ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Proposals Are Out

That would not be good...
Well, per the above stated stat, there are 3x as many publics as privates. And votes go to the majority usually, right? While there are publics that can compete for state, my experience is that they all resent the fact that the privates can recruit but publics get shamed for transfers. If it was a vote, in this negative culture, don't be too surprised to see enough publics go their own way for playoffs. I would be amazed if they would ever consider giving up on the multipliers, so the two groups will always resent each other for something.

Post up $12.5K and we can talk. End of story.

$12.5K for EVERYONE???? Any exceptions, Mr. Big Money?

In addition, the private kids are already getting a “superior” education (lol), why the need to be superior in athletics also? Can’t you guys leave anything to the average people who can’t afford (or choose not) to pay out an extra $12.5k annually per child?

Please, Have Mercy...........

Last edited:
If it was the better option it would have been done years ago.
Don’t cherry pick. We debated last night. Let’s be big boys and not pretend our discussion didn’t happen. I mentioned multiple times that the marriage was comfortable enough not to do anything. Separation changes that equation and the Privates will not stay beholden to some faceless bureaucrats if the only thing they are doing is administration. Should I screenshot my posts from last night to jog your memory?

In that separation proposal, there was NO MENTION of any of the limiting rules and regs that apply to private schools only.

Why would private schools want to remain in an association with separate playoffs for boundaried and non-boundaried (read private) schools when said association STILL maintains rules and regulations that are designed to limit their competitiveness against boundaried public schools in the playoffs?

Seriously, that's pretty ballsy of the school making this proposal. More than likely, the person who wrote the proposal didn't even give it a thought. Because if s/he had thought of it, and STILL kept those rules and regs in place, then that just boggles the mind.

Give me the NIPL! Give me athletic scholarships! Give me no success factors, no multipliers, no 30 mile radii, no discriminatory transfer rules, and no restrictions on recruiting athletically.

Let the market decide.

Total separation imho is not ideal, but if you can disassociate yourself with Loyola and other large metropolitan high schools and think like a downstate yokel it’s really not that difficult.

Reactions: Gene K.
Althoff won't get spring ball because other sports like Basketball will be all year as well. Most football kids don't want to play spring ball, it's more the coaches.
You've limited your thinking too narrowly. New rules - new game. Althoff used to have 1500 kids in the building - we can take the influx. We could seek sponsors, we could do all the things no one else can do in a 30-mile radius, which I mention out of nostalgia.

Althoff would get the kids that come from STL to ESL - and keep the ones who cross the river to go to the more prestigious Catholic schools, like CBC, SLUH and DeSmet.

You've limited your thinking too narrowly. New rules - new game. Althoff used to have 1500 kids in the building - we can take the influx. We could seek sponsors, we could do all the things no one else can do in a 30-mile radius, which I mention out of nostalgia.

Althoff would get the kids that come from STL to ESL - and keep the ones who cross the river to go to the more prestigious Catholic schools, like CBC, SLUH and DeSmet.

I don’t know why you folks aren’t all for separating. Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! It would allow for the creation of regional if not national powerhouses.

Reactions: RockSoup

I understand your point however relaxed rules or no rules won’t change the game. There is a loop hole in every IHSA rule that exist now so the change will not be as drastic as you are making is seem. With a Coach like Schott was in the 90’s they would be close to your future State now. Money or rules isn’t the issue at Althoff which is a different topic. There are 4 kids at Lutheran North that should have gone to Althoff. Imagine Jack Beuford at Althoff four years versus Lutheran North. Right now kids are running from Althoff and paying to go to school in St Louis.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I understand your point however relaxed rules or no rules won’t change the game. There is a loop hole in every IHSA rule that exist now so the change will not be as drastic as you are making is seem. With a Coach like Schott was in the 90’s they would be close to your future State now. Money or rules isn’t the issue at Althoff which is a different topic. There are 4 kids at Lutheran North that should have gone to Althoff. Imagine Jack Beuford at Althoff four years versus Lutheran North. Right now kids are running from Althoff and paying to go to school in St Louis.
See where Hickey's boy is at? Isiah is a stud too!

Vic has his boys at CBC - the frosh QB and 7th grader - there will be Fausts slinging it for them for four years.

I never understood why they gave Turner the job over Jimmy ... I've heard the official and barstool versions from the selection committee. Neither was a compelling reason.

Yes Cru90, a couple of posters are not understanding the implications of this and the great opportunities this will open up for the serious student athlete and the separated schools. They can’t wrap their heads around the fact that high school sports existed before 1974 and will exist after the 2020 separation. And the reason it hasn’t happened sooner was nothing drastic enough happened to leave.

Two keys will be the streaming capability and paying NFHS certified officials what they are worth.

Don’t cherry pick. We debated last night. Let’s be big boys and not pretend our discussion didn’t happen. I mentioned multiple times that the marriage was comfortable enough not to do anything. Separation changes that equation and the Privates will not stay beholden to some faceless bureaucrats if the only thing they are doing is administration. Should I screenshot my posts from last night to jog your memory?

My stance has not changed that most would stay. They do not have the money to compete with the top catholic schools for players in an open market.

Then After the separation, turn the heat on the state from freedom loving people and make school choice a real thing. Public school sports would just offer intramural sports in a decade.

Yes Cru90, a couple of posters are not understanding the implications of this and the great opportunities this will open up for the serious student athlete and the separated schools. They can’t wrap their heads around the fact that high school sports existed before 1974 and will exist after the 2020 separation. And the reason it hasn’t happened sooner was nothing drastic enough happened to leave.

Two keys will be the streaming capability and paying NFHS certified officials what they are worth.

The money needed to pay for all these kids to. Kids do not care about refs.

And this needs to be done for ALL sports..... and this is why the open enrollment schools need the IHSA..

My stance has not changed that most would stay. They do not have the money to compete with the top catholic schools for players in an open market.
Why don’t you understand that many programs closed under IHSA rule. You are correct that vulnerable schools that are not supplied by the bottomless pockets of the taxpayer will continue to close under or not under IHSA rule. Their only chance for survival may be to go under a tighter more helpful umbrella. Running a vulnerable program is not guaranteed success by staying.

And this needs to be done for ALL sports..... and this is why the open enrollment schools need the IHSA..
Need? Was anyone alive prior to 1974? Believe it or not, other sports existed also before 1974.

Why don’t you understand that many programs closed under IHSA rule. You are correct that vulnerable schools that are not supplied by the bottomless pockets of the taxpayer will continue to close under or not under IHSA rule. Their only chance for survival may be to go under a tighter more helpful umbrella. Running a vulnerable program is not guaranteed success by staying.

What do you not understand that even more will close? Do you know how leveraged most of these schools are with all the facility upgrades? No one is going to pay to go to a school who can't win unless it is Ignatius.

Proposal 4 is NOT getting enough attention. The Edgyboard would be on fire.

Summary of Proposed Changes:
• Requires IHSA to share publicly (via IHSA.org) the votes cast by each school on each by-law amendment proposal as well as identifying those schools that don’t participate.

What do you not understand that even more will close? Do you know how leveraged most of these schools are with all the facility upgrades? No one is going to pay to go to a school who can't win unless it is Ignatius.
Thank you for supporting school choice to ensure these schools that you worry so much about stay open. One more vote. About 4.1 million more to go.

See where Hickey's boy is at? Isiah is a stud too!

Vic has his boys at CBC - the frosh QB and 7th grader - there will be Fausts slinging it for them for four years.

I never understood why they gave Turner the job over Jimmy ... I've heard the official and barstool versions from the selection committee. Neither was a compelling reason.

Hickey's kid was at SLU but now is at Lutheran North. He is one of the 4 kids I mentioned. Five Star Travion Ford at Lutheran North lives in O'fallon Illinois. Older brother graduated from O'fallon. You see where I am going. All these kids could be at Althoff now. You get my point.

Hickey's kid was at SLU but now is at Lutheran North. He is one of the 4 kids I mentioned. Five Star Travion Ford at Lutheran North lives in O'fallon Illinois. Older brother graduated from O'fallon. You see where I am going. All these kids could be at Althoff now. You get my point.
Hickey's boy is on the SLU roster - a sophomore - and has been cathing TDs all year. Even last week.

You're telling me he transferred in season????????

Like the schools proposing separation. Turn back the clock. Throwback Thursday

IHSA has never separated schools based on open/closed boundaries.. Seems to make sense to me, classify kids based on how they get their kids, private schools have an edge with their recruiting, thus the need to split them up..

I can not WAIT to the the private school leagues cross country, tennis etc state meets...

IHSA has never separated schools based on open/closed boundaries.. Seems to make sense to me, classify kids based on how they get their kids, private schools have an edge with their recruiting, thus the need to split them up..
Makes sense to me also. Change the multiplier to x 3 and base the private’s class on football enrollment (I loved football enrollment) would not be enough to force open enrollment schools to find a new direction.

Separation is a different story, we can handle the administrative duties ourselves in the computer age. Last post on the subject. Fun pre playoff banter, speculation.

Please reference all my way too many posts for all my opinions on this matter and the pros and cons of it

May both our dreams come true

All, I get it and agree. Playing the same team in post season as you did in the regular season would get boring quick. IHSA allowed a request up (that I disagree with) so that schools could place themselves in a reasonable class. Some schools took advantage of it and didn't see it as punishment ie ESL and Phillips. Doing this would probably fix everything except seeding.

Some schools should probably take a nice hard look at that request up form.

Can’t you guys leave anything to the average people who can’t afford (or choose not) to pay out an extra $12.5k annually per child?

Who said I can afford it?

I don't see a problem for LWE, GBW, MS and other public powers.

Many of the public school supporters beating the separation drum on here have no idea what they’re asking for. So many people want to cry about Catholic schools “recruiting” and giving out “scholarships”, there are some that accused Catholic schools of stealing kids from the public school “in the middle of the night”. I’m not here to argue all that, let’s assume these asinine accusations are completely accurate... Catholic schools are still governed by the IHSA, the IHSA still rules these kids eligible. So the IHSA is policing the Privates. Now imagine they actually separated. Imagine the private schools formed their own organization that was no longer heavily concerned with the competitiveness of public schools. Imagine all these schools that are already “cheating” being able to do whatever they want. No one is governing them, in fact it’s encouraged as the privates would want to dominate the HS landscape. A similar split happened in New Jersey awhile back and there is a reason that all the talent comes from Catholic schools. There’s a reason that you can name Paramus Catholic, Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco and St Joe’s but struggle to name any powerhouse public schools. D1 transfers are aplenty out there. Be careful what you wish public schools, a split doesn’t help you at all, it just gives you less to bitch about.

Many of the public school supporters beating the separation drum on here have no idea what they’re asking for. So many people want to cry about Catholic schools “recruiting” and giving out “scholarships”, there are some that accused Catholic schools of stealing kids from the public school “in the middle of the night”. I’m not here to argue all that, let’s assume these asinine accusations are completely accurate... Catholic schools are still governed by the IHSA, the IHSA still rules these kids eligible. So the IHSA is policing the Privates. Now imagine they actually separated. Imagine the private schools formed their own organization that was no longer heavily concerned with the competitiveness of public schools. Imagine all these schools that are already “cheating” being able to do whatever they want. No one is governing them, in fact it’s encouraged as the privates would want to dominate the HS landscape. A similar split happened in New Jersey awhile back and there is a reason that all the talent comes from Catholic schools. There’s a reason that you can name Paramus Catholic, Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco and St Joe’s but struggle to name any powerhouse public schools. D1 transfers are aplenty out there. Be careful what you wish public schools, a split doesn’t help you at all, it just gives you less to bitch about.

All that said...... is it fair as it currently stands?

All that said...... is it fair as it currently stands?
What’s fair? One side has free (tax payer funded) tuition albeit boundaried. One side non-boundaried but have tuition. If anyone has concrete evidence of a non-boundaried school not adhering to the IHSA by laws, don’t put an anecdotal my cousin said story on this site, contact the IHSA and shut that program down.

Break it up by income demographics, break it up by Publics that have the most fortunate boundaries, break it up by who has successful coaches and who doesn’t. What’s fair? No one loses?

Reactions: ramblinman
This is one of the better public/private debates we’ve had on this site. Great points all around. Good stuff to digest.

Hickey's boy is on the SLU roster - a sophomore - and has been cathing TDs all year. Even last week.

You're telling me he transferred in season????????

No, I haven't looked at the Roster. Hickey stated that he was transferring him to LN this summer so I assumed he was there. He and the Pride kid.

Play by the same rules.....or split em up. Look at 5A and tell me that a school like LaSalle Peru, Kaneland, Rochelle, Sterling, Freeport, etc has a chance against the recruiting abilities of Montini,St Rita, JCA—- even if those teams were allowed to recruit these are towns with 15,000 total residents and cornfields on all 4 sides. Where the heck can they draw players from? The privates in the city and burb`s have literally millions to draw from. On the field it is 11 vs 11. But who are those 11? A team of 11 studs recruited into a small school will dominate a larger school every time. But progress is being made. I was laughed at on this very forum just a few years ago for saying privates recruited and had an unfair advantage. Now they aren’t even trying to deny it. Some say the high tuition makes up for the ability to recruit. Sure it does. If a kid is a top player he will get in, somebody will make sure of it. See what would happen to the enrollment at those privates if the rules said you had to live in the district or no football. You can still go to the school and get a great education but no sports. Same rules or split em up.

You can only name those schools because they play out of state opponents. Outside of that, you can't name a high profile player form any of those schools you listed. Let's be clear, Most public schools that are 6A and higher are not concerned with private schools. In those situations, its more of an even playing field with publics and privates. What the private folks miss is that if there is a separation, LA will win most of the championships which will minimize the sexiness of most of the mid level privates. If Naz, JC and Montini had to play LA, MC every year for a championship, how long will the D1 players keep going to those schools. Meanwhile the Public school are having matchups like LWE vs GBW or ESL vs MS or Warren vs Oswego. You get the picture.

Last edited:
"So many people want to cry about Catholic schools “recruiting” and giving out “scholarships”, there are some that accused Catholic schools of stealing kids from the public school “in the middle of the night”. "

LOL, man that really got to you.

Play by the same rules.....or split em up. Look at 5A and tell me that a school like LaSalle Peru, Kaneland, Rochelle, Sterling, Freeport, etc has a chance against the recruiting abilities of Montini,St Rita, JCA—- even if those teams were allowed to recruit these are towns with 15,000 total residents and cornfields on all 4 sides. Where the heck can they draw players from? The privates in the city and burb`s have literally millions to draw from. On the field it is 11 vs 11. But who are those 11? A team of 11 studs recruited into a small school will dominate a larger school every time. But progress is being made. I was laughed at on this very forum just a few years ago for saying privates recruited and had an unfair advantage. Now they aren’t even trying to deny it. Some say the high tuition makes up for the ability to recruit. Sure it does. If a kid is a top player he will get in, somebody will make sure of it. See what would happen to the enrollment at those privates if the rules said you had to live in the district or no football. You can still go to the school and get a great education but no sports. Same rules or split em up.
How big of a district would it be for the privates to pull from?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT