ADVERTISEMENT

I love multisport guys. Who is the best Football player/ Wrestler/Basketball player?

AJ Epenesa from Eville last year may have been the best 3 sport athlete in the nation. Under Armour All American in football, All-State hoops and top ten in the nation in the discus.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
AJ Epenesa from Eville last year may have been the best 3 sport athlete in the nation. Under Armour All American in football, All-State hoops and top ten in the nation in the discus.

Ok. That edges me out. But only by a tiny bit.

Reactions: Bowie50
Alek Thomas....what can I say, I'm bias! But the best I've ever seen? I gotta say Matt Lottich. All State Football at Quarterback, Basketball and Baseball from New Trier....clean sweep in all 3 sports! Nice hoops career at Stanford, now the Valpo coach....I don't know if I can say anyone else in RECENT times that was all state in those 3 sports.

Red Grange
When they arrived in Wheaton, Grange’s father worked hard and became the chief of police.[6]At Wheaton High School,[note 1] Grange earned 16 varsity letters in four sports (football, baseball, basketball, and track)[6] during the four years he attended, notably scoring 75 touchdowns and 532 points for the football team.[6] As a high school junior, Grange scored 36 touchdowns and led Wheaton High School to an undefeated season. In his senior year, his team won every game but one in which they lost 39–0 to Scott High School in Toledo, Ohio.[4] Knocked out in this game, Grange remained unconscious for two days, having difficulty speaking when he awoke.[4] In addition to his success in football, Grange was an all-state track and field runner. In 1920, Grange was a state champion in the high jump, while placing third and fourth in the 100-yard dash and the 220-yard dash, respectively. In 1921, he won the state title in both the long jump and the 100-yard dash, and finally in 1922, he placed third in the 100-yard dash and won the 220-yard dash.[7]

Red Grange
When they arrived in Wheaton, Grange’s father worked hard and became the chief of police.[6]At Wheaton High School,[note 1] Grange earned 16 varsity letters in four sports (football, baseball, basketball, and track)[6] during the four years he attended, notably scoring 75 touchdowns and 532 points for the football team.[6] As a high school junior, Grange scored 36 touchdowns and led Wheaton High School to an undefeated season. In his senior year, his team won every game but one in which they lost 39–0 to Scott High School in Toledo, Ohio.[4] Knocked out in this game, Grange remained unconscious for two days, having difficulty speaking when he awoke.[4] In addition to his success in football, Grange was an all-state track and field runner. In 1920, Grange was a state champion in the high jump, while placing third and fourth in the 100-yard dash and the 220-yard dash, respectively. In 1921, he won the state title in both the long jump and the 100-yard dash, and finally in 1922, he placed third in the 100-yard dash and won the 220-yard dash.[7]

Unfair. A Red Grange comes around like only once a century.

Fine. I will take this guy then:
Antwan Randle El was born in Riverdale, Illinois as the son of Curtis Randle El Sr., a food distributor, and Jacqueline, a day-care provider. Randle El was raised a Pentecostal Christian.[1] A Chicago Bears fan,[2] he attended Thornton Township High School in Harvey, Illinois, where he played football, basketball, and baseball.[3] He was a high school teammate of former NFL linebacker Napoleon Harris, as well as NBA center Melvin Ely and former NFL wide receiver Tai Streets.

After graduating from Thornton Township in 1997, Randle El was drafted in the 1997 Major League Baseball Draft, selected in the 14th round (424th overall) by the Chicago Cubs.[4]Despite this, he opted to pursue a football scholarship at Indiana University, despite being told he was too small during the recruiting process.[3]

Alex Pierce from Glenbard West is pretty outstanding at football and volleyball. Nate Rusk at LT was all conference as a WR/K, played basketball and high level club soccer.

Football/Basketball/Wrestling is a tough combo with basketball and wrestling competing at the same time.
FB/BB/ baseball or track and
FB/WR/BB easier possibilities.

Question? How many kids have been all-state in three seasonal sports in the same year?

Colleges love multi sport athletes. Not just for the athletic reasons either. If a kid has good grades and plays two or three sports, you get crazy scholarship offers. Colleges recognize that the physical and time commitment to sports far exceeds the once a week or once a month commitment of academic or service clubs.

Over the years I've seen quite a few all state "popularity" honors rather than skill honors.

Football/Basketball/Wrestling is a tough combo with basketball and wrestling competing at the same time.

Question? How many kids have been all-state in three seasonal sports in the same year?

Reactions: crusader_of_90

Somehow, AJ Espensa was an All American, but not all state in football. He did gain all state honors for hoops and track.

Historically, Nick Nasti, Plano. Heart of the back to back state 3A football champs, all-state as a linebacker and as a fullback as a senior (as the dive back averaged 8 ypc). Undefeated state champ at heavyweight as a senior. All-state discus thrower as senior (4th I believe).

This year, an oft overlooked player would be Josh Jones, LB/FB, Wilmington. 3 year football starter at LB, 2 years as the dive back...overshadowed by the gaudy rushing stats of the wingbacks, his blocking led them to many of those yards....All-state heavyweight wrestler last year, 2 state wrestling meets...solid baseball player.

Tyler Stuart, WR, Herscher's leading receiver...6'8" 3 year hoops starter...believe has a baseball scholarship as a pitcher...

Manteno??? none this year jump out to me...historically tough to beat Jeff Meyer, the Panthers 2002 inaugural season QB, who led them to a 3-6 record despite a horrific OL...1000+ point basketball scorer, getting low D1 offers (Chicago State was one)...Baseball scholarship as a catcher to Illinois...

Historically, Nick Nasti, Plano. Heart of the back to back state 3A football champs, all-state as a linebacker and as a fullback as a senior (as the dive back averaged 8 ypc). Undefeated state champ at heavyweight as a senior. All-state discus thrower as senior (4th I believe).

This year, an oft overlooked player would be Josh Jones, LB/FB, Wilmington. 3 year football starter at LB, 2 years as the dive back...overshadowed by the gaudy rushing stats of the wingbacks, his blocking led them to many of those yards....All-state heavyweight wrestler last year, 2 state wrestling meets...solid baseball player.

Tyler Stuart, WR, Herscher's leading receiver...6'8" 3 year hoops starter...believe has a baseball scholarship as a pitcher...

Manteno??? none this year jump out to me...historically tough to beat Jeff Meyer, the Panthers 2002 inaugural season QB, who led them to a 3-6 record despite a horrific OL...1000+ point basketball scorer, getting low D1 offers (Chicago State was one)...Baseball scholarship as a catcher to Illinois...

Have to add the Ruckman’s from Herscher in that mix too.. all area in baseball, football and and basketball for 3 years... if I had to pick anyone over the last 30 years in the Kankakee area, would be those two

Garrett Goebel, State Wrestling Heavyweight Champ 2008, one of the best lineman in the State of Illinois during his tenure at Montini who went on to start at Ohio State for two years.

watch
I was waiting for someone to put this beast down. He was amazing!

Have to add the Ruckman’s from Herscher in that mix too.. all area in baseball, football and and basketball for 3 years... if I had to pick anyone over the last 30 years in the Kankakee area, would be those two

Ruckmans over Vercelli? Or you don’t consider Wilmo the Kankakee area?

Ruckmans over Vercelli? Or you don’t consider Wilmo the Kankakee area?

I think so... couple reasons

Vercelli wasn't even the best player on those baseball teams, they were so good and deep they win state titles without him..

Basketball vs wrestling, cant compare the two... Vercelli wins a state title, makes him one of best 14 wrasslers in the state... were there 14 better 2A basketball players better than Ruckmans?

Winning a Class A wrestling title doesn't mean you are one of the best 14 wrestlers in the state.
Not even close.

I think so... couple reasons

Vercelli wasn't even the best player on those baseball teams, they were so good and deep they win state titles without him..

Basketball vs wrestling, cant compare the two... Vercelli wins a state title, makes him one of best 14 wrasslers in the state... were there 14 better 2A basketball players better than Ruckmans?

Yeah IDK. I think you are biased against the wrasslers, but to each his own. Hard to top the 3 year run Vercelli had playing varsity sports. I can't remember how many times he was all state in football and baseball. 3 baseball trophies, 3 wrasslin' medals, I feel quite confident in saying that had he not suffered the high ankle sprain, they would have been the team to interrupt Driscoll's run, and they would have had a football title to go along with their '03 runner up.

Matt Roth, Willowbrook. Undefeated ihsa CHAMP in wrestling, so he must have been one of the best. Also second round NFL pick out of Iowa

Roth was a monster.
Then played 7-8 years in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT