reactions: Bwm57
That doesn’t matter as much because the ncaa has upped the number of full rides for football since then

So you think he picks NU ($350,000 deal for 5 years) or opts for pwo from ND?

Just heard from Lausch family....A decision has been made. The school Jack Lausch will attend starts with the letter "N"

This is all understood and common sense.
At ND he’s not guaranteed anything for football
He wouldn’t count towards that until jr or sr year

Per his Instagram, he just committed to NU. wow could be a massive get if he pans out, sure as hell is athletic enough

• Love
Reactions: epicbret
Per his Instagram, he just committed to NU. wow could be a massive get if he pans out, sure as hell is athletic enough
Could work out like Isiah Williams at U of I. Recruit as a qb, give him a chance at the position and worst case scenario move him to the slot or secondary. Great pickup for NU.

Reactions: illinifan67
ClownBaby - I get what you're saying, but there is also no guarantee that you play there either, obviously, the probability is greater but still no guarantee. But I totally understand that if you are good enough to get a walk-on why not go somewhere you know you can play.

NDSox - I totally agree with what you mentioned above, and the opinion of your son's teammate is much more common than you would think. There is a reason so many kids stop playing after 1 or 2 years.

I think what people don't see is how grueling the D3 life is and all the benefits D1 gets and a D1 walk-on gets. I know many people would agree you would rather have your child go to a D3, D2...etc instead of taking a walk-on at a D1. If you come from a good high school program, going D3 is almost like taking a step back, unless you go to one of the major top 3-5 D3 schools. I've coached many kids that easily could have been deserving of D1 or D1-aa walk-ons but went to play at a lower level and quit. D3 does all the same work as a D1 or D1 walk-on player with none of the benefits.

Lower Level football compared to being a D1 walk-on,

- Most likely no meals, maybe a pregame sandwich made by the coach's wife compared to more food than you could ever eat.
- You bus to every game, sometimes these bus rides are 5-6 hours long instead of getting on a plane (Illinois takes a plane to Iowa.....a 40-minute flight) if you make the travel roster.
- Many D3 players have to get jobs during the season and especially after the season to pay for things such as food, rent, books, normal college things...as compared to a D1 walk-on that might have to, but gets all their books for free, gets almost all of their food for free.
- Swag/gear, D3 you pay for everything you get, maybe a few free t-shirts, as compared to D1 where you get thousands of dollars of gear every year.
- D1 compared to D3 school atmosphere, lots of D3s are very small schools, some of them are smaller than the high school you come from. If you come from a larger high school.
- Priority in choosing classes, D3 you don't get priority, D1 walk-on you choose classes before any other students
- D3 pay for tutors, D1 free tutors mandatory study hours with tutors
- FINALLY, I think the most important thing that gets overlooked is the number of fans. When you come from a big high school program and are used to playing in front of 1-2 thousand people and then go D3 where it looks like a Saturday morning JV game can really get them dishearted. As compared to D1 where there are 10s of thousands of fans.

TLDR; I know many kids that have gone and played D3 football and then quit and wished they would have taken that D1 walk-on instead.
All true and in many cases you can add that the quality of coaching compared to a good High School program can drop off significantly,

Reactions: illinifan67
Lolololol at any of us being credible

Truth.. but to be fair to Krock he did call this the day before.

Regarding the signing i love it! NW has been failing recently with some of these transfer portal guys. Lausch seems like a kid with all the intangibles to excel at NW.

How soon does everyone think he could see the field? As a freshman or wishful thinking?

Last edited:
Truth.. but to be fair to Krock he did call this the day before.

Regarding the signing i love it! NW has been failing recently with some of these transfer portal guys. Lausch seems like a kid with all the intangibles to excel at NW.

How soon does everyone think he could see the field? As a freshman or wishful thinking?
Northwestern has an abysmal QB situation. He can walk in and start with proper preparation and training

Northwestern has an abysmal QB situation. He can walk in and start with proper preparation and training
Disagree, that he is going to be able to walk in and start. He was a great high school QB because he was flat out the best athlete on the field 90% of the time. Won't be the case in Big 10 football.

I think he will be good, and a great snag by NW, just don't think he can walk in and start, he has things to clean up Quarterbackwise, but then again he has probably never really trained to be a QB or focused on just one singular sport so this could happen quicker than most kids. If he sees the field as a Freshman it will be in a similar way JJ McCarthy is used at Michigan.

Let's not also forget, Northwestern was terrible as a whole on offense, Wrs, O-line everything, hard to judge QB play when everything is bad, Ryan Hilinski, was a very sought after QB coming out of High School, 66th overall in his class, #2 pro-style in his class, played well his freshman year at South Carolina, has the experience, don't overlook him.

Hilinski and Krause should be 1 and 2 for next 2 years - look for jack to redshirt next year unless injuries force hand. I see him getting shot after Redshirt Frosh year

Baseball is still his future. The NW coaches I spoke with at ecstatic to have a player like Lausch "back into their program".
What is his two sport status? Playing both at NU? Planning on playing football at NU and playing baseball professionally in the summer? Just playing football for NU and stepping back from baseball?

What is his two sport status? Playing both at NU? Planning on playing football at NU and playing baseball professionally in the summer? Just playing football for NU and stepping back from baseball?
Playing football and baseball at NW. All else depends on how draft goes.

Reactions: Gene K.
Disagree, that he is going to be able to walk in and start. He was a great high school QB because he was flat out the best athlete on the field 90% of the time. Won't be the case in Big 10 football.

I think he will be good, and a great snag by NW, just don't think he can walk in and start, he has things to clean up Quarterbackwise, but then again he has probably never really trained to be a QB or focused on just one singular sport so this could happen quicker than most kids. If he sees the field as a Freshman it will be in a similar way JJ McCarthy is used at Michigan.

Let's not also forget, Northwestern was terrible as a whole on offense, Wrs, O-line everything, hard to judge QB play when everything is bad, Ryan Hilinski, was a very sought after QB coming out of High School, 66th overall in his class, #2 pro-style in his class, played well his freshman year at South Carolina, has the experience, don't overlook him.
Cool

Playing football and baseball at NW. All else depends on how draft goes.
I’m a little confused. In order to pass up going to Northwestern, in my opinion, he would have to go in the first 2 rounds. Are you suggesting that he might go that high in this years draft?

I’m a little confused. In order to pass up going to Northwestern, in my opinion, he would have to go in the first 2 rounds. Are you suggesting that he might go that high in this years draft?
He has been projected as round 3-8 draft pick and was projecting upwards. Full scholarship will most likely affect draft status. If things go as projected it is very possible he never plays a football game at Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT