ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 4 predictions and reactions

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Here we go ICE week 4........

Braidwood (3-0) @ Manteno (0-3) - After 3 years of negativity toward the vomits, er comets, I will be the first to give credit. These boys seem like they can play. Beat up on Lisle pretty good. I would say that win gurantees playoffs since I can't see them not winning 2 more. Six wins is a very real possibility. Braidwood uses the momentum and rolls Manteno to set themselves up for a battle with Peotone and Wilmington. Hopefully they don't look ahead. Shouldn't matter either way. Comets big.

Coal City (1-2) @ Herscher (2-1) - Coal City needs this one and I am not sure Herscher is going to be able to keep it close. Heard they are down players and their previous games have me confused. They are super physical too. CC plays motivated football for a three score win.

Streator (3-0) @ Lisle (2-1) - I am always high on Lisle for some odd reason. They really struggled against RC. To add to this game's intrigue Streator has been impressive and starting 3-0 is a huge surprise. Playoff bound bulldogs? We shall see, this week would increase those chances drastically. I'm not sure they are legit just yet. Being said, I still like Lisle at home. Give me the lions by a TD.

Peotone (3-0) @ Wilmington (3-0) - GOTW! Not just because I am from Wilmo but I still feel this is for the conference championship. Oct 1 when RC and WHS meet that will probably be for the championship. Still think This game has more weight though. The harley's will be reving and so will the Wilmo offense. Power football at it's finest. Difference is I think that The cats can stop the Tone and not so much the other way. GIve me Wilmo by 14.

Braidwood @ Manteno. Manteno is in bad shape and the Comets are rolling. Braidwood has hit on cylinders but haven't played anyone really good. Braidwood by a ton 41-13

Coal City @ Herscher. CC just had a rough three game schedule and the Tigers started hot but dropped what seemed to be a wild one to Streator. If Herscher is healthy they could make this a game. CC needs to find some offense stat. Can't keep relying on defense to win games. CC 24 Herscher 7

Streator @ Lisle. Streator has shocked us all, I don't think Lisle is as talented as they have been the last 6 or so years. I like the Bulldogs to remain undefeated. Streator 34 Lisle 20

Peotone @ Wilmington. Both undefeated and both looking to take a foot hold at the top of the ICE. Wimington was sloppy last Friday and proved that they are not head and shoulders above the conference. Peotone is always tough but I just do not see them hanging with the Cats. Wilmo 24 Tone 7

After 3 weeks I am starting to think that this conference is really pretty balanced. I don't think there are any state championship contenders in the ICE but I think there are 6 or 7 teams that are really close in talent and could be playoff worthy. That being said with the right matchups I could see a team or two make a quarterfinal run but the season is still young, lots to figure out still

Reed-Custer @ Manteno: Picture this, somebody scheduled the Comets for Homecoming...and for the first time in a long time the Comets will be favored by most for someone elses homecoming. Given the Panthers' improvement on offense, this could be a shootout. Week 4 is usually the offense taking off, so I think they will score...but at this point the Panther Defense just doesnt work. I would not be surprised if the Comets score on every possession - like the Devils did last week. Comets in a high scoring affair...

Coal City - Herscher: Both coming off tough losses. Coal City has a mean defense, the Tigers can score. But the Coalers are a huge step up for the Tiggers...i wonder if the Tigers COVID issue is over. I think the Coalers dig a trap which the Tigers cant get out of...

Streator @ Lisle. Bulldogs late comeback against Herscher's depleted roster shows promise. But the Lions are vicious on the home turf. The Bulldogs are no longer hapless basement dwellers though...Bulldogs steal the Lions dinner...

Peotone @ Wilmington: Devils buried the trident in the end zone on every possession last week. Cats survived a slugfest and lost their QB to injury. But the Manteno offensive success against the Devils does not bode well for them. I suspect the Cats are going to run amok against their first 3A opponent of the season...

Conference is looking like Wilmo wins, CC second, RC third, Manteno winless. But the other four are going to decide it on the field...sixth place in the conference could make the playoffs...

Reactions: Coalertown44
After 3 weeks I am starting to think that this conference is really pretty balanced. I don't think there are any state championship contenders in the ICE but I think there are 6 or 7 teams that are really close in talent and could be playoff worthy. That being said with the right matchups I could see a team or two make a quarterfinal run but the season is still young, lots to figure out still
Everyone knows that Wilmington football is pounding the rock over and over.
Their very best editions of the past couple decades have shown (a little) ability to throw it effectively, especially on non passing downs. At some point during the playoffs, that will be necessary to keep a good defense somewhat honest. IMHO.

Everyone knows that Wilmington football is pounding the rock over and over.
Their very best editions of the past couple decades have shown (a little) ability to throw it effectively, especially on non passing downs. At some point during the playoffs, that will be necessary to keep a good defense somewhat honest. IMHO.
I think you have to be able to air it out at some point in the playoffs to win the big one.

They didn't win the big one with 2 d1 players in the same backfield many years ago. That should tell you something.
They could throw it a little back in 1996. Ryan Alexander was a good QB. Ran into a *decent* defensive front and got absolutely hosed on penalties at Marengo.
That was the year they beat Montini in R2.

Reactions: Gene K.
They could throw it a little back in 1996. Ryan Alexander was a good QB. Ran into a *decent* defensive front and got absolutely hosed on penalties at Marengo.
That was the year they beat Montini in R2.

Was not at the game, so cannot comment. I vaguely remember passing at the games I did attend. That was 25,000 beers and a dozen concussions ago lol.

Still cannot believe that a team with 2 d1 players cannot win a title. Although there were only 6 classes.

RC at Manteno- I like the Comets to keep it going. I will say that Manteno looked pretty decent on offense last week. The problem is that defense needs to figure something out in order to get in the win column. RC 35 Manteno 14

Streator at Lisle- Lisle is a different team on the turf. I like them to take the wind out of the Bulldogs sails and knock them off this week. I like Lisle 28 Streator 20

Coal City at Herscher- Coalers get back on track this week in a one sided affair. Coalers defense steps up again and wins a low scoring affair. CC 17 Herscher 0

Peotone at Wilmington- I hate to say this but I think my Blue Devils are in trouble. Wilmington run game looks to be very strong this season and the Blue Devils have not played a team as physical as the Cats. I’m going Wilmington 35
Peotone 14.

R-C 40, Manteno 13
Lisle 28, Streator 26
Coal City 31, Herscher 6
Wilmington 28, Peotone 14

Reed-Custer @ Manteno - the Comets are flying high but the question is have they been challenged? Manteno will continue to improve as the season progresses but their first W won’t happen this week. Comets roll 42-13

Streator @ Lisle - a week 4 game with playoff implications. The winner of this game will most likely be looking at playing week 10. Lisle has the homefield advantage and Streator has not seen a team as good as Lisle (no offense to Herscher they were missing key players) but the Lions win 33-17.

Coal City @ Herscher - hopefully the Tigers will be 100% but even if they are it will not be enough to stop the Coalers. The Coalers will get their offense moving after 3 really tough games and it won’t be good for the Tigers Coalers 35 - Tigers 6

Peotone @ Wilmington - the winner is in the driver’s seat to win the conference. Peotone is trying to prove itself to be in the top tier but in order to get there you have to get past themCoalers and the Wildcats. The Cats seem to have the ability to control whatever type of game they are in. Cats win in a battle 28-16.

Wilmington 10, Peotone 0, final
Battle of the ground n pound double wing teams.

Got these….
Coaltucky 17, Herscher 6 final
Reed-Custer 55, Manteno 7

R-C hasn’t really played anyone, but they are putting up some points so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT