ADVERTISEMENT

JCA at Provi Eary Thoughts?

Secondo1

Aug 29, 2011
Holy War Part II. At Provi.
last game was a one score difference won by JCA at Provi.
Whats the weekly thinking for this one? Both teams have improved. Provi is better than many thought at the beginning of the year. Kudos to them.
JCA has worked around some RB injuries and seems to have come through that. Could be a classic at Kaffer!

Celtics have a big edge here. They have the revenge factor plus this playoff game is at their house.

Reactions: rjjtwest
Holy War Part II. At Provi.
last game was a one score difference won by JCA at Provi.
Whats the weekly thinking for this one? Both teams have improved. Provi is better than many thought at the beginning of the year. Kudos to them.
JCA has worked around some RB injuries and seems to have come through that. Could be a classic at Kaffer!
Lower score this time

Lower score this time
I expect the same. The JCA defense needs to play much better than the first game, especially the run defense.

I don't think the fact that it's at Provi again will have much bearing on the outcome. The Hilltoppers have already won there. And, it's a short drive to New Lenox. It's more an issue for the JCA fans. I expect the game to be well attended. Finding a decent vantage point on the visitor side could be challenging.

One good take-away from JCA's 1st round victory other than JCA playing better: JCA receivers made 2 catches of the year candidate, highlight reel catches. VanTassell and number 89 (don't remember his name) both made incredible TD catches. If teams now have to spend extra resources defending JCA receivers, they could be in trouble. But I'm not real crazy about having to play PC again on their field.

One good take-away from JCA's 1st round victory other than JCA playing better: JCA receivers made 2 catches of the year candidate, highlight reel catches. VanTassell and number 89 (don't remember his name) both made incredible TD catches. If teams now have to spend extra resources defending JCA receivers, they could be in trouble. But I'm not real crazy about having to play PC again on their field.
Ahoyt with the other catch

Jca made a change at linebacker (soph rouse) in the 4th quarter against Provi and he has played excellent throughout the year. Hopefully the hill slows down the run a tad better this time around.

I expect the same. The JCA defense needs to play much better than the first game, especially the run defense.

I don't think the fact that it's at Provi again will have much bearing on the outcome. The Hilltoppers have already won there. And, it's a short drive to New Lenox. It's more an issue for the JCA fans. I expect the game to be well attended. Finding a decent vantage point on the visitor side could be challenging.
Looking from a distance, I'm going to swim against the current and predict JC. The T-storms and heavy rain have dropped off the forecast, though strong gusty winds have not
I p
On another issue, a side comment. Watching games up there, mostly on NFHS and knowing how big football is for the Catholic schools, I am always struck by thr paucity of visitor side seating. PC for one but last year I was watching a game from Nazareth. The visitor side bleachers were what I would've expected for an average 2A field. And watching IC/SF there weren't any.

Don't fans follow their teams up there? I'd have thought that such great teams would have had strongerfan participation.

Last edited:
Looking from a difference, I'm going to swim against the current and predict JC. The T-storms and heavy rain have dropped off the forecast, though strong gusty winds have not
I p
On another issue, a side comment. Watching games up there, mostly on NFHS and knowing how big football is for the Catholic schools, I am always struck by thr paucity of visitor side seating. PC for one but last year I was watching a game from Nazareth. The visitor side bleachers were what I would've expected for an average 2A field. And watching IC/SF there weren't any.

Don't fans follow their teams up there? I'd have thought that such great teams would have had strongerfan participation.
It's called home field advantage. Why would teams want to make the visiting fans more comfortable or encourage them to have large crowds?

Gate and concession revenue.
Big picture, I don't think those numbers are as big as you think they are from visiting fans, even if they had larger bleachers. This specific game is the exception, not the rule.

Looking from a difference, I'm going to swim against the current and predict JC. The T-storms and heavy rain have dropped off the forecast, though strong gusty winds have not
I p

PC used to have a good sized visitor section, but they tore it down and replaced it with a tiny set of bleachers. Not sure why. Visitor side seating for JCA home games is never an issue. Stadium holds 5-6k on each side.

Big picture, I don't think those numbers are as big as you think they are from visiting fans, even if they had larger bleachers. This specific game is the exception, not the rule.
When is the game, BTW? SHG doesn't play until Saturday evening, so I'm looking forward to this game, the gods and NFHS willing.

PC used to have a good sized visitor section, but they tore it down and replaced it with a tiny set of bleachers. Not sure why. Visitor side seating for JCA home games is never an issue. Stadium holds 5-6k on each side.
Yeah. I've been there. My wife is still passed that the guards or somebody wouldn't let her come around the field to the concessions or rest rooms. I'm on crutches so once in my seat I never leave it during thr game.

• Wow
Reactions: Gene K.
Never make the visiting team feel comfortable. Do anything and everything within the rules to W I N ☠️

I remember on a warm early November Saturday about 23 years ago Memorial stadium had about 15,000 fans there!
Curious if you're referring to the Morris game in 1990 ? Final was 36-10. Alstott ran wild.And since i'm pretty "long in the tooth", i still vividly recall the crowds when Joliet Cath. played Joliet Township in the season opener every year. I don't believe i've seen even a playoff crowd that matched those. That 1990 Morris game might have been in the 10K range. But 15K would be a real stretch. Still, thanks for the reminder. Always fun to reminisce.

PS. That was on Haloween, which provided some fun bantor with a couple of Morris fans at Aurelios after the game. They were good guys and good sports. Especially after i bought them a beer. lol lol

Curious if you're referring to the Morris game in 1990 ? Final was 36-10. Alstott ran wild.And since i'm pretty "long in the tooth", i still vividly recall the crowds when Joliet Cath. played Joliet Township in the season opener every year. I don't believe i've seen even a playoff crowd that matched those. That 1990 Morris game might have been in the 10K range. But 15K would be a real stretch. Still, thanks for the reminder. Always fun to reminisce.

PS. That was on Haloween, which provided some fun bantor with a couple of Morris fans at Aurelios after the game. They were good guys and good sports. Especially after i bought them a beer. lol lol
I think he is referring to the 1999 quarterfinal game vs Morris. Beautiful Saturday afternoon. Biggest Memorial Stadium crowd that I have seen in my 40 years of JC football. Hilltoppers prevailed 16-14 when Morris missed a last second field goal.

I think he is referring to the 1999 quarterfinal game vs Morris. Beautiful Saturday afternoon. Biggest Memorial Stadium crowd that I have seen in my 40 years of JC football. Hilltoppers prevailed 16-14 when Morris missed a last second field goal.
Ah.........sorry...........good catch. You're right of course. That was a great crowd and a great game. Somehow i tagged on another 10 years. Total brain fart. My bad. I'll stay with the crowds from the old JCHS vs JTHS though. And the shenanigans all around town in those days were nuts. And my apologies to circletrack32. Should have paid closer attention to the time line you clearly pointed out.

I believe this video has footage of the 1999 JCA Morris game
God, what an ugly game MC played. MC was preseason #1 in every paper and as you can see in this film our Oline just got beat up that game. Defense played well as the final was only 10-7 but it didn’t seem like it....MC did rebound though to finish 13-1 and win State but they JCA Defense was something else that year

Reactions: dweise

Sometimes there just isn't room or there are code issues that make adding or changing the stands really expensive.

Warm weather games will see decent travel usually, but as it starts getting wetter and colder, you see the visitor crowds trail off until you hit the playoffs. Visitor revenue is definitely much higher during the post season than it is during later regular season games.

Anyone know if this game is going to be streamed? I know Provi has a Youtube channel. Not sure if they are going to pay the fee for a 2nd round game to stream there. And I don't see anything on NFHS. Here is their Youtube link:

As an NFHS subscriber, I just sent a very nasty email to their service department. Basically saying if they're not covering the game and neither JCA nor PC get to stream it, they are GONE and can kiss my money goodbye. I would suggest you do the same.

I got their service dept email from attempting the Auto Bot Chat and quickly saying you are a useless and stupid Bot Chat and part of the Bot reply was their service dept email.

Supposedly the JCA @ PC game is on another $$$ service. Called High School Sports LIVE.

DELETED short cut for High School Sports LIVE, it was a total SCAM and I had to cancel my credit card. DO NOT USE.

Goodbye NFHS network

Last edited:
Supposedly the JCA @ PC game is on another $$$ service. Called High School Sports LIVE.

DELETED short cut, SCAM

Goodbye NFHS network
I'm not sure I would try this service. I got charged $1 for the free trial but now can't login AND it looks like it signed me up for some other free trial service and charged me like $4. This may be a SCAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamgroot
WJOL & wjol.com will broadcast an old school over-the-airwaves radio broadcast.
Though not the convenience that has become our world, there sure is a "coolness" to stepping back in time and letting the broadcast spur one's imagination of what is happening on the field.

Are you sure that it's NFHS' fault? I thought that it was the school that contracted with them to carry it

You are correct USD. In my 35 years of watching HS football I have not seen nor been to a game with so many people..
And my apologies to circletrack32.
No problem my friend. We all have those moments.

Are you sure that it's NFHS' fault? I thought that it was the school that contracted with them to carry it
I said poor streams aren't usually NFHS's fault, but rather the host school. The average NFHS stream isn't run by a person, it's a special camera called Pixellott that uses some AI to follow the action based upon the sport. They schedule the game and the camera turns on and does the rest. Where the stream goes bad is because sometimes the host school has terrible Internet. If the camera can't upload fast enough, then you can't see the stream and you get buffering or cutouts. Some schools will do manual productions where someone manually steers a camera which can sometimes be a good thing as a human can be smarter than the AI for detecting plays. Sometimes it's a bad thing because the person isn't paying attention or doesn't know what they're doing.

For post season events, NFHS will try to send crews out to cover them manually. Those crews typically bring their own equipment, hotspot, etc and are rhn by experienced broadcast people so they're generally higher quality broadcasts. The LWE vs NV game tonight is a good example of what is possible with the right knowledge and investment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT