ADVERTISEMENT

How far can GBW make a run in 8A?

Brett.Williams

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2022
Glenbard West is an intriguing team in 8A for me. I could see them getting upset by a team like MS or B-Brook, I could also see them making a run to Champaign. How far do you guys see them going?

Last edited:
Glenbard West is an intriguing team in 8A for me. I could see them getting upset by a team like MS or B-Brook, I could also see them making a run to Champaign. How far do you guys see them going?
Those won't be upsets. Quarters, maybe, depending on how the bracket works.

If they get to a game Vs MS or the Brook then that would be the quarters. No game between any of those 3 is going to be an upset.

The way the draw played out the Hitters should be targeting a semifinal finish. That would match their best 8A performance and makeup for falling short in the conference race. They will need to win 3 tough games to get there but it is doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
GBW has no passing game, so as soon as they run into a team who is physical enough to stop their 4 run plays their season will be over

Reactions: RD_Watcher
GBW has no passing game, so as soon as they run into a team who is physical enough to stop their 4 run plays their season will be over
I think their biggest advantage is the system they run. Being able to match their technique, speed and physicality using a scout team in practice is extremely hard.

In my opinion, if they run into Glenbrook South, they’ll lose. GBS has played a tougher schedule and won against good playoff teams. GBW has lived all year on a week one game where they were given a huge lead, then barely hung on, needing a Marist missed FG to win.

Are you familiar with their offense over the years? They never have much of a passing even when they had Alec Pierce.

GBS has played a tougher schedule and won against good playoff teams.
But did they? They only played 2 teams that made the playoffs. GBS is a good team but I think you are basing a lot of your feelings about them on last year’s win over your Red Devils.
GBW has lived all year on a week one game where they were given a huge lead, then barely hung on, needing a Marist missed FG to win.
They were ranked pretty highly preseason. Edgy and others that are paid to rank teams have stated all year the the WSS is strong this year. They finished 8-1 and were 1 or 2 plays from 9-0. I am not sure if they were given or earned that huge lead but we never know how the game would have played out if that had not happened or if their most dangerous offensive player would have played. I have said for years the WSS needs to prove they can hang with the big boys in 8A and year in year out LT, HC and GW have failed. Maybe this is the year GW or York get the break through to the Final 8 or further. I think the first round matchup for GW will be tougher than the potential second round one.

I only watched rhe York game so take it for what it’s worth but there was only 1 “weakness” or things they could improve on that I saw with GBW, and that was the passing attack by a wide margin. I agree 100% with WSC FB fan on that. They had shots via the air against York, but couldn’t execute on 4 or 5 different plays, so I don’t think it has much to do with their system.

I also believe they can correct the issues they had against York. I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it for 5 straight games, but in a 1 game situation where they need a big play, they have the potential to make a play or 2 via the air, just need execute imo.

To answer the question I think they can win 8A, but need to make the said above big plays. I think final 4/8 is definitely possible.

Last edited:
But did they? They only played 2 teams that made the playoffs. GBS is a good team but I think you are basing a lot of your feelings about them on last year’s win over your Red Devils.

They were ranked pretty highly preseason. Edgy and others that are paid to rank teams have stated all year the the WSS is strong this year. They finished 8-1 and were 1 or 2 plays from 9-0. I am not sure if they were given or earned that huge lead but we never know how the game would have played out if that had not happened or if their most dangerous offensive player would have played. I have said for years the WSS needs to prove they can hang with the big boys in 8A and year in year out LT, HC and GW have failed. Maybe this is the year GW or York get the break through to the Final 8 or further. I think the first round matchup for GW will be tougher than the potential second round one.
You may be right about GBS - but the point I was trying to make is GBS will have less of an issue preparing for GW than a spread offense team. To be fair, GW will have an easier time preparing for GBS as well.

I completely agree with your assessment of the WSS, which we have discussed before. For this year, having seen both York and GW in the last 3 weeks - York appeared to me to be the better team. I know there are a lot of variables, but that was my eye test.

I only watched rhe York game so take it for what it’s worth but there was only 1 “weakness” or things they could improve on that I saw with GBW, and that was the passing attack by a wide margin. I agree 100% with WSC FB fan on that. They had shots via the air against York, but couldn’t execute on 4 or 5 different plays, so I don’t think it has much to do with their system.

I also believe they can correct the issues they had against York. I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it for 5 straight games, but in a 1 game situation where they need a big play, they have the potential to make a play or 2 via the air, just need execute imo.

To answer the question I think they can win 8A, but need to make the said above big plays. I think final 4/8 is definitely possible.
I'm a GW fan, and I think this is a fair assessment of GW at York. I like York (a lot) and what they've accomplished this season. They played a better game than GW, but had GW hit those 4 or 5 passes, it would have been a very different game. But GW didn't make the plays. It's a big if, but if they make those passing plays in the playoffs, they will be playing 5 more games this season.

One final comment about GW: their defense has been uneven and inconsistent this season, largely due to a very young group of kids. I think the defense kinda pulled it together the last few weeks of the season...I think. In the game vs. Hinsdale Central, I think the defense played very well, especially the second half. If I'm right, and they play that GW defense that Hetlet wants them to play, they can win game 5.

That's a lot of if and maybe, but GW is still working out some wrinkles, imho. Good luck to everyone playing this weekend.

Are you familiar with their offense over the years? They never have much of a passing even when they had Alec Pierce.
I've seen them many times, and this year just seems different. They have the skill players to make plays in the pass game, but the QB can't get them the ball. Look at the York game specifically.

They should spend more time in the regular season working and improving their pass game to prepare for the playoffs.

I've seen them many times, and this year just seems different. They have the skill players to make plays in the pass game, but the QB can't get them the ball. Look at the York game specifically.

They should spend more time in the regular season working and improving their pass game to prepare for the playoffs.
Could not agree more. In fact, in GW's two state championships, their offense could reliably make key passing plays. If you can't hit key passing plays, you won't win in week 5.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT