ADVERTISEMENT

ICE round 2

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Only two teams advance so not sure if this is worth posting a new thread, but I’m bored and Playoffs is what we’ve all been waiting for......so why not........

Eureka @ Wilmington- I think Wilmo wins easy but still has to play mistake free. Eureka lost to two 2a schools that are tough and only defeated one team with a winning record. Being at Wilmo just puts the icing on the cake. Wilmo by 12

Kewanee @ Coal City - only impressive win for Kewanee was over Spring Valley Hall. Other than that it was all teams with losing records. Lost a tough one to Newman and got throttled by Princeton. Lost to a 2a Orion squad as well. I just can’t see this game being competitive. CC by at least 21.

Last edited:
#6 Eureka (8-2) @ #3 Wilmington (9-1)
Wilmington controlled Lisle in Round 1 except for a shaky second quarter. The rest was dominated by the Cats. Score was closer than how it actually played out. Eureka has only beaten one playoff team and lost to some good teams (GCMS and Fieldcrest) but those are much smaller schools. I think Eureka is a quality team and will give Wilmington a good game. But home playoff games is comparable to spinach to Popeye for the Cats. Cats win a good game. I see Hopwood making some big time throws in this one Wildcats 31 Hornets 21

#8 Kewanee (7-3) @ #1 Coal City (10-0)

Both teams destroyed CPS foes in round one. Kewanee would be a pretty good 3A school in my eyes but they are definitely over matched in this bracket. They do have a good running back, a shifty athletic receiver and some size on the line. They could make some plays to keep the Coaler D on their heels. Good news for the Coalers. Starters only played a quarter and a half and no injuries. CC should get Cooper and Pullara back this week. Coal City will continue to ride work horse Jezik and have some timely passes from Hutchings. If I can count right (which is a stretch) Hutchings has 19 TD passes to 1 interception. Being a three year starter at QB has paid its dividends this year. CC defense locks up Kewanees offense and the Coaler O keeps rolling. Coalers 34 Boilermakers 8

Shout out to The Tone, Manteno and Lisle for getting to the post season. Looks like Tone and Manteno did not have their best games in week 10 and Lisle was unlucky to draw Wilmo.

ROUND 2...

EUREKA @ WILMINGTON... The Heart of Illinois Conference is quite likely the best 2A conference in the state. GCMS has back to back 2A titles, Fieldcrest is the #1 seed in 2A, Downs Tri-Valley was runner up in '13 and 2A champion in '15 (Tri-Valley's hoops coach is a Manteno alum). And then you have Eureka, the 3A school in a sea of 2A schools...4th straight 3A playoffs appearance, 8th appearance since 2000 (4A in '07), missed playoffs '08-'15. Last year's 9-2 is the first time the Hornets played 11 games since 1985...Round 1 was the first 3A team the Hornets faced all year. Lost 35-10 to GCMS & 21-17 to Fieldcrest.
Then we have the Wildcats. Week 1 shut out a 5A playoff team non-conference 32-0, week 2 hung 58 & a running clock on a 7A school. 9-1, only loss on the road to Coal City, the #1 seed in 4A. Beat another 5A, a 4A playoff team, and two 3A playoff teams.
I've never liked picking teams that play in smaller conferences, which is why I don't often think of Farmington / Paxton / Elmwood-Brimfield going far in the playoffs. Eureka is on the same cruise line as those schools. Nice playoff seeds, but a relatively soft schedule doesn't prepare them for the playoffs. Sure, they played two top 5 2A teams, but the rest of the schedule isn't even close...only played 3 teams with winning records.
The Hornets are going to get a taste of the Harley tunnel, and the smoke cloud...The 'Cats come out of the smoke and surprise the Hornets with a big ole paw swipe to the nest...ripping a big hole to run thru. Cats big...by 21.

KEWANEE @ COAL CITY... The Three Rivers Mississippi conference is a fine 3A conference. Hall shut out Peotone in Round 1. But Kewanee has been pushed into 4A after fluttering on the 3A / 4A line all year. Kewanee did not play a 4A school all year; they got hammered by 9-1 Princeton, the #1 seed in 3A North, 49-7; lost to 2A 9-1 Sterling Newman 27-26 and 2A 5-5 Orion 35-27. Beat 7-3 Hall 21-13 week 9.
Coal City is the #1 seed in 4A. the beat a 7-3 5A first round out on the road in Morris, and a 7-3 McNamara team whose 3 losses are to teams with a record of 28-2 - and perhaps the favorite in 4A south. Pickaxed Wilmo solidly week 8.
The Boilermakers are about to find that the pickax is way more dangerous than the sledgehammer...Coalers by 28. The Coalers are the woodchipper this weekend...

as a Coaler, thank God we don't have to play the Wildcats again. We should enjoy solid whuppins the next two weekends

I agree, CC big over Kewanee, whose had a very good season to be proud of... but if you’re predicting an easy win over the SF/GK winner, I think you’re underestimating teams. Both teams have a chance to knock off CC, who I admit is very good.

4A is just so stocked in the north... GK-SF and ICCP-Stillman will be matchups to watch.

I also agree with yall on a Wilmo win. Eureka seems to be a good team, but Wilmo is out for blood and may play for the 3A title the following week against Byron.

Quarter finals of CC/St Francis and RB/IC is anyone’s ballgame. I can see any of those 4 winning it all

I think CC is more safe than Wilmo in the second round......But like I said playing at Wilmo helps the cats even more.
Cats playing at home automatically gives them a 7 point lead in my eyes. It will be close but I think they will pull it out

I also agree with yall on a Wilmo win. Eureka seems to be a good team, but Wilmo is out for blood and may play for the 3A title the following week against Byron.

I agree that Byron/Wilmo is probably the de facto title game. However, many people thought that Byron was the favorite last year and Monticello got the best of the them. When Wilmo won state, Williamsville was right there in a game that came down to the last second. I just don't know enough about some of those southern teams to say that Byron or Wilmo have it locked up.

Cats playing at home automatically gives them a 7 point lead in my eyes. It will be close but I think they will pull it out

I don't even necessarily think it will be close. Just saying that they have to be mistake free. If they play mistake free they win big.........if they mess around and get sloppy then it's close or they lose.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
I agree that Byron/Wilmo is probably the de facto title game. However, many people thought that Byron was the favorite last year and Monticello got the best of the them. When Wilmo won state, Williamsville was right there in a game that came down to the last second. I just don't know enough about some of those southern teams to say that Byron or Wilmo have it locked up.

Plus I'm curious to see what Princeton really is all about!

Plus I'm curious to see what Princeton really is all about!
I watched the film on them and Kewanee. Good skill players. They busted a bunch of big plays on that game. From what I have seen they are right at the level of Wilmington and Byron

Agree that Wilmington definitely has less margin for error.
I also would definitely hesitate to call anything the “true” title game early in 3A. Byron had an early loss, but are now supposedly healthy. To me they are the favorites. With that said, I’m not gonna rule out anyone.

Reactions: Gene K.
I watched the film on them and Kewanee. Good skill players. They busted a bunch of big plays on that game. From what I have seen they are right at the level of Wilmington and Byron
Morris had Kewanee in round 1 in 2017 when they played 4A. Granted, that team lost on a last second field goal to Rochester in the finals, but unless they have had a huge influx of talent, CC shouldn’t have an issue.

Per calpreps:

Wilmington (IL) vs. Eureka (IL) at Wilmington MS (Wilmington, IL), 5:00pm [projection: Wilmington (IL) 28-26]

Kewanee (IL) at Coal City (IL), 1:00pm [projection: Coal City (IL) 35-14]

The computer doesn’t seem too impressed with Wilmington. Basically projecting a coin flip game. One thing I will say is that Wilmington’s kicking game has been an advantage this year. Solid conversion rate on XPs and a handful of FGs made.

If Coal City play their own game and do what they do, neither will be in much trouble I think. Neither can be playing with the look ahead mentality with big Quarter Final games coming up though. I would love to see Genoa Kingston pull off the minor upset of St Francis and the Coalers go on the road next round but I think it will be St Francis coming to Coal City. And Byron is pretty much a lock to win round 2 so that would be the Cats on the road

This looks like Coal City's year to get that State Championship. They have been steam rolling teams all year. Very potent offense and solid defense. Who do you see down the road as a team that will beat them?

Coal City & Richmond-Burton got the benefit of St. Francis knocking off IC & GK knocking down SV, so they don't get a second round 9-1 opponent. GK-SF & SV-IC are going to be wars better suited for a quarterfinal...and the present for winning is CC or RB.

Think about it, if Mac had gone north the Coalers would be having a rematch this week...

No love for BNC?? I think Stillman and GK can hang with any of these 4A monsters.

Oh ...lol...Big Northern..my bad...yes, very strong conference...and you are right GK and Stillman are very solid...An excellent group of teams in 4A north this year...

I know that the big school homers would never admit this but I think 4A is the deepest class this year.
I certainly cannot recall a field with this many quality teams as we have in 4A this year...Both North and South...

Feels like an Eureka home game. Their fans are fired up...

Eureka hit a crossing pattern with a long run inside 5, couple keepers dive in for score.

Wildcats respond w 70+ yard drive highlighted by 50ish yard pass to 7, ram it home.

7-7 minute left in half

Wildcats intercept long pass on first down.

50 yard td drive, pass caught on maybe a wheel route wide open in corner. Td

14-7 Wildcats at half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT