ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA opening up for summer camps

Update from IHSA:

We have had a busy week at IHSA as we are preparing for and hopeful that some opportunities for student and coach interaction under the Phase 3 guidance per the Restore Illinois Plan will be permitted. According to Pritzker, we anticipate all regions in Illinois will move to Phase 3 on May 29th. This would permit non-essential groups of 10 or fewer to gather. As a result our Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) put together some guidance for schools to follow based on CDC and state health department information. These guidelines have been approved by the IHSA Board and are awaiting approval by ISBE and IDPH. When we receive approval from these groups, we will be forwarding information to the schools. It is important to note that the local school districts make the final decision on whether or not gatherings of a teacher/coach and students will be permitted by their district.

It makes sense. Once gyms start opening, there is no reason for the school athletic programs to not resume their training programs in the controlled environment with the usual supervision. Otherwise, the kids go to the local Y / fitness club / park district workout facility and get subjected to the regular population going back to working out...and running off the older people who probably need to be using those facilities.

Beside. let your team build herd immunity to itself...

Update from IHSA:

We have had a busy week at IHSA as we are preparing for and hopeful that some opportunities for student and coach interaction under the Phase 3 guidance per the Restore Illinois Plan will be permitted. According to Pritzker, we anticipate all regions in Illinois will move to Phase 3 on May 29th. This would permit non-essential groups of 10 or fewer to gather. As a result our Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) put together some guidance for schools to follow based on CDC and state health department information. These guidelines have been approved by the IHSA Board and are awaiting approval by ISBE and IDPH. When we receive approval from these groups, we will be forwarding information to the schools. It is important to note that the local school districts make the final decision on whether or not gatherings of a teacher/coach and students will be permitted by their district.
May I ask where this is from?

Reactions: Jaymopolo
It makes sense. Once gyms start opening, there is no reason for the school athletic programs to not resume their training programs in the controlled environment with the usual supervision. Otherwise, the kids go to the local Y / fitness club / park district workout facility and get subjected to the regular population going back to working out...and running off the older people who probably need to be using those facilities.

Beside. let your team build herd immunity to itself...
I don’t think any gyms will be open until phase 4. Pretty much everything in phase 3 has to be done outdoors in groups of 10 or less except 1 on 1 personal training. That being said I would imagine that industry will start to put pressure on the governor and he will give them an exception in the second half of June.

I don’t think any gyms will be open until phase 4. Pretty much everything in phase 3 has to be done outdoors in groups of 10 or less except 1 on 1 personal training. That being said I would imagine that industry will start to put pressure on the governor and he will give them an exception in the second half of June.
Those gyms with big garage doors and some outdoor space will likely get creative.

Let's see ... upcoming Phase 3 personal training at $35+ per session vs. basic unlimited monthly membership for $10 pre-pandemic? I do not see people beating down the doors for that new deal in my local gym.

Kankakee County, stuck in the region with Chicago for now, according to the County Board President and Health Dept. has already exceeded the requirements to enter phase 4. At some point the lawsuits are going to turn on the time frames as being unsupportable … and the Governor will likely fold. Mayor Lightfoot in her news conference today basically admitted that there is no reason for DuPage county to be in the same region as Chicago...

And I'll be realistic...at least one bar in Bradley allegedly was given the blessings of the County Health Dept. and municipal liquor commissioner to open today...subject, of course, to the specter of the state liquor license issues...I'm going to drive by in a bit and see what's going on...County Board President/Liquor Commissioner has given the same approval to anyone with a county controlled local license - per the Daily Journal. And the sheriff has indicated he will not enforce the state rules, and the State's Attorney seems to be of the same inkling (although he's a Democrat, so I haven't seen any official notice from him). At some point there just won't be enough State Police to write tickets that no one is interested in enforcing...

I strongly believe that June 1 will see many outside of Chicago schools working their training programs...working within the distancing and grouping requirements...

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
I think the guidelines from the NFHS will probably be followed more than those of the governor. Those seem to read that interaction and group sizes will be limited and activities outside for awhile.

If ihsa says the nfhs guidelines must be followed, I think you're going to see a lot teams actively not following the nfhs guidelines

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT