ADVERTISEMENT

JCA @ ICCP

However, that 2016 team that Wilmington was the best 3A opponent in the playoffs also beat 6A semifinalist St. Laurence 63-49 in week 2...its week 2 folks...2016 had Rowell, an NIU recruit...this year they have a Purdue recruit...My point is that IC has faced just about every power run system there is with success...
I'll be interested to see how much passing is in JCA's game plan this week.

I think JCA will be just fine in this game. JCA offense is tough to defend, especially if you haven't seen it before.

Reactions: RockSoup
godfthr53,
I disagree about the JCA offense being hard to defend. Teams over the years with equal talent haven't had a problem. It's when JCA is bigger and stronger that they can push their opponents around. I don't see it as a "schematic advantage". (PJJP_insert Coach Weis joke here!)
Expect a 9 man front until JCA proves they are willing and capable of throwing the ball.

godfthr53,
I disagree about the JCA offense being hard to defend. Teams over the years with equal talent haven't had a problem. It's when JCA is bigger and stronger that they can push their opponents around. I don't see it as a "schematic advantage". (PJJP_insert Coach Weis joke here!)
Expect a 9 man front until JCA proves they are willing and capable of throwing the ball.
That's a good Phillips matchup.

Jca expects at least 9-10 guys in the box every game. The fact remains the players on d need to shoot the right gaps or it doesn’t matter. With only 4 days to prepare to stop that offense, definite disadvantage. I understand IC plays teams with similar offenses, the size, speed and experience of three year varsity O-linemen will be hard to stop. They can run their blocking schemes in their sleep. Will be a great game.

Are you and NewFool brothers or cousins?

Jca expects at least 9-10 guys in the box every game. The fact remains the players on d need to shoot the right gaps or it doesn’t matter. With only 4 days to prepare to stop that offense, definite disadvantage. I understand IC plays teams with similar offenses, the size, speed and experience of three year varsity O-linemen will be hard to stop. They can run their blocking schemes in their sleep. Will be a great game.

Reactions: USD24
You are referencing personnel, talent and experience.
I don't question any of that.

godfthr53,
I liked what I saw on the freshmen level against Rita. The frosh QB is very good, and the offense they ran (put up 42 points against a good Rita frosh team) was much more diverse than what I saw at the varsity level on Friday. To be fair, the varsity got an early lead and the weather was not great, which may have influenced the play calling.

You can still run principles of the double-wing, but mix in passing etc. For instance, Larry McKeon did a nice job of that at Nap North. My guess (and this is only a guess) is Jaws will institute offensive changes at the lower levels and carry it through to the varsity. Of course, all offenses need the personnel to be diverse.

I'll be interested to see how this year's varsity offense evolves. I don't think they will be able to compete with teams like Naz, Marist, Benet and ND by throwing one pass in a game. They will need to mix it up more. And, I'm not taking anything away from Rita. The four teams I've mentioned see JCA's double-wing every year. They know the offense and have the athletes to defend it, so diversification is a must, IMO.

Reactions: Gene K.

Enough talk!
Let the kids play the game.
IC by 13.

Wow that is an epiphany for you PJJP. I’m excited that you are seeing that there is an issue with the old schematic disadvantage. See I told you you’d learn to like the guy after his ideas sank in!

I liked what I saw on the freshmen level against Rita. The frosh QB is very good, and the offense they ran (put up 42 points against a good Rita frosh team) was much more diverse than what I saw at the varsity level on Friday. To be fair, the varsity got an early lead and the weather was not great, which may have influenced the play calling.

You can still run principles of the double-wing, but mix in passing etc. For instance, Larry McKeon did a nice job of that at Nap North. My guess (and this is only a guess) is Jaws will institute offensive changes at the lower levels and carry it through to the varsity. Of course, all offenses need the personnel to be diverse.

I'll be interested to see how this year's varsity offense evolves. I don't think they will be able to compete with teams like Naz, Marist, Benet and ND by throwing one pass in a game. They will need to mix it up more. And, I'm not taking anything away from Rita. The four teams I've mentioned see JCA's double-wing every year. They know the offense and have the athletes to defend it, so diversification is a must, IMO.

Believe me, JCA needs to change the offense in the worst way. I agree Naz and Nd can stop us, no question. But Marist and benet still have troubles. I said before the season started I believe JCA has 5-6 wins with needing to win one of the first two. Still believe that.

Believe me, JCA needs to change the offense in the worst way. I agree Naz and Nd can stop us, no question. But Marist and benet still have troubles. I said before the season started I believe JCA has 5-6 wins with needing to win one of the first two. Still believe that.

A "must win" game in week two?
Brutal.

I’m fairly removed so this is strictly opinion.

1. Enrollment
2. Enrollment
3. When the suburban Christian conference was formed it was a terrible idea. Two divisions that we’re horribly mismatched. At that time the scores were brutal with the blue division murdering the gold. IC was somewhat in the middle and when it began to disband they weren’t at the level they are now. Krefft is a great coach who also has some top assistants. They now have an outstanding staff with a head coach who is rolling. I would guess if IC was at their current level when it disbanded they wouldn’t have gone to the metro. Who knows, maybe they’ll bring back the old SCC? Would love to see the old matchups brought back. I’m excited to see IC vs St Francis again, that was always such a swing game for IC back in the 2000s. Also as much as the refs suck, there were some great battles at Marian Central and Marmion as well. Usually took L’s vs Montini but I know Andriano used to love those games too.
Eagle great post! It would be so hard for IC to keep up in the ESCC, too small of a school. Look at schools like MCC, JCA, and Viator all in recent years have either just qualified by getting 5 wins with a less challenging non con schedule or in JCAs case not make it at all. Those are 5a schools too that if they have a down year they have to scratch and fight for anything to make the playoffs, we can't honestly expect that from a school that is two classes smaller than that.

I would love to see the old SCC come back, it was a really great conference to be a apart of. I would challenge any conference to have as many state titles as this conference did from 2000 to 2012. IC had 2, Montini had 5, St. Francis had 1, Driscoll 7, AC 3, MCC 1 runner up, Marmion 1 runner up. I may have forgotten someone but this was the premier 5a conference year in and year out. The Driscoll closing and addition of some low level football schools destroyed that conference because they all teamed up and left, leaving only 5 schools with nothing.

I kind of thought the addition of Fenwick and De Lasalle could have been a good fit competition wise in a new conference, but it would be hard to get them to leave the CCL. And MCC bailed out of that at the last second too, was not a huge fan of that but whatever

Wow that is an epiphany for you PJJP. I’m excited that you are seeing that there is an issue with the old schematic disadvantage. See I told you you’d learn to like the guy after his ideas sank in!
Truth be told. I've always believed what I posted above. I just didn't like a coach from an opposing team declaring it, as he did, on a public message board. Highly inappropriate, IMO.

Truth be told. I've always believed what I posted above. I just didn't like a coach from an opposing team declaring it, as he did, on a public message board. Highly inappropriate, IMO.
Who was the coach???? Fess up!!! Lol

Eagle great post! It would be so hard for IC to keep up in the ESCC, too small of a school. Look at schools like MCC, JCA, and Viator all in recent years have either just qualified by getting 5 wins with a less challenging non con schedule or in JCAs case not make it at all. Those are 5a schools too that if they have a down year they have to scratch and fight for anything to make the playoffs, we can't honestly expect that from a school that is two classes smaller than that.

I would love to see the old SCC come back, it was a really great conference to be a apart of. I would challenge any conference to have as many state titles as this conference did from 2000 to 2012. IC had 2, Montini had 5, St. Francis had 1, Driscoll 7, AC 3, MCC 1 runner up, Marmion 1 runner up. I may have forgotten someone but this was the premier 5a conference year in and year out. The Driscoll closing and addition of some low level football schools destroyed that conference because they all teamed up and left, leaving only 5 schools with nothing.

I kind of thought the addition of Fenwick and De Lasalle could have been a good fit competition wise in a new conference, but it would be hard to get them to leave the CCL. And MCC bailed out of that at the last second too, was not a huge fan of that but whatever

Fenwick would never do it. They feel they are above this despite their recent loss to CPS power Kenwood.

It was the premier 4/5a conference, which was the reason IC had to fight every year to make the playoffs! IC was always on the 2a and 3a bubble.

However, that 2016 team that Wilmington was the best 3A opponent in the playoffs also beat 6A semifinalist St. Laurence 63-49 in week 2...its week 2 folks...2016 had Rowell, an NIU recruit...this year they have a Purdue recruit...My point is that IC has faced just about every power run system there is with success...

Wilmo 2016 was a terrific 3A power run team with a great defense and IC with the Rowell and Rico combo blew their doors off. 2016 has no bearing in this game. IC is still pretty damn good, probably not 2016 good. This will likely be a close game. It’s a resurgent JCA vs small ball power house IC. Looking forward to the outcome.

Yup. Underdogs again. Hope IC runs that 4-4 defense they ran last Friday. JCA may have 600 yards rushing this week. Althoff look terrible. The play calling was horrible. I can’t believe people got a sense of how good IC really is when they play a team like that. JCA would of had triple the yards against Althoff then st Rita. I love JCA being dogs. Beating a ranked team like St Rita means nothing. Ok with me.

Thoughts now?

I'll be interested to see if any 4A team, including the esteemed Rockets can play with IC. That team is loaded with talent, regardless of class. Not sure what Montini has, but I'd like IC's chances in 5A as well.

Reactions: penlight
Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. 3a teams and 5a teams that play a 6a/7a schedule are 2 completely different things. I don't think IC will back down by any means, but you cannot compare Byron to Joliet Catholic.

Apparently I am comparing apples to oranges...the 3A teams at least can score on IC...at Plunkett as well, not just on sloppy grass...

Now, basing this upon the whining I hear from Nazareth arguments in 7A, they won titles in 14 & 15, playoffs 16, runner up 17 puts them in 7A for this season - three finals trips in four years, two bumps....or is the Naz issue the 6A title in 14, 5A title in 15, 5a playoffs in 16, runner up 6A in 17...why 5A in 16 after back to back titles...and then 6A in 17....or is their multiplied enrollment sitting there on the 5A/6A line and people are just whining that an itty bitty 6A school is being bumped up...

Okay. Sounds like some of us think that if you keep getting to the finals, then the success factor keeps moving you up until you get clobbered. Not true?
The answer is a Google search away:

http://www.ihsa.org/NewsMedia/Annou...anges-Adds-Success-Advancement-Component.aspx

"The new Success Advancement step will move schools up a classification if they achieve the following:

In football over four years:
1. Participated in two state championship games.
2. Starting with the 2015 season, schools would be moved up two classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in three championship games.
3. Starting with the 2016 season, schools would be moved up three classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in four championship games.
4. Schools that move up more than one class due to the implementation of the above criteria will move down one class per year until they reach their appropriate classification for their enrollment should they stop meeting the advancement criteria outlined above."

#2 would seem to apply. Let's not count our chickens though, week 2 just finished. Lots of ball left.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Ic was well prepared for the jca offense from 3a monsters like Wilmington and Byron. Weaver from Wilmington in 16 was a complete beast. Tough, fast and a 2 way starter. Panther must have seen that game, 48-14, tighter than score indicated. The physical nature of Wilmington players is completely different. They are nasty and physical every down, every play regardless of score. After that game I became a serious fan of the coach and kids.

Ic was well prepared for the jca offense from 3a monsters like Wilmington and Byron.

No two systems are perfectly the same. In fact, if you were to watch film of the 2014 Wilmington offense, QB'ed by the offensive coordinator's son, and today's Wildcats on offense you would realize that, after the snap, very little is the same behind the QB...Mason Southall, the OC's son, was a master of the misdirection handoff in the scissors cuts. Since then, the offense has gone more and more with a short pitch on every play to the wings, who tend to loop deeper in the backfield and hit the line more north & south running...We used to laugh in 14 that Mason ran to the sideline between plays to tell his dad what play he was running next, not get the play from him...lol

That said, they are still hitting the same holes and getting similar results...The starting formation is the same. The holes are in the same place. They just get there a little differently...The QB lead blocks on more plays now...The offense is evolving...

And that is what IC got from playing the 3A power running powers like Wilmington & Byron...JCA might not run the backs at the same depth, but the holes are supposed to be in the same place...IC's kids know if they fill the hole, the back will be there...

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT