ADVERTISEMENT

Joliet Catholic Academy

Hofman

Nov 8, 2001
I was just enjoying killing some retirement time by watching a nostalgic JCHS 1976 Championship game. Something hit me in the first minutes. The announcers listed the 2 schools enrollments and that year we had about 1400 boys only. Fast forward to day and I think co-ed enrollment is around 600. I am curious to your theories as to what happened? Was it just us or most Catholic schools? It certainly is not families to pull from since Will County has exploded since the 70's. Is it:
1) cost of tuition?
2) better public school systems now?
3) lack of Catholic parents to care if there child has a Catholic upbringing?
4( was it Provi?
5) something else?
I am at a loss and interested in public and private school poster theories. Maybe just a JCHS education went downhill.

What was tuition in 1976? 1k

Today's tuition has to be up or above 10k.

I assume the growth of the area, especially for the public schools, like all the Lincoln-Ways and the Plainfields, with their fancy news facilities and free tuition has definitely taken kids away from the Hill..m

Springfield has a similar situation. Until Ursuline closed in 2008, there were two Catholic high schools in town with a combined enrollment of at least 900. When a relative graduated from SHG about 10 years ago, her graduating class size was at least 175-185. Per Ratsy, SHG’s enrollment is now barely above 500.

Tuition is an issue, but I also see less church attendance, smaller families, and close viable public education options as other factors. I would guess the average parishioner at the church my wife and I attend in Springfield is over 65, and you see few families there with children.

What was tuition in 1976? 1k

Today's tuition has to be up or above 10k.

I assume the growth of the area, especially for the public schools, like all the Lincoln-Ways and the Plainfields, with their fancy news facilities and free tuition has definitely taken kids away from the Hill..m
I seem to remember in 75 my Sr .yr. being right at 3K. Not sure but I think it may be 12 or 13 now. Great points!

I was just enjoying killing some retirement time by watching a nostalgic JCHS 1976 Championship game. Something hit me in the first minutes. The announcers listed the 2 schools enrollments and that year we had about 1400 boys only. Fast forward to day and I think co-ed enrollment is around 600.
I think they got their numbers mixed up and wrong. When I started my freshman year in 1977 our class was about 165 boys and I remember that the 3 upper classes were about the same size, maybe a little bigger. So that means their where about 660 boys at JCHS in 1977 which sounds right from what I remember, not 1,400. That number was used for our enrollment and included the girls from St. Francis, or boys times 2. Hopefully that made sense.

Another reason is no more huge Catholic famalies, there were many families back then that had between 6-14 kids per family. That many kids is totally unheard of today.

Last edited:
I think they got their numbers mixed up and wrong. When I started my freshman year in 1977 our class was about 165 boys and I remember that the 3 upper classes were about the same size, maybe a little bigger. So that means their where about 660 boys at JCHS in 1977 which sounds right from what I remember, not 1,400. That number was used for our enrollment and included the girls from St. Francis, or boys times 2. Hopefully that made sense.

Another reason is no more huge Catholic famalies, there where many families back then that had between 6-14 kids per family. That many kids is totally unheard of today.
Yep. 2 simple reasons. Economics and family realities.

most of those families with 5-12 kids now have 1 to 2 with the outlier having 3 or 4.

then the economic realities led to massive cost increases. Back when you could have a staff with clergy comprising 20 to 60 percent of the faculty, costs were really low as priests from the order cost the institution next to nothing. Now with faculty being nearly 100 percent lay people, even a rock bottom salary around 30k likely costs the school probably 60k or more in benefits and salary combined. And that leads to increasing tuition which leads to smaller enrollment.

and then you add the shrinking size of reliable Catholic families as well as some local publics improving their programming and you get the environment 90 percent of Catholic schools across the country find themselves in today.

I seem to remember in 75 my Sr .yr. being right at 3K. Not sure but I think it may be 12 or 13 now. Great points!
3k for tuition in ‘75? I don’t think that’s possible. Tuition @ MC (Carmelites) in late ‘80’s was only $1,400.

My oldest started SHG in 1989, tuition was $1,750.00 and just under 900 kids. Now tuition just under $10,000.00. It was hard on us then but carpenters, plumbers State workers etc. could send their kids. Now it seems the parents are primarily those with professional degrees. I see SHG grads who stayed in the area sending their kids to Rochester & Glenwood with many not even going to church. My boys don't live here but neither do their families go to church. Of our two daughters the one in Chicago sends their kids to Catholic school but the one in NC has hers in public.

3k for tuition in ‘75? I don’t think that’s possible. Tuition @ MC (Carmelites) in late ‘80’s was only $1,400.
Yeah I thought that sounded really high also. I thought I remembered more like $850 and slightly lower with multiple kids. I'm pretty sure my family could not have afforded 3K back then in the 70's.

Reactions: Hofman and MC2023
I was just enjoying killing some retirement time by watching a nostalgic JCHS 1976 Championship game. Something hit me in the first minutes. The announcers listed the 2 schools enrollments and that year we had about 1400 boys only. Fast forward to day and I think co-ed enrollment is around 600. I am curious to your theories as to what happened? Was it just us or most Catholic schools? It certainly is not families to pull from since Will County has exploded since the 70's. Is it:
1) cost of tuition?
4( was it Provi?
5) something else?
I am at a loss and interested in public and private school poster theories. Maybe just a JCHS education went downhill.
In 1976, after your Hilltoppers played the Danville Vikings in the 4A game, the St Laurence Vikings defeated the Glenbard West Hilltoppers in 5A. Back to back Vikings v Hilltoppers matchups. But my point is the same. In 76, we had close to 1700 boys and now today I’m guessing a coed enrollment of 600 maybe. Changing demographics and rising tuition costs among other factors of course.

Reactions: Hofman
In 1976, after your Hilltoppers played the Danville Vikings in the 4A game, the St Laurence Vikings defeated the Glenbard West Hilltoppers in 5A. Back to back Vikings v Hilltoppers matchups. But my point is the same. In 76, we had close to 1700 boys and now today I’m guessing a coed enrollment of 600 maybe. Changing demographics and rising tuition costs among other factors of course.
Ernie Wulff delivered that day!!

Reactions: Hofman and tmjgrady
1) cost of tuition?
4( was it Provi?
5) something else?
My guess, tuition. Catholic schools, IMO, are definitely pricing out some of the students they used to get. I know inflation is involved, but I would be curious to see how much the price increase has out paced inflation. It is going to be a difficult decision for many moving forward and, ultimately, will lead to the demise of Catholic HS education. I know it hits very close to home for us as we have kids getting to that age. How we justify 15-20k (or figure out how to pay) a year per child is what I am asking myself.

Reactions: Hofman and Gene K.
If the Hub Arkush- Aaron Rodgers brouhaha could be woven into the Bears thread...what effect on enrollment, athletics, and thusly football could result of operational changes at another ESCC school several miles directly north? That school might be on a different enrollment/target student track than JCA, but might be tangentially relevant.

If the Hub Arkush- Aaron Rodgers brouhaha could be woven into the Bears thread...what effect on enrollment, athletics, and thusly football could result of operational changes at another ESCC school several miles directly north? That school might be on a different enrollment/target student track than JCA, but might be tangentially relevant.
I don’t know that there is much overlap between students considering Benet and those considering JCA. Plainfield could be a battleground there, but even then I think where you live In Plainfield and what sports you play likely would dictate that decision for most families. Outside of volleyball, likely not much direct competition for Plainfield kids between Benet and JCA.

Benet is like Providence in that they have somewhat of a geographic edge over JC in that their surrounding communities likely have more families with the disposable Income needed for private high school tuition, but that had been true for 20 or 30 years.

Reactions: Hofman and Gene K.
I have said this about a bazillion times here but it bears repeating: Private schools, and faith based schools in particular, are going through a Darwinian process. That is to say that if they don't adapt/evolve quickly enough to changing circumstances, if they are more reactive than proactive, if they don't spend money to make money in terms of fundraising and achieving a strong financial footing, then they will not survive. Period.

I have also said quite frequently that private schools that wind up closing typically endure death by a thousand cuts. Those cuts are the equivalent of enrollment decreases that, when you look at them on an annual basis, seem relatively painless. Because they are relatively painless, the schools take relatively painless measures to try to stop or reverse the decreases. To continue the bleeding metaphor, they use a tourniquet or a bigger bandaid to treat the cut but they don't treat the underlying causes of the bleeding. They wait too long to amputate a limb or to try a drastic and promising new treatment. The years turn into decades and, before you know it, what they knew at the time was unsustainable in terms of enrollment declines in the long term results in nothing left to sustain.

The above is speaking in general terms. While the gist of it applies to most, it does not apply to all. There are examples, right here in our state, of private schools that have either successfully reinvented themselves or have simply started brand new with an attractive and affordable educational model. The Cristo Rey schools (Cristo Rey Jesuit, Christ the King Jesuit, and Cristo Rey St. Martin) come to mind as good examples of successful startup high schools. San Miguel School and Chicago Jesuit Academy are good examples of successful middle school startups. DePaul Prep is a good example of reinvention driven by great leadership.

The key to the above is leadership. Not just good leadership, but great leadership that sets high expectations and motivates the school community to exceed them. In order to thrive, a private school needs great volunteer leadership in the form of a governing board that knows its mission is to advance and enhance the school's mission. It needs board members who know they need to give, to get, or to git! It needs great academic leadership that is consistent, effective, proactive, and responsive to the needs of the greater school community.

The problem with many private schools and Catholic schools in particular is that they operate on a shoestring budget and have done so for decades. They can't figure out how to climb out of that space between a rock and hard place. So, they make do. They cut corners. They squeeze themselves in between a bigger rock and a harder place, creating a tighter space from which it becomes increasingly difficult to find a way out. And, in doing that, they get what they pay for. They get ineffective marketing efforts that produce enrollment declines. They get lackluster fundraising efforts that don't maximize the giving potential of their constituents. They get a revolving door of mediocre academic leaders. Mediocrity begets mediocrity.

Sure, all those things (rising tuition, smaller Catholic families, etc.) that others have mentioned in this thread are factors. But, the fact that some schools are super fit and healthy while many are in an early, middle, or late stage of bleeding out makes me think that those other factors are not as important as the leadership factor. Great leadership is the common element that you will find in those successful schools.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I don’t know that there is much overlap between students considering Benet and those considering JCA. Plainfield could be a battleground there, but even then I think where you live In Plainfield and what sports you play likely would dictate that decision for most families. Outside of volleyball, likely not much direct competition for Plainfield kids between Benet and JCA.

Benet is like Providence in that they have somewhat of a geographic edge over JC in that their surrounding communities likely have more families with the disposable Income needed for private high school tuition, but that had been true for 20 or 30 years.
True, both Benet and Providence also serve more of a diaspora from parts of older suburbs and going back into old city neighborhoods (when Benet was St. Procopius), I get the impression JCA was for native Joliet, Providence was for CCLers who moved to the LW Lockport and Orland area.

My guess, tuition. Catholic schools, IMO, are definitely pricing out some of the students they used to get. I know inflation is involved, but I would be curious to see how much the price increase has out paced inflation. It is going to be a difficult decision for many moving forward and, ultimately, will lead to the demise of Catholic HS education. I know it hits very close to home for us as we have kids getting to that age. How we justify 15-20k (or figure out how to pay) a year per child is what I am asking myself.
I'm not as convinced about tuition as you are. Tuition has ALWAYS been complained about. Even when it was peanuts because the schools didn't have to pay a living wage to all the priests and nuns and brothers, people complained.

I get that tuition is a factor that limits many families. But I also think that many private schools are committed to find ways to work with families who genuinely struggle with tuition.

Quite honestly, I think there are plenty of public school families out there who can afford tuition and who, if they were to change their minds and send their kids to private schools, would result in long waiting lists at those schools.

I'm not as convinced about tuition as you are. Tuition has ALWAYS been complained about. Even when it was peanuts because the schools didn't have to pay a living wage to all the priests and nuns and brothers, people complained.

I get that tuition is a factor that limits many families. But I also think that many private schools are committed to find ways to work with families who genuinely struggle with tuition.

Quite honestly, I think there are plenty of public school families out there who can afford tuition and who, if they were to change their minds and send their kids to private schools, would result in long waiting lists at those schools.
I guess I would agree to disagree here. Particularly on the Northside of Chicago- Rogers Park, Edgebrook, Sauganash, Eddison Park, etc. Lots of kids who would traditionally go to Loyola, are now looking at places like DePaul and Notre Dame because of that price tag/improving schools. I do agree Loyola is willing to work with families financially, but nonetheless, it is a steep financial commitment to make.

The other factor is that wages are not going up at the same pace as tuitions. I believe Loyola increases at 3.5% annually (correct me if I am wrong). People simply don't have that amount of money to send their kids to a Loyola. This is what I mean by pricing out the middle. Which stinks.....If you have a way around this would love to hear :) Now if you are talking North Shore and some of the burbs northwest, maybe their parents have that disposable income....I do not know.

Another reason is no more huge Catholic famalies, there where many families back then that had between 6-14 kids per family. That many kids is totally unheard of today.

Another reason is no more huge Catholic famalies, there were many families back then that had between 6-14 kids per family. That many kids is totally unheard of today.
Ok Kevin great point and starts to shed some light. I graduated in 75 and my class had 216 plus or minus 3 because I was very focused on College and my family poor so I needed some college scholarships. So being anal retentive I remember I was #13 in the class and in top 6%. Since you started in 77, with 660 boys then in those 5 years the school went from a class of 216 to 165 if I straight line average. So a loss of about 50 kids per year. So the 1400 number must have been multiplied by 2 because I do not believe St. Francis anywhere near the remaining number of girls that would be needed to make the math work. I ended up in life being best friends with the JCHS business manager and I know for a fact that the combining of schools was done to save St. Francis. Denny had JCHS financially stable. I think the family size is probably the key along with not having clergy as teachers thus exploding the tuition. So I wonder if that phenonium happened at most Catholic schools.
Thanks Kevin!!

Great thanks MC. Bad memory then. Mom pd the tuition and I had to buy the books and transportation.

Reactions: MC2023
My oldest started SHG in 1989, tuition was $1,750.00 and just under 900 kids. Now tuition just under $10,000.00. It was hard on us then but carpenters, plumbers State workers etc. could send their kids. Now it seems the parents are primarily those with professional degrees. I see SHG grads who stayed in the area sending their kids to Rochester & Glenwood with many not even going to church. My boys don't live here but neither do their families go to church. Of our two daughters the one in Chicago sends their kids to Catholic school but the one in NC has hers in public.
Yep. None of my 3 kids go to church and only one is still a believer in Jesus Christ as Lord and savior. Somewhere we let them down!

I am sorry ULB, I am not being sarcastic I just don't understand what you are saying. Can you explain your point in a different way please.

Gotta hand it to to em. Still know how to put a good team on the field regardless of enrollment. Been doing it for decades!! You'd think that would attract more students... works in college...
You know Lucersg I have to really agree. I always thought our depreciation of kids was directly linked to Seffner and Provi. But time does not seem to prove that out. We really are not just an athlete school. Our graduating test scores are very high.

I have said this about a bazillion times here but it bears repeating: Private schools, and faith based schools in particular, are going through a Darwinian process. That is to say that if they don't adapt/evolve quickly enough to changing circumstances, if they are more reactive than proactive, if they don't spend money to make money in terms of fundraising and achieving a strong financial footing, then they will not survive. Period.

I have also said quite frequently that private schools that wind up closing typically endure death by a thousand cuts. Those cuts are the equivalent of enrollment decreases that, when you look at them on an annual basis, seem relatively painless. Because they are relatively painless, the schools take relatively painless measures to try to stop or reverse the decreases. To continue the bleeding metaphor, they use a tourniquet or a bigger bandaid to treat the cut but they don't treat the underlying causes of the bleeding. They wait too long to amputate a limb or to try a drastic and promising new treatment. The years turn into decades and, before you know it, what they knew at the time was unsustainable in terms of enrollment declines in the long term results in nothing left to sustain.

The above is speaking in general terms. While the gist of it applies to most, it does not apply to all. There are examples, right here in our state, of private schools that have either successfully reinvented themselves or have simply started brand new with an attractive and affordable educational model. The Cristo Rey schools (Cristo Rey Jesuit, Christ the King Jesuit, and Cristo Rey St. Martin) come to mind as good examples of successful startup high schools. San Miguel School and Chicago Jesuit Academy are good examples of successful middle school startups. DePaul Prep is a good example of reinvention driven by great leadership.

The key to the above is leadership. Not just good leadership, but great leadership that sets high expectations and motivates the school community to exceed them. In order to thrive, a private school needs great volunteer leadership in the form of a governing board that knows its mission is to advance and enhance the school's mission. It needs board members who know they need to give, to get, or to git! It needs great academic leadership that is consistent, effective, proactive, and responsive to the needs of the greater school community.

The problem with many private schools and Catholic schools in particular is that they operate on a shoestring budget and have done so for decades. They can't figure out how to climb out of that space between a rock and hard place. So, they make do. They cut corners. They squeeze themselves in between a bigger rock and a harder place, creating a tighter space from which it becomes increasingly difficult to find a way out. And, in doing that, they get what they pay for. They get ineffective marketing efforts that produce enrollment declines. They get lackluster fundraising efforts that don't maximize the giving potential of their constituents. They get a revolving door of mediocre academic leaders. Mediocrity begets mediocrity.

Sure, all those things (rising tuition, smaller Catholic families, etc.) that others have mentioned in this thread are factors. But, the fact that some schools are super fit and healthy while many are in an early, middle, or late stage of bleeding out makes me think that those other factors are not as important as the leadership factor. Great leadership is the common element that you will find in those successful schools.

Have a nice day.
I really liked your answer!! JCA after going co-ed let a board get in that almost ruined JCA. They had no interest in sports to drive getting kids. In fact one of the first moves was to change the Hilltoppers name to the streaks or someting just as stupid. The howl was immense. I myself by that time was donating 1,000 per year and I wrote them that the checks would stop immediately. I did not attend a school with there team called the Streaks. They eventually caved but did immense damage the 3-5 years they were in power.

Reactions: Autumnball
I guess I would agree to disagree here. Particularly on the Northside of Chicago- Rogers Park, Edgebrook, Sauganash, Eddison Park, etc. Lots of kids who would traditionally go to Loyola, are now looking at places like DePaul and Notre Dame because of that price tag/improving schools. I do agree Loyola is willing to work with families financially, but nonetheless, it is a steep financial commitment to make.

The other factor is that wages are not going up at the same pace as tuitions. I believe Loyola increases at 3.5% annually (correct me if I am wrong). People simply don't have that amount of money to send their kids to a Loyola. This is what I mean by pricing out the middle. Which stinks.....If you have a way around this would love to hear :) Now if you are talking North Shore and some of the burbs northwest, maybe their parents have that disposable income....I do not know.
Tuition of $17,750 at Loyola this year is the same as it was last year. Loyola gives out roughly $5 million a year in financial aid to 32% of the student body, with the average award being $8K. I'm not sure how ND and DPP do it, but I have to imagine that Loyola isn't crazy out of line with those other two schools when you net everything out.

And, look, from a financial health perspective, the key isn't to focus on the 32% who need financial aid, but the 68% who don't. Think of it...Loyola has over two-thirds of its student body paying full annual tuition of almost $18K. PLUS, many of those families give even more to events, etc.

The only way around it for Loyola, and for most private schools, is financial aid. Loyola has a $70 million endowment (as of the end of 20-21 school year) that spins off a hefty annual revenue stream to help with financial aid. Recently, the endowment has been growing at about $6-7 million a year in contributions, not to mention market capitalization. Look for that endowment to skyrocket over the next 15-20 years as many baby boomer alumni come to the end of their life spans and will bequeath portions of their estates to the Academy. Loyola is going to be fine.

I'm curious about DePaul Prep and if they are simply growing the market, or are they successfully poaching kids who, in the last years of Gordon Tech or even DPP located on the old GT campus, would have gone to Loyola or Ignatius.

Last edited:
How we justify 15-20k (or figure out how to pay) a year per child is what I am asking myself.
and when you consider the message from Autumnball which is playing out in every community -
I see SHG grads who stayed in the area sending their kids to Rochester & Glenwood with many not even going to church. My boys don't live here but neither do their families go to church.
the answer to your questions is 'you can't'. But I feel your pain as I sent two daughters through BA and am now obligated through household pressure to provide the same to my younger freshman and junior. I learn to live without- in hopes it will mean something to them later. And yes, I've got this all backwards, I know.

Yep. None of my 3 kids go to church and only one is still a believer in Jesus Christ as Lord and savior. Somewhere we let them down!
At least both girls go to church and their kids are baptized but the most painful to me is my boy's kids aren't baptized at 4 & 3 with another due in March. I love them all but never imagined my grandkid's might grow up as pagans.

Tuition of $17,750 at Loyola this year is the same as it was last year. Loyola gives out roughly $5 million a year in financial aid to 32% of the student body, with the average award being $8K. I'm not sure how ND and DPP do it, but I have to imagine that Loyola isn't crazy out of line when you net everything out.

The only way around it for Loyola, and for most private schools, is financial aid. Loyola has a $70 million endowment (as of the end of 20-21 school year) that spins off a hefty annual revenue stream to help with financial aid. Also, it has tons of baby boomer alumni who are nearing the end of their life spans and many of whom will bequeath portions of their estates to the Academy. Look for that endowment to skyrocket over the next 15-20 years as a result. Loyola is going to be fine.

I'm curious about DePaul Prep and if they are simply growing the market, or are they successfully poaching kids who, in the last years of Gordon Tech or even DPP located on the old GT campus, would have gone to Loyola or Ignatius.
I think they have found that sweet spot between Loyola and Ignatius- Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc They also have a new facility, a new football stadium and a new gym/pool on the way. I believe they had 900+ test this year. They have financial backing and very good leadership (not to mention a great AD hahahaha)For us, it's at least in consideration.

At least both girls go to church and their kids are baptized but the most painful to me is my boy's kids aren't baptized at 4 & 3 with another due in March. I love them all but never imagined my grandkid's might grow up as pagans.
I feel your pain. My only child that believes the Catholic doctrine at all is my only child with grandkids. She has 6and a 4 year old girls. Neither are baptized. her rational is she will let them decide. I can't tell her but that is a huge gamble with the souls of your kids. At least baptize them and then give them a choice if you want at confirmation time.

I think they have found that sweet spot between Loyola and Ignatius- Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc They also have a new facility, a new football stadium and a new gym/pool on the way. I believe they had 900+ test this year. They have financial backing and very good leadership (not to mention a great AD hahahaha)For us, it's at least in consideration.
Wow you just brought up a great point. JCA's amount of kids testing has slowly been climbing and the amount of kids going out for freshman football has exploded now that Sharp has left. I still believe that JCA will slowly turn around and recover. I just have to believe!

I am sorry ULB, I am not being sarcastic I just don't understand what you are saying. Can you explain your point in a different way please.
Discussion of the rationale behind the Benedictine monks resigning from operating Benet Academy may lead this thread toward the restroom. But if there are parents that feel woke won up there, would they look at JCA if they were in southern DuPage, upper Will County?

All.... Real enrollment listed in the football program for SHG last year was 560. Not sure what it will be for 2022. The school is getting serious with enrollment costs and has revamped their whole system with incentives. (see below) I believe there are five Catholic grade schools (small and big) left in Springfield. Hopefully SHG is making several visits a year to each singing the praises of going to SHG. I know mailers once a year are sent all over Springfield and surrounding towns showing what SHG has to offer. Back in my day it was unthinkable that should one attend Catholic grade grade school you would not end up at Griffin. Not so much now and many Catholics don't even send their kids to Catholic grade school which isn't inexpensive as well. Ratsy P.S. The SHG placement test for eighth graders is tomorrow. IT'S FREE! (with no obligation) Come one come all.....

https://www.shg.org/admissions/

All.... Real enrollment listed in the football program for SHG last year was 560. Not sure what it will be for 2022. The school is getting serious with enrollment costs and has revamped their whole system with incentives. (see below) I believe there are five Catholic grade schools (small and big) left in Springfield. Hopefully SHG is making several visits a year to each singing the praises of going to SHG. I know mailers once a year are sent all over Springfield and surrounding towns showing what SHG has to offer. Back in my day it was unthinkable that should one attend Catholic grade grade school you would not end up at Griffin. Not so much now and many Catholics don't even send their kids to Catholic grade school which isn't inexpensive as well. Ratsy

https://www.shg.org/admissions/
As usual Ratsy, I agree with everything you said.

Agreed, but that brand new campus isn't big enough to handle all those test takers.

I mentioned this after placement test weekend, but the only number that matters is the yield of test takers to butts in the desks.

Trust me when I tell you that DePaul Prep will be looking very closely at that yield. They will use it and tweak it and budget based on it moving forward because they want to max out their capacity each and every year. It's great that they have 900 test takers, but where will most of them enroll when they get rejected because there isn't enough room for them on that nice new campus? Answer: Regina, Res, NDCP, Pat's, Lane, Northside Prep, etc. Many of them were probably testing at DPP as a Plan B if they were rejected at Lane, Payton, Northside Prep, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bronco man
Agreed, but that brand new campus isn't big enough to handle all those test takers.

I mentioned this after placement test weekend, but the only number that matters is the yield of test takers to butts in the desks.

Trust me when I tell you that DePaul Prep will be looking very closely at that yield. They will use it and tweak it and budget based on it moving forward because they want to max out their capacity each and every year. It's great that they have 900 test takers, but where will most of them enroll when they get rejected because there isn't enough room for them on that nice new campus?
They actually will have additional space. It is a 17 acre campus. The target is 350-400 per class. So roughly 1500 kids. I am not sure if they test on the same day like Ignatius. Who knows. I just think it is a viable option for those on the fringe....BUT, I really underestimated their tuition. It is close to 16k!

I have also said quite frequently that private schools that wind up closing typically endure death by a thousand cuts. Those cuts are the equivalent of enrollment decreases that, when you look at them on an annual basis, seem relatively painless. Because they are relatively painless, the schools take relatively painless measures to try to stop or reverse the decreases. To continue the bleeding metaphor, they use a tourniquet or a bigger bandaid to treat the cut but they don't treat the underlying causes of the bleeding. They wait too long to amputate a limb or to try a drastic and promising new treatment. The years turn into decades and, before you know it, what they knew at the time was unsustainable in terms of enrollment declines in the long term results in the sad foregone conclusion.

The problem with many private schools and Catholic schools in particular is that they operate on a shoestring budget and have done so for decades. They can't figure out how to climb out of that space between a rock and hard place.. So, they make do. They cut corners. They squeeze themselves into an even smaller and tighter space from which it becomes increasingly difficult to find a way out. And, in doing that, they get what they pay for. They get ineffective marketing efforts that produce enrollment declines. They get lackluster fundraising efforts that don't maximize the giving potential of their constituents. They get a revolving door of mediocre academic leaders. Mediocrity begets mediocrity.

Sure, all those things that others have mentioned in this thread are factors. But, the fact that some schools are thriving while others are treading water at best makes me think that those other factors are not as important as the leadership factor because great leadership is the common thread that is driving those successful schools.

Have a nice day.
I agree with some of what you said . However. I think a lot of the “just have great leadership and dream big” rhetoric minimizes the reality most schools face. I don’t think different leadership changes the outcome for Hales Franciscan or Mount Assisi. Even if they had a grand vision and outspent their shoestring budget, the narrative would simply be that they couldn’t live within a reasonable budget and, thus, had to close.

I really don’t know how many private schools can claim to be thriving enrollment wise or trending upward right now. It seems to me those that are have a few things in common. Being a city school helps with population density and the locked in public servant base of Chicagoans who have to live in the city and will only consider a private school. Schools with a sterling academic reputation from the outside are at an advantage (ignatius, fenwick, Benet). Loyola has a great reputation and benefits from being in a location that has residents with more disposable income than the vast majority of other private schools. Naz is another that seems to have a fairly stable enrollment now, though recent athletic success is key there too I’m sure.

In short, it is clear that private schools, particularly those from outlying suburbs and beyond, are facing an environment with fewer students considering them as an option. The closer you get to the city, the less pronounced this tends to become, though it sounds like even formerly massive schools like Rice are way down from previous peaks. While vision and leadership can certainly help any school, I don’t necessarily see the enrollment decline across all private schools as Darwinian as much as I see it as inevitable.

While Marian, JC, PC, Bishop Mac, Marian Central, SHG, Bloomington Central, etc may be in enrollment lulls, I don’t think it is because of a leadership or vision void in most cases. While DePaul is a great story of vision and rebirth, I don’t think you can say that “well If Marian central just had better vision and leadership…”

certainly we can all reflect and see where decisions could be made differently, but I really don’t see any example of far flung suburban private schools or downstate private schools tearing it up enrollment wise.

and when you consider the message from Autumnball which is playing out in every community -
I see SHG grads who stayed in the area sending their kids to Rochester & Glenwood with many not even going to church. My boys don't live here but neither do their families go to church.
the answer to your questions is 'you can't'. But I feel your pain as I sent two daughters through BA and am now obligated through household pressure to provide the same to my younger freshman and junior. I learn to live without- in hopes it will mean something to them later. And yes, I've got this all backwards, I know.
I appreciate the thoughts. I guess we just make it happen. Give up up some things and make it work.

Reactions: Gene K.
I agree with some of what you said . However. I think a lot of the “just have great leadership and dream big” rhetoric minimizes the reality most schools face. I don’t think different leadership changes the outcome for Hales Franciscan or Mount Assisi. Even if they had a grand vision and outspent their shoestring budget, the narrative would simply be that they couldn’t live within a reasonable budget and, thus, had to close.

I really don’t know how many private schools can claim to be thriving enrollment wise or trending upward right now. It seems to me those that are have a few things in common. Being a city school helps with population density and the locked in public servant base of Chicagoans who have to live in the city and will only consider a private school. Schools with a sterling academic reputation from the outside are at an advantage (ignatius, fenwick, Benet). Loyola has a great reputation and benefits from being in a location that has residents with more disposable income than the vast majority of other private schools. Naz is another that seems to have a fairly stable enrollment now, though recent athletic success is key there too I’m sure.

In short, it is clear that private schools, particularly those from outlying suburbs and beyond, are facing an environment with fewer students considering them as an option. The closer you get to the city, the less pronounced this tends to become, though it sounds like even formerly massive schools like Rice are way down from previous peaks. While vision and leadership can certainly help any school, I don’t necessarily see the enrollment decline across all private schools as Darwinian as much as I see it as inevitable.

While Marian, JC, PC, Bishop Mac, Marian Central, SHG, Bloomington Central, etc may be in enrollment lulls, I don’t think it is because of a leadership or vision void in most cases. While DePaul is a great story of vision and rebirth, I don’t think you can say that “well If Marian central just had better vision and leadership…”

certainly we can all reflect and see where decisions could be made differently, but I really don’t see any example of far flung suburban private schools or downstate private schools tearing it up enrollment wise.
Really great counterpoints, JCH. You do realize that you are trying to argue that some schools are destined to fail regardless of them having great leadership? I have a hard time believing that.

For the sake of argument, let's say that Hales had awesome leadership for the entirety of its existence. I'm not suggesting that what leadership they did have was horrible, but let's assume, for a moment, that they had leadership that was much better than what they had every step of the way. I want to believe that great leadership would have given Hales a fighting chance at success.

In your post you mention Ignatius has a sterling academic reputation. Well, guess what? Back in the years before coeducation that happened in 1979 and the presidential tenure of Father Don Rowe that began in 1981, Ignatius was thisclose to closing its doors. The school was fortunate enough to identify and benefit from some great leadership and, bang, the school stopped the bleeding and they haven't looked back. Ignatius dodged a bullet. They endured almost a thousand cuts, but then they found the leadership that brought them back from the brink of extinction.

As for Hales and Mt. Assisi, I hear ya, but who is to say that they wouldn't still be around if they had been more proactive or if they had been prescient enough to identify the first of the thousand cuts for what they were and took prompt and effective action to adapt to a changing situation? What if Mt Assisi beat Providence and JCHS and SFA to the punch and went coed first? How would that have changed the dynamic in the far southwest burbs? How would that have changed what all girl Providence did by accepting boys when they did? Not suggesting that Mt Assisi should have done that but I think it would be hard to argue that their trajectory after going coed would have been similar to how it turned out as an all girls school to the end.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT