ADVERTISEMENT

High School Transfers

corey90

Aug 27, 2005
Crown Point, IN
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...15/08/24/mick-mccabe-transfers-part/32252047/

I know this has been brought up in the past but I thought it was worthy of more discussion.
I don’t like it when I see a transfer occur for a players senior year. This seems to be happening more and more and in my opinion this is teaching the kids bad values. It’s like cheating without calling it cheating. More than not it’s the parents to blame.
I read articles out of California where 2 students transferred for just the football season then transfer back to their original school.
This Michigan article is an interesting read on the topic.

Sounds extremely fimilar to an major senior transfer that just happened here. Picked up the family and “moved” because Dad got a new job 40 minutes away....their senior year...the whole sit out a year in Illinois is done, loop holes can be found for just about every situation, I’ve heard of families claiming separation or divorce so one of them can temporarily move out....sad but it will continue to happen.

Sounds extremely fimilar to an major senior transfer that just happened here. Picked up the family and “moved” because Dad got a new job 40 minutes away....their senior year...the whole sit out a year in Illinois is done, loop holes can be found for just about every situation, I’ve heard of families claiming separation or divorce so one of them can temporarily move out....sad but it will continue to happen.
Cry me a river....

Cry me a river....
Am I wrong?? Not crying, just stating facts. I’m not saying MC and many other schools hasn’t benefited from these situations before because they have, not saying it’s right though. Don’t try to sell that this transfer was strictly based upon a move though because nobody’s buying it. And knowing how you are you’d be the one crying foul if another school got the transfer and your lying if you say otherwise

Last edited:
Well this thread won’t last but my thought is if kids want to transfer good for them they should transfer as much as they want since teaching your kids when they are in a tough situation the best thing you can do is quit and move on is important and will serve them well as adults. I choose not to raise my kids that way but if that’s what you want to do feel free to do as you want.

Well this thread won’t last but my thought is if kids want to transfer good for them they should transfer as much as they want since teaching your kids when they are in a tough situation the best thing you can do is quit and move on is important and will serve them well as adults. I choose not to raise my kids that way but if that’s what you want to do feel free to do as you want.
110% agree with you....I also agree this will get flushed and I wish it wouldn’t because this is a big topic of discussion, especially this year, that we as fans should be able to discuss/debate amoungest each other.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
State law is that a student, if attending a public school, attends a school in the district in which he or she resides. If the parents move, the child has to switch schools to the new district or pay tuition. If the student was a third string running back who runs a 5.2 forty, would you care? No. How about the fourth string guard from LWE? No you wouldn't care - although if they moved a couple of miles and ended up in the Peotone school district he might suddenly become a starter...

Have I seen the system abused? Certainly. Parents suddenly decide to rent out their house and go rent in another district? And they move back after a year...Sure, it was athletically motivated. But they followed the rules. Move from Bradley to Kankakee so junior can transfer to Mac? Sure. Dwight to Wilmington - state title starter at fullback was such a senior transfer (but probably only the fifth or sixth best back in the system...lol)...Quit trying to make rules for the 1% that screw over the bottom 20% who just want to play...What if the parent works for the municipality or school district and is required to move to the new community? Screw the kid because some Power 5 recruits want to bounce school to school?

As long as the discussion does not go off the rails, this thread shouldn't get flushed. It's a legitimate topic of discussion. Football seems to be catching up to basketball in the transfer game. It definitely seems to be more widespread now.

Am I wrong?? Not crying, just stating facts. I’m not saying MC and many other schools hasn’t benefited from these situations before because they have, not saying it’s right though. Don’t try to sell that this transfer was strictly based upon a move though because nobody’s buying it. And knowing how you are you’d be the one crying foul if another school got the transfer and your lying if you say otherwise
I’m going to assume you know zero about the situation than what you’ve read on here. Sorry he didn’t choose MC. Get over it.

As long as the discussion does not go off the rails, this thread shouldn't get flushed. It's a legitimate topic of discussion. Football seems to be catching up to basketball in the transfer game. It definitely seems to be more widespread now.

Thanks Pjjp
I wouldn’t think it would be flushed unless like you said posters start going off the rails.

What do you think about limiting transfers to only out of state. If in state you have to sit out 1 year. This would at least stop the cross town jumping etc.

I'd like to hear more about the Senior year transfers who did not work out and turned into a disaster for the kid. You never here those stories.

The kid goes from being starter on average team to riding the pine on a really good one and still doesn’t get a scholarship, I can think of a few.

I’m going to assume you know zero about the situation than what you’ve read on here. Sorry he didn’t choose MC. Get over it.
Didn’t chose MC??? You know what, so many things I want to fire back at you but will refrain to keep this thread going, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.

Reactions: USD24
Thanks Pjjp
I wouldn’t think it would be flushed unless like you said posters start going off the rails.

What do you think about limiting transfers to only out of state. If in state you have to sit out 1 year. This would at least stop the cross town jumping etc.
I’ve been following High School football for 40 years and that used to be the rule, especially when a private school was involved, no exceptions, you sat a year...then loop holes were found that were instituted for families that had legitimate reasons....financial hardships...legit moves and or family issues...student was legit victim of bullying or a crime...Some of these transfers may legitimately be for those reasons, but due to the fact that so many have been cooked up we’re forced to question all of them now.

I’ve been following High School football for 40 years and that used to be the rule, especially when a private school was involved, no exceptions, you sat a year...then loop holes were found that were instituted for families that had legitimate reasons....financial hardships...legit moves and or family issues...student was legit victim of bullying or a crime...Some of these transfers may legitimately be for those reasons, but due to the fact that so many have been cooked up we’re forced to question all of them now.

I get it but at some point you have to hold the line. I think the tide has changed and your seeing more and more parents taking advantage of the system. I believe that now the 1% are the ones who legitimately have a hardship case. Sad but this is now the world we live in. The rule changed to help the hardships and now they opened the door for people to take advantage of the rule.

All.... The Glenwood Titans out of the Central State Eight Conference (Class 6A) after a good 2018 season was looking forward to better one with what they had coming back on that team.

With two transfers arriving in town for their senior year things appear to be shifting that way. Narkel Leflore (Lanphier) the leading rusher in the CS8 in 2018. And all state QB Ian Benner (Maroa-Forsyth) having played in three straight finals. The Titans already have a stud qb Luke Lehnen so at 6'3" with blazing speed young Mr. Benner will be a receiver and play some defense. He is also a very good baseball player. CG's baseball program has a rich history of above average play.

For those that are not familiar with Chatham/ Glenwood High they are a public school. Ratsy

Last edited:
I get it but at some point you have to hold the line. I think the tide has changed and your seeing more and more parents taking advantage of the system. I believe that now the 1% are the ones who legitimately have a hardship case. Sad but this is now the world we live in. The rule changed to help the hardships and now they opened the door for people to take advantage of the rule.

Why do you feel people shouldn’t be able to go to the school they want and play? If they are following the rules why does it matter?

Why do you feel people shouldn’t be able to go to the school they want and play? If they are following the rules why does it matter?

My opinion is parents are working the rules and as another poster pointed out they changed the rules for the hardship reasons. LHS when you have coaches across the country complaining about the transfer issue you know something isn’t right.

Reactions: McCaravan
I see absolutely no reason for a kid to sit out. You get 4 years. I know we want to preserve the integrity of the game, but to me that kid (any kid) playing trumps all.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Every kid that transfers is another kid sitting out.
When I transferred from BHS to DGS I wasn't taking anyone's starting spot if I would've continued playing FB. I just don't agree with taking punitive action against a kid for switching schools. What's the purpose?

Reactions: LHSTigers94
My opinion is parents are working the rules and as another poster pointed out they changed the rules for the hardship reasons. LHS when you have coaches across the country complaining about the transfer issue you know something isn’t right.

But why are they complaining? What does it have to do with them? I acknowledge that people have an issue however I don’t understand it. Never understood the true reason why it is an issue.

When I transferred from BHS to DGS I wasn't taking anyone's starting spot if I would've continued playing FB. I just don't agree with taking punitive action against a kid for switching schools. What's the purpose?
Maybe I’m missing something... you transferred and didn’t take anyone’s starting spot? Did you play then? Or were they planning on going 10 on 11 until you arrived?

McCaravan - you know JACK about the kid's situation and his move (which yes was necessary, which the family opted to do (which is their right), which actually happened, he and his family (which used to live close to Rice now live once again close to Rice and that his first cousin plays for Rice too) and now he has to pay for his education instead of getting it paid for by the taxpayers. How you feel you can adjudicate the circumstances makes you look petty. MC has had 2 footballers transfer in to the Varsity for this upcoming season so please save the high horse.

Maybe I’m missing something... you transferred and didn’t take anyone’s starting spot? Did you play then? Or were they planning on going 10 on 11 until you arrived?
I think they were planning on cancelling the season until the bus dropped me off. But I told them I wasn't playing at all and convinced them to proceed. All I had to offer was a decent 40 time and some solid entertainment on the sidelines.

Here's a question: do cheerleaders and pom poms sit out a year for transferring?

McCaravan - you know JACK about the kid's situation and his move (which yes was necessary, which the family opted to do (which is their right), which actually happened, he and his family (which used to live close to Rice now live once again close to Rice and that his first cousin plays for Rice too) and now he has to pay for his education instead of getting it paid for by the taxpayers. How you feel you can adjudicate the circumstances makes you look petty. MC has had 2 footballers transfer in to the Varsity for this upcoming season so please save the high horse.

And we are off to getting another thread flushed, why don’t you guys get a room or better yet send a DM so no one else has to watch this train wreck?

Reactions: McCaravan
Feel free to DM me Top. You’ve always been a straight shooter on this site I’m not going to get in a pissing match with you over this....or don’t I really don’t care either way, I’ll trust what I’ve heard from the people I actually know.

I think they were planning on cancelling the season until the bus dropped me off. But I told them I wasn't playing at all and convinced them to proceed. All I had to offer was a decent 40 time and some solid entertainment on the sidelines.

Here's a question: do cheerleaders and pom poms sit out a year for transferring?
LMAO, Classic reply.

Bones, I am becoming mildly concerned about my off-season state of mind after agreeing / liking several of your recent posts.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
But why are they complaining? What does it have to do with them? I acknowledge that people have an issue however I don’t understand it. Never understood the true reason why it is an issue.

Well I think what the coaches are saying is the transfers are not bench warmers but actually starters who decide to go to another school for a possible State Championship and potential college exposure. In the mean time the school they left now has to compete without them and possibly against them. Their is no (I) in team but in some not all of these cases it’s becoming clear the teammates and school come secondary. No mistaking if the parents are not on board this type of stuff doesn’t happen. Before you jump down my throat I don’t believe it’s in all cases but clearly when a kid jumps ship for the season only to return to the school right after the season ends it’s clearly for themselves.
If your okay with that then that’s your right. It doesn’t sound right to me.

Bones your smarter than that. You may of been the opposite of what’s happening. A lot of these kids transferring isn’t about their parents job or a financial situation. This is working the system to improve the exposure of the athletes. The parents are behind this and are the drivers. Sure some HS coaches maybe stoking the fire but it doesn’t happen if the parents are not on board.
If your okay with kids jumping year after year from one school to another then so be it. I don’t think it shows good values, but that’s my opinion.

Reactions: Truth is Out There
Well I think what the coaches are saying is the transfers are not bench warmers but actually starters who decide to go to another school for a possible State Championship and potential college exposure. In the mean time the school they left now has to compete without them and possibly against them. Their is no (I) in team but in some not all of these cases it’s becoming clear the teammates and school come secondary. No mistaking if the parents are not on board this type of stuff doesn’t happen. Before you jump down my throat I don’t believe it’s in all cases but clearly when a kid jumps ship for the season only to return to the school right after the season ends it’s clearly for themselves.
If your okay with that then that’s your right. It doesn’t sound right to me.

Schools lose kids all the time for reasons other then transfers, are we going to criticize those kids to since they aren’t all about the team? If a kid wants to transfer or isn’t fully committed good luck to him since I don’t want him on my team.

New policy= Approve all transfers regardless of sport, but don't allow postseason participation year one. That'll freeze up some movement, in hoops 30 game showcase to colleges, 9 games for football , and so on. Regular season is longer than the postseason so plenty of game film

New policy= Approve all transfers regardless of sport, but don't allow postseason participation year one. That'll freeze up some movement, in hoops 30 game showcase to colleges, 9 games for football , and so on. Regular season is longer than the postseason so plenty of game film

Their you go. I like your creativity. I think that would really make everyone think twice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT