ADVERTISEMENT

Inaugural CPL Playoff Seedings Look

thecpsblog

Sep 26, 2017
There's nothing worse than FOMO so since Catch and Soucie have the market cornered on State, our very own hot CPL action needed some love. Let's start this out with the clear disclaimer that logic and reasoning is definitely not a cornerstone of anything that Jaton does. So no matter what the matchups look like now (and hopefully the next few weeks) we're sure Jaton's "method"(which probably includes a dart board and kick backs from Max Preps) will be some variation of this!

For the uninitiated, CPL runs Week 9 of the regular season as week 1 of the CPL Playoffs. That leaves us with two weeks of matchups to hammer things out. Since we're just over a few hours from Week 7 kicking off let's get right to it. This year we get expanded playoffs. In recent years only team in Land of Lincoln and Red Bird were eligible for city playoffs. This year anyone that is eligible for state is eligible for city.

Since this is a hybrid, end of the "regular season"/first round of playoffs, let's guess the top two conferences will host games Week 9. This puts our top 12 teams as the Red Bird and the Land of Lincoln. Now once again we leave the realm of logic and reason and guess how the top 12 get seeded. Maybe this changes week to week, maybe it doesn't but for the initial guess, I'll go with ranking the conferences 1A and 1B because if we were going by only Max Preps Ranking, half of the top conferences would be out of the top 24. Since we're guessing on everything let's say Land of Lincoln will take 1A grouping and Red Bird can take 1B to give us our top 12. So as of today our seeds would be as follows...

1A Phillips
1B Kenwood
2A Whitney Young
2B Simeon
3A Taft
3B Morgan Park
4A Westinghouse
4B Hubbard
5A Lane Tech
5B Perspectives
6A Lincoln Park
6B Curie

If anyone wants to flip A with B, because it seems B is more competitive that works for me as well, but I had to get something on paper as getting stuck in the brain of the powers that be is not something I'm interested in...

With the rest of the Illini conference needing to fill out the remaining 12 slots we will take the conference winner and the runner up of the following conferences: Prairie State, Heartland, Big Shoulders, Windy CIty, Second City and Great Lakes.

Seeing as these teams come from multiple conferences and don't fit into an easy system I am taking the top two in the standing right now and placing their ranking solely off of Max Preps Chicago Rankings.

That gives us the following teams that will qualify for the playoffs...

Clark, Raby, North Lawndale, Kennedy, Hyde Park, Brooks, Amundsen, Mather, Carver, Julian, Goode and Comer

Taking into account our Max Preps Rankings seeds get distributed as the following.

24 Julian 23 Kennedy 22 Carver 21 Comer 20 Mather 19 North Lawndale 18 Raby 17 Hyde Park 16 Goode 15 Brooks 14 Clark 13 Amundsen

This then gives us the following matchups...

Julian @ Phillips

Kennedy @ Kenwood

Carver @ Young

Comer @ Simeon

Mather @ Taft

North Lawndale @ Morgan Park

Raby @ Westinghouse

Hyde Park @ Hubbard

Goode @ Lane

Brooks @ Perspectives

Clark @ Lincoln Park

Amundsen @ Curie

This is the greatest day ever. @thecpsblog you have answered my wishes with CPL Playoff Action.

First of all, is there any CPL coaches (looking at you @Coach Percy) that have access to the bracket and/or explanations as to how the matchups will be made? With the seemingly ridiculous overreliance on Maxpreps by CPL Sports admin, my bet would be that they just take the top 24 CPL Teams as ranked by Maxpreps. Of course, no one knows the Maxpreps algorithms, so this is clearly plausible, and the most likely scenario.
Don't forget, the other thing about the CPL Playoffs is that teams playing in the IHSA Playoffs can drop back into the CPL bracket, IF they don't win 2 IHSA games. In reality, it isn't a bracket at all, but a constant reshuffling of the highest seeds playing the lowest seeds.
Always a party in the CPL!

Top 16 make city playoffs. Top 5 from each of the top 2 conferences. Conference winners in each of the other Illini conferences

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Percy brings the hammer down on the Illini conferences just like his boys at Clark! It's time to say goodbye a few of our favorites...

Check back next week for a brand new edition with an updated seed list!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT