ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA: New Safety limitations proposal....

I was going to post this yesterday as well but not drowned in the dumpster fire. I don't like it. Now you can't have a kid play sophs and potentially get some snaps here and there on Varsity.

1 snap = 1 game
Don’t understand this part of the rule.

4 quarters in one night - no next day game would be understandable

If such a big push then it should be across the board with other sports of IHSA that have the same or more safety concerns!!

Several schools play a game on Saturday one week then play on Friday the next. This’d put an underclassmen who plays at the JV and varsity in a tricky situation. Especially for smaller schools this could create more fatigue as starters may not be able to get a breather or cover every special teams snap, possibly creating the opposite of what the rule seeks to change.

Reactions: Gene K.
So let’s run up some scores, if the jv squad is not going to play outside their game these varsity scores are going to get ugly especially 6A down. There is probably enough depth on the big 8A public school team to sub in non players late in the game, but if you want to develop promising underclassmen your in a catch 22 as a coach.

See link.

I can definitely see this being an issue more on the smaller classes/lower enrollment schools

IHSA: New Safety player limitation proposal

So many smaller schools are going to varsity and JV that this doesn't matter to them. I think 5 I-8 teams only had two levels last year and thats at the 3A/4A level..

It says can't play in consecutive days.. but playing in two games same night is ok?

So many smaller schools are going to varsity and JV that this doesn't matter to them. I think 5 I-8 teams only had two levels last year and thats at the 3A/4A level..

It says can't play in consecutive days.. but playing in two games same night is ok?
reading is a skill. cannot play in 2 games in a week. 1 play = 1 game. That would mean no player can get a single rep in both games.

reading is a skill. cannot play in 2 games in a week. 1 play = 1 game. That would mean no player can get a single rep in both games.

Yes, reading is a skill

From the IHSA website.

Weekly Player Limitations for Football 1. A player shall not play in more than 2 games in any one week. For the purposes of this section, a week is defined as the seven-day period running from Sunday through the following Saturday. (It is recommended that if a player does play in 2 games in a given week, one of those games is only as a one-way player [i.e., only plays on offense or defense or special teams]) 2. Players cannot play in games on consecutive days or be involved in live contact/thud in practice the day after playing in a game. 3. 1 play in a game equals a game played

so can a player play in 2 games? or just not MORE than 2 games. How many kids are playing in 3 games?

so can a player play in 2 games? or just not MORE than 2 games. How many kids are playing in 3 games?

I have heard of it in schools that play freshmen and sophs during the week, varsity on Friday... prominent roles on lower levels, maybe kickoff teams on Friday..

See link.

I can definitely see this being an issue more on the smaller classes/lower enrollment schools

IHSA: New Safety player limitation proposal

Let me propose a situation:

Lets say your starting QBs helmet comes off during a play and has to be removed for 1 play by rule. You then put in your backup until the starter is able to return (1 play). Now that backup QB cannot play the next day in the JV game.

Under this new rule that is how it will shake out. Correct?

Let me propose a situation:

Lets say your starting QBs helmet comes off during a play and has to be removed for 1 play by rule. You then put in your backup until the starter is able to return (1 play). Now that backup QB cannot play the next day in the JV game.

Under this new rule that is how it will shake out. Correct?

Sadly.....correct.

Let the coaches coach and let them do their jobs

Reactions: Hillini74
Sadly.....correct.

Let the coaches coach and let them do their jobs

This will hurt player participation. Numbers are dropping as it is, this will for sure have an impact on depth/JV players on all rosters. I have no idea how this will work for conferences who don't play soph games.

It sounds like the consecutive games is the huge issue.

This will affect all programs.

Even with the really big schools with large numbers, you still have tons of guys playing Soph and also JV. Same with Frosh playing up on Soph to add depth.

Normal schedule
* Varsity and sophs Friday nite
* Frosh and JV on Sat morning.

The way I am reading this is: No one can keep the back to back schedule. Frosh and JV would need to move to the Wed before the main Friday games to be compliant with this new rule OR the schools drop a couple teams and go with Varsity and JV only on Friday nite. Lots of kids wouldn’t play (especially Frosh) and this would kill numbers further.

If I’m reading it correctly this is Not good. This rule will either cause scheduling nightmares or will cause multiple lower levels to get dropped.

CPS typically has their frosh/sophs games on tuesdays during conference play. So this rule change doesn’t hurt too much.

However, I didn’t see anyone else mention that one of the 2 games during the week your player is only allowed to play one way. Offense, Defense, or Special Teams. This is a problem with CPS and many other small schools. Unfortunately it will be yet another rule that many CPS coaches will break.

Reactions: Gene K.
Oh no you mean you'd have to get rid of sophomore games on Friday nights? Oh the horror.....

Good for you guys and the media for sure as they could start the varsity games earlier. Would be nice in the sense that we are all not getting back at midnight or later from away games and exhausted all weekend!

Maybe everyone will follow the CPS schedule and play on Tuesdays.

Who’s going to monitor the play one way rule with all thos kids going in and out of the game?

Does this concept need to be tweaked? Certainly. Could the general idea work? Certainly. The I-8 format would likely become the norm: Soph-Varsity on Friday, Freshmen on Monday. You are going to lose the ability for sophs to get varsity experience in blowouts, and the freshmen who play on the soph team will be limited to playing one way on one of the levels. The one play rule, questioned by someone who says the backup QB plays one play when the starter loses his helmet, means that he played only one way in one game, so he can play in the other both ways - as long as it is not Fri-Sat.

There will be two types of rebellion: first, big schools with JV programs will have to tweak the Fri-Sat schedule. I presume that will be difficult, as playing Monday doubleheaders Fr-JV would recreate Friday night. And kids who play only special teams on Friday couldn't play Sat. So if a coach has to choose playing scrubs in a Friday blowout or have them play the Sat. JV game, somehow the poorer programs will be even more embarrassed when the end of the bench can't run out the running clock....

Second, Fr programs will become more difficult. A program like Wilmington, for example, where the best Fr will start both Fr & Soph, will be hurt in some ways, as presumably the Fr will only be able to play one way on Monday. But it will build depth, as more Fr will get to play significant time in the Fr game. So, again, you may hurt the poorer programs because this rule will allow the better programs to develop more Fr and give them more playing time...

And I figure this will have little effect upon the really small schools, who only have 40 kids in the whole program Fr-Sr, because everyone will dress Varsity on Friday, and the scrubs will play in the Monday game...

CPS typically has their frosh/sophs games on tuesdays during conference play. So this rule change doesn’t hurt too much.

However, I didn’t see anyone else mention that one of the 2 games during the week your player is only allowed to play one way. Offense, Defense, or Special Teams. This is a problem with CPS and many other small schools. Unfortunately it will be yet another rule that many CPS coaches will break.

Break? Most of these guys don't even read the rules, let alone know what they are.

Are these proposed new regulations a solution in search of a problem? If not, then what data is the IHSA using to identify the problem and justify the solution? Are too many kids playing too many downs? If so, what is the extent of the problem, and where is the line being drawn between simply being tired from playing a large number of downs and reaching a point of health risk from playing too many? How many downs in how many days are too many for high school players, and what percentage of players are playing too many downs? Is going both ways and playing every down in a game as a WR and FS the same health risk as going both ways and playing every down on the DL and OL?

These proposed regulations just seem to me to be more "one size fits all" regulation from the IHSA. They come up with sweeping policies that apply to all players and schools, or to certain types of schools, but that don't work for some/many schools and players based on school size, size of squads, type of school, positions being played, geography, strength of program, or whatever.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

(It is recommended that if a player does play in 2 games in a given week, one of those games is only as a one-way player [i.e., only plays on offense or defense or special teams])

Not a rule, no idea why they put in a recommendation.

As usual the IHSA is searching for a problem that doesn't exist. And I'm not going to lie: If there's a JV game Saturday you best believe this rule will be broken.

There are conferences that now play a freshman game on Friday night followed by the Varsity game, and a JV game on Saturday morning. This rule if passed (and I’m reading it correctly) would prevent this practice.

Reactions: weckler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT