ADVERTISEMENT

High School Transfers

LHS
Not a good comparison. I maybe in a different field when it comes to a job? My last two jobs had me sign a non-compete. That means I couldn’t work for a competitor for 1 1/2 years in the same industry. Believe me it holds up in court.
Just saying.

And if kids signed a non transfer clause then I would agree with your non compete comparison. No one is saying people should break the law. I am saying if a family move for whatever reason, why should they be penalized?

Football Player's family moves to Hoopeston. Do you care, since Hoopeston hasn't made the playoffs since 1993? What about a transfer to a non-Phillips or Simeon public league school? What about a transfer to a non-playoff public league school?

What if the family of the freshman who ran for 300 yards in a couple Milford 8 man games moves: do you care if its Hoopeston, the neighboring district to the south, GCMS a half hour west, Danville to play 8 man at Schlarman, or Kankakee to go to McNamara? Conversely, what if Mac or JCA somehow does something for their entire starting squads to transfer to Joliet Central and Iroquois West...

I am awaiting the results of the new financial aid program at Illinois where students from families making less than $62,000 don't have to pay tuition. I'm sure the University can cobble together enough financial aid so that some of these kids can play football or other sports without taking an athletic scholarship. What is going to happen when that kid, 14th on the hoops depth chart, wants to transfer to Chicago State, where he will start? Or the football player who goes from 5th string at Illinois to transfer to a MAC or Sun Belt school where he can play regularly?

What about an individual team sport? What if Mike Conley, future Olympic gold medalist, transfers as a senior? He's going to win 4 individual track events no matter where he goes to school. What if Conley has been attending a 1A school that still has a cinder track and dangerous facilities and merely wants to go somewhere where the long/triple jump pit isn't gravel? .Or a swimmer who wants to transfer to Loyola or Hinsdale because they are building new pools?

Again, make a rule and stick with it...

Everyone can transfer. That's kind of the point. Why penalize a kid for changing schools. No one here has even given a reason for it yet and we're on page 2.
I think the point is phony moves, phony divorces, phony residences, all for athletic eligibility purposes. Get rid of all the boundaries and give people the choice to go wherever they choose to go.

We treat all these school transfer athletes as individuals, but what if you had to address these kids as one group. What kind of sick Bastard could feel good about themselves having to walk into an auditorium full of about 500-600 boys and girls ages 15-18 and tell them ‘I have decided that none of you can participate in sports this season because there is something unusual in your home family life.’

We as adults really need to get over ourselves and are desire to count championships and wins and losses, to the point that we completely forget why we really have sports / extracurricular activities for our children.

We as adults really need to get over ourselves and are desire to count championships and wins and losses, to the point that we completely forget why we really have sports / extracurricular activities for our children.

i agree with this statement when it comes to life in general. we should keep high school sports (and ALL sports) in their proper place in the grand scheme of things. it's not life or death, nor should it be.

that said, when it comes to the realm of high school athletics, if we are going to have competitions and keep score, rules need to be in place that ensure all participants are on as even of a playing field as possible. the questionable transfers, fake documents to make someone eligible, etc., are a hindrance to that. i would like to see that aspect of high school athletics cleaned up as much as possible. forcing a transfer student (if they transfer after they've already started high school) to sit out for a year would be a big step in cleaning things up.

a high school basketball team where i live was eliminated in both 2017 and 2018 at the sectional level by two different schools that each had multiple transfers in their starting line-ups. it was widely known that these transfers occurred mainly, if not solely, for athletic purposes. as we know, this isn't a rare occurrence. in my opinion, that's not fair. i didn't lose sleep over it because, again, high school sports are not life and death to me. but it bothers me because the two competing teams were not following the same rules.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Bones:

This issue has been debated over and over with virtually no resolution for two decades. Over the past few years alone, the matter has been thoroughly litigated here, has inspired some rather colorful conversation, and seen some reckless charges leveled against schools and the IHSA.

I have been a fierce critic of transfers in the past, regardless of which system the student originates or the destination. Most of my fury rests with what I consider to be a parent manipulating the system by narrowly interpreting IHSA rules to fit their decision or outright fabricating circumstances which would accommodate the desire to change.

I do, however, tend to agree with you, Bones, over your contention the partition observed by families is suspect prior to entering high school. While I have no affection with for the IHSA and do not want their marauding arms extending any further into high school athletics or diving into middle or junior high schools, I believe the brainiacs in Bloomington should consider eliminating transfer rules. At the moment, enforcement only draws rebuke or inspires laughter.

As a parent of four children, three of whom graduated LA, I believe a considerable number of parents make the decision to enroll their children and remain committed to a school for academic purposes first and foremost. While I have never been convinced of the practicality of boundaries for the public schooling, I also believe if the IHSA abandon regulations over transfers altogether, the same number of students seeking to transfer would consider the option under a system which did not govern transfers as do now.

Yeah it's like we're asking the IHSA to extend into something they couldn't really begin to legislate correctly and most people don't even have the confidence in them to do it, but are calling for it.

I just think we'd be better served allowing the legal transfers and simply classifying schools better. I don't like recruiting more than the next man, but even more than that I don't like kids sitting out.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
i agree with this statement when it comes to life in general. we should keep high school sports (and ALL sports) in their proper place in the grand scheme of things. it's not life or death, nor should it be.

that said, when it comes to the realm of high school athletics, if we are going to have competitions and keep score, rules need to be in place that ensure all participants are on as even of a playing field as possible. the questionable transfers, fake documents to make someone eligible, etc., are a hindrance to that. i would like to see that aspect of high school athletics cleaned up as much as possible. forcing a transfer student (if they transfer after they've already started high school) to sit out for a year would be a big step in cleaning things up.

a high school basketball team where i live was eliminated in both 2017 and 2018 at the sectional level by two different schools that each had multiple transfers in their starting line-ups. it was widely known that these transfers occurred mainly, if not solely, for athletic purposes. as we know, this isn't a rare occurrence. in my opinion, that's not fair. i didn't lose sleep over it because, again, high school sports are not life and death to me. but it bothers me because the two competing teams were not following the same rules.

For me I don’t really care about the transfers since I follow a large public school and there is enough talent compete but I do feel bad for teams like Sterling who have a solid athletic program and great support and a much much smaller talent pool. Transfers for athletic reasons really punish small to mid size schools more so than they do the large ones.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
That makes it even more believable for me. I quit baseball (after the season) after having to choke out a little league teammate in the dugout for the same thing in 8th grade. There was definitely a different culture in football and basketball compared to baseball, at least where I'm from. I imagine rural Georgia is that on steroids.

But again it shouldn't matter why. UGA doesn't own that man. Maybe for the term of that particular scholarship.
Bones with the crippler cross-face

There will NEVER be an even playing field. That thought process in itself is a bigger part to blame in all of this. More effort should be put into classifying the school appropriately versus punishing kids. Certain schools should never be matched up together which is really the issue. In my opinion schools like Orr should never play 2A basketball in the playoffs. Using them as an example, the issue isn't the fact that they got transfers as much as it is them paying 2A Basketball. If they were in 3A or higher, all things would be right. Their team will be competitive with the chance to win it all however, the competition would be against schools that have similar talent levels.

I agree that some matchups are not fair but, I don't think punishing a kid is the answer. Put more effort into creating a competitive environment versus going with the most simple way to do things.

For me I don’t really care about the transfers since I follow a large public school and there is enough talent compete but I do feel bad for teams like Sterling who have a solid athletic program and great support and a much much smaller talent pool. Transfers for athletic reasons really punish small to mid size schools more so than they do the large ones.

in the interest of full disclosure - sterling has benefited from transfers over the years. of note recently, the best running back in school history transferred in after his sophomore year at another local high school. the family did move to sterling, so it fell within the ihsa rules. he was a big part of sterling's 2016 quarterfinal team and their 2017 semi-final team. if a one-year "transfer ineligibility" rule had been in place, i wonder if his family would have moved or not.

That makes it even more believable for me. I quit baseball (after the season) after having to choke out a little league teammate in the dugout for the same thing in 8th grade. There was definitely a different culture in football and basketball compared to baseball, at least where I'm from. I imagine rural Georgia is that on steroids.

But again it shouldn't matter why. UGA doesn't own that man. Maybe for the term of that particular scholarship.

So just on the fact that it happened in rural Georgia and it was reported that it came from a baseball player makes it more believable to you?

Hmmm.

So am I then allowed to believe that I should expect to see more crime in urban areas and I should canvas the neighborhoods for basketball players any time a 7-11 gets knocked over?

Please tell us more about our racism.

There will NEVER be an even playing field. That thought process in itself is a bigger part to blame in all of this. More effort should be put into classifying the school appropriately versus punishing kids.

you're speaking my language, lhstigers. i have been a long-time advocate for NOT solely using enrollment to classify programs (in all sports). a better system should be and can be developed to classify programs based on their level of competitiveness.

Everyone can transfer. That's kind of the point. Why penalize a kid for changing schools. No one here has even given a reason for it yet and we're on page 2.

Most kids who transfer for athletics only move on paper and not in reality. At least on the South Side/ Suburbs.

you're speaking my language, lhstigers. i have been a long-time advocate for NOT solely using enrollment to classify programs (in all sports). a better system should be and can be developed to classify programs based on their level of competitiveness.
From what I've seen, programs don't remain competitive consistently -- unless they're doing something to keep it that way.

A good group of kids comes through. It happens. And then things go back to as before.

This is my main objection with Success Factor. By the time it goes into play the kids responsible for it happening aren't part of the program any longer.

Most kids who transfer for athletics only move on paper and not in reality. At least on the South Side/ Suburbs.
I get that. I'm a-okay with enforcing the residency rules. Just don't want exclusion for transferring.

So just on the fact that it happened in rural Georgia and it was reported that it came from a baseball player makes it more believable to you?

Hmmm.

So am I then allowed to believe that I should expect to see more crime in urban areas and I should canvas the neighborhoods for basketball players any time a 7-11 gets knocked over?

Please tell us more about our racism.
Yes. I expect to see more of this type of behavior in areas of the country where Confederate flags and Confederate statues are popular. No, I am not surprised that it was a baseball player, I also was not surprised that while the NBA and NFL players have voiced concerns over certain issues the MLB has been largely silent. Not surprised at all.

Yes, you should expect to see more crime in urban areas, there's more people and more poverty. I'm not going to give you the whole history lesson here as I have been trying to keep it on the topic.

Smarten up kid.

Yes. I expect to see more of this type of behavior in areas of the country where Confederate flags and Confederate statues are popular. No, I am not surprised that it was a baseball player, I also was not surprised that while the NBA and NFL players have voiced concerns over certain issues the MLB has been largely silent. Not surprised at all.

Yes, you should expect to see more crime in urban areas, there's more people and more poverty. I'm not going to give you the whole history lesson here as I have been trying to keep it on the topic.

Smarten up kid.
It's clear I have a lot to learn.

From what I've seen, programs don't remain competitive consistently -- unless they're doing something to keep it that way.

doing something that breaks the rules? or just "outworking" everyone?

the ihsa football landscape is full of programs that are consistently strong year in and year out, as well as those one-off programs that come around once in awhile.

doing something that breaks the rules? or just "outworking" everyone?

the ihsa football landscape is full of programs that are consistently strong year in and year out, as well as those one-off programs that come around once in awhile.
There's no program here or anywhere else that wins consistently without talented players.

Give the world's best chef a lump of cow manure to start with and you ain't gettin' a soufflé...

If you wanna contend that certain towns just have consistent waves of talented players I'd suggest you add a laugh track.

Just fascinated by the teams across all sports who have to rely on a steady stream of transfer to stay good and rarely rely on four year players in their program.

We have a system of local property taxes pay for the local schools. If everyone could transfer wherever they wanted, then students could attend schools where their parents are not paying property taxes to. First you would need a centralized distribution of all education money if you wanted free and open transfers. Primarily this would mean a big budget cut for almost everyone in NE Illinois. No free transfers without a change to the economic system we currently have.

Next I do not understand how state wide open enrollment (kids can go wherever) squares with size limits. What if 6,000 kids want to go to New Trier? You can’t fit 6,000 in the school so who decides? Residency? What if locals already fill up the school, then there is no free transfer to New Trier. What about an academic test? Will it be honest and some of the best athletes don’t get in or will administration get to bring in 30 students a year despite the test for “diversity” reasons. Will a test simply segregate schools into advantaged and disadvantaged buildings?

Really an open transfer rule benefits parents of means who can afford a 2nd home or 30 miles of transportation one way to get their kids to the school. How will a single mom making 30k be able to get her kid from Burlington to New Trier each day?

I have thought of one true idea to make all sports, at the high school level, equal and fair. Get rid of them. No school sponsored athletic activity allowed. Put the whole thing in the hands of private companies (travel teams) and local park districts. Eliminate sports at the high school and have them focus on academics and activities only. Saves money directly (salaries, equipment, insurance) and indirectly (sell off now unused land in some lucrative areas). Let local park districts offer competitive sports and have the travel sports industry take the ultra competitive have to pay to play travel ball, but you are also going to have to pay to get your kid to the school they want 30 miles away.

@amishhunter

Who was that directed at? Also I think we got away from the topic @corey90 posted.

I think we are talking past each other and conflating terms here. For the record I am not advocating for being able to go wherever you want regardless of where you live. I am saying you go to school in the district you live/pay taxes. If you move, for whatever reason, and you transfer you should not have to sit out, even if you moved for football. Furthermore if you choose to go private then choose a different private you shouldn't have to sit out. The 2nd choice is the same as the 1st. If you choose to stop going to your private school and instead go to your local school you shouldn't have to sit out. If you decide to stop going to your local public and go private you shouldn't have to sit out. I am okay with enforcing the 30 mile radius (although this benefits urban areas over rural with private choices). I am okay with enforcing residency.

Punishing kids with sitting out because they switched schools seems to miss the point.

I have thought of one true idea to make all sports, at the high school level, equal and fair. Get rid of them. No school sponsored athletic activity allowed. Put the whole thing in the hands of private companies (travel teams) and local park districts.
This works really well already. Just look at 7v7 leagues, AAU, and travel baseball teams. Those work really well for the kids and are not just money grabs for the coaches at alllllll. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's like we're asking the IHSA to extend into something they couldn't really begin to legislate correctly and most people don't even have the confidence in them to do it, but are calling for it.

I just think we'd be better served allowing the legal transfers and simply classifying schools better. I don't like recruiting more than the next man, but even more than that I don't like kids sitting out.

While I agree with you Bones about kids sitting out, I also don’t like parents cheating the system. It’s not just in Illinois it’s all over the country. Case in point 2 players transferring to a crosstown rival school to win a State Championship and national prominence only to return to their home school after the season ended. Tell me that is okay. It reminds me how the rich Hollywood parents cheated to get their kids in to prestigious colleges. Again I feel for the true hardships but it’s seems to me they are now becoming exception not the majority.

Reactions: Mr. Speed
Top- he is NOT first cousins with his teammate. From his own words he gave in an interview, he got to know him on the camp circuit.
Hmmm - well why dont you tweet with the kids mom - this tweet seems to verify the relationship but hey you already know everything right?

PEACHES (Denver Humble Beast Warren's) MOM‏@ourfuture2012
PEACHES (Denver Humble Beast Warren's) MOM Retweeted Justin Jefferson

Look at my nephew, slamming and taking names!!!!!! That’s right baby boy showing NO FEAR because there isn’t any!!! Anybody can get it!!! They see you!!! They feel you!!! We love you Justin!!!
1f48b.png
2764.png
1f3c8.png
Stay humble
1f64f.png
!!!

PEACHES (Denver Humble Beast Warren's) MOM added,

wYLc1B3PCT1FFKd1.jpg

Justin Jefferson@justinjeff2020
26a1.png
“2019 camp season”
Show this thread