ADVERTISEMENT

Kankakee's Parent Expectations

AmbroseBlack

Jul 10, 2016
From their Twitter:

"Moving forward parents/fans that have a concern with our coaches must wait 24 hours to speak with that coach. Any parent/fan who confronts a coach on the day of the game will result in a 12 month ban from all Kankakee Athletics events."

I know most parents are supportive but the few that are not can drive a coach to quit. I wonder how bad it got before they instituted this policy. Also, do you know other schools in the area with a similar policy?

From their Twitter:

"Moving forward parents/fans that have a concern with our coaches must wait 24 hours to speak with that coach. Any parent/fan who confronts a coach on the day of the game will result in a 12 month ban from all Kankakee Athletics events."

I know most parents are supportive but the few that are not can drive a coach to quit. I wonder how bad it got before they instituted this policy. Also, do you know other schools in the area with a similar policy?

Very interesting. It must be really bad to create a policy.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
In my experience coaching and seeing my sons and nephews play up through high school, I would unfortunately say “Most parents are supportive” is a big stretch. I’d say about 40% are supportive, 20% could either care less or are just happy their son is on the team, and the other 40% range from either extremely to slightly critical, ranging from their playing time, to how they are being used to how many offers they are getting compared to others....”How come this kid is tweeting he’s getting offers, my son is better then him, why aren’t you calling these colleges?” is a big one now....some are very sensitive to objective criticism of their son, especially if they know your right because that pisses them off more then if your wrong.....it’s just the age we live in.

I know a high school coach who had two parents text him during the game saying he should be getting their kid the ball….lol
I think if you ask 50 HS coaches 30 of them would claim receiving the mid game text unfortunately

In my experience coaching and seeing my sons and nephews play up through high school, I would unfortunately say “Most parents are supportive” is a big stretch. I’d say about 40% are supportive, 20% could either care less or are just happy their son is on the team, and the other 40% range from either extremely to slightly critical, ranging from their playing time, to how they are being used to how many offers they are getting compared to others....”How come this kid is tweeting he’s getting offers, my son is better then him, why aren’t you calling these colleges?” is a big one now....some are very sensitive to objective criticism of their son, especially if they know your right because that pisses them off more then if your wrong.....it’s just the age we live in.
I got out of coaching right before every player and parent had multiple social media accounts. I can't imagine the pressure coaches feel when a parent sees Player X post on Twitter about their 5th official offer, and they are looking at their child with none and their immediate response is to blame a coach.

Reactions: McCaravan
Having an active football coach in my family, this does happen. However, I'd be interested to see what the message was with the parents, athletes, staff, etc.. PRIOR to the season. When you set expectations up front, I think it can help alleviate some of these issues before they start. When you run your program the correct way, this seems to happen a lot less. I've watched this family member coach for 25+ years and I've never seen this happen. Winning helps too.

Our school has the 24 hour rule as well. No policy that I know of about the punishment if you break it, but the whole point is that everyone should relax their emotions before talking. That's good for coaches and players/parents alike. There is even a whole "chain of command" for complaints if you aren't happy with a coach's response.

Sad that it's necessary, but as an somewhat emotional parent myself, I can see where some have crossed lines before and necessitated the policy.

Our school has the 24 hour rule as well. No policy that I know of about the punishment if you break it, but the whole point is that everyone should relax their emotions before talking. That's good for coaches and players/parents alike. There is even a whole "chain of command" for complaints if you aren't happy with a coach's response.

Sad that it's necessary, but as an somewhat emotional parent myself, I can see where some have crossed lines before and necessitated the policy.
I met some pretty aggressive Kankakee parents so I completely understand the need for the rule. It's sad but, it is also the new way of life for some.

I've had an idea for a t-shirt for a long time. On the back it says: My kids not that bad... his coach is an idiot. On the front it says: COACH.

Reactions: net-se
I have seen a parent come down from the stands and MF a coach all the way from the stadium to the school. No admin stepped in.

I have seen a parent come down from the stands and MF a coach all the way from the stadium to the school. No admin stepped in.
Terrible . You have to be a real a hole to do something like that. I coached all the way until HS. I told my sons your on your own in HS. If you want to play you have to be the best of the best or you will be riding the bench. I never ever went to a practice or talked to the coach unless he wanted to talk to me. The bottom line it doesn’t matter what a parent says the coach is going to do what is best for the team and the player. I can’t imagine how pissed off my son would be if I ever said something to the coach.
Parents need to get a grip and let the kid grow up.

I played Little League Baseball for many years.One year we had a mandatory parents & player meeting.Coach Atko opened a box of our hats.Scanned the room & threw a hat at my dad,threw a hat at Mr Rummery & threw at hat at Mr Hoffman.He said Hoffman you are my scorekeeper & Art & Clyde my coaches.He said the rest of you sit & cheer for us & no bitching or you will not be allowed at the next game.

Kankakee has the talent to win state but won’t even get there.So they should be upset but how you deal with it?

Wilcox out something on Facebook earlier today talking about his concern at the AD there, something must have happened

Kankakee has the talent to win state but won’t even get there.So they should be upset but how you deal with How do you know they have
Kankakee has the talent to win state but won’t even get there.So they should be upset but how you deal with it?
How do you know they have be talent to win state? I didn’t know it was that easy.

What? Cmon man. There is a way to handle disagreements between players and coaches and it is NEVER after a game. This take sounds like you have experience, maybe you should step in and help.

Having an active football coach in my family, this does happen. However, I'd be interested to see what the message was with the parents, athletes, staff, etc.. PRIOR to the season.
While true, a lot of people are at places where parents do not show for those meetings.

How do you know they have be talent to win state? I didn’t know it was that easy.
Just ask the parents, they’ll tell you how “good” the team is lmao.

As far as I’m concerned, I never thought it was so necessary to tell parents to shut up before the season starts. Thought it was common sense. If the parents wana coach, they should’ve applied for the position when it was open.

Reactions: Gene K.
Also, they haven't lost a game since week one. Are we sure this is football related?

What happened to make this an issue? Was a coach assaulted, battered, interfered with? Even uninquiring minds want to know.

Futball vs football, but great story on this subject. A tony suburb's travel soccer team had a strict "no questioning" policy on which team a player was placed on following tryouts. After teams were announced one mom followed the coach from practice to his car, asking why her son was on the "B" team. Finally the exasperated coach stopped and told her, "Because we don't have a C team!"

Futball vs football, but great story on this subject. A tony suburb's travel soccer team had a strict "no questioning" policy on which team a player was placed on following tryouts. After teams were announced one mom followed the coach from practice to his car, asking why her son was on the "B" team. Finally the exasperated coach stopped and told her, "Because we don't have a C team!"
Travel soccer teams pay my wife and I to keep our daughters away so they don’t have to have these conversations with us.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I think it is football because the twitter message in the OP was a picture of the football team...soooo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT