ADVERTISEMENT

JCA

Hofman

Nov 8, 2001
Hi everyone!! Look forward to our discussions

Seen so little on JCA and it was all bad. I know we moved up and that is great. But do we have a poor team?

Some questions:
1) do we have one good running back or 5 that couldn't run?
2) Line o and D review. Any size?
Do we have a QB
Do we have a defense?
Any Sophs that are ready?

Not sure I will like the answer.

Last edited:

Seen so little on JCA and it was all bad. I know we moved up and that is great. But do we have a poor team?

Some questions:
Do we have a QB
Do we have a defense?

The little that I know comes from last years observations and the little I’ve seen from social media and print media through the off-season.

Definitely don’t have a poor team. Lots of talent. But the schedule is very rough and front loaded. Have to find 5 wins by stealing some games in the first half of the season.

Grigsby seems to have been mentioned as the feature back and one with the most offers. He will be a key cog, but he’s not built like an Isaac or Ivlow where he will get 35 carries between the tackles. He will benefit from a back who can complement him from the other side and also finding ways to get him the ball in space.

Herald news mentioned a senior as likely QB starter but that a soph is likely to get reps as well. O line has some returners and should be a strength like it almost always is.

Defense is a big question mark. Plenty of talent there though. All world wrestler Dillan Johnson has shown flashes of dominance on the line. He will need to play at his absolute best and disrupt an opponent’s offense every down. He has done it before. But in wrestling there is absolutely no stopping him. If he can apply his wrestling leverage and technique to football this season, he will be an absolute wrecking ball.

Anywhere from 3 to 8 wins are seemingly on the table with the schedule having at least 5 toss up games on it.

Reactions: rocketnation
I wouldn't say they have a poor team but they do have a difficult schedule. They had a wingback transfer out so they're looking for a replacement. They have 3 returning starters on the offensive line so that will help. Their line will be big as usual. Their quarterback will be solid with good receivers who get open. The defense will be anchored by Dillan Johnson and really good linebackers. The defensive backfield returns one starter. There was plenty of talent in the lower levels so they should be able to harvest some them to fill in. Bottom line is that this team has to scratch and claw to get 5 wins with their schedule. I have no insider info. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: rocketnation
The little that I know comes from last years observations and the little I’ve seen from social media and print media through the off-season.

Definitely don’t have a poor team. Lots of talent. But the schedule is very rough and front loaded. Have to find 5 wins by stealing some games in the first half of the season.

Grigsby seems to have been mentioned as the feature back and one with the most offers. He will be a key cog, but he’s not built like an Isaac or Ivlow where he will get 35 carries between the tackles. He will benefit from a back who can complement him from the other side and also finding ways to get him the ball in space.

Herald news mentioned a senior as likely QB starter but that a soph is likely to get reps as well. O line has some returners and should be a strength like it almost always is.

Defense is a big question mark. Plenty of talent there though. All world wrestler Dillan Johnson has shown flashes of dominance on the line. He will need to play at his absolute best and disrupt an opponent’s offense every down. He has done it before. But in wrestling there is absolutely no stopping him. If he can apply his wrestling leverage and technique to football this season, he will be an absolute wrecking ball.

Anywhere from 3 to 8 wins are seemingly on the table with the schedule having at least 5 toss up games on it.
I've read that Johnson wrestled fewer national tournaments this summer and focused on football. He got a little leaner and quicker.

Here's my two cents: the soph QB, Simulick, is a great athlete. He started at shortstop on their state championship baseball team as a frosh. I liked the Sr. QB, Munoz, on the lower levels. We shall see who emerges. Not sure who the wingback opposite Grigsby will be. That will be a big key to the offense. Someone has to emerge. The O-line supposedly will start 4 Jrs. They need the O-line to come together quickly, as the schedule is tough in the beginning of the year, as has been mentioned. They have two very good Sr. receivers who were contributors last year in Wills and Washington, so whoever wins the QB job will have weapons to throw to....in addition to Grigsby.

Agree that the time is now for Dillan Johnson to dominate. He's shown flashes, but they need him to be consistently dominant. I've heard Hrvatin may play DE. Not sure if it's accurate or not, but they need him to be an impact player as well. Jr. LB Rouse greatly improved the run defense when he was inserted last year in the starting lineup. LB's should be a strength. They have some nice athletes in addition to Tai Sesta, a returning starter at CB, on the lower levels, but it's always difficult to project DB's abilities until they see varsity action.

Agree with the general consensus that the schedule is tough. The move up to the Green will be a challenge, as well as Provi in Week 2. I see the Week 1 game against the Iowa team as pretty much a must win to get to 5.

Lou Holtz-ing beginning early!
This ia simply acknowledging that the schedule has no breathers weeks 2-6. When they play PC, SR, ND, SF, and Marist they will likely be underdogs or pick ems. If ND is down, maybe they find themselves favored in that game. Either way that’s 5 straight weeks where you aren’t really a favorite.

If they get 5 wins, they are a title contender. But I don’t think it’s Lou holtzing to say it could be difficult to find 5 wins with this schedule.

If someone said the over under on wins for the season was 6, would you take the over?

Some questions:
Do we have a QB
Do we have a defense?

All..... Fwiw Hofman of course it's all about making the playoffs but this should make the Hilltopper faithful happy. I have been cracking numbers pretty hard on and off for a few months. These are my own model scenarios and even using past performance as one part of the "recipe" still a bit tricky. Anyway I have JCA making postseason play and ending up in the SOUTH bracket of 16. So if the Hilltoppers enter at 5-4 they will still be a major player in this particular grouping of teams. Ratsy

Last edited:
This ia simply acknowledging that the schedule has no breathers weeks 2-6. When they play PC, SR, ND, SF, and Marist they will likely be underdogs or pick ems. If ND is down, maybe they find themselves favored in that game. Either way that’s 5 straight weeks where you aren’t really a favorite.

If they get 5 wins, they are a title contender. But I don’t think it’s Lou holtzing to say it could be difficult to find 5 wins with this schedule.

If someone said the over under on wins for the season was 6, would you take the over?

Why don’t we call it challenging?
Weeks 1 & 7-9 are all very winnable. So , if my math serves me correctly, you’re looking for a win or two in weeks 2-6.
I just don’t think finding 5 wins is such a daunting task….Lou Holtz!

Johnson is going have an all-time type season for JCA this year. He's so dominant.

Yes he'll face good lines but JCA has talent around him

Johnson is going have an all-time type season for JCA this year. He's so dominant.

Yes he'll face good lines but JCA has talent around him
We all hope so. He has been good the last few seasons. It probably isn’t fair to compare his football ability to his wrestling ability. When you’re literally one of the handful of best high schoolers in the country at one sport, even “just” being elite at the other sport leaves you wanting more. When you pin top flight wrestlers in moments, you almost expect to see him getting TFL’s every other snap on defense, which likely isn’t a realistic expectation.

He is hungry and it sounds like he has put in the work on the football side this off-season. I am confident this will be his most dominant season yet. Exactly how dominant will likely determine how far this team goes.

Reactions: epicbret
Doesn't JCA also have a 5 Star kicker back for his senior year? Not that JCA is very well known for kicking FG's and their kicking game. :)

Reactions: rjjtwest
Was at McDonald's (Rt. 30) over the weekend for breakfast and ran into some JCA players. Most of them looked like they had hit the weight room hard. Think the trip to Iowa will be a bonding (and great) experience. Will be shocked if they don't come back with a win. Iowa City got blown out several times last year.

Reactions: jobare56
Little Hawks, is JCA playing the feeder program?
Do Hawkeye staff/alums stay in town or are they more likely to live in districts on the outskirts of town (think Monticello to Champaign)? Probably just a wildkit/wildcat thing.

Do Hawkeye staff/alums stay in town or are they more likely to live in districts on the outskirts of town (think Monticello to Champaign)? Probably just a wildkit/wildcat thing.
Mostly in town (although quite a few are zoned to Iowa City West or Liberty, all in the same district), though some go to Solon.

Was at McDonald's (Rt. 30) over the weekend for breakfast and ran into some JCA players. Most of them looked like they had hit the weight room hard. Think the trip to Iowa will be a bonding (and great) experience. Will be shocked if they don't come back with a win. Iowa City got blown out several times last year.
Kids walk away from Rudy's Gym with bodybuilders physiques and then wolf down some Mcd's. I wish I was 17.

Has anyone seen whether or not this game will be streamed? I haven't seen anything on NFHS yet.

Has anyone seen whether or not this game will be streamed? I haven't seen anything on NFHS yet.
I was kind of praying that the JCA camera crew would be making the trip and broadcasting it on their YouTube page, like they normally do during the regular season. But, those regular season games are not normally in Iowa. :) fingers crossed.

Edited to change Facebook to YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatholicHigh41
I was kind of praying that the JCA camera crew would be making the trip and broadcasting it on their Facebook page, like they normally do during the regular season. But, those regular season games are not normally in Iowa. :) fingers crossed.
Oops! I meant their YouTube page not Facebook. I'll edit my original post. :)

Another Iowa based news/media organization article on the game.
Haha, from that information and misinformation it's sounds like Alabama, Georgia, Michigan or Ohio State are coming to Iowa City Friday. Well, they will probably be fired up a little.

Nothing better than a nice road trip to start the season. My guys and I are hitting the road!!!

The whole area is rife.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT