ADVERTISEMENT

I love multisport guys. Who is the best Football player/ Wrestler/Basketball player?

Way back in a different century, my teammate, Darond Stovall was all-state in football for different positions in different years. Won two state titles on the gridiron.

Nebraska's Tom Osbourne told Coach Schott that Darond was the best QB for his system, but he's not risking it because he will be drafted in June.

He was - 5th round by the Cardinals. Had a pot of coffee in the MLB - hit a tater for Montreal against STL on Father's Day in front of his local family.

Darond was ambidextrous - pitched a doubleheader from both sides of the mound senior year en route to a baseball title.

I don't believe he was all-state in hoops - but he was all-area as a point guard.

Best athlete ever to come through the school, according to Schott.

I think so... couple reasons

Vercelli wasn't even the best player on those baseball teams, they were so good and deep they win state titles without him..

Basketball vs wrestling, cant compare the two... Vercelli wins a state title, makes him one of best 14 wrasslers in the state... were there 14 better 2A basketball players better than Ruckmans?

He was on both teams that won baseball state for Wilmington. Also played at Northwestern, so yea.......I would say he was pretty good at baseball......and as far as the wrestling thing is concerned, winning state means that you are the best in your class at that weight. Anybody that wins state regardless of the sport or class is a pretty good athlete in my book.

He was on both teams that won baseball state for Wilmington. Also played at Northwestern, so yea.......I would say he was pretty good at baseball......and as far as the wrestling thing is concerned, winning state means that you are the best in your class at that weight. Anybody that wins state regardless of the sport or class is a pretty good athlete in my book.

But they won those baseball state titles because of Roark..

Watched this match live. You gotta feel for Murphy! Three 2nd place finishes and a third.
I too was there, Murphy had some great matches.
Qualified for the NCAA tournament four times wrestling for Michigan too.

Matt Lottich was All State in basketball and baseball and a pretty damn good QB.
Erik Kumerow was All State football... damn good baseball and basketball. Also an uncle of the Bosa brothers ,I believe , so good genetics I guess.

But they won those baseball state titles because of Roark..

Tanner was a stud pitcher so obviously he had more of an impact in the game. Vercelli was his catcher and not a slouch at the plate by any means. Those two were probably in the top 5 best players in the state that year. Pretty sure they beat the AA champs in an exhibition game.

Tanner was a stud pitcher so obviously he had more of an impact in the game. Vercelli was his catcher and not a slouch at the plate by any means. Those two were probably in the top 5 best players in the state that year. Pretty sure they beat the AA champs in an exhibition game.

No question great athletes.. I just would take the twins..

This year, if there is a better small school 3 sport athlete than Jarnagin from Herscher, I want to see it..

Matt Lottich was All State in basketball and baseball and a pretty damn good QB.
Erik Kumerow was All State football... damn good baseball and basketball. Also an uncle of the Bosa brothers ,I believe , so good genetics I guess.

Good genetics is right the Bosa brothers are his nephews but his son Jake was a good WR at South Elgin in high school last year he played a few games for the Bengals and is currently on the Patriots practice squad.

Reactions: eireog
Mark Ori Maine south.
All state football
Team Illinois for hockey
Illinois player of the year in baseball and 2x all state

Reactions: MIKEFTB
I will go with ....

John Dergo Morris
Garrett Goebel Montini
Michael Johnson Montini
Mike Mucha Montini
The kid from LWE who knocked out our QB at Montini

But how would he do against 8A powers like LWE, LA and MS??? ;)

Well played!

I love talking about how different era players would do in today’s game with the nutrition programs, weight training programs etc of today’s world.

I think if you had a time machine and plopped earlier players into today’s game it would be ugly and most would not do so well. However - if you plop them into today as preteens and they get the benefits of today’s training - I think they as good as dominant (possibly more so).

There are always exceptions. Take Bo Jackson before the hip and put him into the NFL today and he kicks ass. Put him in LA’s program as a Freshman and let him develop with today’s tools....he might literally become Superman.

Fine. I will take this guy then:
Antwan Randle El was born in Riverdale, Illinois as the son of Curtis Randle El Sr., a food distributor, and Jacqueline, a day-care provider. Randle El was raised a Pentecostal Christian.[1] A Chicago Bears fan,[2] he attended Thornton Township High School in Harvey, Illinois, where he played football, basketball, and baseball.[3] He was a high school teammate of former NFL linebacker Napoleon Harris, as well as NBA center Melvin Ely and former NFL wide receiver Tai Streets.

After graduating from Thornton Township in 1997, Randle El was drafted in the 1997 Major League Baseball Draft, selected in the 14th round (424th overall) by the Chicago Cubs.[4]Despite this, he opted to pursue a football scholarship at Indiana University, despite being told he was too small during the recruiting process.[3]

Alex Pierce from Glenbard West is pretty outstanding at football and volleyball. Nate Rusk at LT was all conference as a WR/K, played basketball and high level club soccer.

I was going to tease you about having to mention Pierce as a GW Guy (and yes he's a great athlete), but was fascinated you mentioned Rusk. Maybe an obscure reference on this thread, but I had noticed all year he was the weird combination of WR and Kicker, and not just a kicker but a great one. I found out tonight that he is the all-time LT scoring leader, and by such a large margin his coach said its a record that "might never be broken".

I know this is an Illinois board but reminds me Iowa's Nate Kaeding. Would probably win it there. Starting guard on Iowa City West's state champion hoops team, all-state soccer player and all-world kicker at Iowa followed by the NFL.

Most of these posts are of 3-sport athletes in general, but the OP specifically said football/basketball/wrestling. Considering the latter two are in the same season and wrestlers usually are horrible hoops players, that's the real challenge. I can't think of one. Maybe a better question is the most obscure 3 sport domination. I can't think of many . I know a few really good swimmer/football players which isn't usual but 3 sport is tough

No question great athletes.. I just would take the twins..

This year, if there is a better small school 3 sport athlete than Jarnagin from Herscher, I want to see it..

Haven't seen Jarnagin, sounds like a great athlete. I think my son would be in the small school 3 sport athlete team pic with him though. Steven Migut was an all state 4A dual threat qb for Unity. He is a 2 time all state track athlete to date, with 9 state medals,including first place as a freshman as an anchor in the 4x 200m relay, individually in the 110 hurdles 3rd & 6th in class 2A and 6th and 3rd in the 300 m hurdles from soph and junior year. He was also a 3 year varsity starting guard in basketball but is not playing bball this year as he recovers from shoulder surgery. He has committed to play football at Army, recruited as a qb.

I know he doesn't stack up to the elite athletes from days gone by, not saying he is at their level. However I'm doing the proud dad thing saying he has had a pretty good high school run as a small school 3 sport athlete.

Haven't seen Jarnagin, sounds like a great athlete. I think my son would be in the small school 3 sport athlete team pic with him though. Steven Migut was an all state 4A dual threat qb for Unity. He is a 2 time all state track athlete to date, with 9 state medals,including first place as a freshman as an anchor in the 4x 200m relay, individually in the 110 hurdles 3rd & 6th in class 2A and 6th and 3rd in the 300 m hurdles from soph and junior year. He was also a 3 year varsity starting guard in basketball but is not playing bball this year as he recovers from shoulder surgery. He has committed to play football at Army, recruited as a qb.

I know he doesn't stack up to the elite athletes from days gone by, not saying he is at their level. However I'm doing the proud dad thing saying he has had a pretty good high school run as a small school 3 sport athlete.

Saw few of the Unity games on hudl, good athlete, arm not nearly as good as Jarnagin.. and seems Jarnagin ran the ball just as well..

Not usually into Dad's boasting about their kid(s), but that is an impressive career. I don't care what it is. Army....wow! May your son heal quickly and take advantage of that education and thank you for raising a young man that is willing to sacrifice for his country. To all of you that have or had sons or daughters go through the academies or enlist in our armed forces....thanks very much. All of you posters that have served thanks as well! Mr Migut, sounds like your son will make you even prouder as he moves forward. A very Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and your family!

Most of these posts are of 3-sport athletes in general, but the OP specifically said football/basketball/wrestling. Considering the latter two are in the same season and wrestlers usually are horrible hoops players, that's the real challenge. I can't think of one. Maybe a better question is the most obscure 3 sport domination. I can't think of many . I know a few really good swimmer/football players which isn't usual but 3 sport is tough

Football/basketball/wrestling is a very unusual combination, even at small schools. Playing basketball and wrestling at the same time is nearly impossible. However, I have seen athletes who quit one they were good at to play the other well...

Recent example: Wilmington's Sam Jones, grad last spring. Three year dressed varsity football, two year starter at left offensive end (does that make him a WR? TE? Glorified second tackle??) and defensive end/linebacker. Best Wildcat receiver in his class from 8th grade through high school. Moved from Reed Custer after 7th grade, was R/C's leading basketball scorer in 7th grade, played hoops until he was a junior, dressed varsity as a soph, second leading scorer as a junior. Played hoops all summer, then when football ended decided to wrestle with his brother Josh. Sam qualified for state in wrestling at 220 as a senior first year wrestler, key addition to the 2nd place Wildcats wrestling team....Also hit .400+ in baseball, 3 year starter...

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Football/basketball/wrestling is a very unusual combination, even at small schools. Playing basketball and wrestling at the same time is nearly impossible. However, I have seen athletes who quit one they were good at to play the other well...

Recent example: Wilmington's Sam Jones, grad last spring. Three year dressed varsity football, two year starter at left offensive end (does that make him a WR? TE? Glorified second tackle??) and defensive end/linebacker. Best Wildcat receiver in his class from 8th grade through high school. Moved from Reed Custer after 7th grade, was R/C's leading basketball scorer in 7th grade, played hoops until he was a junior, dressed varsity as a soph, second leading scorer as a junior. Played hoops all summer, then when football ended decided to wrestle with his brother Josh. Sam qualified for state in wrestling at 220 as a senior first year wrestler, key addition to the 2nd place Wildcats wrestling team....Also hit .400+ in baseball, 3 year starter...

Have never heard of anyone playing hoops and wrestling. Have seen soccer players play football.

Hey, MS4EVER,
Did Dave Butz do anything at MS besides football?

A bit late replying to this.....Butz played football, basketball and track. He went on to play football at Purdue and a career with Washington Redskins. He came back to MS several times to speak at all-school assemblies and at end of season football banquets.

Good genetics is right the Bosa brothers are his nephews but his son Jake was a good WR at South Elgin in high school last year he played a few games for the Bengals and is currently on the Patriots practice squad.

Kumerows biological father is Palmer Pyle brother of Mike Pyle who both played in the NFL. Can't forget his grandfather who was unique in his own way

Reactions: eireog
Kumerows biological father is Palmer Pyle brother of Mike Pyle who both played in the NFL. Can't forget his grandfather who was unique in his own way
Grandfather was infamous. Unfortunately his uncle Gomer on his fathers side passed recently.

Kurt Bankson East Leyden Class of 1978..starting nose guard on Eagles 1977 Class 5A state champion football team...1977-78 Class AA Heavyweight wrestling champion and member of team that won the Class AA state wrestling title with 129 1/2 pts., top ten finish in 1977-78 shot put at state meet. Went on to University of Minnesota...The only other shot putter I saw while in in high school that could throw farther was Mike Lehman of Oak Lawn who was consistently over 60' every throw, and he was no where nearly as big as Bankson who was a monster!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT