ADVERTISEMENT

Joliet Catholic Academy

They actually will have additional space. It is a 17 acre campus. The target is 350-400 per class. So roughly 1500 kids. I am not sure if they test on the same day like Ignatius. Who knows. I just think it is a viable option for those on the fringe....BUT, I really underestimated their tuition. It is close to 16k!
Ah, but do they want to be bigger than their current facility comfortably holds? Do they want to raise and spend a bunch of money to expand so soon after they built out their present facility? They are everybody's darling now, but will the bloom fall off the rose or will they exhibit staying power? Enquiring minds want to know!

There was a time when, in the same general vicinity as DPP, Gordon Tech had 2,700 boys with a relatively new and state of the art facility. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Hofman
I think they have found that sweet spot between Loyola and Ignatius- Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc They also have a new facility, a new football stadium and a new gym/pool on the way. I believe they had 900+ test this year. They have financial backing and very good leadership (not to mention a great AD hahahaha)For us, it's at least in consideration.
DPP is the likely choice for our two grandsons as the are in Roscoe Village but the parents aren't ruling out Lane Tech either. Still that's five years away. It's nice they now have a Catholic prep school that close!

Really great counterpoints, JCH. You do realize that you are trying to argue that great leadership is not all that important or that it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things, right? Tough argument to make.

As for Hales and Mt. Assisi, I hear ya, but who is to say that they wouldn't still be around if they had been more proactive or if they had been prescient enough to identify the first of the thousand cuts for what they were and took prompt and effective action to adapt to a changing situation? What if Mt Assisi beat Providence and JCHS and SFA to the punch and went coed first? How would that have changed the dynamic in the far southwest burbs? How would that have changed what all girl Providence did by accepting boys when they did? Not suggesting that they should have done that but I think it would be hard to argue that their trajectory after that would have been similar to how it turned out as an all girls school to the end.
Good points. I don’t mean to minimize leadership. It can obviously be important and can likely be one of the biggest factors in a school’s success.

In the scenarios presented I agree with you that good vision can likely stem the rise of negative currents against the school. Maybe provide a little buffer or insulation to the turbulence.

I think my larger point is that leadership is more impactful and can have a bigger impact in an area that is more dense and “cosmopolitan.”

The principals and boards at BCC, McNamara, and Boylan are for more limited in their finite resources and population to draw from. Doesn’t mean good leadership can’t help. But if you put Dwight Eisenhower in charge of Bishop McNamara, his wise stewardship is likely good for 15 more students enrolled given the finite resources of the Kankakee/Bradley/Bourbonnais metro area.

15 students can be a big deal at McNamara no doubt. But good decisions at Brother Rice or Rita can be good for dozens if not 100 more students.

definitely headwinds for all private schools these days. It’s best for all of them to keep a healthy base of all private schools.

Reactions: Hofman
True, both Benet and Providence also serve more of a diaspora from parts of older suburbs and going back into old city neighborhoods (when Benet was St. Procopius), I get the impression JCA was for native Joliet, Providence was for CCLers who moved to the LW Lockport and Orland area.
I agree I think what saved JCA in the end was the explosion of Plainfield and Shorewood. Kids wanting a Catholic education or great athletics went to JCA vs. Provi. My friend the JC business manager talked with me one time about football in particular and I remember he totally backed up your point. He said that there is not as much football tug of war between the two schools as I had thought at the time. He mentioned exactly what you said for Provi and what I mentioned about Plainfield/Shorewood explosion being our pull.

Ah, but do they want to be bigger than their current facility comfortably holds? Do they want to raise and spend a bunch of money to expand so soon after they built out their present facility? They are everybody's darling now, but will the bloom fall off the rose or will they exhibit staying power? Enquiring minds want to know!

There was a time when, in the same general vicinity as DPP, Gordon Tech had 2,700 boys with a relatively new and state of the art facility. Just sayin'.
Hey Ramblinman I missed something somewhere. What school are you talking about please?? Who is everyones darling?

Ah, but do they want to be bigger than their current facility comfortably holds?
Yes. Plan is to grow.
Do they want to raise and spend a bunch of money to expand so soon after they built out their present facility?
They are raising a good amount of money currently and, from what I've heard, have some large donors. There is clearly a demand, as is indicated by the testing numbers. And as CPS continues to shoot their own foot, that may increase the schools popularity. The infrastructure is already there- it is the old DeVry campus. New gym will be built soon.
Will they exhibit staying power?
I believe that they will have staying power. There is a need for a coed college prep Catholic school in that area. Some of these areas are pretty affluent. And there are many Catholic grade schools that feed into DPP-St Andrew, St Ben's, Queen of Angels, St Alphonsus, St Clements, St Mathias to name a few. I know a lot of people on the Northside are looking at DePaul as an option. Plus Tommy K is HC of hoops and the football team, well, it's making strides....large frosh team last year and a beautiful baseball stadium right next-door.

I think a few factors play into this. Those neighborhoods used to be sort of transient. Younger people would move there and move out in a few years. More and more have stayed. Condos turned to homes. Plus you potentially have a whole new neighborhood nearby being resurrected- Lincoln Yards. I sound like a marketing professional for DePaul!

The declining enrollment in private schools has been a trend for private schools for a number of years. I've served on a private Christian School Board twice in the last 15 years and we've had the discussion of declining enrollment and what to do about reversing that trend many times. The three primary factors that I see are the following, each of which likely contributes to the end result.

1) Cost of tuition - No doubt the cost of tuition is difficult for a number of families, but tuition cost has always been a factor for a certain % of constituent families. I also believe the high cost of college education plays a role because families paying for private education for 12 years prior to college have far less ability to save for college.

2) Lack of Parent Commitment to Private Education - Many parents are no longer committed to sending their children to a Christian or Catholic school. Back in the 70's, 80's, etc., Christian education was a major priority for many of our families. Years ago, many families prioritized school over vacations or other non-essentials and sacrificed to make it happen. My parents certainly did. They made Christian education a top priority for their children. That commitment has waned or left entirely in a sizable % of alumni and families.

3) Quality Public Schools - There are some great public school options that now draw kids away that historically would have enrolled. When the lack of parent commitment exists, having this option makes it much easier to send your kids to public schools that have great facilities, sports teams, technology, etc.

I agree I think what saved JCA in the end was the explosion of Plainfield and Shorewood. Kids wanting a Catholic education or great athletics went to JCA vs. Provi. My friend the JC business manager talked with me one time about football in particular and I remember he totally backed up your point. He said that there is not as much football tug of war between the two schools as I had thought at the time. He mentioned exactly what you said for Provi and what I mentioned about Plainfield/Shorewood explosion being our pull.
Those suburbs have opened up some enrollment, but at the same time when Joliet lifted their residency requirement for city workers that also sent many traditional catholic families in to those areas and out of sending their kids to JCA

Those suburbs have opened up some enrollment, but at the same time when Joliet lifted their residency requirement for city workers that also sent many traditional catholic families in to those areas and out of sending their kids to JCA
That's a really good point.

Discussion of the rationale behind the Benedictine monks resigning from operating Benet Academy may lead this thread toward the restroom. But if there are parents that feel woke won up there, would they look at JCA if they were in southern DuPage, upper Will County?
I am a Benet parent and will move my freshman to another school next year. If I was closer I would consider JCA but will look at St Francis, Chesterton, or public school. Most Benet parents are still figuring out what to do and still in shock but would hope those close to JCA would consider them.

Reactions: UlbKA91 and USD24
I am a Benet parent and will move my freshman to another school next year. If I was closer I would consider JCA but will look at St Francis, Chesterton, or public school. Most Benet parents are still figuring out what to do and still in shock but would hope those close to JCA would consider them.
Overall, what is the feeling of Benet parents in regards to the most recent developments? Do you feel it will have any significant effect on Benet and their enrollment?

Overall, what is the feeling of Benet parents in regards to the most recent developments? Do you feel it will have any significant effect on Benet and their enrollment?
All depends on your view points. Conservative ones will pull their kids like us. Plus this could lead to a big tuition increase which could drive people out too.

Interesting question will be if they end up turning into a non-Catholic school will the Catholic League kick them out.

The declining enrollment in private schools has been a trend for private schools for a number of years. I've served on a private Christian School Board twice in the last 15 years and we've had the discussion of declining enrollment and what to do about reversing that trend many times. The three primary factors that I see are the following, each of which likely contributes to the end result.

1) Cost of tuition - No doubt the cost of tuition is difficult for a number of families, but tuition cost has always been a factor for a certain % of constituent families. I also believe the high cost of college education plays a role because families paying for private education for 12 years prior to college have far less ability to save for college.

2) Lack of Parent Commitment to Private Education - Many parents are no longer committed to sending their children to a Christian or Catholic school. Back in the 70's, 80's, etc., Christian education was a major priority for many of our families. Years ago, many families prioritized school over vacations or other non-essentials and sacrificed to make it happen. My parents certainly did. They made Christian education a top priority for their children. That commitment has waned or left entirely in a sizable % of alumni and families.

3) Quality Public Schools - There are some great public school options that now draw kids away that historically would have enrolled. When the lack of parent commitment exists, having this option makes it much easier to send your kids to public schools that have great facilities, sports teams, technology, etc.
City of Chicago is doing their best to eliminate #3 from your list.

Agree VLight. But the beautiful Plainfield schools as far as football only is concerned, they do not seem to be stealing (bad phrase) keeping their stars away from JCA as much as Lincolnway has kept their stars away from Provi.

I'm coming into this conversation late - the experience here in the Quad Cities is somewhat similar with Alleman in Rock Island. Enrollment has been declining for some time, but recently it has fallen off a cliff. There are significant internal disputes (I'm not an Alleman insider and I'm not going to get into that), the local public schools are getting better facilities, and Davenport Assumption is also picking off some Alleman kids. There is significant concern about whether Alleman will be able to go on much longer.

All depends on your view points. Conservative ones will pull their kids like us. Plus this could lead to a big tuition increase which could drive people out too.

Interesting question will be if they end up turning into a non-Catholic school will the Catholic League kick them out.
What would lead to the tuition increase? Their donation was only $50k.

What would lead to tuition increases? Depends on a bunch of things. First among them is Benet's governance structure. Who owns Benet? An independent governing board or the Benedictines of St. Procopius Abbey? Secondly, who owns the land on which Benet sits? The buildings? Does an independent Benet now need to factor paying rent to St. Procopius Abbey into its operating budget?

If the Abbey owns the approx 40 acres of land for the school's main campus, will the Abbey want to sell the land to the highest bidder to secure their own financial future? Around 10 yeas ago, Benet bought a 10 acre parcel of land just down the street from its main campus and paid $2.5 million for it. Anyone want to venture a guess on how much their 40+ acre campus would fetch today? If the monks own it, they would probably love to sell it now that they are divorcing themselves from Benet. Either through selling it or receiving rent for it, the monks are going to be in the driver's seat and Benet is going to have to pay.

The $50K is peanuts, as you imply. The bigger issues are the potential increased operating and capital expenses based on being independent from the Abbey.

Last edited:
I agree with some of what you said . However. I think a lot of the “just have great leadership and dream big” rhetoric minimizes the reality most schools face. I don’t think different leadership changes the outcome for Hales Franciscan or Mount Assisi. Even if they had a grand vision and outspent their shoestring budget, the narrative would simply be that they couldn’t live within a reasonable budget and, thus, had to close.

MAA had a grand vision towards the end, but you have to be able to pay for it. Even then, once enrollment starts to dip, people start to consider whether they want to risk sending their kids to a school that they might not be able to finish at. The rumors of a school closing might be unfounded except then the rumors lead to the school closing. A bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

As for Hales and Mt. Assisi, I hear ya, but who is to say that they wouldn't still be around if they had been more proactive or if they had been prescient enough to identify the first of the thousand cuts for what they were and took prompt and effective action to adapt to a changing situation? What if Mt Assisi beat Providence and JCHS and SFA to the punch and went coed first? How would that have changed the dynamic in the far southwest burbs?

MAA going coed in their existing facilities would have been very difficult. Restrooms and locker rooms would have both been problems. There wasn't an obvious merge target such was the case with Laurence and Peace, so they would have had to just recruit boys and I think it would be very hard to get that first crop of boys in the door.

Mount Assisi certainly could have been more proactive. Their last President had a bunch of spaces remodelled and lights changed which really improved those areas. After they closed, the sisters did a bunch of work to convert the space into the retreat center. Had all of that happened 6-8 years sooner, would the story be different? Probably. It might not have pulled them out of the enrollment nose dive completely, but it certainly would have given them a longer runway to figure things out.

All of that though, is a mask for the larger topic, which others have also referenced. Church attendance in the US is down. The number of people that are attaching themselves or participating in organized religion is at an all time low. Some schools are able to survive it, at least right now, due to a variety of things: large endowments, consolidation, and stepping away from attaching to a single religion and going a bit more generic (ie: Catholic -> Christian, or even Christian -> private). As long as organized religion continues to shrink, I think your parochial schools will also feel pressure.

MAA going coed in their existing facilities would have been very difficult. Restrooms and locker rooms would have both been problems. There wasn't an obvious merge target such was the case with Laurence and Peace, so they would have had to just recruit boys and I think it would be very hard to get that first crop of boys in the door.
Sometimes, a school needs to have the vision and leadership necessary to make those very difficult decisions. Going from single gender to coed in the same facility has been done many times in just this market alone (Loyola, Ignatius, Fenwick, Viator, Marist, Gordon Tech, Providence-St.Mel, Nazareth, etc.) so, while difficult, it isn't impossible.

As you stated, the sisters found a way to convert MAA into the retreat center. I bet some of that work included renovating bathrooms and the locker room.

Sometimes, a school needs to have the vision and leadership necessary to make those very difficult decisions. Going from single gender to coed in the same facility has been done many times in just this market alone (Loyola, Ignatius, Fenwick, Viator, Marist, Gordon Tech, Providence-St.Mel, Nazareth, etc.) so, while difficult, it isn't impossible.

As you stated, the sisters found a way to convert MAA into the retreat center. I bet some of that work included renovating bathrooms and the locker room.
I sometimes think this was the move Rita should have made, although the Quigley S (or a play for Luther South's campus) was probably best at the time for tapping into the BMG market and still being within shorter distance to it's older recruiting grounds.

Actually, no. Locker rooms were left unchanged. Bathrooms on each floor the last time I visited were a large, multi-stall restroom and then an individual restroom.

What would lead to tuition increases? Depends on a bunch of things. First among them is Benet's governance structure. Who owns Benet? An independent governing board or the Benedictines of St. Procopius Abbey? Secondly, who owns the land on which Benet sits? The buildings? Does an independent Benet now need to factor paying rent to St. Procopius Abbey into its operating budget?

If the Abbey owns the approx 40 acres of land for the school's main campus, will the Abbey want to sell the land to the highest bidder to secure their own financial future? Around 10 yeas ago, Benet bought a 10 acre parcel of land just down the street from its main campus and paid $2.5 million for it. Anyone want to venture a guess on how much their 40+ acre campus would fetch today? If the monks own it, they would probably love to sell it now that they are divorcing themselves from Benet. Either through selling it or receiving rent for it, the monks are going to be in the driver's seat and Benet is going to have to pay.

The $50K is peanuts, as you imply. The bigger issues are the potential increased operating and capital expenses based on being independent from the Abbey.
Thank you for this.

Reactions: ChampaignSipper
The abuse scandals played a major role in driving down enrollment, driving people from the pews, and driving them away from the faith. Going back to the Middle Ages, when the Inquisition burned 150,000 at the stake, the Church has a long history of the most ungodly criminal behavior.

Last edited:
Did they only give $50k? Benet donor levels stop and $50k and above so in theory you could give $1million but will only be listed at $50k and above. Below is how the new article reads, I could be wrong but I'm guessing its more than $50k they are giving.

St. Procopius Abbey founded the high school more than 120 years ago and is one of its biggest donors, giving at least $50,000 to the school during the 2019-20 academic year.

Did they only give $50k? Benet donor levels stop and $50k and above so in theory you could give $1million but will only be listed at $50k and above. Below is how the new article reads, I could be wrong but I'm guessing its more than $50k they are giving.

St. Procopius Abbey founded the high school more than 120 years ago and is one of its biggest donors, giving at least $50,000 to the school during the 2019-20 academic year.
Could be . I read it very quickly .

It might not all be in cash. Some of it might be services in kind.

From what I have been told the monks own the land and that could be where the big added costs come from - what if they force the school to buy the land or rent it at market price. Also, is there any chance if they are no longer a Catholic school they could lose their tax exempt status and have to pay property taxes. Also, need to replace the monks that were teaching at the school - not that many do, but still probably $300,000 in extra personnel costs.

And if the schools name changes all signage needs replaced, two gym floors need replaced, and all sports team need new uniforms at all levels home and away.

Even if just 20% of the school transafers, 200 plus kids at $13,000 a pop, around $3 MM in lost revenue that the rest of the school would have to make-up.

Depends on how it plays out potentially one of the most expensive coaches in high school history.

From what I have been told the monks own the land and that could be where the big added costs come from - what if they force the school to buy the land or rent it at market price. Also, is there any chance if they are no longer a Catholic school they could lose their tax exempt status and have to pay property taxes. Also, need to replace the monks that were teaching at the school - not that many do, but still probably $300,000 in extra personnel costs.

And if the schools name changes all signage needs replaced, two gym floors need replaced, and all sports team need new uniforms at all levels home and away.

Even if just 20% of the school transafers, 200 plus kids at $13,000 a pop, around $3 MM in lost revenue that the rest of the school would have to make-up.

Depends on how it plays out potentially one of the most expensive coaches in high school history.
There's no chance they will not be a Catholic school. They just won't be under the auspices of the monks from the abbey.

Also, I count four Benedictines in their staff directory. The chances are good that they are paid the same as other teachers with similar academic qualifications. The abbey may donate back a portion of their salaries, but I would be surprised if they earned less than other teachers and stunned if they worked for nothing.

Last edited:
There's no chance they will not be a Catholic school. They just won't be under the auspices of the monks from the abbey.

Also, I count four Benedictines in their staff directory. The chances are good that they are paid the same as other teachers with similar academic qualifications. The abbey may donate back a portion of their salaries, but I would be surprised if they earned less than other teachers and stunned if they worked for nothing.
we have Ben Bradley on our hands I see - no connection to BA but an expert on the school.

What order is going to take over the school? Even if another order wants to take over the school the Benedictines will want paid for the land. You think the Joliet diocese has the money, time, or desire to take over a high school.

we have Ben Bradley on our hands I see - no connection to BA but an expert on the school.

What order is going to take over the school? Even if another order wants to take over the school the Benedictines will want paid for the land. You think the Joliet diocese has the money, time, or desire to take over a high school.
Hey slow your roll.

Never claimed to be an expert on BA. But I do know more than a thing or two about how Catholic high schools work in general.

What order will take over the school? No idea. Probably no order at all. Ever heard of Noonan Academy in Mokena? It's a PK-8 Catholic school completely independent of a parish or a religious order and recognized by the Catholic Diocese of Joliet.

East Lake Academy in Lake Forest is very similar to Noonan in that they are Catholic and independent of any parish or religious congregation. It has canonical approval by the Archdiocese of Chicago and is listed in the Official Catholic Directory.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a time after the Holy Cross priests discontinued their association with Notre Dame College Prep and before the Holy Cross brothers decided to make it one of their apostolates when Notre Dame operated as a Catholic independent school.

The point in the three examples above is that there is precedent for Catholic schools to operate without the sponsorship of a religious organization or the diocese. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples across the country of the same thing. It's not like there are no independent Catholic schools out there. The other point is to underscore my previous point which is that there is no way that Benet doesn't operate as a Catholic school. It will find a way, and the Joliet Diocese will find a way to recognize them as Catholic.

Do I think that the Joliet Diocese has the money, time, or desire to take over a high school? Again, no idea. But do you know that they don't? And, even if they don't, they will get involved to some degree. There's too much money in the BA community to piss off if the Diocese is viewed by the community as being difficult or uncooperative.

Last edited:
Hey slow your roll.

Never claimed to be an expert on BA. But I do know more than a thing or two about how Catholic high schools work in general.

What order will take over the school? No idea. Probably no order at all. Ever heard of Noonan Academy in Mokena? It's a PK-8 Catholic school completely independent of a parish or a religious order and recognized by the Catholic Diocese of Joliet.

East Lake Academy in Lake Forest is very similar to Noonan in that they are Catholic and independent of any parish or religious congregation. It has canonical approval by the Archdiocese of Chicago and is listed in the Official Catholic Directory.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a time after the Holy Cross priests discontinued their association with Notre Dame College Prep and before the Holy Cross brothers decided to make it one of their apostolates when Notre Dame operated as a Catholic independent school.

The point in the three examples above is that there is precedent for Catholic schools to operate without the sponsorship of a religious organization or the diocese. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples across the country of the same thing. It's not like there are no independent Catholic schools out there. The other point is to underscore my previous point which is that there is no way that Benet doesn't operate as a Catholic school. It will find a way, and the Joliet Diocese will find a way to recognize them as Catholic.

Do I think that the Joliet Diocese has the money, time, or desire to take over a high school? Again, no idea. But do you know that they don't? And, even if they don't, they will get involved to some degree. There's too much money in the BA community to piss off if the Diocese is viewed by the community as being difficult or uncooperative.
When the Holy Cross Priests and Brothers left NDCP, a lay board and Fr. Smyth took over the operation of the school. Since we had no Catholic sponsorship we had to fall under the guidance of the Chicago Archdiocese. After a short run with the Arch. , the board sought out the Holy Cross Brothers for sponsorship.
A similar situation has happened with Resurrection the last few years when the nuns pulled out over there. Res. is now under the sponsorship of the Lasallian Christian Brothers.

Hey slow your roll.

Bishop Mac is also a diocesan high school.

There's no requirement for Benet to be owned by an order or parish.

I was just enjoying killing some retirement time by watching a nostalgic JCHS 1976 Championship game. Something hit me in the first minutes. The announcers listed the 2 schools enrollments and that year we had about 1400 boys only. Fast forward to day and I think co-ed enrollment is around 600. I am curious to your theories as to what happened? Was it just us or most Catholic schools? It certainly is not families to pull from since Will County has exploded since the 70's. Is it:
1) cost of tuition?
2) better public school systems now?
3) lack of Catholic parents to care if there child has a Catholic upbringing?
4( was it Provi?
5) something else?
I am at a loss and interested in public and private school poster theories. Maybe just a JCHS education went downhill.
I seem to recall back in the 5 Class era in the 70's, the IHSA determined class placement by the overall average enrollment by conference size. All male schools had their enrollments doubled at that time, which would explain the larger enrollment number that they mention. I still believe that placed schools more appropriately in November. It basically placed you at the same level for the playoffs as what you competed in during the regular season. At least that's how i remember it...............

Last edited:
I think the idea of Benet now being charged for the land could really put the school in jeopardy if they do not already own it.

Benet's estimated revenue is 27M per year. About half of that comes from tuition and the rest from investments and donations. I think it could afford to rent the place and probably buy it outright.

As others have pointed out, the school draws from an affluent community, and gives preference to legacy students, especially, no doubt, to those who pay full freight.

My brother, who has a lot of money, sent his daughter there. She was offered a full ride from Tulane, a half ride from Notre Dame, and she ended up going to WashU in St. Louis, which didn't give her anything.

Reactions: crusaderpride
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT