ADVERTISEMENT

Lausch (Rice QB) offered by NU

Topiary

Jul 9, 2001
Good to see him finally get a big-time football offer. Will be interesting to see if he stays with ND baseball offer (with preferred walk on football) or jumps on NU full ride.

Reactions: krock the house
For how much publicity he’s gotten this year, you’d think he’d have more than one offer, but it’s kind of telling these days if he’s posting about a NW offer even with “Notre Dame commit” still on his Twitter. Wonder if the ND football side has gone quiet.

Good for him, such a good hardworking young man, I’m glad NU stepped up. But will ND anti up now and make that PWO a full scholarship? I used to think he may get drafted in baseball, and he still may, but I don’t think it would be high enough to have him turn down two of the top academic universities wanting his services

Good for him, such a good hardworking young man, I’m glad NU stepped up. But will ND anti up now and make that PWO a full scholarship? I used to think he may get drafted in baseball, and he still may, but I don’t think it would be high enough to have him turn down two of the top academic universities wanting his services

NU and ND are recruiting in different stratosphere’s I would expect ND to tell him best of luck at NU.

Iowa offered today as well
The Hawkeyes have a knack for finding underrecruited kids. If you watched them in the conference championship or at all this season, you would have seen tight end Sam LaPorta dominating and he had a very similar path(kid from Illinois who mostly had MAC offers until Iowa offered.)

Reactions: Cross Bones
ND football coach supposedely at Rice today due to recent schoolie offers. Iowa recruiting Lausch as a CB or FS

At the end of the day Lausch is a baseball player with a BASEBALL scholarship to play at ND and a PWO to play football. Does it matter if Iowa, Northwestern, or any other schools offer him a football scholarship? Keep in mind he will most likely be drafted in the MLB 2022 draft AND ND baseball staff has told him they don't see him being at ND beyond his junior year due to his baseball skills and "draft ability".

He's making it apparent to coaches, that he wants to play quarterback in college.
If the deal is right, he is willing to give up baseball.

A man of his character is entitled to make his own decisions.

Within two years, if he keeps healthy, he will have an impact on a program.

Over the last four years, he's been a joy to watch.

Reactions: Gene K.
At the end of the day Lausch is a baseball player with a BASEBALL scholarship to play at ND and a PWO to play football. Does it matter if Iowa, Northwestern, or any other schools offer him a football scholarship? Keep in mind he will most likely be drafted in the MLB 2022 draft AND ND baseball staff has told him they don't see him being at ND beyond his junior year due to his baseball skills and "draft ability".
This is what was in the paper the other day

“If there is a school that comes and says, ‘We need a quarterback,’ and it is a high academic school with a great program, he’s going to consider that,” Badke said. “Obviously, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. But if someone says we have a football scholarship, he’s going to listen. It has to be the right fit, though.”

Reactions: Queen4
Kid wants to play QB at a power 5 school with high academics.
Baseball is out
NW is a great fit and he will start for at least 3 years maybe 4
NW just gained a fan
Go Cats

Reactions: corbi296 and Queen4
Kid wants to play QB at a power 5 school with high academics.
Baseball is out
NW is a great fit and he will start for at least 3 years maybe 4
NW just gained a fan
Go Cats
Doesn't matter what the papers say or what his football coach says.
Baseball is definitely NOT out.
Most football offers are NOT as a QB....he's being looked at as an DB.

Doesn't matter what the papers say or what his football coach says.
Baseball is definitely NOT out.
Most football offers are NOT as a QB....he's being looked at as an DB.

The information you provided is incorrect.

He is currently seeking a quarterback career in collegiate football.

Lausch is number 2 academically in his class. Why on earth would he leave a school like Notre Dame early to pursue a minor league baseball career? Why wouldn’t he wait until after he graduates? I guess how high of a draft pick he is may change his mind. But woukd t his worth just increase after graduation?

Bout Time!! Both Iowa and Northwestern have been whiffing on IL QBs… Whether it’s Gronoski lighting up FCS as a freshman, NCC QB rolling, or countless other examples of recent state QBs dominating but not getting big 10 love, both schools are desperate for a QB and I think Lausch may fit the bill.

This is a big big offer for both programs, took too long to get here, but gotta figure Lausch could be in the mix at both schools as early as next season. Not only are Iowa and NW at the bottom of big 10 for qb play, they are at the absolute bottom of the entire NCAA.

Reactions: UlbKA91
Lausch is number 2 academically in his class. Why on earth would he leave a school like Notre Dame early to pursue a minor league baseball career? Why wouldn’t he wait until after he graduates? I guess how high of a draft pick he is may change his mind. But woukd t his worth just increase after graduation?
Can always go back to finish your degree.

No the exact opposite
You have no leverage after graduation

Reactions: Bwm57
Can always go back to finish your degree.
And you can always stay in college ( when you’re very very smart) and graduate. I don’t see any upside for this kid to leave early for minor league baseball. And before anyone says leaving because the risk of injury. He wants to play football on top of baseball. So that argument would be moot otherwise he’d stay away from football completely. This kid has a very bright future ahead of him regardless. Wish him the best of luck whatever he chooses.

Reactions: Gene K.
Money
I don’t think you understand how the mlb draft works
Money isn’t an issue in this scenario. And I completely understand how the MLB draft works. The comments here are predicting this kid as very high pick out of high school and even higher by his sophomore year in college. I agree he’d be screwing himself if he was projected as a lower pick in the draft. That is not the case here. His stock will only rise.

Money isn’t an issue in this scenario. And I completely understand how the MLB draft works. The comments here are predicting this kid as very high pick out of high school and even higher by his sophomore year in college. I agree he’d be screwing himself if he was projected as a lower pick in the draft. That is not the case here. His stock will only rise.
You’re a third year college player. You get drafted and they offer you anything over 100k and all of a sudden the last year of a scholarship for 60k isn’t really necessary to play out.

You can always go back to school with your nest egg later.

I admire that this sounds like a competitor and wants to compete at QB at a high level. And I’m a much bigger football guy than baseball guy. But, all things being equal, I take a future in baseball any day over a future in football. Bigger contracts, guaranteed contracts, longer careers, easier on the body, more opportunities for entry level/minor league prep. Take the major league payday as soon as it is offered as long as it’s not at a round far lower than you think you can project to in 3 years.

Money is always an issue

Reactions: Bwm57 and USD24
Money is always an issue
Not in this scenario it isn’t. He’s got a full ride to college. I’m going off comments on this thread and where he’s projected to get drafted. I completely agree with you if he was projected as a lower round pick.

Not in this scenario it isn’t. He’s got a full ride to college. I’m going off comments on this thread and where he’s projected to get drafted. I completely agree with you if he was projected as a lower round pick.
Yeah a full ride for football to NW
Paying about 70% at ND

Reactions: mullin17
You’re a third year college player. You get drafted and they offer you anything over 100k and all of a sudden the last year of a scholarship for 60k isn’t really necessary to play out.

You can always go back to school with your nest egg later.

I admire that this sounds like a competitor and wants to compete at QB at a high level. And I’m a much bigger football guy than baseball guy. But, all things being equal, I take a future in baseball any day over a future in football. Bigger contracts, guaranteed contracts, longer careers, easier on the body, more opportunities for entry level/minor league prep. Take the major league payday as soon as it is offered as long as it’s not at a round far lower than you think you can project to in 3 years.
Finally, someone who gets it.
Trust me, he's staying at ND and his future is baseball.

Finally, someone who gets it.
Trust me, he's staying at ND and his future is baseball.
Third year players that get drafted and offered 100k are very late rounders and of course should never sign.
If you are a third year player that doesn’t get draft In the first 12 rounds you should come back to school

Third year players that get drafted and offered 100k and very late rounders and of course should never sign.
If you are a third year player that doesn’t get draft In the first 12 rounds you should come back to school
12 rounds? Don’t forget teams can offer less than the slot value to picks in the first 10 rounds in the form of signing bonus money. Nothing is guaranteed. Any idea what that number is for 2021? I don’t but I’m very curious as it pertains to this conversation.

Fellas
Players don’t get full rides for baseball, very rarely does that happen. If you get 50% you are a stud.
So if he signs with Northwestern he obviously signs for football. What does that mean for baseball? He does both? If so I’d say it’s a no brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT