ADVERTISEMENT

Lausch (Rice QB) offered by NU

If ND is his dream school and he wants to compete for a full scholarship in football, his family can afford the remainder of his tuition. It’s public knowledge what his father appointed position is, they can and will pay the remainder of the tuition if ND is where he wants to be. Most PWO end up with scholarships and with his work ethic I’m sure he will. With the likelihood of a professional career a long shot for any athlete, either degree will look great on his wall.

Third year players that get drafted and offered 100k are very late rounders and of course should never sign.
If you are a third year player that doesn’t get draft In the first 12 rounds you should come back to school

And in t
12 rounds? Don’t forget teams can offer less than the slot value to picks in the first 10 rounds in the form of signing bonus money. Nothing is guaranteed. Any idea what that number is for 2021? I don’t but I’m very curious as it pertains to this conversation.
Yes first 12 Rds maybe 15
If you offer less the chances the kid goes back to school is high and now you just wasted a draft pick

Reactions: MC2023
If ND is his dream school and he wants to compete for a full scholarship in football, his family can afford the remainder of his tuition. It’s public knowledge what his father appointed position is, they can and will pay the remainder of the tuition if ND is where he wants to be. Most PWO end up with scholarships and with his work ethic I’m sure he will. With the likelihood of a professional career a long shot for any athlete, either degree will look great on his wall.
NW paid in full And come in with a seat at the table

And in t

Yes first 12 Rds maybe 15
If you offer the chances the kid goes back to school is high and now you just wasted a draft pick
Take a look at the slot money for first ten rounds this past year. I’d say anything past the 10th and it’s a no brainer to return to school.

Reactions: krock the house
Lausch is number 2 academically in his class. Why on earth would he leave a school like Notre Dame early to pursue a minor league baseball career? Why wouldn’t he wait until after he graduates? I guess how high of a draft pick he is may change his mind. But woukd t his worth just increase after
He is projected between round 3-8 in the 2022 MLB draft.
Like I said, future is Baseball.
May I ask where you’ve seen that information Doug?

Reactions: MC2023
I’m far from an expert on ND football. From what I’ve seen of the QB’s at ND this year I’d say that none are great, I’d say from the limited amount I’ve seen they are average.
I’ve heard they’ve got a great recruit coming in from NJ possibly? What’s to say that he doesn’t walk on and compete with this NJ kid and the ones currently on campus and beats them out? He certainly seems to have that certain something that doesn’t show up on scouting reports. I’d love to see it. He’s in a no lose situation no matter what. I’ll certainly be rooting for him wherever he goes. And….. keeping an eye on the younger brother after becoming aware of him from another thread.

Reactions: Gene K.
I’m far from an expert on ND football. From what I’ve seen of the QB’s at ND this year I’d say that none are great, I’d say from the limited amount I’ve seen they are average.
I’ve heard they’ve got a great recruit coming in from NJ possibly? What’s to say that he doesn’t walk on and compete with this NJ kid and the ones currently on campus and beats them out? He certainly seems to have that certain something that doesn’t show up on scouting reports. I’d love to see it. He’s in a no lose situation no matter what. I’ll certainly be rooting for him wherever he goes. And….. keeping an eye on the younger brother after becoming aware of him from another thread.
This is not a knock on the player. Obviously he is leaning towards baseball. But if he was viewed as a great QB at the next level, he would have had plenty of offers from other Power 5 teams at the QB position.

This is not a knock on the player. Obviously he is leaning towards baseball. But if he was viewed as a great QB at the next level, he would have had plenty of offers from other Power 5 teams at the QB position.
Baseball recruiting caught fire first which scared off a lot of schools for football. Recruiting a QB that’s also position baseball player is a stretch unless you are kyle Murray.
In most cases where a QB plays baseball too, he’s a pitcher.
You don’t see it very often.

also unfortunately for this senior class and last year class covid has really effected recruiting. NCAA allowing kids an extra year of eligibility along with the transfer portal has made it tough

Baseball recruiting caught fire first which scared off a lot of schools for football. Recruiting a QB that’s also position baseball player is a stretch unless you are kyle Murray.
In most cases where a QB plays baseball too, he’s a pitcher.
You don’t see it very often.

also unfortunately for this senior class and last year class covid has really effected recruiting. NCAA allowing kids an extra year of eligibility along with the transfer portal has made it tough

I will also add that QB's don't get a ton of offers. Most schools don't waste a lot of meaningless time on QB offers therefore if a kid gets 3 or more, he is doing fantastic!

May I ask where you’ve seen that information Doug?
I work as a crosschecker for a certain MLB central division team....we have watched Lausch (along with a few other local 2022s) and have seen him grow physically and athletically each season. As a Baseball player he has played against top level talent every summer and has always shown himself as "limitless player" and a tremendously "clubhouse athlete".
While he is a great football player his future is in baseball. The football offers didn't come BECAUSE he is seen as a baseball guy. He is a really good football player, a great baseball player, and most important a tremendously young man.

I work as a crosschecker for a certain MLB central division team....we have watched Lausch (along with a few other local 2022s) and have seen him grow physically and athletically each season. As a Baseball player he has played against top level talent every summer and has always shown himself as "limitless player" and a tremendously "clubhouse athlete".
While he is a great football player his future is in baseball. The football offers didn't come BECAUSE he is seen as a baseball guy. He is a really good football player, a great baseball player, and most important a tremendously young man.
Ok….I’m very familiar with his baseball ablilities, and am very familiar with the showcase team he plays for in the summer. I had just never seen his draft projection listed anywhere, and I have my ears and eyes pretty close to that sort of thing.

As a “cross checker” do you project him as a pitcher or a position player?

Lausch is number 2 academically in his class. Why on earth would he leave a school like Notre Dame early to pursue a minor league baseball career? Why wouldn’t he wait until after he graduates? I guess how high of a draft pick he is may change his mind. But woukd t his worth just increase after graduation?
Some minor league teams are now offering to pay for the rest of their degree if they leave school early and sign. My nephew left UofI early to take a minor league deal, and takes a few classes a year in the offseason online to finish his degree, completely paid for by the organization he is playing with. Not sure how common it is or if his agent had to work this in his contract, but if more teams did this I'd say leaving and getting paid, isn't a bad idea if its early enough.

As a “cross checker” do you project him as a pitcher or a position player?
Right now he is seen as an "every day player" due to his offensive skills and defensive abilities; but that could always change. He hasn't pitched much since freshman season so its hard to say how he has developed as a pitcher....."low miles" oh his arm is a good thing.

Never make an arm wrestling bet with a man that has been single for more than 6 months.
Never get less then 12 hours of sleep
Never play poker with a guy that has the same first name as a city
Never be around a woman with a dagger tattoo
…The rest is cream cheese

Reactions: Blue Ruin
I will also add that QB's don't get a ton of offers. Most schools don't waste a lot of meaningless time on QB offers therefore if a kid gets 3 or more, he is doing fantastic!
I disagree. It depends on who the QB is, plenty of offers come if your a 5 star quarterback.

McCaravan,

something here is a little bit off. If an athlete comes into a D1 program as say a basketball and football recruit(akaJon Beutjer) when he went to Iowa. The football program takes the hit to their scholarship total it’s not split, NCAA rule is football always takes the hit first. Now if he’s going to ND on a partial Baseball ship how does this hit football because FBS football scholarships are only 100%? So where I’m going with this is if they offer a PWO it makes no sense because they take a full schollie hit anyway. If I’m wrong here please help me understand how this works.

Reactions: Falcon86
Maybe I'm misunderstood, but from what I read was he was getting no money for either football or baseball and basically had PWO spots for both.

Reactions: weirdo0521
McCaravan,

something here is a little bit off. If an athlete comes into a D1 program as say a basketball and football recruit(akaJon Beutjer) when he went to Iowa. The football program takes the hit to their scholarship total it’s not split, NCAA rule is football always takes the hit first. Now if he’s going to ND on a partial Baseball ship how does this hit football because FBS football scholarships are only 100%? So where I’m going with this is if they offer a PWO it makes no sense because they take a full schollie hit anyway. If I’m wrong here please help me understand how this
It doesn’t hit football at all. sports like baseball love having a duel athlete especially one with a full scholarship in football.
Baseball gets a player without dipping into the 11.7 scholarship it has to spread out between players

Reactions: Gene K. and kkhawk
If Lausch went to ND and earned a scholarship in football say after sophomore year his 30% he was receiving from baseball would go back into the pot of 11.7 to use on other players

McCaravan,

something here is a little bit off. If an athlete comes into a D1 program as say a basketball and football recruit(akaJon Beutjer) when he went to Iowa. The football program takes the hit to their scholarship total it’s not split, NCAA rule is football always takes the hit first. Now if he’s going to ND on a partial Baseball ship how does this hit football because FBS football scholarships are only 100%? So where I’m going with this is if they offer a PWO it makes no sense because they take a full schollie hit anyway. If I’m wrong here please help me understand how this works.
You’ve been through this process with your son so I will go by your word on this. I just thought PWO meant you were given a guaranteed roster spot, as were a regular walk on does not, and if a scholarship opens up you were priority to receive the scholarship, but again not my area of expertise. I remember years ago Tim Brasic from RB turned down a scholarship from Minnesota to be a PWO at Illinois and later received a full ride.

Maybe I'm misunderstood, but from what I read was he was getting no money for either football or baseball and basically had PWO spots for both.
Honestly I would never let my kid walk on at D1 school, for every success story you hear there are hundreds of kids that spend 4 years being cannon fodder and never getting a scholarship. If ND is willing to take you as a walk on there is no reason you can't go play football at an Ivy, Chicago, Wash U, Johns Hopkins or some other elite academic school and enjoy your 4 years playing instead of being a tackling dummy.

Good luck assuming your kid will choose those schools to just enjoy 4 years of football or can step on the field in college as a freshman and play. No disrespect, but I think there’s incredible old school honor these days for kids who take the PWO leap of faith. You know what stories you hear more about? The kids who passed with D1 walk-on potential because D1 college recruiting is complicated and then sat 2-3 years or quit playing at whatever other college they chose because “it was too serious or hard for not being D1”. Not kids who stuck it out and finished

I think the world needs more kids willing to be tackling dummies early at the D1 level because some those tackling dummy stories turn into NFL stories, and just incredible human beings. I think SR’s former LB Sean Coughlan, 2016 CCL blue DPOY who walked in at Illinois, has been a “tackling dummy” for 4 years, got to travel the last 2 years and only action this year was vs NW at home on senior day. Did his college football career pan out compared to past CCL Blue DPOY’s? Not at all. But that young man will be a success story off the field because of it. And I believe he still enjoyed his 4 years of football.

As far as a PWO or WO obtaining a scholarship after hanging with a team for a few years, it likely was easier (although it was never easy) prior to 2018 when the transfer portal was established. Scholarships were always a precious commodity, but as a result of the transfer portal coaches are holding onto scholarships that, in the past, might have gone to a walk-on. Those coaches are hoping that they strike gold with a transfer.
Walk-ons do get scholarships, but it is not as frequent as some might think.

It is pretty easy to research who is a scholarship player and who isn't. Rival's, 247 etc have scholarship grids specific to each school that show what players have scholarships and at what position.

Reactions: kkhawk
Honestly I would never let my kid walk on at D1 school, for every success story you hear there are hundreds of kids that spend 4 years being cannon fodder and never getting a scholarship. If ND is willing to take you as a walk on there is no reason you can't go play football at an Ivy, Chicago, Wash U, Johns Hopkins or some other elite academic school and enjoy your 4 years playing instead of being a tackling dummy.
Interesting take. My son has a teammate that he went on visits to Wash U, Chicago and other similar schools with. These schools are clamoring for this kid to come play there. The young man can't get past the level of play and the lack of school enthusiasm and fan attendance. He has told my son he would rather walk-on at a Div 1 school with the possibility to never see the field. Just wants to be a part of the bigger college football scene. I don't think this is a common opinion. Most kids just want to play football.

It's definitely a personal decision. You have to admit, there is no comparison between being part of the football program at ND and travelling the midwest playing for Wash U or Chicago at a cut above HS football.

If his focus is baseball and a possible pro career lies there, I can totally see him wanting to be part of the experience of ND football while he is at it. What does playing football at an Ivy or top academic div 3 school do for him baseball-wise?

Good southside connection with Deuce McGuire in football and Tony Livermore in baseball at NU

It doesn’t hit football at all. sports like baseball love having a duel athlete especially one with a full scholarship in football.
Baseball gets a player without dipping into the 11.7 scholarship it has to spread out between players
“Headcount Sports(FBS Football, Men’s and Women's Basketball, Women’s Gymnastics, Tennis, and Volleyball) may not benefit from partial scholarships awarded to multi sport Athletes” per NCAA policy.

Meanwhile, former MC two-sport star Alek Thomas, who opted out of football to concentrate on baseball, was recently named the Arizona Diamond Back's Minor League Player of the Year. In his current stop with the Reno Aces, he had a slash line of .369/.434/.658. In addition, he had back-to-back four-hit games twice in a single season, becoming the only professional player to ever accomplish this feat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT