ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Top 50 Programs

If you count 1974 and 2024, and all the years in between, that would be a total of 51 years.

Just like 9 - 1 = 8. But if you count from 1 to 9, you have counted a total of 9 numbers.

So if the IHSA started with the year 1974 and wanted to use a total of 50 years, they would end with 2023.
E does in fact equal m c squared

Reactions: crusader_of_90
This is a horse pucky list. We are behind teams that have 100 less wins than us, less all staters, less all Americans, less D1 and NFL players.
Comical that you feel the need to mention D1 or NFL players. It's irrelevant to the list but you need to keep pissing that useless tidbit into the wind. Were you counting your D1 players after they lost to camp point central last year?

Additionally team(s) with 100 less wins in the past 50 years? i see one, Prairie Ridge. Prairie Ridge started their program 27 years ago and in that time has had an equal number of title appearances and wins to althoff, in 6a, 21 playoff appearances in 27 years of the program existing, and many playoff appearances that were ended by teams that we're sure to see in the top 30. Every other school released so far ahead of althoff is ahead in at least 3 of the 4 noted statistical categories.

Reactions: k1867
Comical that you feel the need to mention D1 or NFL players. It's irrelevant to the list but you need to keep pissing that useless tidbit into the wind. Were you counting your D1 players after they lost to camp point central last year?

Additionally team(s) with 100 less wins in the past 50 years? i see one, Prairie Ridge. Prairie Ridge started their program 27 years ago and in that time has had an equal number of title appearances and wins to althoff, in 6a, 21 playoff appearances in 27 years of the program existing, and many playoff appearances that were ended by teams that we're sure to see in the top 30. Every other school released so far ahead of althoff is ahead in at least 3 of the 4 noted statistical categories.
Three state titles in five visits - 329 wins, almost ALL played above their weight class.

As Wilt said to MJ, they changed the rules so I could not dominate. They changed the rules so you could.

Three state titles in five visits - 329 wins, almost ALL played above their weight class.

As Wilt said to MJ, they changed the rules so I could not dominate. They changed the rules so you could.
You say 329 wins an 3 wins of 5 appearances like that proves they should be higher on the list. 329 wins is less wins than everyone above them except for PR (who also had three state titles in five visits over the course of half the time). almost every school on the list has equal or better appearances/titles. both your points are bad and easily refuted, so you're just quoting some irrelevant tripe to cya

You say 329 wins an 3 wins of 5 appearances like that proves they should be higher on the list. 329 wins is less wins than everyone above them except for PR (who also had three state titles in five visits over the course of half the time). almost every school on the list has equal or better appearances/titles. both your points are bad and easily refuted, so you're just quoting some irrelevant tripe to cya
100 wins is 100 wins ... and when has PR ever played above their weight class? Woeful Huntley does not count.

#33 Richards (Oak Lawn)

The 1989 4A title game against Morris is probably one of my first football memories and also one of the best games I have still ever seen. The reminder in the write up about the INT on the last play of regulation that Morris came so close to returning for a TD is still heart breaking.
I think Reents played linebacker on that Morris team?

This is about the 50 years of IHSA playoffs and Althoff has made the playoffs 26 times. Tough to rank them higher when they've only been there half the time.

Top 50 IHSA Football Programs.

I contend that individuals developed by PROGRAMS should have some weight.

giphy.webp

Top 50 IHSA Football Programs.

I contend that individuals developed by PROGRAMS should have some weight.

giphy.webp
So what players were developed in the 1990's after their 1990 title? After 1990 they made the playoffs only twice in the decade. Tough to be ranked higher when they have multiple gaps of 4 years with no playoff appearances.

Maybe Schott should not have continued to play 6/8A teams then. But he'd never not play the big school. East and West were natural enemies, as was Edwardsville (GROWING) and O'Fallon (GROWING).

Should have started playing Waterloo and Columbia then, I guess. But he did not. That is not his style - or the program's.

There was a lull and then the old man went from ground and pound to Air Althoff . Hell, East Side had a lull then too, after Shannon. Then there were a few Coaches until Sunk settled in.
Which is why I don't think ESL will be #1. Seems like they are rewarding consistency.

Maybe Schott should not have continued to play 6/8A teams then. But he'd never not play the big school. East and West were natural enemies, as was Edwardsville (GROWING) and O'Fallon (GROWING).

Should have started playing Waterloo and Columbia then, I guess. But he did not. That is not his style - or the program's.
Who cares who they play in the regular season? Went from 1990 to 2012 without making a title game appearance.

I think Reents played linebacker on that Morris team?
I think Jeff graduated a couple years before that team. Not 100% sure on his graduation year, but my buddy who played on that ‘89 Morris team was a junior DL starter. He said Jeff was 3 or 4 years older.
I was there when Reents took over Wilmo in ‘94. I’m pretty sure he coached the previous year at JJC. I think Jeff was about the same age as Southall who graduated from Wilmo in 1988 I believe. Bolser was ‘89. The whole staff was all pretty young except Murphy.

Last edited:
Reactions: McEvergreen
Over the years, beaten Granite who ended ESL's national run. Pudukah Tillman - here and there. Even played there on a Saturday so the rest of the state could come to watch - huge shake-up for the South.

My year, beat Pudukah, then 3a champs Lutheran North and stomped Provi at the start of their rise and reign.

Classics with Rochester and SHG. Hell, when is the last time a 1A team beat an 8A team, let alone a playoff team? That happened this year. Beat a damned good Houston team there.

Earliest days with the STL Metro League with CBC, Soldan, SLU High - then the IHSA playoffs came about.

Way back, always played a top-team from southern MO - Schott's birthplace. jackson, Poplar Bluff or Sikeston.

Lost to a top-5 USA Today team. Who else swam in those deep waters? Produced three of the TOP EVER RBs - Hicky, Jason Ford and Dierre. Let alone Bester and the kid Navy converted to QB. Many more to boot.

Football enrollment happened because of us. As the old man said, "No one would care if we miss the playoffs because of that schedule, but when we make them and beat their ass, they have issues."

Over the years, beaten Granite who ended ESL's national run. Pudukah Tillman - here and there. Even played there on a Saturday so the rest of the state could come to watch - huge shake-up for the South.

My year, beat Pudukah, then 3a champs Lutheran North and stomped Provi at the start of their rise and reign.

Classics with Rochester and SHG. Hell, when is the last time a 1A team beat an 8A team, let alone a playoff team? That happened this year. Beat a damned good Houston team there.

Earliest days with the STL Metro League with CBC, Soldan, SLU High - then the IHSA playoffs came about.

Way back, always played a top-team from southern MO - Schott's birthplace. jackson, Poplar Bluff or Sikeston.

Lost to a top-5 USA Today team. Who else swam in those deep waters? Produced three of the TOP EVER RBs - Hicky, Jason Ford and Dierre. Let alone Bester and the kid Navy converted to QB. Many more to boot.

Football enrollment happened because of us. As the old man said, "No one would care if we miss the playoffs because of that schedule, but when we make them and beat their ass, they have issues."
So a handful of random regular season games over 50 years? They've made the playoffs numerous times and not beat too much ass. 5 title game appearances in 50 years. So they're worth mentioning once a decade?

Again, ALWAYS plays above weight class. And those mentioned were some of the more prominent, not all. Think of CG or PR playing in the Catholic Blue for their existence. The number of playoff appearances drop significantly.

Again, ALWAYS plays above weight class. And those mentioned were some of the more prominent, not all. Think of CG or PR playing in the Catholic Blue for their existence. The number of playoff appearances drop significantly.
Always played above their weight class but then drop down for playoffs and don't consistently win. How does that deserve a higher ranking?

Who cares who they play in the regular season? Went from 1990 to 2012 without making a title game appearance.
4A - OT

We always used to joke if your name contained more than two syllables - with the exception of Tony Chesharek - you were for forbidden from playing at Morris:

Roos
Steele
Brady
Dergo
Feeny
Terry
Stump
Yard
Sharp
Cumbie
Trotter
Barclay
Varner
Button

What is it with you guys? 😂😂😂

Reactions: 4Afan
4A - OT

We always used to joke if your name contained more than two syllables - with the exception of Tony Chesharek - you were for forbidden from playing at Morris:

Roos
Steele
Brady
Dergo
Feeny
Terry
Stump
Yard
Sharp
Cumbie
Trotter
Barclay
Varner
Button

What is it with you guys? 😂😂😂
Even more funny because we got plenty of Polaks around town.

• Haha
Reactions: all4theillini
A group of world beaters here ...
Cary-Grove High School
Central High School Burlington
Crystal Lake Central High School
Crystal Lake South
Dundee-Crown High School
Carpentersville Chargers
Hampshire High School Hampshire
Huntley High School Huntley
Jacobs High School
McHenry High School
Prairie Ridge High School

Playing pansies every year. Yes, they have a few titles, but they can't be seen as great without challenging themselves.
Who cares who you play in the regular season? As long as you're the last team standing at the end.

Great, Althoff has played and beat some larger schools, so what? Did they get a trophy for beating an 8A team in the regular season?

A group of world beaters here ...
Cary-Grove High School
Central High School Burlington
Crystal Lake Central High School
Crystal Lake South
Dundee-Crown High School
Carpentersville Chargers
Hampshire High School Hampshire
Huntley High School Huntley
Jacobs High School
McHenry High School
Prairie Ridge High School
You realize Althoff has 3 teams on their schedule that are 0-7.

Again who cares about the regular season? Yes PR plays in a closed conference with only CG to worry about but then come playoff time when the competition is stiffer they rise to the occasion just as much as Althoff has and in only half the time.

Althoff: 26/49 years Playoff Appearances, 5 State Title Appearances/3 Titles and .629 Win %
Prairie Ridge: 21/26 years Playoff Appearances, 5 State Title Appearances/3 Titles and .721 Win %

Who cares who you play in the regular season? As long as you're the last team standing at the end.

Great, Althoff has played and beat some larger schools, so what? Did they get a trophy for beating an 8A team in the regular season?
But did they lose to a top 5 USA Today team one time years ago…

Reactions: 4Afan
I think Jeff graduated a couple years before that team. Not 100% sure on his graduation year, but my buddy who played on that ‘89 Morris team was a junior DL starter. He said Jeff was 3 or 4 years older.
I was there when Reents took over Wilmo in ‘94. I’m pretty sure he coached the previous year at JJC. I think Jeff was about the same age as Southall who graduated from Wilmo in 1988 I believe. Bolser was ‘89. The whole staff was all pretty young except Murphy.
Murphy was one of those guys who looked old when he was in middle school 😂

• Haha
Reactions: SiuCubFan8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT