ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas on how to get the suntimes and the Chicago tribune to start following and reporting on footbal

The new owner of the Tribune has a history of reducing the newsroom staff of papers that it has acquired. As much as I would like to see their glory years of HS coverage, it is just not in the cards.

I would say jump in a time machine and take yourself back to 1989. It’s over.

Last edited:
This site has surpassed all that coverage anyway. Even 20 years ago HS coverage, this site today blows that away. I know more now about different players and conferences than I ever did 20 years ago and I was a 3 newspaper-to-follow HS sports kind of guy since the 70s.

Saying this tho does not discount the great life’s work and dedication that @Quags57 @LakeCtyNewt @Prep writer have put in for us in their great coverage of HS sports

The Bright One isn’t too bad, at least they cover some. The Trib is a dead fish wrap for high school sports. The Daily Herald tops both.

Yes, the Sun Times has decent coverage (Michael O'Brien especially) For the Trib, their suburban papers (Southtown, eg) are pretty good. Go to https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ and pick the paper closest to you.

The Herald is wonderful for west and north suburbs ... Unless you are a subscriber, though, you can't always access the story. At the moment, they're allowing people five free stories.

I used to get MC stories from the NW Indiana Times, but they went all -ndiana a few years back (although the paper is sold in nearby Illinois communities.)

This site has surpassed all that coverage anyway.

That's true. For those of us who can't get enough of it three months out of the year, this site's coverage can't be beat. The Daily Herald is good, and so is The Daily Southtown with DiSabato. I'm glad that Michael O'Brien's Super 25 is around, but this site has the breadth and depth, and it's served with a slice of comedy.

Reactions: Schwab54
FWIW: I have recently noted that the sometimes the Tribune has as there main headlines news reports which were originated by the Washington Post or the NY Times reporters. They have obviously really cut back on the group of reporters that they used to have. In the meantime, my subscription has consistently went up ever two years or so. The colonel must be rolling over in his grave. LOL

I thought the Sun Times got Better this year without Beth Long.

She would have Loyola and Maine South ranked 1 & 2 right now on habit alone.

Reactions: Gene K.
I would say jump in a time machine and take yourself back to 1989. It’s over.

You're sadly right. To paraphrase the alive but looks like he is late, Rick Pitino, "Taylor Bell is not walking through that door, fans. Barry Temkin is not walking through that door, and Bob Sakamoto is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and really old."

In 1996, during a job interview at Northwestern University, this fresh-faced journalism grad told the interviewer: Print is dead ... or will be dead soon. (Soon being a few years off.) The internet will take over.

This person disagreed - the portability is an issue.

Then I made a questionable statement: The day I can bring digital media to the bathroom instead of the paper, that's when you call the time of death.

She disagreed, but somehow I got the job.

In 1996, during a job interview at Northwestern University, this fresh-faced journalism grad told the interviewer: Print is dead ... or will be dead soon. (Soon being a few years off.) The internet will take over.

This person disagreed - the portability is an issue.

Then I made a questionable statement: The day I can bring digital media to the bathroom instead of the paper, that's when you call the time of death.

She disagreed, but somehow I got the job.

Hired and nailed the future. Remember when you had to lug a fat Sunday newspaper to the crapper? Now it's all in a 6 oz. handheld computer. Disruption is the best.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Hired and nailed the future. Remember when you had to lug a fat Sunday newspaper to the crapper? Now it's all in a 6 oz. handheld computer. Disruption is the best.
Never a more complete disruptor. I can even watch TV from the throne - greater service and fit in my pocket.

Grabbing the paper and walking out of the room was more like announcing: I’m taking a dump. Then the obligatory deflecting joke.

Mobile media has advanced society.

News of the basketball scores is great.

For those of you bemoaning the shortage of prep coverage, please note that the ST is doing a remarkable job considering their financial situation.

If you want a city with two strong newspapers, I suggest you invest about $25 and subscribe to the e-edition of the Sun Times. Their overall sports coverage is fantastic and their Saturday sports special section is very well done.

While I also like the Trib, they waste three-quarters of the front page of their sports section with a huge color photo of some Cub or some Bear. Enough already! Write something.

Again, consider subscribing to the ST e-edition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT